PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Mobile Is The MOST Expensive

Derrickpetr
29-07-2007, 18:32
Their secret is out - VM is the most expensive for downloading. £5 a MegaByte - yes that's right download a MP3 file and it will cost you about 10 to 15 quid. Orange costs 2 to 3 quid. T mobile is about the same. These charges are cunningly hidden at 0.5 pence per KiloByte - do the math!

Rip-off Richard - Do SKY provide mobiles yet?

Paul K
29-07-2007, 18:49
Link to the proof? Would help to stop this thread self destructing very quickly.

bmxbandit
29-07-2007, 18:50
Secret? It's plainly written in their tariff... if you're looking to download any significant amount of data, its not a good deal. If you're not, then I think it's not bad.

I would link to it, but the site seems to be temporarily down...

edit: cached version (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:7v4u6oEn34QJ:www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do%3FcontentId%3Dpayasyougo.tarrif. shop.sm018+virgin+mobile+tariff&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk&client=firefox-a)

Paul K
29-07-2007, 18:56
Most providers are expensive for downloading data bia mobile. I use my O2 phone sparingly in that regard as I know what the costs are and it's not good lol

Stuart
29-07-2007, 19:33
Their secret is out - VM is the most expensive for downloading. £5 a MegaByte - yes that's right download a MP3 file and it will cost you about 10 to 15 quid. Orange costs 2 to 3 quid. T mobile is about the same. These charges are cunningly hidden at 0.5 pence per KiloByte - do the math!

Depends on their tariff. Look at the Flext 20 tariff, data is 0.73p per KB

Rik
29-07-2007, 20:12
Have to agree with the original poster, VMobile are ridiculously expensive for downloading data.

When i first got my VMobile, i thought I would dabble and download a few bits here and there, checked my bill a hour later and £15!! in data charges.

Why they cannot introduce some kind of package for a fiver to download a set amount I dont know.

Apart from that tho, im very happy with VMobile.

Stuart
29-07-2007, 21:20
Have to agree with the original poster, VMobile are ridiculously expensive for downloading data.

I wasn't saying they aren't. I was saying that all the networks have expensive tariffs.

havaska
30-07-2007, 08:55
I'm on 3 and they charge £2 per mb. Interestingly, you can pay £2.50 a month and get 10mb of downloads, or £5 a month and get unlimited downloads (the current speed is about 750k).

The unlimited downloads thing is cool as you can use your phone as a modem and bluetooth connect it to your laptop and access the proper internet at broadband speeds :D

Rik
30-07-2007, 11:05
or £5 a month and get unlimited downloads (the current speed is about 750k).

Why VM dont offer something along those lines is beyond me, I would gladly pay £10 for unlimited downloads.
One question tho would it be shaped! LOL! (Sorry couldnt resist that one!) :D

buckleb
30-07-2007, 14:22
The £5 a month unlimited offer from three is actually £5 for 1GB. It's still far better than anything else out there (as far as I can see), but it's that weasel use of the word 'unlimited' again.

Shaun
03-08-2007, 20:49

But T-Mobile cap at £1 (or from Sept tehy charge a flat £1) per day. :)

UncleBooBoo
04-08-2007, 16:33
3 are the cheapest when it comes to data allowance!

£5 a month for unlimited access.

Ohh and there are rumors that sky are after 3UK although I cant see it some how!

Shaun
05-08-2007, 03:16

Ohh and there are rumors that sky are after 3UK although I cant see it some how!

Depends if you intend to use it for the whole month or just for a day. You're can't just make an assumption like than when judging value :)

fatassmichael
06-08-2007, 11:56

That is subject to a FUP of 1GB per month, also, the data usage dosent include using the mobile as a modem.

http://three.co.uk/customer/linkdocument.omp?cid=1089021441077

Page 12

Mike

UncleBooBoo
09-08-2007, 11:06
That is subject to a FUP of 1GB per month, also, the data usage dosent include using the mobile as a modem.

http://three.co.uk/customer/linkdocument.omp?cid=1089021441077

Page 12

Mike

I agree about the 1GB allowance, companies should not be allowed to advertise something if it is infact not unlimited!

