PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Fabia Ignition.

preacher
10-07-2007, 12:00
Just a quick query.
My wife's Fabia has been acting up of late.
She has a key with the Lock/Unlock fuction that I believe contains a microchip that the ignition recognises and allows you to turn the key.
We have 2 keys and quite often we put the key in the ignition and it will not turn at all, it seems to be locked.
Trying the other key sometimes allows it to work and we can start the car but this can happen with either key and can go on for hours before it decides to start!?
Any ideas people?
Thanks in advance.

Chris
10-07-2007, 12:03
Have you tried changing the battery in the key fob? If you have an immobilizer that's tied in to a rotating code shared with the fob, getting them out of sync could cause problems.

Or is the key physically damaged in any way that would prevent it turning the ignition?

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-07-2007, 12:03
Any ideas people?

Petrol, match, ignite, always works first time :D

When you say you cant turn the key is the steering locked?

preacher
10-07-2007, 12:14
Ok....to answer all so far:
We haven't changed the batteries yet, will do this on the weekend.
We have no immobiliserbeyond the chip fed one which is not changeable from what I have read.
Key is not physically damaged.
The steering is moveable but the key itself will not even turn 1 quarter ways.

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-07-2007, 12:35
Have you tried putting a drop of thin oil on the key (or staight into the lock) and then pushing the key in and out of the igniton barrel a dozen or so times. Its possible that the lock is dry and one of the levers is sticking.

preacher
10-07-2007, 12:42
Have you tried putting a drop of thin oil on the key (or staight into the lock) and then pushing the key in and out of the igniton barrel a dozen or so times. Its possible that the lock is dry and one of the levers is sticking.

Hmmmm....certainly worth a try :)
Will give this a go tonight :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-07-2007, 12:59
Do you need help in testing biscuits ;)

preacher
10-07-2007, 13:02
Do you need help in testing biscuits ;)

Nooooo...they are all mine!.
You leave my bourbons alone :D

mr_bo
10-07-2007, 13:13
She has a key with the Lock/Unlock fuction that I believe contains a microchip that the ignition recognises and allows you to turn the key. The transponder in the key will not prevent the key from physically turning the cylinder but when the ignition is powered up the immobiliser will sense the correct key is in the cylinder and not some scrote with a srewdriver who has ripped the switch off the barrel with no good intent.
We have 2 keys and quite often we put the key in the ignition and it will not turn at all, it seems to be locked.Sounds like the lock cylinder itself is worn if it does it on two keys or there is some kind of mechanical wear/tear. How old is the car? How many miles?

We haven't changed the batteries yet, will do this on the weekend. If the central locking is operating fine with the remote key fob then changing the battery will not help.

Either way it is not something I would hesitate to get looked at as I'm thinking if it is some kind of mechanical wear/failure and is related to the steering lock then you could end up in a right pickle - especially if you are driving at the time!

preacher
10-07-2007, 13:18
The car is about 3 years old with less than 10,000 miles on the clock.

mr_bo
10-07-2007, 13:26
The car is about 3 years old with less than 10,000 miles on the clock.
That's nothing for todays cars, you got any kind of warranty?

preacher
10-07-2007, 16:25
The car was a 'hand me down' from the wife's grandfather who rarely ever drives hence the small amount of usage.

Lord Nikon
13-07-2007, 12:51
phone skoda and ask about a replacement lock barrel from the vehicle key number, you won;t need new keys or a reprogram

simon9975
13-07-2007, 14:12
Just a quick query.
My wife's Fabia has been acting up of late.
She has a key with the Lock/Unlock fuction that I believe contains a microchip that the ignition recognises and allows you to turn the key.
We have 2 keys and quite often we put the key in the ignition and it will not turn at all, it seems to be locked.
Trying the other key sometimes allows it to work and we can start the car but this can happen with either key and can go on for hours before it decides to start!?
Any ideas people?
Thanks in advance.

It is a common fault with the fabia model,they are chaanged if the car is still under warrenty,

i work for vw so know its a problem among many.