PDA

View Full Version : Torrents

pulli23
12-08-2007, 11:43
:dunce:I use utorrent as it is reliable and easy to use, I heard ( from the net), that it does not use your full internet speed, when i get 20mb, it miight still download slow. How can i increase the speed without affecting any virgin rules?

thx dudes who reply]

Please, anyone, who knows a good download site ot software, for movies, music etc, which is very fast , please inform me, thankyou

cybernetic_tiger
12-08-2007, 11:51
Torrents will only download as fast as other users upload. The more seeders of a specific torrent the faster you will download.

If you want full speed all of the time you will need to invest in a premium usenet provider. Then you will be able to download all of those Linux ISO's at full speed to your hearts content (subject to STM).

Raistlin
12-08-2007, 11:59
Please, anyone, who knows a good download site ot software, for movies, music etc, which is very fast , please inform me, thankyou

Just a note that any such content would, of course, by copright free and totally legal to download and distribute.

(So that the thread doesn't get shut down for discussing naughty things ;) )

pulli23
12-08-2007, 12:02
yyes of cpurse it will be copyright free, i never download, it is wrong:dozey:

apart from torrents , are there any free fast download servers or p2p netwprks which use your speed at a high speed (if this makes sense to you, WOW)

cybernetic_tiger
12-08-2007, 12:09
All P2P is P2P so the same system applies to these as torrents so people have to upload for you to download.

As for fast free servers; bandwidth costs are very large on these types of servers and as such your not going to get much for free. Your best bet would be newsgroups from Giganews (or others), GrabIt and binsearch.info.

HTH

jona_b
12-08-2007, 12:30
try www.iptorrents.com
or www.torrentleech.org
or www.araditracker.com

Cyph3r
12-08-2007, 12:40
make sure your ports are open, these can greatly increase download speeds in utorrent

jingleman
12-08-2007, 17:05
Please be gentle with me, I ventured in to the world of torrents for the very first time last night :dunce:

I sort of get the theory behind the whole thing, but am worried about security. I have installed UTorrent which generally seems to be suitable for a newbie like me - I'm not going to use it much, just the odd thing here and there.

Anyhow, it selected listening port 51595 and I eventually got what I wanted, what security settings should I set? Zone Alarm (Free) asked if OK, so I said yes to the program. Whilst downloading I ran Symantec online security checker and it came up with nothing - Is there anything I should be blocking? I have AV, Spybot etc.

I changed the default download destination from the 'Documents & Settings' to a partition I have for susch stuff. Neither has Windows Permissions for other users to read/write, I'm just wondering what the program has set that allows the upload of any file I have.

Bit of a ramble, but I'm sure you'll get what I mean :erm:

Paul K
12-08-2007, 18:50
You may want to make sure you are running something like peerguardian if you are going to P2P as there are a number of false servers out there which are actually companies looking to gather IP addresses of people downloading their property illegally.

xspeedyx
12-08-2007, 19:05
Best think mate it research it and good place to start is here

http://www.slyck.com/bt.php

Begize
12-08-2007, 19:07
To the op - the most obvious thing to increase torrent speeds is to set your default ports to something other than the defaults. I had massive increases in speed by changing mine.

As far as security goes, I've tried using Peerguardian although I've found it can be a pain resource wise sometimes. The best solution is to stick to legal sites and legal torrents if you don't want some hot shot lawyers breathing down your neck.

Don't believe it won't happen to you either - en ex work colleague of mine got a rather strong letter (via BT who his broadband is with) from a Californian law firm representing Sony Pictures (I think) for downloading and sharing one of their films.

jingleman
12-08-2007, 21:58
Paul - Cheers, peerguardian seems to be just what I'm after :)

darthlinux - Yes, that seems to be the sort of 'light reading' I need :confused:

I'm not about to become a full time 24/7 downloader on this P2P stuff, there was just something I wanted. I have an unplayable 7" single that I bought over 25 years ago (and it only seems like yesterday).

Thanks again for all the replies.