PDA

View Full Version : WIRELESS BROADBAND from September

wafer_style
01-08-2007, 14:55
VM is about to launch Wifi Broadband from Sep , 07 . To avail this service register yourself at :
http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/homenetworking/wireless-service-trial.php (http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/homenetworking/wireless-service-trial.php)

Ne comments ???

vmtech
01-08-2007, 14:59
yup and only 1000 places so hurry up

daveetwo
01-08-2007, 15:01
Whats the difference between the current cable broadband and wireless broadband?
Im currently cabled with 20mb and have 1 pc cabled to the modem and another via wireless router.
What would i gain if anything?
Thanks

Graham M
01-08-2007, 15:05
Nothings different, you just get a Free Wireless Router and Adaptor.

wafer_style
01-08-2007, 15:21
PLUS PAID TECHNICAL SUPPORT from VM ... lol [:)]

nabalamma
01-08-2007, 15:31
Look i have a wireless router connected to mycomputer so the laptp and stuff downstair can have internet.

Can i still use that once i get virgin or won't i be able to use the internest anywhere else in the house with alaptop or another oc in another rooM!

wafer_style
01-08-2007, 15:35
n Yea , u can WIN A Sony Vaio laptop !!!!! [ picture below]

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/sony-vaio-120x90.jpg

So hurry ....

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Look i have a wireless router connected to mycomputer so the laptp and stuff downstair can have internet.

Can i still use that once i get virgin or won't i be able to use the internest anywhere else in the house with alaptop or another oc in another rooM!

well dude , VM is not forcing u to avail the service , so be cool and b happy with your existing cable setup

DocDutch
01-08-2007, 15:46
tried the signing on for it but the link goes to http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2 and I wouldnt mind that netgear router :(

fireman328
01-08-2007, 15:56
not very tech savvy, I have a virgin.net addy, using ADSL on BT line would I be eligible ?

wafer_style
01-08-2007, 16:04
tried the signing on for it but the link goes to http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2 and I wouldnt mind that netgear router :(

Dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... what r u upto ???? ... Listen , goto the dam link .. at the bottom you will get some white text boxes asking u for ur name , email address blah blah blah ... fill em up n hit the Enter button ... dats it .. K ?

Paul K
01-08-2007, 16:12
not very tech savvy, I have a virgin.net addy, using ADSL on BT line would I be eligible ?
Go for it, it's open to all as a trial from what I have read

DocDutch
01-08-2007, 16:18
Dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... what r u upto ???? ... Listen , goto the dam link .. at the bottom you will get some white text boxes asking u for ur name , email address blah blah blah ... fill em up n hit the Enter button ... dats it .. K ?

Err okay thought that that was for the laptop ;)

wafer_style
01-08-2007, 16:19

Well Sir , at this point of time the WiFi servcie is only for exNTL customers

v0id
01-08-2007, 18:16
I don't get it, So all they're offering is a free wireless router and adapters which will be supported.

So, similar to the old Telewest free router deal?

havaska
01-08-2007, 19:39
I'm pretty sure Telewest used to do a free wireless router offer. I also seem to recall they did a 'self install' wireless inet that consisted of sticking an adapter into the back of your STB and then the other end into your PC.

grabbi
01-08-2007, 19:45
Looks like a move to combat BT Home Hub...

I have a router, but might sign up, just for another.

Might make me connection go faster too! :P

janipewter
01-08-2007, 19:47

That's a bit discriminatory don't you think, considering at least a million(?) of VM's customers came from Telewest?

grabbi
01-08-2007, 21:11
That's a bit discriminatory don't you think, considering at least a million(?) of VM's customers came from Telewest?

What were you expecting? lol

The whole company is still ntl: orientated, dunno why...

willas00
01-08-2007, 23:03
I'm pretty sure Telewest used to do a free wireless router offer.

They did i asked about it before and i was told it was no longer done so had to go buy my own!

I don't get it, So all they're offering is a free wireless router and adapters which will be supported.

So, similar to the old Telewest free router deal?

Suppose!:LOL:

Looks like a move to combat BT Home Hub...

I have a router, but might sign up, just for another.

Might make me connection go faster too! :P

lol well ive signed up its free!

dilli-theclaw
01-08-2007, 23:15
I signed up - purely so i can ge some more free pc bits :)

willas00
01-08-2007, 23:16
I signed up - purely so i can ge some more free pc bits :)

:LOL: Well i got a wireless router but virgin cant contact my modem with my router installed (even tho the modem comes before the router) so maybe this would be better lol also i need a wireless card for the PC lol saves buying if there giving for free!!

Stephen
01-08-2007, 23:36
I think once the trial is over they will be charging for the router.

