PDA

View Full Version : where will the modem go ?

jtfab75
17-08-2007, 00:16
we're getting 20mb broadband with VIP in a few weeks time.we're currently getting 1mb from a set top box in my brothers bedroom.
will the new modem be fitted in my brothers bedroom or downstairs ?
thanks

ian@huth
17-08-2007, 00:33
we're getting 20mb broadband with VIP in a few weeks time.we're currently getting 1mb from a set top box in my brothers bedroom.
will the new modem be fitted in my brothers bedroom or downstairs ?
thanksIt will go in either place or somewhere else.

Mrcon
17-08-2007, 00:41
Guessing downstairs.

Where do they put it if you have no Virgin BB but only TV, downstairs?

Paul K
17-08-2007, 06:49
They normally try to install the modem where you want it within reason. I would suggest you ask them to locate it as near the PC as possible in case you need to restart the modem at all for network/ connection issues.
Where do they put it if you have no Virgin BB but only TV, downstairs?
Same answer, ask them to put it where you want it and as long as it's not an abnormal install you should get it done.

smiffing
17-08-2007, 06:54
I asked for a load of cable left spare and looped, the techs obliged and I can run my modem from wherever I want now, I do have to hide the cable but hey, that's not a problem as I have hidden it behind the furniture.

Good techs.

jtfab75
17-08-2007, 07:06
the wireless router is in my brothers room already, so if we have to move it downstairs my mum won't like it

LaineY
17-08-2007, 08:51
im guessing u have the STB 1mb with the Wireless Access Point we provided you...

if thats the case and you are getting a cable modem fitted.. that wireless access point cannot be used with a modem.. well .. it can be (but we wont support help on it) as you got it with a STB that gives you a 1mb con. theres no guarentees that wireless access point can handle above 1mb as it has been reported.. customers using them on 10mb and getting extremely slow transfer rates.

jtfab75
17-08-2007, 09:01
we did use the wireless acess point provided by telewest but since we now have 2 pc's in the house i bought a netgear wireless router.i want the router and modem next to each other.

PaulH225
17-08-2007, 09:31
They will put it wherever you want it (within reason). When I had mine installed they put a splitter behind the TV and then ran cable around half my living room, into the hall and then into the study. Nice neat tidy job they did too!

If you're keeping an STB in your brother's room they'll most likely put a splitter before the STB in your brother's room and run the CM off that. If you're not keeping an STB in there, then the existing cable can be re-used for the CM.

Hope that helps

jtfab75
17-08-2007, 10:15
They will put it wherever you want it (within reason). When I had mine installed they put a splitter behind the TV and then ran cable around half my living room, into the hall and then into the study. Nice neat tidy job they did too!

If you're keeping an STB in your brother's room they'll most likely put a splitter before the STB in your brother's room and run the CM off that. If you're not keeping an STB in there, then the existing cable can be re-used for the CM.

Hope that helps

thanks for that,yeh my brother is upgrading to V+ so he'll still have a box