PDA

View Full Version : wireless setup

pulli23
11-08-2007, 13:02
I am sorry for making another thread so soon, But I need to know how to do this. thankyou

I will soon purchase acbale wireless router , i am not sure how to set this up.

Also can someone reccomend me a very good wireless router compatible with virgin 20mb bb and works woth ps3 fine. Of a max price of 50.

Thx for your help, This forum is teh best

agian sorry for another thread

Toto
11-08-2007, 13:35
D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, Drytek are all good routers, you may want to take a look here (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=65).

Raistlin
11-08-2007, 14:42
Setting up wireless routers is usually very simple, but the actual method can vary greatly depending on which model/manufacturer you actually go for.

I'd suggest you post back again once you've bought a suitable one and we can talk you through the setup/security etc.

As for recommendations, I would always recommend a Linksys router. I've got two running on my network at the moment and they've both been fairly bullet-proof and seem quite secure.

janipewter
11-08-2007, 14:54
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/63763

pulli23
11-08-2007, 15:04
i was thinking of buying this one, http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=619685, as i live in quite a large house, it has a 200m distance which i think i need.

Raistlin
11-08-2007, 17:39
Actual Range will vary depending on environmental and other factors

That really must be some large house you have their my friend.

200m = 656ft

An 'average' living room is between 13ft and 15ft in width, that means you could fit more than 400 'average' living rooms into that space.....you sure you need to do that? :)

7@m3 G33k
11-08-2007, 17:55
That really must be some large house you have their my friend.

200m = 656ft

An 'average' living room is between 13ft and 15ft in width, that means you could fit more than 400 'average' living rooms into that space.....you sure you need to do that? :)

And if you really do have a house that big one might suggest that to limit yourself to a £50 wireless router and not pay a local techie to come and install and secure it for you would be a little tight! ;)

Seriously though: whatever you buy don't get it from PC World or Ebuyer - if you need any tech support you're scuppered. As I said in your other thread where you raised this first... :dozey: ...use a good online supplier like CCL Online (http://www.cclonline.com/) or a local shop recommended by someone you trust.

Raistlin
11-08-2007, 18:04
Yep, second the advice above - at least he bit about not buying from eBuyer or PCWorld anyway ;)

TBH it really isn't all that difficult, if you can follow instruction and you're prepared to think for yourself a little bit, you shouldn't have too many problems.

Most people come unstuck because they expect to be able to just plug things in and have them work, a good (read reliable & secure) wireless setup is *never* going to be that easy to get going. With a little effort on your part it isn't all that painful though, and you'll learn so much doing it that you'll wonder why you were so worried in the first place.

My advice?

By Linkysys, buy from the cheapest source you can (I normally use aria.co.uk or amazon.co.uk), buy from a local shop if possible as you can then get to know the guys in there just in case you need some friendly help, then (and here's the cruncher) RTFM and go for it :)

hokkers999
12-08-2007, 00:31
i was thinking of buying this one, http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php?sku=619685, as i live in quite a large house, it has a 200m distance which i think i need.

If you *really* need that much then buy a Linksys, replace the firmware with the DD-WRT project one and crank up the miserly output power default of 28mw all the way up to 251mw.

you ought to know know that technically that's illegal and may interfere with other wireless networks.

Toto
12-08-2007, 01:06
Most people come unstuck because they expect to be able to just plug things in and have them work,

Well, actualy most wireless routers do. Security is not turned on as default, so they usually work out of the box.

a good (read reliable & secure) wireless setup is *never* going to be that easy to get going. Wrong, if a buyer took the time to read the instructions that came with the router, either via paper or CD ROM, they would get a full set of instructions on how to set up a good secure wireless configuration.

With a little effort on your part it isn't all that painful though, and you'll learn so much doing it that you'll wonder why you were so worried in the first place.As per my comment.

My advice?

By Linkysys, buy from the cheapest source you can (I normally use aria.co.uk or amazon.co.uk), buy from a local shop if possible as you can then get to know the guys in there just in case you need some friendly help, then (and here's the cruncher) RTFM and go for it :)OK, sound advice if you are a competant user, and is used to flashing BIOS chips etc, otherwise. leave well alone and use the out of the box software installed in the router.

Raistlin
12-08-2007, 10:03
Most people come unstuck because they expect to be able to just plug things in and have them work,

Well, actualy most wireless routers do. Security is not turned on as default, so they usually work out of the box.

a good (read reliable & secure) wireless setup is *never* going to be that easy to get going.

Wrong, if a buyer took the time to read the instructions that came with the router, either via paper or CD ROM, they would get a full set of instructions on how to set up a good secure wireless configuration.

You know what? If you're going to quote me then at least have the common decency to quote what I actually said, as I actually said it, instead of cutting it up to meet your own needs.

Here's how I wrote it:

Most people come unstuck because they expect to be able to just plug things in and have them work, a good (read reliable & secure) wireless setup is *never* going to be that easy to get going.

What I said, and what I meant (I'll say it in a slightly different way so that it can't be so easily 'misunderstood') , was that a reliable and secure wireless setup cannot be achieved by simply plugging the router in - this is where most people go wrong, because they think that it can.

The two parts of the one sentence you quoted above mean totally the opposite of the whole. You'll probably find it useful to consider that in the future.

Toto
12-08-2007, 10:45
You know what? If you're going to quote me then at least have the common decency to quote what I actually said, as I actually said it, instead of cutting it up to meet your own needs.

Here's how I wrote it:

What I said, and what I meant (I'll say it in a slightly different way so that it can't be so easily 'misunderstood') , was that a reliable and secure wireless setup cannot be achieved by simply plugging the router in - this is where most people go wrong, because they think that it can.

The two parts of the one sentence you quoted above mean totally the opposite of the whole. You'll probably find it useful to consider that in the future.

More than happy to stick my hand up if I misquoted what you were thinking, and not what you posted.

I have to be honest though, my mind reading powers are a little off par at the moment. :):)

goldoni
12-08-2007, 11:13
The Belkin router is very good and does what it says on the box and has a lifetime warranty which they will swap out for a new one quite quickly.

Linksys are good as well but only have I think a two year warranty and you have to send your faulty one back first before the ship the replacement.

If distance is a problem I would spend a little more money and go for the next Belkin product range depending on how much you have to spend. If you go for the Belkin G router and it does not cover your house you will need to go for a bridging wireless point which will not work with WPA only WEP. Confused you won’t be as it’s dead easy as Raistlin says if you follow the instructions.

I live in a 3 bed semi (shoe box) double fronted with a Belkin G access point upstairs which covers the whole house and most of the back garden 15Mt My modem and router are downstairs in a workshop.

I hope this helps if not blame Raistlin :D

Raistlin
12-08-2007, 11:27
I hope this helps if not blame Raistlin :D

Why not, it's usually my fault :D