PDA

View Full Version : Advice about my pet..

UncleBooBoo
08-07-2007, 21:34
I need some advice as I got a cat last January it's about seven months old now however as I (we) have found out my wife has an alergy to it. (she also suffers from hay fever.)

When I got the kitten I did not know she had an alergy and neither did she, the doctor confirmed it a couple of months ago and since we found out the cat was the cause we have tried to re-home him but no joy. My only option left is to have him put down but I do not want to do that as it's not his fault but my wife really is suffering and I have reduced the cat to being locked outdoors unless it's really bad weather!

Can anyone offer me any advice, a couple of people told me to take it a couple of miles down the road and leave it there but I can't do that because well thats just cruel, I am feeling guilty about taking it to be put down but I am stuck about what to do.

please help.......

Stuart
08-07-2007, 21:43
Talk to the Cats Protection League (http://www.cats.org.uk/). They can give advice on rehoming, and may be able to help.

As for leaving it down the road. Please don't. You will be condeming a house cat to a life as a stray.

papa smurf
08-07-2007, 21:57
your wife could try piriton[alergy meds]works for my son he's alergic to just about everything ,if it works you can keep the cat

UncleBooBoo
08-07-2007, 22:06
Thanks for the advice, I can't really ask my wife to take tablets every day for the next 15-20 years just so I can keep him. I have no intention of "leaving him down the road" I will take him to the vets if I have to!

I'll try and contact the cats protection league tomorrow and see what they say, it seems that nobodys really interested unless the animal is suffering. :(

WHISTLED
08-07-2007, 22:22
Personaly I think its absolutely appauling that you have even considered putting a healthy cat down just because your wife is allergic to him.

Cats Protection League are very well known and would have been suggested by most if not all vets if contacted they are also one of the first hits on a search engine when you put 'cat rehoming'

The RSPCA will try and tak you out of giving up an animal as they have quite enough to deal with but if they know there is not an alternative they will help.

You clearly havent tried very hard - No your wife shouldnt have to take tablets for the rest of the cats life but she should be expected to take them for as long as is necessary to find the cat a safe home.

Cats are pretty tough, god knows mine spends more time out than in but that doesnt mean he should be left outside all the time in fact you are almost certainly breaking the law under the new animal welfare act.

Halcyon
08-07-2007, 22:25
Advertise it in the paper or put up a photo in your local post office.
I'm sure someone will take the cat in and give it a good home, especially if it is free.

UncleBooBoo
08-07-2007, 22:38
Personaly I think its absolutely appauling that you have even considered putting a healthy cat down just because your wife is allergic to him.

Cats Protection League are very well known and would have been suggested by most if not all vets if contacted they are also one of the first hits on a search engine when you put 'cat rehoming'

The RSPCA will try and tak you out of giving up an animal as they have quite enough to deal with but if they know there is not an alternative they will help.

You clearly havent tried very hard - No your wife shouldnt have to take tablets for the rest of the cats life but she should be expected to take them for as long as is necessary to find the cat a safe home.

Cats are pretty tough, god knows mine spends more time out than in but that doesnt mean he should be left outside all the time in fact you are almost certainly breaking the law under the new animal welfare act.

Feel better now?

RSPCA were not interested in my dilema and as stated in my above post I will call CPL tomorrow.

Obviously I care otherwise I would not have called the RSPCA neither would I have posted here asking for advice!

Advertise it in the paper or put up a photo in your local post office.
I'm sure someone will take the cat in and give it a good home, especially if it is free.

Done, Done and Done! Infact I have been doing that for nearly 2 months now and I cannot belive nodoby is interested!

peanut
08-07-2007, 22:44
I was allergic to cats till the missus got one. Had a few rough days but I managed to 'overcome' the allergy and now it's gone.

I used to blister, sneeze, the works etc but I kinda out grew it. Not saying it will work for everyone though.

