PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 255 modem fault

saabmania2
12-08-2007, 11:09
Warning Newbie Question:D
Hello everyone hoping to get a bit of advise
i've upgraded to the new vm v+ service with 20mb connection (had it installed on thursday) i'm already on my 3rd modem and this one isn't working either i'm currently connecting threw my old samsung stb. All of the modems have showed up the same fault i.e when swiched on the ready light is constantly flashing, i've had the engineers around twice (lovely guys) bless them we are on first name terms now!!!;) but i was wondering if this has been a common fault with this particular modem or is it possable to buy a better quality one from say pc world (although i don't want to pay there prices i just need a reliable connection).
tia
Paul:)

cybernetic_tiger
12-08-2007, 11:12
Sadly you have to use the modem VM provide. You cannot buy one that will work legally.

Its more than likely an issue with the levels to the modem or an upstream SNR issue. VM Engineers are the only people that will be able to sort this out so you will need to keep demanding that they fix it.

saabmania2
12-08-2007, 11:19
thanks for the quick reply
i thought that might be the case the engineers have each time tested the line and they say it's within acceptable levels so i starting to think it is a problem with the modems they are supplying (maybe a bad batch) i hope they sort it soon just glad i got the savvy to use my old samsung stb in the meantime so that i can connect (although i'm only getting 3.5-3.7mb)

Mick Fisher
12-08-2007, 21:43
Hmmm? Don't you need some sort of Account switching to reflect the change from BB over STB to BB over SACM. It could be your BB service to your SACM is not actually activated.

KBHammer
12-08-2007, 21:49
You'll need to register the standalone modem, did you or the engineers do that for each of the new modems?

Warning Newbie Question:D
Hello everyone hoping to get a bit of advise
i've upgraded to the new vm v+ service with 20mb connection (had it installed on thursday) i'm already on my 3rd modem and this one isn't working either i'm currently connecting threw my old samsung stb. All of the modems have showed up the same fault i.e when swiched on the ready light is constantly flashing, i've had the engineers around twice (lovely guys) bless them we are on first name terms now!!!;) but i was wondering if this has been a common fault with this particular modem or is it possable to buy a better quality one from say pc world (although i don't want to pay there prices i just need a reliable connection).
tia
Paul:)

saabmania2
12-08-2007, 22:38
You'll need to register the standalone modem, did you or the engineers do that for each of the new modems?

hmmm after long phone calls today with virgin BB tech support and virgin tv support i seem to have it sorted and i think you and the previous post got it nearly right apparently virgin didn't put in the correct code for the v+ box and also the code the engineers had given for my modem was also wrong (but i don't think it was the engineers fault i was sitting next to him when he registered the modem but hey they had to blame someone else didn't they!!) so after everything i seem to have an internet connection through my 3rd modem crossed fingers it stays that way.
thanks for all your help guys
what a helpful bunch of people (what did we do before forums came along):group::clap:

KBHammer
12-08-2007, 22:45
Glad to hear it's all sorted.

hmmm after long phone calls today with virgin BB tech support and virgin tv support i seem to have it sorted and i think you and the previous post got it nearly right apparently virgin didn't put in the correct code for the v+ box and also the code the engineers had given for my modem was also wrong (but i don't think it was the engineers fault i was sitting next to him when he registered the modem but hey they had to blame someone else didn't they!!) so after everything i seem to have an internet connection through my 3rd modem crossed fingers it stays that way.
thanks for all your help guys
what a helpful bunch of people (what did we do before forums came along):group::clap:

Mick Fisher
13-08-2007, 05:14
:)