PDA

View Full Version : linksys router crashing when uploading

leedsdoggod
15-08-2007, 23:34
Hi there

I have a linksys WRT54GC which has a problem when uploading to the internet.

I am attached to virgin's network via a cable modem. I have tried this router at a couple of peoples houses with different virgin and cable wireless modems and it is the same story.

If uploading data either through FTP programs or bit torrents then after a few minutes the connection to the internet is lost for everyone on the network and the router cannot be pinged. Stopping the offending upload program clears the problem in a minute or so. (I think I can even recreate the program by going on myspace pages too, something to do with the music I think)

I don't have this problem when using an older Linksys router (the clasic one, can't remember the number).

I have the latest firmware on the router and I have the problem from a factory reset condition (the only change being the IP address to 192.168.0.1). I have tried MTU values of 1500, 1462, 1400, 1362 and 1300 as suggested in the router manual.

Any ideas

t
h
advance
n
k
s

Andy

trebor
16-08-2007, 00:15
sorry no solution but i have the same problem with a dlink router on adsl while uploading with frontpage. so that sorta says its a windows / ms issue.

Toilet-Duck
16-08-2007, 07:22
This is actually to do with some routers, some manufactures decide to put low memory inside the router so they cant handle many connections, either limit the amount of connections or get a better router.

My DIR-655 or PRE-N router dont do this however my old Linksys WAP54G use to do this.

mmm
16-08-2007, 08:38
I don't know that router, but this is a common problem with them not being designed for modern apps. Routers such as the WRT54GL and 3rd party firmware can greatly increase the number of connections being 'tracked' and reduce the time before forgetting about them, typically from days down to minutes. Seems like some table in the router fills up, it crashes and reboots. May be worth checking for a firmware upgrade from Linksys?

One thing you can do is greatly reduce the number of connections you allow bittorrent to use, from 100s to 10 or 20?

LaineY
16-08-2007, 09:13
I have a WRT54G Router through my Motorola Surfboard SB5101E and have no issues through it.. however i did have a EPC2100 REVISION 1 modem with my linksys through it and every time i opened torrents it would max out the upstream on the modem.. not the router..

there for i needed a replacement modem...

but if you have tried it at you're friends houses and they have different modems and the router is still doing it no matter what.. i would suggest getting yourself a new router..

Hope this helped

leedsdoggod
16-08-2007, 10:11
The thing is that this is a new router (well new ish) whereas the old BEFSR41 gave no problems whatsoever.

Ho Hum

LaineY
16-08-2007, 10:40
it can only be the router bud... if thats the case..

is it under warrenty.. can you return it for intermittant connection ?

i would have marched straight down to the shop with it.

Begize
16-08-2007, 18:53
I would say it's the router too. I had two of the cheap and nasty WKPC54G's which did the same thing. In the end ditched them and switched to Netgear which never puts a foot wrong.

The WRT54G's are supposed to be dead reliable and I think yours is just an updated version of that so I think you may just be unlucky.

Doofy
16-08-2007, 19:09
I have the same router and used to suffer the same problem so in despair i flashed it with a custom firmware and end of problems been solid as a rock ever since. It now has the ddwrt firmware on...

mmm
16-08-2007, 20:32
I don't think you have the same router - the GC 'compact' is very different to the classic WRT54GL (new WRT54G and GS are bad as well)