PDA

View Full Version : xbox live problems on 20meg

mr-blonde
07-08-2007, 22:31
im in Peterborough Cambridgeshire Was NTL
i have just last week upgraded my broadband for 4meg (Samsung smt-2100c set top box)
to 20 meg (Black modem model # E08c007)
ive had a year and a half of almost trouble free online gaming my xbox connection settings are all fine i have the ports forwarded on my Belkin F5D 7231-4 router so i know that is not the problem

when i was on the 4 meg i had a great connect and when playing online with Freinds all over the country i always had the best connection to host the games (gears of war most of the time)

so i upgraded to 20meg nice new modem. ive done speed test and my connection is quicker getting about 10meg download and 650k upload which i know is less than what im paying for but ive been on the phone to virgin like most people.

my problem is that i am no longer able to host a game of Gears of war because i get constant connection errors my connection on Gears of war is worse than my mates 1 meg line!!!
i have pluged the ethernet cable from the modem directly to the xbox and its still the same so i have rulled out a router problem i can only assume that it is the modem that it the problem because it is the only thing that has changed

if i cannot get this sorted im going back to the 4meg and my set top box
any help or advise will be great thanks

grabbi
08-08-2007, 01:26
All I can say is that my GF has experienced cut-outs also. Sessions prematurely ending because of a connection failure.

Not a clue how its sorted, but yea, its annoying.

Are you able to have a Voice conversation via the Blade?

mr-blonde
08-08-2007, 09:14
yep, no problems in chat

vmtech
08-08-2007, 14:11
just because the modem is the only thing that has changed doesnt mean that thats the cause of the problem, do you ever get disconnected on the pc?
could be the router, when a had the bt homehub if a was downloading alot the homehub would crash and have to be rebooted

LaineY
08-08-2007, 14:27
this is the virgin department mate... keep yer bt home hub to yerself :P

vmtech
08-08-2007, 14:35
lol shut up lainey was jst saying it was happening on that and still does

mr-blonde
08-08-2007, 17:49
just because the modem is the only thing that has changed doesnt mean that thats the cause of the problem, do you ever get disconnected on the pc?
could be the router, when a had the bt homehub if a was downloading alot the homehub would crash and have to be rebooted
I have never had any broadband issues before this not on my pc or my xbox 360
but like i said before i connected the modem directly to my xbox 360 and the problem is still there so it is not the router

xspeedyx
08-08-2007, 23:07
Well when you are playing are you downloading aswell but camm vm and ask for a modem swap and that might solve ur problem

grabbi
09-08-2007, 00:27
My 360 gets cut off sometimes, 3 or 4 times a night, tbh, but the PC never loses connection.

vmtech
09-08-2007, 01:33
then the answers obv its the xbox or xbox servers

grabbi
09-08-2007, 01:47
Xbox servers?

are you kidding me? They are probably the most reliable servers in the world! lol

Just one Packet loss can result in a complete disconnection...

OP: Can I ask which games, bar GoW it is your having probs on?

vmtech
09-08-2007, 02:30
ohh so that means the can never have problems????

grabbi
09-08-2007, 02:37
Im not saying that. We all know anyone can have problems, but you tell me the rate of problems Microsoft would have compaired to VM?

I think we can safely say that with the 20Mb probs, Microsoft is a lot more reliable...

carljarvis
09-08-2007, 12:02
I too have the 20meg service and despite always getting 700K + upload speeds on www.thinkbroadband.com I cannot host on GOW due to connection errors.

My mate on Orange bradband, 8 meg can host without problems.

My speeds have been up and down for about 2 months now.

mr-blonde
09-08-2007, 12:21
i always shutdown the PC when I'm on xbox live.
i have never been disconnected from live just connection error's
the problem seams to be when people join or leave my game's if i have a full room i don't get any leg.
i don't play many other games online shadow run plays fine and normally picks me to be the server when i join a

But the point im trying to make is when i was on 4meg through my set top box i never had any problems i was always the best host with the group i play with (people all over the country all different isp's)
the problems did not start till i got the modem and the 20meg
coincidence i think not:mad:

vmtech
09-08-2007, 14:09
ok so let me see no issues with the pc using the connection, no lagging, connection runs perfect untill someone leaves or join, yeah must be vm fault

mr-blonde
09-08-2007, 14:24
im not the one saying its vm's fault
im only on here for help or advice so i can hopefully sort the problem out.
my personal opinion is that it is something to do with the modem but im in no way an expert on these things so i could be way off
what else changed when i upgraded from 4meg - 20meg?
my end only the modem but there must be some stuff vm's end??
im only trying to narrow down what the problem could be!

vmtech
09-08-2007, 14:39
sorry that was a bit sarcastic just didnt like the "coincidence i think not" when i was advising you what to check incase you wasted money calling us

grabbi
10-08-2007, 02:14
But the point im trying to make is when i was on 4meg through my set top box i never had any problems i was always the best host with the group i play with (people all over the country all different isp's)
the problems did not start till i got the modem and the 20meg
coincidence i think not:mad:

With the amount of complaints that people are saying about 20Mb in certain areas, Im not suprised your having this problem

My 2Mb connection from an STB was always hard 2Mb. Always. Xbox Live was perfect. Games never disconnected.

20Mb doesnt seem to be right... only in certain places.

I think you should report it to CS, get a ticket number and keep chasing it up.

Its free to phone CS, and Id refuse to pay for the call.

Also, if you can, post your Upstream and Downstream levels on here by going to http://192.168.100.1 and we'll see if there is a problem with the modem.

mr-blonde
10-08-2007, 11:22
Phoned cs this morning because i got my bill £37 for the 20meg told them i am not paying that if im not getting it, im getting about 10meg at the mo
they are only going to charge me for the 2meg sevices till they sort out the speed problem

Muppetz
13-08-2007, 00:12
I was searching this forum for xbox live problems when I found this post.

I have the 20MB service, and in addition still have an ADSL connection live as the contract has not run out yet.

The Virgin connection is absolutely terrible for Xbox live, laggy, speech break up, intermittent loss of connection etc.

If I connect back into the ADSL (1 MB !) then the connection is much better, and I can also host games.

I turn off the PC when using the xbox 360.

If the xbox live works better over virgin 4MB then I'd be tempted to get them to drop it back down to that. (although logic would suggest that the connection should be the same, just the speed cap different)

my downstream :

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -11.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 30.7 dB

And Upstream :

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4