PDA

View Full Version : Relocation of Cable modem.

Meer
16-07-2007, 12:22
Hi,

My current cable modem connection is in the upstairs back bedroom of my house, but as my daughter is now getting too big for the nursery, that room is going to become a pink and lilac warzone and my pc workspace has to move.
I'd like to move it to the dining room which is directly below the same bedroom at the back of the house. I wouldn't dream of attempting this on my own so i need to get VM/NTL to help.... So questions please....

How much will it cost to relocate the white box? ( the cable now passes where i want it to be fitted so it shouldn't need a new cable from brown box on front of house)
What number do i ring to get it organised?
Most importantly anyone got any ideas if this is something that can be sorted quick?

thanks in advance for any help/guidance/tips given.

M

handyman
16-07-2007, 12:38
Standard number on your bill should take you to customer service who will book it on for £25 AFAIK.

Halcyon
16-07-2007, 12:41
I believe it costs approx £25 to have a box changed place.

Just call 150 from your Virgin phone line.

If you want to save money, you could always leave the modem where it is and just run a long ethernet cable to your PC.
Though if you are intending to make this a small child's bedroom, I guess that may not be best.

Meer
16-07-2007, 15:15
Many thanks,

£25 isn't too bad at all... will ring later.

thanks again.

M

deltanine
16-07-2007, 15:24
Hello!

Service call charge is now 75 quid. If you have an isolator downstairs(white plastic box, cable wires coming out) you will be able to just screw the modem into that.

PS1
16-07-2007, 16:29
Hello!

Service call charge is now 75 quid. If you have an isolator downstairs(white plastic box, cable wires coming out) you will be able to just screw the modem into that.

for a number of reasons,thats not gaurenteed to work though.:td:

Meer
16-07-2007, 22:56
Hello!

The isolator box you described is upstairs in the bedroom, so that's a no goer i'm afraid, and as for a service call charge of £75 that's not going to go down well at home..... going to be far cheaper to go wireless..... potty
right lets see what VM have to say in the morning...

many thanks again to all those who took the time to respond.

M

smiffing
16-07-2007, 22:58
The isolator box you described is upstairs in the bedroom, so that's a no goer i'm afraid, and as for a service call charge of £75 that's not going to go down well at home..... going to be far cheaper to go wireless..... potty
right lets see what VM have to say in the morning...

many thanks again to all those who took the time to respond.

M

Make sure that you get a wireless cable router not a wireless modem router.

ian@huth
16-07-2007, 23:30
I am having a conservatory built when I get planning permission through and will have to think about re-routing BT, Sky and Virgin Media cables. Don't know whether to do it myself or get each company in.

handyman
16-07-2007, 23:32
I am having a conservatory built when I get planning permission through and will have to think about re-routing BT, Sky and Virgin Media cables. Don't know whether to do it myself or get each company in.

You shoulod get that plastic conduit as skirting boards. It has a pop off front so it's a doddle to add in extra cabling.

ian@huth
16-07-2007, 23:37
You shoulod get that plastic conduit as skirting boards. It has a pop off front so it's a doddle to add in extra cabling.good idea, thanks.

zing_deleted
16-07-2007, 23:37

I didnt think you needed planning permission for conservatories

handyman
16-07-2007, 23:39

Depends on the area and the size of the conservatory.

ian@huth
16-07-2007, 23:40
I didnt think you needed planning permission for conservatoriesYou do if the added volume is over 70 cubic metres (only 50 if a terraced property) This includes any previous additions such as a garage. There are several other reasons for needing planning permission so it is always worth checking with your local planning office.

PS1
17-07-2007, 12:06

nor me,ooops.....ssshhhhhh......lets not say any more!:D