PDA

View Full Version : Static IP?

burns
13-08-2007, 22:20
Is it possible to request a static IP from Vm? If so, how much does it cost?

Stuart
13-08-2007, 22:31
Not on a residential account.

burns
13-08-2007, 22:38
does that mean if your on a residenrtial account you have to change to a different account?

Graham M
13-08-2007, 22:42
Yep but the likelihood of being offered a business account at a residential address is low, and a much higher price is asked for the same kind of service

xspeedyx
13-08-2007, 23:26
VM ip are all dymanic and doubt very much you will get a business account at ur home if you dnt want to change ur ip address just dont switch your modem off as the only time your ip adddress will change is if you switch the power off to the modem and then it is reassign a new ip address

7@m3 G33k
13-08-2007, 23:35
does that mean if your on a residenrtial account you have to change to a different account?

Yes...an ADSL account :sorry:
Not sure if Virgin ADSL do static IP addresses but several other ISPs do.

Wolfeymole
14-08-2007, 00:29
It doesn't really matter whether the IP changes or not.
Don't believe me?
See if you actually live where your IP says you do.
http://www.ip-adress.com/

Click the bigger image to get the satellite location.

cybernetic_tiger
14-08-2007, 01:23
Fixed IP addresses are available on business cable modems (dynamically assigned with a long lease time) this service is not as expensive as you may have thought.

A 10Mb business cable modem (with 750k upload) comes bundelled with a business phone line for around just £40 per month. The benifits include a 4hr SLA on the phoneline and a 40hr SLA on the cable modem service. On-shore support and customer services via 0800 numbers 24/7.

Also if you did want any of these services at a residential address you can be "Joe Bloggs enterprises"

Business ADSL packages all come with a dynamically assigned IP address which is fixed due to the fact that it is related to your username and password. However you then have BT Wholesale in the mix and that is never a good idea.

HTH

burns
14-08-2007, 08:44
ok, so as long as I don't turn off the modem the IP will remain the same?

Do you have to be a business to get one of these business accounts, as I work from home and the company I work for has requested that I have a static ip.

would it be cheaper/easier to get another isp setup?

steve1961
14-08-2007, 09:11
Why not just go to www.dyndns.com You can add a fixed domain to your dynamic ip which is kept up to date even when the ip changes

Retrovertigo
14-08-2007, 21:05
Why do they do dynamic I.P addresses? I have never understood this. If every new customer is given an i.p address on connection, why isn't that then kept?

It's always puzzled me.

SMHarman
14-08-2007, 21:15
Why do they do dynamic I.P addresses? I have never understood this. If every new customer is given an i.p address on connection, why isn't that then kept?

It's always puzzled me.Your IP is fairly static, however when the resegment the network or do some other maintainance then the IP address can change. For business customers they will need to let them know. For residential there is no obligation so they can just change it.
Most internet users really don't care what their IP address is, just like most electricity or gas customers don't really care the route that the gas or electricity takes to get to their house.

Stuart
14-08-2007, 21:47
Don't believe me?

You sure that's accurate? While it correctly got the town where my work computer is installed, it placed it in the wrong borough.

Toto
14-08-2007, 21:58
Nope, its not that accurate, when I checked mine it goes to the wrong district to where I live, not too far off though, but well over 5 miles.

jcw00
14-08-2007, 22:17
Town correct, but wrong county in fact two counties out.
Also address shows as being in a middle of a round-about.

Hom3r
14-08-2007, 22:25
Don't believe me?

When I had a proxy enabled it was 30 ish miles out, when I turned of proxies it was correct

SMHarman
14-08-2007, 22:52
30 miles out and in a different state but it gets the owner right.

lordy
15-08-2007, 01:36
On my ADSL Line (Fixed IP) it puts me in Telford/Wolverhampton. I'm in Kent.

Toto
16-08-2007, 13:51
30 miles out and in a different state but it gets the owner right.

Should get the owner right, given that the IP address assignment is public information. :)

rockabillybass
16-08-2007, 19:11
Town correct, but wrong county in fact two counties out.
Also address shows as being in a middle of a round-about.

I can beat that. Mine shows me in the middle of a river. :)