PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me Sir, am I real?

Sirpingalot
13-07-2007, 13:43
According to an article I read recently, we could be living in a computer generated world. No Joke. Your houses, cars, husbands and wives all rendered by a computer. Even you..

---------- Post added at 13:43 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

I'll have a look for the article later..

punky
13-07-2007, 13:44
You didn't fall asleep before the Matrix came on the telly did you? :)

Sirpingalot
13-07-2007, 13:53
Pfft..scpetics..seriously, I'll find the article. You wont believe your computer generated self. :)..making fun of an established theory :D

alferret
13-07-2007, 14:25
You houses, cars, husbands and wives all rendered by a computer. Even you..

I think they could have rendered a bit better version of me than the one they did. Homer and I have a lot of simularities :Yikes:

joglynne
13-07-2007, 14:48
Not the articles that Sirpingalot is thinking of but how about these 2 articles for starters?
Perhaps its most startling lesson is that there is a significant probability that you are living in computer simulation. I mean this literally: if the simulation hypothesis is true, you exist in a virtual reality simulated in a computer built by some advanced civilisation. Your brain, too, is merely a part of that simulation. http://www.simulation-argument.com/matrix.html

If you might be living in a simulation then all else equal you should care less about others, live more for today, make your world look more likely to become rich, expect to and try more to participate in pivotal events, be more entertaining and praiseworthy, and keep the famous people around you happier and more interested in youIf so, how sure can each of us now be that we are not now living in such a role-playing simulation?
http://www.transhumanist.com/volume7/simulation.html

Woolly One
13-07-2007, 15:14
According to an article I read recently, we could be living in a computer generated world. No Joke. Your houses, cars, husbands and wives all rendered by a computer. Even you..

Dear who/whatever is running this Prog/SIM,

It would appear that your Anti Virus software is out of date. As your prog/SIM has been seriously infected by viruses, for expamle - Terrorism, Global warming / Climate change, Wars that cannot be won, call centres etc, etc.

Please therefore update your AV at your earliest opportunity.

Kind Regards.

zing_deleted
13-07-2007, 15:16
so much for science looks like there is a God

should have found the article before you made the thread though seems strange to have posted something so vague

Sirpingalot
13-07-2007, 15:27
If you think that there is a chance that the simulator of this world happens to be, say, a true-to-faith descendant of some contemporary Christian fundamentalist, you might conjecture that he or she has set up the simulation in such a way that the simulated beings will be rewarded or punished according to Christian moral criteria. An afterlife would, of course, be a real possibility for a simulated creature (who could either be continued in a different simulation after her death or even be “uploaded” into the simulator’s universe and perhaps be provided with an artificial body there). Your fate in that afterlife could be made to depend on how you behaved in your present simulated incarnation.

Depressing..:(

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

As we know nothing other than the life we are living now, how would we know if we are advanced humans or not? Without having something to compare us to how can we say we are advanced?

Taf
13-07-2007, 16:35
So when you snuff it... you get The BSD? ???

Sirpingalot
13-07-2007, 17:00
So when you snuff it... you get The BSD? ???

I certainly hope not. What a horrible sight.