PDA

View Full Version : Phobias

Halcyon
15-07-2007, 00:25
After reading a post on here about a fear of spiders, it got me thinking about what people are scared about.
Do you have a phobia at all ?

As with a lot of people, I can't stand spiders.
If I see one in the room before I go to bed, I have to get someone to take it outside otherwise I will not be able to sleep.
I don't want them to be killed, but I like someone to get it out of my house for me as quickly as possible.
I also have the same fear with snakes. I don't know what I'd do if a snake came near me.
It's the fact that they can just move so quickly and in any direction that scares me and to think of a snake slithering next to me is just awful.

I know things like spiders can do no harm to us humans and it is strange that people can become so scared of them, but I just couldnt even imagine touching one.

Anyone else got any stories of what they can't stand or that they are scared of.
Whats your phobia ?

lauzjp
15-07-2007, 07:53
:blush: even just thinking about spiders gives me the creeps - shivers down my spine, and I'm looking round everywhere for them!

I think the only other thing I'm remotely as bad with is jellyfish. But only if I'm in the water and I suddenly am inches away from touching one - then it's like a scene from Jaws, cue much flapping about, looking like I'm drowning when really I'm trying to swim away from this blob of potential stingyness! :rolleyes:

Tinky
15-07-2007, 09:22
I suffer very badly from claustrophobia (fear of small places). I am not able to go on an aeroplane, in lifts, sit in the backseat of a two door car, go on the tube trains etc, or anywhere that I am locked in. The idea of being in prison.......... well don't even go there!:Yikes:

Halcyon
15-07-2007, 10:43
I take it you wouldn't stay at one of these Capsule hotel rooms in Tokyo then Tinky ?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/23.jpg

That is NOT me by the way, just a random photo found on google.

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 10:52
Im not scared of spiders but when i think of them it makes me feel like there are loads of them around me!!

absthechatter
15-07-2007, 10:53
I've got a strange one. Wooden lolly sticks!! If there is one on the pavement ahead of me, I will cross the road. I cannot be in the same room as someone eating a lolly. It makes me go all tense and my jaw opens and goes all stiff and I have to shut my eyes and turn away. Once when I was having a medical, the doctor told me to put my tongue out and then produced what looked like a lollt stick to put on my tongue. I raced from the surgery out to the reception and refused to return until he hid it. It was all the more embarassing as I was just in my pants :shocked:

Do not have a clue why I cannot be near them, but it's been like that as long as I remember. I would much rather someone put a giant spider, jelly fish or snake in my mouth rather than bring a lolly stick within 20 foot of me....

Abs

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 10:56
Did people attack you with lolly sticks or somthing.

Tinky
15-07-2007, 11:52
I take it you wouldn't stay at one of these Capsule hotel rooms in Tokyo then Tinky ?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/23.jpg

That is NOT me by the way, just a random photo found on google.

You got to be kidding Halcyon, no way would I even consider it! I'd think I was burried alive?

I've got a strange one. Wooden lolly sticks!! If there is one on the pavement ahead of me, I will cross the road. I cannot be in the same room as someone eating a lolly. It makes me go all tense and my jaw opens and goes all stiff and I have to shut my eyes and turn away. Once when I was having a medical, the doctor told me to put my tongue out and then produced what looked like a lollt stick to put on my tongue. I raced from the surgery out to the reception and refused to return until he hid it. It was all the more embarassing as I was just in my pants :shocked:

Do not have a clue why I cannot be near them, but it's been like that as long as I remember. I would much rather someone put a giant spider, jelly fish or snake in my mouth rather than bring a lolly stick within 20 foot of me....

Abs

That really is a strange one, must be hell when you go to the cinema, all these ice lollies, or even passing the sweet counter in Woolies must be a nightmare!:Yikes:

Graham M
15-07-2007, 12:19
Heights & Water here

Cobbydaler
15-07-2007, 13:03
I know things like spiders can do no harm to us humans and it is strange that people can become so scared of them, but I just couldnt even imagine touching one.

Oh yes they can, & they're here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/03/spider_warming/)... :Yikes:

Halcyon
15-07-2007, 13:06
Last year Autumn was so warm there were loads more spiders. I think that article is probably right.
Climate is changing and we are going to be invaded by killer spiders! :Yikes:

AntiSilence
15-07-2007, 13:52
Heights.