With regards to using it as a modem well it's against the terms & conditions but you can use it as one and it comes out of the allowance!

saabmania2
28-08-2007, 19:19

Hope Sky don't buy 3uk that would mean i would have to get rid of my phone:( can't stand sky/murdock wouldn't give them my hard earned cash:D

Shaun
28-08-2007, 19:23
Hope Sky don't buy 3uk that would mean i would have to get rid of my phone:( can't stand sky/murdock wouldn't give them my hard earned cash:D

I never understand people like you - how is giving his companies money different to those or anyone else?

saabmania2
28-08-2007, 19:46
I never understand people like you - how is giving his companies money different to those or anyone else?

cos i can't stand sky and murdock:mad:, everything they do is underhanded but then that's my opinion :p:

Stuart
28-08-2007, 19:47

A lot of families (mine included) lost a lot of money as a result of actions by the Murdochs. In my case, my family lost 10s of thousands of pounds in profit because during the newspaper price wars in the 80's (initiated by the Sun), for nearly a year we were actually paying more wholesale for the Sun than the cover price we were allowed to charge.

Yes, the wonderful Murdochs reduced the cover price, then fought the price war with other people's money, as they didn't reduce the wholesale costs of the papers.

Sirius
28-08-2007, 19:58
cos i can't stand sky and murdock:mad:, everything they do is underhanded but then that's my opinion :p:

Well said :tu:

saabmania2
28-08-2007, 20:17
Well said :tu:

Thank you,Thank you:p: :upyours: sky lovers :D

Stuart
28-08-2007, 20:19
Guys, we are a little off topic.

saabmania2
28-08-2007, 20:27
Guys, we are a little off topic.

Yes perhaps we are, it was fun whilst it lasted though :p:

anyway back on topic Virgin might be a bit more expensive than the rest, but think about it for a minuite, when you phone virgin cust services you get the best possable service going fast,friendly and politie and even sometimes they can be helpful.:angel:

Shaun
28-08-2007, 22:11
A lot of families (mine included) lost a lot of money as a result of actions by the Murdochs.

The same could be said of other companies but I've never heard others talk about an owner with such venom.

As for fast, friendly CS from Virgin - you must be phoning a different company to me as I've found them to be awful

Stuart
29-08-2007, 01:00
The same could be said of other companies but I've never heard others talk about an owner with such venom.

Well, I can only speak for myself here, but they are the only company to cause our family to lose thousands of pounds.

As for fast, friendly CS from Virgin - you must be phoning a different company to me as I've found them to be awful
That's just it. The service from Virgin is neither bad nor good. As with most companies, it depends on the call centre you get. Whenever I have phoned Virgin, I had sometimes had good service. Sometimes bad.

I have a BT phone line, and I've noticed the same with them.

Shaun
29-08-2007, 08:56
That's just it. The service from Virgin is neither bad nor good. As with most companies, it depends on the call centre you get. Whenever I have phoned Virgin, I had sometimes had good service. Sometimes bad.

I have a BT phone line, and I've noticed the same with them.

Which was sort of my pout Stu. They're all pretty crap except for the odd member of staff (who they tend to give a hard time to until they get just as crap as the rest) which is why I can't understand why people feel the need to limit themselves to one supplier.

If they're all as crap, you may as well get the best product for the cheapest price and know however much hassle there is you'd be getting that just as much if you paid more/took a worse product.

Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else. :shrug: :)

m419
06-09-2007, 19:25
What a load of crap!

How is it £5 per MB on Virgin Mobile?

0.5p per kb is half a penny whilst Orange charge 4p per kb

If it was £5 per MB it would cost 5p per KB, you'd find Carphone Warehouse networks which comprise as Fresh Mobile,TalkTalk,Mobile World and M&S Mobile the most expensive and then Orange since they charge £4 per MB.

TheDon
08-12-2007, 16:34
What a load of crap!

How is it £5 per MB on Virgin Mobile?

0.5p per kb is half a penny whilst Orange charge 4p per kb

If it was £5 per MB it would cost 5p per KB, you'd find Carphone Warehouse networks which comprise as Fresh Mobile,TalkTalk,Mobile World and M&S Mobile the most expensive and then Orange since they charge £4 per MB.
Quite easily seeing as...

1Mb = 1000Kb,
1Kb = 0.5p
therefore 1Mb = 1000 x 0.5p
which mean.... 1Mb = 500p

So that's, errr, £5 then! And they say numeracy skills in this country are slipping.

Orange also have a £1.50 max daily charge for data, but if they did charge 4p per Kb then that'd be £40 per Mb!

JohnWB
11-12-2007, 12:39
Thought this may be of interest.

T-Mobile Pay As You Go users can now opt for a five-day web'n'walk service priced at £2.50 a pop - that's a cheap-tastic 50p a day for unlimited data use. It's compatible with 40 T-Mobile (http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmain.jsp?lnk=101&id=647#) PAYG handsets, and can be activated by calling 879, texting "web" to 441 or visiting the [LINK]T-Mobile site[http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/service/your-account/mtm-user-login-dispatch/?WT.mc_id=myt-mobile].