PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Registration Problem

kenwilco
02-08-2007, 22:04
I've just had my VirginMedia BB Modem installed.
While trying to register I get the following error, right at the final step:
"Unable to register your cable modem until the order has been completed."

Does anyone recognise this ? I'm loathed to ring support at 25p/min if I can avoid it .

Ken.

mrmistoffelees
02-08-2007, 22:16
Ring customer services not technical support

vmtech
03-08-2007, 08:13
emm its a problem with you registering your modem obv the call will be refunded

mrmistoffelees
03-08-2007, 08:22
emm its a problem with you registering your modem obv the call will be refunded

Emmmm read the post again........................:rolleyes:

vmtech
03-08-2007, 08:28
emm why?

mrmistoffelees
03-08-2007, 08:31
"Unable to register your cable modem until the order has been completed."

Does anyone recognise this ? I'm loathed to ring support at 25p/min if I can avoid it .

Ken.

This bit......

vmtech
03-08-2007, 08:32
ok still not getting this, why have i to read it again?

mrmistoffelees
03-08-2007, 08:43
It's ok, you don't :erm:

vmtech
03-08-2007, 08:50
emm ok

what?
03-08-2007, 09:14
i sense much confusion in here :p:

i would agree with vm tech on contacting tech support
coz occasionally call are passed to former by centre instead of ntl, and iv had a couple for that issue, and tech support have always accepted to take the call.

tho couldn't argue whether or not cs could do it as well

and i no if its by and orders not closed we deal with it

but tech support shud credit charges for it anyway, just make sure u request it to gaurentee it being done tho they shud do it, requested or not

vmtech
03-08-2007, 09:16
yeah call tech support they will fix that and credit you back and make sure the do

kenwilco
03-08-2007, 13:36
Hey, don't argue with each other guys.

Thanks for the info regarding refunds VMTECH, though I have to say the issue of refunds is hardly made clear in the documentation I have received from VM.

There are obviously many arguments to be made about the morality of using a 25p/min phone number anyway, in almost any other business the purchased item would have to be fit for purpose AND working at the time of purchase/installation.

I do wonder one thing though, if you were unable to use a telephone (deaf, disabled etc) how the heck would you be able to sort out such problems ?

Ken

vmtech
03-08-2007, 13:43
yes but lets just say its hard

what?
03-08-2007, 13:46
agreed, really not sure how it work, im guessing u would have to go through type talk centres if the connection was up and if not really need to get some1 else to call in for u as its obv not possible to e-mail us if connection is down, and im really not sure hwo good e-mail support is

or there always the advice of the nice friendly users on this forum :tu:

vmtech
03-08-2007, 13:48
they use type talk and its really hard getting the call done in 20min cause the info has to be repeated many times

kenwilco
03-08-2007, 16:39
OH Dear, the situation gets worse.

Tried to ring BB Helpline 0906 212 1111 but it isn't working, i just get continuous (number unobtainable?) tone. (Yes, I did dial it right)
Tried Customer Services 0845 454 1111 but there's a bloody long queue, which I don't want to sit through running up a phone bill, which I'll bet they won't refund !

I have to laugh, the front of the supplied booklet says "Get going in a flash"!

I have sent an e-mail via Virginmedia website, but they say it could be 3 days before they can deal with it.

I have to say the cancellation phone number is looking much more attractive at the moment.

Ken.

ps. Can any VM employee here offer any physical assistance here ?

what?
03-08-2007, 17:01
did the phoneline ring at all?

if after 3 minutes the call isnt connected to an agent it will dc

and give the no. another go coz its defo working and they cant pass u thro from cs so no point waiting

kenwilco
03-08-2007, 17:25
No it's not ringing at all, just a continuous tone.
I don't have any kind of call barring set up either.