The funny thing is staff trials haven't even started yet. They keep getting delayed.

They must be running at the same time then.

Graham M
01-08-2007, 23:44

Spk Hinglish and be n1ce, k? :p:

v0id
02-08-2007, 01:12
I think once the trial is over they will be charging for the router.

:lol: How stingy is that.
I'm glad I got my free wireless kit off them before the rebranding when I had the chance

grabbi
02-08-2007, 02:16
Ive signed up. If they start charging Im pulling out the VIP card. And if they still argue, Ill send the thing back, and continue to use the one I have already, which works great! :P

Maybe they will just charge us all £40, as thats how much they are, once the trial ends? But its basically second user! Im not paying £40! lol

willas00
02-08-2007, 02:36
Ive signed up. If they start charging Im pulling out the VIP card. And if they still argue, Ill send the thing back, and continue to use the one I have already, which works great! :P

Maybe they will just charge us all £40, as thats how much they are, once the trial ends? But its basically second user! Im not paying £40! lol

nor would i!

vmtech
02-08-2007, 08:28

sorry mate but your wrong, its for old telewest customers 2 am getting my training soon on it and a only deal with telewest customers, and the business is not exntl orientated

Stephen
02-08-2007, 09:08

Maybe they will just charge us all £40, as thats how much they are, once the trial ends? But its basically second user! Im not paying £40! lolWhat I meant is you will get it free if you take part in the trial and anyone else that wants it after the trial will have to pay.

If you get it free for the trial then am sure you will keep it for free.

vmtech
02-08-2007, 09:11
yeah you get to keep as a thank you for helping:)

DocDutch
02-08-2007, 10:48
do you how many people have already signed up for the trial?

and also when are they expecting the routers to ship?

james2tone
02-08-2007, 12:07
i got that router from telewest agess ago, but then VM stopped doing wireless or sumin so when i had a problem they woudnt help. They told me to ring Netgear lol.

Hopefully i can ring them again now :)

vmtech
03-08-2007, 08:06
september is all they have said but a will be finding out soon cause training is soon, nope we dont get told:(

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 ----------

if you have our router and wireless adapter we will still help you but only if you have both cause we cant mess with other peoples equipment

what?
03-08-2007, 08:31
as vmtech said u will need both pieces of equip from us

if you have both, you should have got support when you had ur previous issue because we do still support the equip. we have we provide we shud continue to support unless we actually let u know.

v0id
04-08-2007, 03:13
as vmtech said u will need both pieces of equip from us

if you have both, you should have got support when you had ur previous issue because we do still support the equip. we have we provide we shud continue to support unless we actually let u know.

They also support Intel Centrino laptops connected wirelessly as well as each adaptor purchased with the free router. (It's what my info pack says anyway)

what?
04-08-2007, 03:53
we can only support out own equip

have never heard of that being supported and im not sure i would have missed something like that.
not on our home networking team personally, but have never heard of this and we are the ones who arrange for cus to speak to home networking

and they dont accept the call if there isnt notes on the account (or a previous account) to say both pieces of equip are from us. so dont think that can be right

progers
04-08-2007, 11:50
At the end of the day, it's worth a prize draw entry for a laptop!

thechojin
05-08-2007, 13:42
cheers for the link, I stuck my name down

slowcoach
05-08-2007, 15:52
I think I will pass on the wireless router field test, if I want my connection to be slower I will just unplug the modem. :dozey:

xpod
05-08-2007, 16:04
I think I will pass on the wireless router field test, if I want my connection to be slower I will just unplug the modem.

I`m not too bothered about it either to tell the truth but i`ve certainly stuck my name down regardless.It`s another toy to play with if nothing else and i dont mind trying it out for them,or winning a shiney new laptop,it`s one less i`d need to buy eventually.;)

The big ole beige router/firewall i use at the mo is good enough for our needs i think but there is only so much wiring a man can hide about the house i:erm:

vmtech
05-08-2007, 16:53
it wont be that much slowly obv we wouldnt give out equipment that couldnt handle 20mb service

slowcoach
05-08-2007, 17:54
The big ole beige router/firewall i use at the mo is good enough for our needs i think but there is only so much wiring a man can hide about the house i:erm:
I gave up trying to hide the wiring years ago, looks more cutting edge with wires hanging from the ceiling everywhere. :D

ic2
05-08-2007, 18:00
I`m not too bothered about it either to tell the truth but i`ve certainly stuck my name down regardless.It`s another toy to play with if nothing else and i dont mind trying it out for them,or winning a shiney new laptop,it`s one less i`d need to buy eventually.;)

Same here, already got wireless and signed up for the trial but always willing to help.