Pia
08-07-2007, 22:47
Done, Done and Done! Infact I have been doing that for nearly 2 months now and I cannot belive nodoby is interested!
Unfortunately it's that time of year where cats are at it like errr rabbits and there's plenty of new kittens to go round. Good luck with rehoming, what area are you in?

UncleBooBoo
08-07-2007, 22:57
My cat is well looked after, plenty of food, has been neutered as well as had all the vet checks from the go. If it rains or is cold/windy it stays in the kitchen.

However I cannot keep this up forever and it's not fair on my wife!

She has blister type scabs over her arms and legs which are painfull and are getting worse cause she keeps scratching them, she also sneezes and has red, itchy swollen eyes.

The doctor has given her two different prescriptions the first did nothing however the second has helped ease the alergy but it's still a problem.

It's easy to say awww poor cat what about my wifes pain and suffering? We are trying our best and all the RSPCA told us was to do what Halcyon sujested but we have had no joy yet!

Only option I have left really is the CPL, if I get no joy there I will hold off as long as I can and try and find a home otherwise i'm lost about what I should do!

I was kind of hoping that by going to the vet he may help force the rspca to help me! :confused:

peanut
08-07-2007, 22:58
I'd get rid of the wife. ;) :D

UncleBooBoo
08-07-2007, 22:59
I'd get rid of the wife. ;) :D

Tried that, left her in Tesco's on thursday but she found her way back home! ;)

peanut
08-07-2007, 23:01
Tried that, left her in Tesco's on thursday but she found her way back home! ;)

Try lethal injection, never fails. :disturbd:

But seriously http://www.pdsa.org.uk/index.html

They will never put a healthy animal to sleep and they rehouse , as that's where we got ours from.

danielf
08-07-2007, 23:10
<snip>

However I cannot keep this up forever and it's not fair on my wife!

She has blister type scabs over her arms and legs which are painful and are getting worse cause she keeps scratching them, she also sneezes and has red, itchy swollen eyes.

The doctor has given her two different prescriptions the first did nothing however the second has helped ease the alergy but it's still a problem.

It's easy to say awww poor cat what about my wifes pain and suffering? We are trying to our best all the RSPCA told us was to do what Halcyon suggested but we have had no joy yet!

It seems to me that you've tried pretty hard to have it relocated/ battle the allergy. The situation you describe is clearly not tenable. I think you're justified in considering taking it down the vets. Clearly, considering the difficulty you're having finding a new home, cats aren't exactly in short supply. It wouldn't be my first choice (and it clearly isn't your), but if all else fails...

(Danielf dons flame-proof vest, and gets ready for a torrent of red reps :))

Stuart
08-07-2007, 23:14
UncleBooBoo, do you have any friends/family nearby that are happy to take the cat?

Angua
08-07-2007, 23:21
Or the Blue Cross. There are loads of places out there who can help, you could even try local Catteries and vets who may know of an owner willing to take another cat in. If we knew which county you were in we could perhaps find more local information for you.

Linky in my Sig.

lauzjp
09-07-2007, 00:35
try searching on catchat.org http://www.catchat.org/adoption/ they have links to places in all sorts of areas who will take on your cat. :)

Angua
09-07-2007, 07:02
Found another site for you Cat Rescue Search (http://www.petsneedyou.org.uk/cat_rescue_search.php)

UncleBooBoo
09-07-2007, 09:01
Thanks for all your offers of help, I am just outside swansea city. I am going to spend the day calling people!

As for my family my mum has a dog, my sister has a cat already and so does my gran! (Gran's cat was a rescued cat.)

I have asked around but nobody wants him. with any luck someone will offer me some help today, I'll start by calling RSPCA then CPL and will take it from there!

I will let you all know how I get on.

Taf
09-07-2007, 11:00
The Cat Protection League may help, that's where we found our Oscar... and he adopted us...

http://www.cats.org.uk/

ikthius
09-07-2007, 11:30
send the cat to OB

ik

Stuart
09-07-2007, 11:46
I would offer, but I already have one male cat (who is very territorial) and two dogs.