Not scared of spiders at all. I don't mind picking them up to put them outside (if they stay still that is lol). Might be a different story if I lived somewhere with plenty of poisonous spiders though!

joglynne
15-07-2007, 13:55
For those of you with arachnophobia you could give yourselves peace of mind by using one of these. ( http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/spider-repeller-whole-house-p-1277.html?gclid=CNi677LKqY0CFSdPEgodWRhN1Q&r=GOOG)

I don't know if I can claim to have any phobias as such but I do have a reaction to certain places and it can catch me unaware. It last happened when I tried to go into a local historic house called Ordsall Hall. I just could not go in. The hairs on the back of my neck went up and I just froze in the door way, most embarrassing. I am now wondering if I should post this as even I think it sounds weird.:D

budwieser
15-07-2007, 14:15
Heights and flying for me.:disturbd::disturbd: The two must be related somehow.
A guy i work with is 27 and is scared ****less of Clowns.:D
Not knocking his fear of course.:)

homealone
15-07-2007, 14:45
I seem to have developed a fear of not heights, as such, but edges, there was a scene in the Dr Who Xmas special where he & Catherine Tate were sat on the edge of a tall building - they didn't show the drop, but the sheer thought of it was making my stomach do flip-flops.

Jules
15-07-2007, 15:54
Heights and enclosed spaces, I can't even stand to wear tight clothes as they make me panic, good thing really as I would look like a sack of spuds anyway lol

Xaccers
15-07-2007, 22:26
Plasters.

Graham M
15-07-2007, 22:27
Plasters.

Really?! What bought that on, do you know?

bobna
15-07-2007, 22:37
i'm absolutly terrified of bee's and wasps, or anything thats buzzes arround you

Ramrod
15-07-2007, 23:30
Heights & Water hereI deduce that you live underground and that you smell :D

Mr_love_monkey
16-07-2007, 06:48
Not a phobia, but I can't stand mouldy food - the thought of it makes me retch.

Graham M
16-07-2007, 07:21
I deduce that you live underground and that you smell :D Completely spot on :erm:

Tinky
16-07-2007, 10:46
Eeeeek! I seem to have all of the above, apart from the lolly sticks, maybe I should just hybernate!:erm:

Xaccers
16-07-2007, 11:17
Really?! What bought that on, do you know?

Tricycle accident when I was less than 18 months old.
Went down a subway, discovered that tricycles don't have brakes, but using my chin on the steps facing the other way worked quite well instead.
Big plaster put on my chin.
Now I feel gross when I see them.
Got all sorts of nicks and cuts on my hands from working on the car etc, won't put a plaster on.
When I give blood, I refuse a plaster on my finger after the anemia test, and have to have a bandage on the inside of my elbow after they've taken blood.

superbiatch
16-07-2007, 11:42
Rodents in general for me - which wasn't pleasant when i had a recent mice infestation in my bathroom. In fact i actually moved out for a few weeks :(

Woolly One
16-07-2007, 11:43
Odd one here - Toadstools and mushrooms. Can't stand the sight of them growing.

I'm OK with mushrooms in the shops now, but it's taken 30 odd years to get there!

Came about on holiday in North Cornwall when I was about four. rounded the corner of a path and came face to face with one that was as tall as me! - it scared the living s*** out of me!

Halcyon
16-07-2007, 11:58
Another one of mine is frogs and slimey things. I cant even imagine holding one.

Maggy
16-07-2007, 16:04
Heights! Not keen on actually being more than 6 inches off the floor.

My nightmare is the falling off a tall something or other.I really HATE that recurring dream.:mad:

Nugget
16-07-2007, 16:30

My nightmare is the falling off a tall something or other.I really HATE that recurring dream.:mad:

I had a recurring dream once...

Anonymouse
16-07-2007, 16:34
Mine's not a phobia as such, just an intense dislike - I hate daddy-long-legs.

What is the point of the damn things? There can't possibly be much nutrition in them for spiders, they're all leg! And that scritching sound they make when skittering along wallpapered walls, or windows - ugh!

Once, years ago, I managed, for once, to get Mum's temperamental grill to do me an absolutely perfect two slices of toast (you know the drill: usually one side's burnt to a crisp while the other side's barely brown, but this time I got it to behave). I'd just finished buttering them, I took a bite out of one...and a bloody daddy-long-legs landed smack dab in the middle of the other! My appetite was killed stone dead and, shortly afterwards, so was that bloody insectile interloper!

Oddly enough, I used to be terrified of heights and spiders, but somehow I got over both. I can't think of anything else of which I have an actual phobia.