Ken.

what?
03-08-2007, 17:31
really strange :erm:

not heard of any issues like that with the number without the bar on there

is it former ntl or telewest area ur in?

fatassmichael
03-08-2007, 17:38
Are you using a virgin media telephone line?

kenwilco
03-08-2007, 17:51
I'm in Teesside area.
Yes, it's an VM Phone line (ex NTL)

Ken.

fatassmichael
03-08-2007, 17:58
if you dial 150 from your line, it will get you to cs for free. Is it a new telephone line install? if it is, i remember reading on here that VM *may* block premium rate numbers for new customers.

kenwilco
03-08-2007, 18:52
It's not a new telephone installation, and as was pointed out earlier in the thread Customer Service will be unable to re-direct, so even though that call is free they will just tell me to dial BB support number.

Ken

fatassmichael
03-08-2007, 19:47
It may be just me, but i would call cs first as the error is saying about order completion, and cs is free, then if cs say i had to phone tech support, that would be my next move.

kenwilco
03-08-2007, 22:18
I've just had another read of the "get going in a flash" booklet, and it says that dialling 150 (Customer Care!) will cost 5p/min with a 6p connection fee, so it's not actually free at all.
Plus as I said previously I cannot call Broadband Helpline (0906 212 1111) because it's not working.

Whatg a crock!

Ken.

Mick Fisher
03-08-2007, 23:06
I have to say the cancellation phone number is looking much more attractive at the moment.
I don't doubt for one moment that it is.

Only trouble is, it will likely be an even longer wait before you get to speak to anyone due to the apparent popularity of the Dept.

All part of the VM 'service'. :erm:

Good luck..:)

BarFly
03-08-2007, 23:25
Dunno if you got it fixed or not, you need to speak to tech support, its a SABS error, the only possibility you would need to speak to CS is if the direct debit is not set up.
Ring the premium number, give your details, advise your trying to reg, they will call you back & refund for however long it took to give you the details on the outbound call you made.

kenwilco
04-08-2007, 00:37
Dunno if you got it fixed or not, you need to speak to tech support, its a SABS error, the only possibility you would need to speak to CS is if the direct debit is not set up.
Ring the premium number, give your details, advise your trying to reg, they will call you back & refund for however long it took to give you the details on the outbound call you made.

I know that I need to speak to Tech support, but I can't because their phone number isn't working from my phone.

Ken

what?
04-08-2007, 03:50
i'm taking it from this that u still haven't managed to get throug and have continuosly tried

if thats the case, contact cs and make sure there is nothin on the phoneline that has been added by mistake and also to make sure there is nothing they can do for the issue

if not it may b worth giving telco faults a phone, if u dont have any bars, and numbers working for every1 else could b something there

and again if not cs will have to get in contact with us and arrange something, some kind of calback, because generally with new install issue we do offer automatic callback when cus comes thorugh, so would imagine someting could be sorted.

bayonet
04-08-2007, 08:35
Giving you the manual registration address 80.5.178.26 is not going to help in this case although it may help if you don't want to install the VM software

As stated earlier in the thread it sounds like a SABS issue which the 150 number should be able to deal with

kenwilco
04-08-2007, 13:22
Well it's finally working.
Turns out there was a premium rate call bar on my line. I have no idea how it got there, and I certainly have never been billed for such a thing, it's not a new phone install, I've had the line for years.

As for the BB registration, It would seem that the engineer hadn't signed off on the job, apparently I'm to have a new cable laid in two weeks time because the signal to the modem was very low. So now I'm going to have my garden disrupted - que sera.

As polite as the Indian ladies that I spoke to were, I did find the 'script' somewhat annoying, particularly the fact that every single response I made was greeted with 'Thankyou for the information!" , after the first couple of times it became quite irritating.

They have refunded the cost of the premium rate call, and they rang me back straight away for the bulk of the session. Also the 150 call to remove the bar on my line was free, despite the VM booklet saying it would be 5p/min.

Thanks for any advice given me in this thread.

Ken.

fatassmichael
04-08-2007, 14:03
Glad you got it sorted :)

what?
04-08-2007, 18:44
also glad u got it sorted since u were having so muc probs

we dont use a script in british call centres and as far im aware they dont in india, they do however have habits on the phone. and iv noticed that with most indian agents in british call centres, repeating themselves continuously.

however, important thing is u having ur connection up and running