UncleBooBoo
09-07-2007, 13:34
LOL thanks Stuart C, I called RSPCA who gave me a number for their shelter near me but they were not interested as they were full however they did take my name and addy along with my phone number in case anyone is interested. Same with the Cats Protection League also the same response from two other catteries that I called!

So I am at a loss, I will hold off another 3-4 weeks to see if I get any joy from them as well as post an advert (again) in my local paper otherwise it's got to go to the vets!

Fingy
09-07-2007, 14:32
I am allergic to my cat. When we initially got him I had to take an anti-histimine daily.

Now that I am more used to having him around and he is out and about more often I find that I am only taking a tablet about once or twice a week.

rogerdraig
09-07-2007, 14:51
it might not be just the cat i am alegic to most everything but having pets helped reduce the really huge reaction i got when i came across cats or dogs

i am not trying to be funny here but does she follow the basics that is ( and i still have to do this after petting the animals otherwise i look like i did 12 rounds with mike tyson )

wash hands if you touch them or anything they sleep lie on etc and untill you do don't touch face or any other area that seems to have a reaction

as blistering on arm etc normally wont happen unless your scratched or you itch yourself as the dander that mostly causes the reaction wont penetrate skin with out help

you also need to be more fussy than usual with vacuuming carpets plus never let it in your bedroom

else as others have said i am sure the cpl will help given your dilemma

papa smurf
09-07-2007, 19:44
Unfortunately it's that time of year where cats are at it like errr rabbits and there's plenty of new kittens to go round. Good luck with rehoming, what area are you in?

what eating carrots ?

homealone
09-07-2007, 20:23
You could try regularly brushing the cat (outdoors), and give it a bath, using baby shampoo, every 4-6 weeks. That will help reduce the amount of hair, dead skin cells & dried saliva coming from the cat, each of which could be the cause of the allergic reaction.

Other advice I've seen includes swapping all carpets for hard floor coverings, replacing curtains with blinds, etc - basically anything that could harbour dust should be replaced with something a lot easier to keep clean...

- that is obviously pretty drastic, & I wouldn't be surprised if your wife may be wanting some 'compensation' when you mention the expense of converting your home to the equivalent of a microchip fab 'clean room'. ;)

Re-homing the cat has to be the best solution, & I'm sorry I can do no more than wish you the best of luck with that.

UncleBooBoo
09-07-2007, 20:33
Other advice I've seen includes swapping all carpets for hard floor coverings, replacing curtains with blinds, etc - basically anything that could harbour dust should be replaced with something a lot easier to keep clean...

- that is obviously pretty drastic, & I wouldn't be surprised if your wife may be wanting some 'compensation' when you mention the expense of converting your home to the equivalent of a microchip fab 'clean room'. ;)

:LOL:

Only offer I have had so far is from someone who offered to put it on a farm which has a load of stray cats! (said no cause they might kill him as he is tame)

And I gave him a bath last week cause he was covered in poo, im not joking you should of seen the pair of us, it was light trying to give a piranaha a bath!

homealone
09-07-2007, 20:40
:LOL:

Only offer I have had so far is from someone who offered to put it on a farm which has a load of stray cats! (said no cause they might kill him as he is tame)

And I gave him a bath last week cause he was covered in poo, im not joking you should of seen the pair of us, it was light trying to give a piranaha a bath!

:D

Kudos to you for keeping a sense of humour - and also for trying to do the right thing by the cat :tu:

joglynne
09-07-2007, 23:43
As you have tried just about all means there are to rehouse your cat but have failed to find a solution I was wondering if you would consider contacting your local free paper if you have one in a different way.

Our local 'Metro' is always asking for written contributions and seems to publish local interest stories quite regularly.

You have managed to keep your sense of humour and I suspect that if you write about your experiences in that way, emphasising all your cats good points, your local paper may publish an short article which could result in a potential new owner contacting you.

