PDA

View Full Version : Internet access on Vista via STB

Anonymouse
12-08-2007, 19:03
My sister's just bought an HP computer running Vista Premium, and she has broadband via her STB. She has the installation CD, but it's version 1.5 and reads the OS as Windows 2000 - also, the PC does have an ethernet card (Intel Pro 100/VE Network Connection), but the installation program fails out with error code 25, i.e. no NIC.

Any ideas, peeps?

Stuart
12-08-2007, 19:09
The software on the installation CD is not compatible with vista. However, you do not need it.

To register the new PC on the STB, just connect via Ethernet, reboot the STB (unplug it from the mains, then plug it in again) and go to any address in your web browser. You may get asked to register the PC, in which case, you'll need your PID number (10 digit number) and PIN.

Marge
12-08-2007, 19:11
PID number (10 digit number) and PIN.

*cough* PID and Password *uncoughs*

but great advice as ever Stu :)

Mick Fisher
12-08-2007, 19:16
I have never had BB via a STB but as far as I am aware you do not need the CD. Indeed the CD only contains USB drivers that don't even work in Vista.
If your ethernet is up and running on the computer all you have to do is plug it in.
If you have problems make sure the NIC is enabled in the BIOS and ensure it's drivers have been installed.

:) Beaten to it as I type, not once but twice......

Stuart
12-08-2007, 19:16
*cough* PID and Password *uncoughs*

but great advice as ever Stu :)

Nearly right... Ahh well, it's a good few years since I've had to do it..

Anonymouse
12-08-2007, 19:26
Ah, I had a feeling it'd be something simple - done and sorted! Cheers, Stuart! :D