PDA

View Full Version : ex NTL webcaches being decomissioned?

jaycee
16-08-2007, 15:52
I just got this page today as my browser was set to use the Cambridge webcache:

http://cache-removal.virginmedia.com/

Does this mean that Virgin are finally decomissioning the transparent web caching systems?

Paul K
16-08-2007, 15:55
Yep as stated quite a while back on the forum ;)

jaycee
16-08-2007, 16:09
Oh! I haven't been keeping up to date here... I did have a quick shuftie and couldn't spot anything though...

It's about time though :)

Paul K
16-08-2007, 16:11
Aye, that it is, now all they need to do is get the rest of the backbone and network infrastructure running in a stable fashion under load and we will all be happy ;)

jaycee
16-08-2007, 16:19
I won't be holding my breath there!!

Although, I have had little problem since I was installed by NTL 3 years ago... I've only ever had to call an engineer out once in that time, and the problem was due to electrical damage in the cabinet (affected the whole street). I'm always able to use my maximum bandwidth when it's needed.

So all in all I'm happy, unlike a friend who moved to ADSL, won over by the "Up to 8Mbit" claims - and gets a grand total of 700Kbit sync speed which BT won't do anything about!

Graham M
16-08-2007, 17:07
So all in all I'm happy, unlike a friend who moved to ADSL, won over by the "Up to 8Mbit" claims - and gets a grand total of 700Kbit sync speed which BT won't do anything about!

Maybe not won't, more likely can't

amateurfool
16-08-2007, 17:09
Maybe not won't, more likely can't

Probably a bit of both.

StanleyNTL
16-08-2007, 20:11
I've had this message too. How can we be sure that speeds will improve?
Can we still use NTL proxies to improve speed if needs be???:rolleyes:

Matth
16-08-2007, 20:13
Noticed it a week or two ago (poplar), when my old trick of turning on the proxy for some sites that were oodles faster with it than without.

So then I went hunting for any still-enabled proxies (found some in other areas).
Then I tuned the window & scaling, no improvement.

Finally, a TCP analyser report through the quick proxy, showed that it has timestamping enabled, so I did that, and the throughput improved, I guess the problem was false packet loss indication and resend, due to inaccurate RTT estimation.