PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Modems

trevortt
14-08-2007, 18:30
Hi,

I would like to up my current connection 4MB to the 20MB but i do not want to get the standard modem from Blueyonder (Virgin)

I am currently on the Motorola Surfboard SB4100 which will not take a 20MB connection.

Instead i would like to get this one (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb5120/)

Does anyone know where i can get one from in the UK as they all seem to be available in the USA.

Mick Fisher
14-08-2007, 18:32
You can only use modems supplied by VM.

trevortt
14-08-2007, 18:49
You can only use modems supplied by VM.

Well thats bull, i am sure as long as i register the MAC address of the modem with them they should be fine with it?

dilli-theclaw
14-08-2007, 18:54
No they won't be fine with it.

Mick Fisher
14-08-2007, 19:29
Well thats bull, i am sure as long as i register the MAC address of the modem with them they should be fine with it?
Go ahead and buy your modem, try to register it, get disappointed at having wasted your money :shrug: you will be the only one who cares. :)

v0id
14-08-2007, 20:28
You can't even buy them legally in this country anyway can you?

When you phone up for a modem swap, specifically ask for the motorola modem, tell them you need one with a vertical stand as you have no space to lay it horizontally. If you catch a CS rep in a good mood, you might get one ;)

trevortt
14-08-2007, 22:59
Why the hell cant u get your own modem, why dop you have to use their own, i would prefer a Motorola modem as their other models are crap.

You can't even buy them legally in this country anyway can you?

Whats so illegal about buying a modem?

Graham M
14-08-2007, 23:01
Crap how?

trevortt
14-08-2007, 23:37
Crap how?

Well i hear alot of people complaining that their units overheat alot & drop the connections.

v0id
15-08-2007, 00:08
err it's more likely that the motorola modems would overheat, I'd have thought as they have internal power supplies :confused:

Do as I suggested, and request one when you put in for a replacement. It's worked for a few people wo reported on the the newsgroups. Me personally, I'm more than happy with the tiny (cheap looking) SA 2100 that was sent me.

Whats so illegal about buying a modem?

AFAIK no retailer sticks motorolla modems over here, so the only way to buy one is from ebay or the like, which would [more than likely] be buying stolen goods as those with UK plugs would be property of virginmedia

spiderplant
15-08-2007, 09:00
Why the hell cant u get your own modem, why dop you have to use their own, i would prefer a Motorola modem as their other models are crap.
According to Motorola's own website, the one you want has "speeds up to 100 times faster than with traditional 28.8k analog phone modems". So that's 2.88Mbps - slower than your SB4100.

Not to mention it being a US-standard modem that simply won't work on EuroDOCSIS networks.

Rockabilly Spike
15-08-2007, 12:14
what would be the point of buying and owning a cable modem? its not like if you left Virgin you could go to another UK cable co. with the same modem and get a connection with them instead.

trevortt
15-08-2007, 17:44
err it's more likely that the motorola modems would overheat, I'd have thought as they have internal power supplies :confused:

Do as I suggested, and request one when you put in for a replacement. It's worked for a few people wo reported on the the newsgroups. Me personally, I'm more than happy with the tiny (cheap looking) SA 2100 that was sent me.

AFAIK no retailer sticks motorolla modems over here, so the only way to buy one is from ebay or the like, which would [more than likely] be buying stolen goods as those with UK plugs would be property of virginmedia

No i have seen various American retailers selling them none of which are eBay relating plus the Motorola site in America sells them too.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

what would be the point of buying and owning a cable modem? its not like if you left Virgin you could go to another UK cable co. with the same modem and get a connection with them instead.

it has a much wider support and also includes more performance than a standard modem would.

Graham M
15-08-2007, 17:50
including the fact that basically VM are the ONLY CableCo in the UK

trevortt
15-08-2007, 17:55
Buying Cable Modems

Cable modems are starting to become widely available to consumers who'd like to buy their own units. Cable companies also lease modems to subscribers so that they won't have to deal with obsolescence issues as the technology evolves.