FYI, if you see a spider, please do not put it outside. If it's the common house spider, Tegenaria, they can't live outside. When the first arachnid squatters moved in with us, centuries ago, they liked it so much they decided never to leave, and so Tegenaria is now extinct in the wild and the housebound version can't survive outside. Wherever Man went, Tegenaria went with him, which is why they're also found in, e.g., the States.

So just leave it alone and it'll scuttle away in due course. They are, of course, totally harmless - and without them, there'd be a damn sight more flies and other buzzing things around.

lauzjp
16-07-2007, 17:15
leave it alone? leave it alone? I'm shivering and shaking just reading about the thing, let alone seeing one - and I'm looking round everywhere right now, with my feet off the floor... :bigcry:

Wicked_and_Crazy
16-07-2007, 17:45

Lets hope Mr Coggy isnt above average ;)

gaffer_gump
16-07-2007, 19:38
Rats..

:Yikes:

Pia
16-07-2007, 20:15
I hate spiders, i can't settle unless i know it's dead, i have to actually see it's juices splattered to know it's really dead, i don't trust other people to kill them unless i see the evidence. I'm not keen on earwigs, how hard is it to kill them?? My thing of having to see their juices creates a mission with those things, i swear i cut one in half once and it still wasn't dead!!

I can just about get over daddy long legs, but if they come near me i see my life flash before my eyes!

Greyrider
16-07-2007, 21:28
Another one of mine is frogs and slimey things. I cant even imagine holding one.

Me too. Plus, for some inexplicible reason someone peeling the skin off an apple with a knife - don't understand it at all.

Halcyon
16-07-2007, 21:39
It doesnt help that our next door neighbours have a pond and the little frog beasts come over so if I'm sitting in the garden in the grass I turn over and find a frog about to jump on to me !

Maggy
16-07-2007, 23:36
It doesnt help that our next door neighbours have a pond and the little frog beasts come over so if I'm sitting in the garden in the grass I turn over and find a frog about to jump on to me !

You would have had nightmares about the holiday I had in France about 10 years ago.We were borrowing my brother-in-law's holiday home in Picardy and it had an infestation of baby frogs, not one of them bigger than an old threepenny bit.You couldn't walk across the garden without treading on them and they were all heading into the house.Upset my kids quite a bit at the sight of trodden on froggies.

handyman
16-07-2007, 23:47
I hate spiders, i can't settle unless i know it's dead, i have to actually see it's juices splattered to know it's really dead, i don't trust other people to kill them unless i see the evidence. I'm not keen on earwigs, how hard is it to kill them?? My thing of having to see their juices creates a mission with those things, i swear i cut one in half once and it still wasn't dead!!

I can just about get over daddy long legs, but if they come near me i see my life flash before my eyes!

You need a man about the place;)

Halcyon
16-07-2007, 23:49
You would have had nightmares about the holiday I had in France about 10 years ago.We were borrowing my brother-in-law's holiday home in Picardy and it had an infestation of baby frogs, not one of them bigger than an old threepenny bit.You couldn't walk across the garden without treading on them and they were all heading into the house.Upset my kids quite a bit at the sight of trodden on froggies.

That sounds like a nightmare.
Add an infestation of tarantula's and it would be total hell.

Pia
16-07-2007, 23:55
You need a man about the place;)
i've got a cat but he doesn't bother with spiders!!:D:rolleyes:

joglynne
17-07-2007, 00:05
My cat eats spiders. You can hear them crunch and then he looks really pleased with himself. :disturbd:

Pia
17-07-2007, 00:27
He's really good with flies, if i've had the doors and windows open on a hot day there's usually a few flies in so i purposely leave it til later to feed the cat cos he catches the flies when he's not been fed, as opposed to being asleep on a full stomach!:rolleyes::D

danielf
17-07-2007, 00:33
You couldn't walk across the garden without treading on them and they were all heading into the house.Upset my kids quite a bit at the sight of trodden on froggies.

It could have been worse. It could have been lego :D

Tinky
17-07-2007, 09:32
One night when I was going to bed, there was a hugh spider on the wall at my side of the bed. I didn't want to wake Mr Tink, so I got a newspaper, opened the window, got the spider on the newspaper and flung both the spider and the paper out the window. Or so I thought! The next morning when I got out of bed, there was the squashed spider where I had been lying! :Yikes:

I know it's not a phobia, but maggots yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

handyman
17-07-2007, 10:03
i've got a cat but he doesn't bother with spiders!!:D:rolleyes:

Our Kitten ate a mini muffin case last night. :erm:

I've been told it's me pulling it out :Yikes: