PDA

View Full Version : Ping and Gaming

jona_b
13-08-2007, 12:19
jsut fed up with this service lol everyday from half 5 and 9am pings are like 12 to bbc and i can paly games (if theres enyone on) but come 10am that it pings are sky high lag on games can someone please explain to me why. i don't really download enything i just use it for gaming

before enyone asks
no its not my computer
no its the gaming servers
no i ahve no router

my setup is fine
its 100% virginmedia

can enyone expalin how pings are measured and why they go higher at certain times

evilmonkey
13-08-2007, 12:50
jsut fed up with this service lol everyday from half 5 and 9am pings are like 12 to bbc and i can paly games (if theres enyone on) but come 10am that it pings are sky high lag on games can someone please explain to me why. i don't really download enything i just use it for gaming

before enyone asks
no its not my computer
no i ahve no router

my setup is fine
its 100% virginmedia

can enyone expalin how pings are measured and why they go higher at certain times

the basic bones of it is that a ping (ICMP) is not a good indication of network performance as its classed as a low priority service so if a server/router is busy it wont reply at all or may take a while to reply. Their is no sure way to check the peformance unless you can ping the game server on the port that the game is running on.

7@m3 G33k
13-08-2007, 13:04

before enyone asks
no its not my computer
no i ahve no router

my setup is fine
its 100% virginmedia

Ping or 'a ping' or more precisely an ICMP echo request measures the time (in milliseconds - ping of 50=1/20th sec) it takes a simple data packet to reach the 'pinged' destination and for the response to return to the 'pinger' or 'pingee' (are you a 'pingu' if you're running OSS? :dozey: - wait a minute, that would be pignu... :dunce:).

Therefore 'ping' is a measure of network speed and, possibly, of how busy the pinged device is (though this unlikely to be significant unless it is very busy e.g. whilst undergoing a DOS attack). So once all those gamers & p2pers wake up and get busy your ping will increase.

As a distincly average to poor gamer I don't think ping affects my chances much if it's less than 100. I usually get a ping of between 25 & 40 and I still get my butt kicked by good players with ping well over 100.

AmAtoL
13-08-2007, 20:31
As a distincly average to poor gamer I don't think ping affects my chances much if it's less than 100. I usually get a ping of between 25 & 40 and I still get my butt kicked by good players with ping well over 100.

On a good day I can ping 18 to the server of my choice, that does not necessarily equate to a "good" connection. Many players from mainland Europe and Scandinavia have pings in the 40's 50's & 60's, but with a much more stable connection and are therefore afforded the advantage of spot on hit recognition and no packet loss, thus being able to pwn the VM n00bs ;)

7@m3 G33k
14-08-2007, 00:19
On a good day I can ping 18 to the server of my choice, that does not necessarily equate to a "good" connection. Many players from mainland Europe and Scandinavia have pings in the 40's 50's & 60's, but with a much more stable connection and are therefore afforded the advantage of spot on hit recognition and no packet loss, thus being able to pwn the VM n00bs ;)

'pWn3d' should be my middle name when it comes to gaming - unfortunately I don't have the excuse of being a n00b!
It goes something like this: Me--> :angel: :sniper: <--Generic opponent