It may save you money in the long run to purchase your own modem. As DOCSIS becomes the industry standard you shouldn't have to worry about the modem being incompatible with another system if you move. When buying a modem, make sure that it is compatible with your system. There are still a few non-DOCSIS networks out there.

Cable modems range in price from $120 to $200, though a sale can knock quite a bit off that price. They can be found at retail outlets specializing in home electronics and at various online stores.

Source (http://www.cable-modem.net/tt/primer.html)

There is no mention on there that it is illegal.

What did you all do when you had 56k internet, did you not buy your own modems?

Druchii
15-08-2007, 17:57
Buying Cable Modems

Cable modems are starting to become widely available to consumers who'd like to buy their own units. Cable companies also lease modems to subscribers so that they won't have to deal with obsolescence issues as the technology evolves.

It may save you money in the long run to purchase your own modem. As DOCSIS becomes the industry standard you shouldn't have to worry about the modem being incompatible with another system if you move. When buying a modem, make sure that it is compatible with your system. There are still a few non-DOCSIS networks out there.

Cable modems range in price from $120 to $200, though a sale can knock quite a bit off that price. They can be found at retail outlets specializing in home electronics and at various online stores.

What did you all do when you had 56k internet, did you not buy your own modems?
Virgin Medias terms of service clearly state that only the modem supplied by them shall be used on their supplied connection.

In other words, use theirs, or don't access your cable connection.

Dark Fiber
15-08-2007, 18:17
Buying Cable Modems ...

Cable modems are starting to become widely available to consumers who'd like to buy their own units. [snip]

Americans write as though the US was the only place on the planet. Please don't encourage them by going along with the idea!

trevortt
15-08-2007, 18:19
Okay then, i shall stay with my own. Cheers people.

v0id
16-08-2007, 19:22
Cable-Modem.net, Chicago, IL, USA

That site isn't talking about UK cable. Cable modems aren't available to purchase legally over here.

Boab
16-08-2007, 19:58
Actually you can legally purchase cable modems in the UK. Unsure about new, but second hand on ebay for example is legal if you purchased yourself. I bought my own CM when Ntl started its CM service so therefor the CM is mine and not Ntl/Virgins. I have one of these lying about somewhere. You need to get CS to add the MAC to the network to access full internet access tho'

dontpannic
17-08-2007, 10:04
I can't believe after being told no less than 5 times by at least 5 different people he still thought that everyone was talking rubbish.

Just to re-iterate and hopefully you can understand this:

You CANNOT buy your own modem and use it on VM's network - there is more potential for hacked modems this way and illegal firmware downloads which can constitute to stealing services.

In the USA, there are numerous different cable companies in different parts of the country - meaning if you purchase your own modem, you can use it in different parts of the country with only re-registering MAC addresses.

The VM supplied modems are not crap - I've had mine for ages now, and it has been solidly on at a full 10/20mb connection for the past 6 months at least, no drop outs and no overheating - VM255 modem.

Fair play you've taken the advice on board. There is a reason they aren't sold in this country apart from eBay!

Nilrem
17-08-2007, 10:13
Aye, the only reason you can't buy them legally here now is because there isn't a market (since NTL/BY started renting them), rather than a more complicated issue (there is nothing to stop Dabs for example sourcing them from 3com/motorolla and selling them, apart from the lack of customers for them;)).- although even if you could buy them new legally you wouldn't be able to use them due to the T&C of the service which state you have to use the modem provided by Virgin.

Like Boab, originally I had to buy my cable modem when I first signed up for NTL (back in 2000 or thereabouts), as at the time it wasn't supplied as a rental, instead after you booked the installation you were passed onto to a third party company who sold you a new modem approved by NTL (so I could in theory have sold my old modem legally as it was mine rather than a rental - although ntl/virgin wouldn't have activated for someone else now I strongly suspect).
That situation changed about 5 years ago, when NTL/BY started including modem rental in the service charge.

Nowadays Virgin supply the modem and as such it remains their property, so there is no reason for third parties to sell new modems (and even if they did Virgin won't allow them on their network, and may not even have configs for them).

Chris
17-08-2007, 12:37
Moved - belatedly - to Internet Services Discussion.