PDA

View Full Version : Cable >DVB >WIFI >TV ??

rayyo
13-07-2007, 20:57
I have just had VM installed (Atlanta Explorer 4000 DVB) on a one meter cable (there's a long story about the short cable). The TVs are miles away in other parts of the house.

Other than having a longer trailing cable cable which seems to be hard wired bolted at both ends - so I couldn't alter it anyway ........ is there a wireless or wired (via HomePlug) way of achieving this via a router.

Virgin says NO - but isn't this the 21st century. I'm staggered that there are no instructions for the TV box itself - there seems to be plenty of connectivity there - but which is for what - and is it possible anyway.

If someone has accomplished something similar and can outline the set up or knows where I can obtain some instructions for the DVB it would save me the cancellation charge ..... and I would be most grateful.

Callumpy
13-07-2007, 21:44
can u do it with bridge routers?

rayyo
13-07-2007, 22:43
sounds a bit too technical for me - I was hoping the TV box was downstream of the cable modem so that I could network that connection but in fact it is connected to a branch of the same incoming cable as the modem.
I can see at the back of the TV box an ethernet and USB - not to mention an RF Bypass - sockets so I suppose it could to be one of these if it is possible.
If you have more than one TV box are they all fed in parallel or series - if the latter (but how are theyconnected to each other) then I can see that it might be possible.
All great in theory but it would be nice to be able to connect A to B without a big bang.

joglynne
14-07-2007, 16:52
Don't know if this is will be of any use but here's a copy of the instructions for the Atlanta Explorer 4000 DVB. (http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclubguides/getting_started/745456_C.pdf)

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 10:38
i think you can bridge the two things together. if the modem and the tv box both have ethernet ports, use a wireless bridge adapter. (Bridge adapters send a wireless signal to each other to make things that arnt wirelesss, wireless)

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

I think you can anyway. Im wanting to do that with my PS2, i need a bridge adapter to plug into the ethernet of my PS2 and i need to configure the adapter to connect to my router.

homealone
15-07-2007, 15:59
i think you can bridge the two things together. if the modem and the tv box both have ethernet ports, use a wireless bridge adapter. (Bridge adapters send a wireless signal to each other to make things that arnt wirelesss, wireless)

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

I think you can anyway. Im wanting to do that with my PS2, i need a bridge adapter to plug into the ethernet of my PS2 and i need to configure the adapter to connect to my router.

not sure what you mean by all that, there is no point trying to 'network' an STB for TV viewing, only when it is used for internet access.

I cannot understand why the STB seems to have been installed 'stand alone' without being connected to any TV set???

Other than a long coax from the STB to TV, a digisender might work, but without knowing the IR remote protocol for the 4000 DVB box, I'm not sure if the remote would work???

To the OP, regarding separate set top boxes, each one is fed from its own cable, they are not connected in any way :)

rayyo
18-07-2007, 14:50
thanks for the instructions and suggestions ....... I have now bought wireless scart senders (Philex Superwand) ..... not totally successful. I need to get the signal through at least 3no 100mm brickwalls so the picture is not great but is viewable. The biggest problem is the remote ..... there is an extender with infra red eyes but it is not until you read the instructions (not mentioned in advert) does it say this may not be compatible with NTL/Telewest cable boxes. So far I can confirm it's not ..... although all five reviewers on Amazon said they had managed to get the remote to work remotely (though they did not mention of NTL).

I still think the best solution would be a routed system utlising the mains electrical circuit (HomePlugs) to minimise interference from other EMFs.

There is a ethernet port on the Atlanta so if I got another and linked the two (via a bridge adaptor ?) would they 'talk' to each other and give me a TV signal and remote control at the end of it ??

PS

Stuart
18-07-2007, 16:20
There is a ethernet port on the Atlanta so if I got another and linked the two (via a bridge adaptor ?) would they 'talk' to each other and give me a TV signal and remote control at the end of it ??

PS

No. The Ethernet port on all Virgin STBs is only for broadband internet. The TV service does not use it at all.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

TBH, if the wireless senders don't work well in your house, the best option would be to pay Virgin to come in and move the box to your TVs.

Shaun
18-07-2007, 16:40
I'm scratching my head wondering if a VM tech WOULD leave a box installed with no TV? :scratch:

Stuart
18-07-2007, 16:44
I'm scratching my head wondering if a VM tech WOULD leave a box installed with no TV? :scratch:

He might if he were told to. Also, it's possible the OP moved his TV after installation.

spiderplant
18-07-2007, 19:28
The biggest problem is the remote ..... there is an extender with infra red eyes but it is not until you read the instructions (not mentioned in advert) does it say this may not be compatible with NTL/Telewest cable boxes. So far I can confirm it's not
It's not compatible, but a thing called a Red-Eye and a replacement remote should solve the problem. Lots of information here: http://www.redremote.co.uk

rayyo
22-07-2007, 21:33
I should explain that the TV box was left unattached to a TV at my request as I believed I could wirelessly transfer the signal from the entry point at one part of the house to the other end of the house where the TV is located - it is neither easy nor visually acceptable to run the cable up the front of the house, over a flat roof (no attic) down the back of the house and back in 6m to reach the TV. Telewest/Virgin even sold routers at one stage. I phoned them for their advice and after being passed round five people was told it was no longer their policy to 'recommend' routers.

Anyway I can report the Philex wireless scarts do NOT work. Even when there is a line of sight between the transmitter and receiver the picture quality is average but also subject to interference from something I couldn't track down. When transmitted through the necessary brick walls over 10m it was considerably worse. However, the remote control sender did not work at all - it is advertised for cable and satellite boxes but it is not until you read the instructions do you learn that it is not compatible with NTL and Telewest boxes.

Thanks for you continued thoughts - if anyone does hear of a routed TV signal set up via ethernet I would be really pleased to hear about it.

spiderplant
22-07-2007, 22:27
However, the remote control sender did not work at all - it is advertised for cable and satellite boxes but it is not until you read the instructions do you learn that it is not compatible with NTL and Telewest boxes.It is compatible with most cable boxes. But not yours, unfortunately.

Thanks for you continued thoughts - if anyone does hear of a routed TV signal set up via ethernet I would be really pleased to hear about it.Have you looked at Slingbox?

rayyo
24-07-2007, 22:19
I've thought of a slingbox in another context - but not a bad idea - you do need a pc at the recieving end and I am thinking of a media center for my next PC upgrade so that would work.
Checking around however I learn that Slingbox are due to release a Slingcatcher which catches the signal from a Slingbox which plugs directly into a TV without an intervening PC - sounds just what I need.

SMHarman
24-07-2007, 22:24
Have you asked an NTL tech to leave you a reel of coax, or go buy sat shielded coax. You could then neatly run the coax through the house (under floorboards, along floorboards and through walls at your leisure and have them come back and connect the cable in?
Realistically the box needs to be near a TV and connected with cables. Expecially if HiDef is somewhere in your future.

rayyo
27-07-2007, 22:38
This all started with my ignorant expectation that I could transmit the signal myself once I had the installation in the house - after all the signal comes in in digital form - you can send digital signals wirelessly - if you can do that then you can use the Homeplugs (which I had set my heart on) using the house electrical wiring - QED.
I have a house with a flat roof, solid floors and a frontage looking out over communal space so my neighbours (and myself) would not welcome cables up the front of the house. I also have a fully tiled shower/toilet between the inlet and the TV so absolutely no chance of concealing a cable passing through.
But you're probably right it looks like a cable job afterall if I really want the extra channels and best quality.