Jo

Tech_Boy
09-07-2007, 23:51
I've sent you a Pm mate.

handyman
10-07-2007, 00:18
I'm allergic to cats but have found the best way is to spend plenty of time with them and it has reduced my reaction to a barely worth bothering about sneeze.

One would have thought that having the cat would get her immune system used to it over time whilst getting rid of it leaves her with the chance of a worse reaction from another animal.

Unfortunately putting an animal to sleep because your wife is allergic is despicable. If your thinking that way then you don't deserve to have animals. In fact you'll probably have to sign a disclaimer with the cpl stating that you won't have any more cats.

Shaun
10-07-2007, 02:57
I've sent you a Pm mate.

Firearms enthusiast

:scratch:

Druchii
10-07-2007, 04:31
:scratch:

Services: Inhumations, for the right price

Faulty
10-07-2007, 08:29
Wish i could take it off your hands, would be a nice playmate for Little Miss, unfortunately she is a carrier for the Feline Herpes so i dont want to take a chance, but if you would like i could call some rescue places up here in Milton Keynes, i know it is far from you, but rather that than put a beautiful healthy cat down. I'm sure you will find a way to get the kitty a lovely home, have you tried advertising at all the pet stores in your area?
As for your wifes allergy, it sounds quite severe, i doubt she will grow out of it like alot of people do. I'm allergic to cats, but if i am around them enough i build up an immunity, so i'm one of the lucky ones.

UncleBooBoo
10-07-2007, 09:00
I'm allergic to cats but have found the best way is to spend plenty of time with them and it has reduced my reaction to a barely worth bothering about sneeze.

One would have thought that having the cat would get her immune system used to it over time whilst getting rid of it leaves her with the chance of a worse reaction from another animal.

Unfortunately putting an animal to sleep because your wife is allergic is despicable. If your thinking that way then you don't deserve to have animals. In fact you'll probably have to sign a disclaimer with the cpl stating that you won't have any more cats.

Yea ok I guess I am just an evil nasty person! What does that make the RSPCA and CPL then? Because they had no interest in the cat when I called???

All they did was take my name, address and phone number and said if anyone is interested in a cat they would pass my number on. (OK fair enough, that's why I said I will wait another month or so.) The chances of anyone going to be interested in a cat they can't see when they got hundreds in front of them they can simply pick from is going to be very slim though??? (I would of thought)

-------------------

Anyway just to provide an update so far, someone is interested in offering Beans (name of cat) a new home so if everything goes well...

Angua
10-07-2007, 09:43
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif

UncleBooBoo
10-07-2007, 09:58
Just in case anyone is interested, a pic of Beans can be found by clicking on the link below:

http://public.myprivateserver.co.uk/Beans.jpg

Tech_Boy
10-07-2007, 10:30
Just to put Shaun & Druchii's minds at rest, I could never harm a living creature, either sentient or management(just don't tell the management in VM;)).

I currently have several pets, 1 dog, 2 cats, & a rabbit that lives wild in the garden, but still uses its hutch for it's loo.

So I think that Beans will be happy here, Just waiting to hear from UncleBooBoo, as to when I can pick him up on Saturday.

Tech_Boy

danielf
10-07-2007, 10:35
Great News! :tu: Techboy :)

Alien
10-07-2007, 14:07
That will help reduce the amount of hair, dead skin cells & dried saliva coming from the cat, each of which could be the cause of the allergic reaction.
Apparently there are other sources.
Millions worldwide are cat-allergic because of the glycoprotein Fel d 1, secreted by the sebaceous glands.

It is found in the fur, pelt, saliva, serum, urine, mucous, salivary glands and hair roots of felines.

Anyone who REALLY wants a cat, but is either allergic or lives with someone who is allergic, & who has a few grand spare may be pleased to know that you can buy a genetically modified cat (http://www.allerca.com/) that is safe for people who are normally allergic to cats.

That reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid. 1 morning, when I was about 5 years old, I woke up early, & being bored I went downstairs to see what the cats were doing. I discovered 1 washing herself, as cats do, & as a naive & helpful 5 year old, I decided I wanted to help her... Shortly afterwards I went upstairs to my parents room.

Me: Mum, I'm bored!
Mum: [sleepily - I did say it was early] Go and read your comics.
Me: I've read all my comics.
Mum: Why don't you read 1 of your books then?
Me: I've read all my comics, I've read all my books, & I've washed the cat. I'm bored!
Mum: What?!?!?!?

My mum raced downstairs to find the poor cat covered with half a bottle of Fairy Liquid. Yes, I know now what a bad idea it was, but hey - I was only 5 years old at the time. :disturbd: My mum had to take the poor cat into the shower to clean her off. As you can understand from your recent experience, the cat wasn't entirely cooperative.

Just in case anyone is interested, a pic of Beans can be found by clicking on the link below:

Awww! Adoreable!

Shaun
10-07-2007, 14:29
but if you would like i could call some rescue places up here in Milton Keynes

I could have swore I read that as research not rescue!:erm:

Angua
10-07-2007, 18:31

Reminds me of one of our cats called Marmaduke

homealone
10-07-2007, 21:11
Apparently there are other sources.

Millions worldwide are cat-allergic because of the glycoprotein Fel d 1, secreted by the sebaceous glands.

It is found in the fur, pelt, saliva, serum, urine, mucous, salivary glands and hair roots of felines.

Thanks for that - v. interesting :)

Just to put Shaun & Druchii's minds at rest, I could never harm a living creature, either sentient or management(just don't tell the management in VM;)).

I currently have several pets, 1 dog, 2 cats, & a rabbit that lives wild in the garden, but still uses its hutch for it's loo.

So I think that Beans will be happy here, Just waiting to hear from UncleBooBoo, as to when I can pick him up on Saturday.

Tech_Boy

What a bloke, eh, fantastic gesture :tu:

Jules
11-07-2007, 17:10
I so wish I hadn't looked at the picture as it so looks like my cat that I had, I would take him/her in a heartbeat but my dog hates cats :(

UncleBooBoo
11-07-2007, 19:34
I so wish I hadn't looked at the picture as it so looks like my cat that I had, I would take him/her in a heartbeat but my dog hates cats :(

LOL he was in a mood when I took that picture because I had just stopped him from playing with my youngest sons socks! :D

Faulty
12-07-2007, 11:32
He is gorgeous, wish i could have a house full of cute kittys :)

lauzjp
12-07-2007, 13:16
so many cute kitties! However, I still have clothes that are covered in fluff, and its been at least a week since the last one died - bless him. He really didn't want to go! He-she. The second photo is over a year ago - he used to be a stray, then a few months ago he just wondered in..

UncleBooBoo
14-07-2007, 10:38
I'm posting back to let all of you who have taken an interest know that Beans has now been re-homed!

Thank you Tech Boy, hope Beans is happy in his new home!

Halcyon
14-07-2007, 10:44
That's great. :tu:
I'm pleased that he has found a new home.

Tech_Boy
14-07-2007, 11:43
Beans is busy exploring at the moment, neither of my other cats are in at the moment, so I think that he's looking for them, as he can smell them.
They'll meet sometime later today.

lauzjp
14-07-2007, 20:06
aw! that's great news. fingers crossed that all the pusscats get on, I'm sure they will - our neighbours did when no-one was looking! They liked the attention they all got from hissing etc. :rolleyes:

Tech_Boy
14-07-2007, 21:57
Well, Beans has met our youngest cat & after a little hissing & spitting, they are getting on better.
Then he met the dog....... & went for him big style. It'll take him a while to get used to the dog, but he seems happy.
Pics below

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/24.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/25.jpg

homealone
14-07-2007, 21:59
he looks to have settled right in :tu:

UncleBooBoo
14-07-2007, 22:47
Beans has never been around dogs before, but he has been around cats. I guess he is nervous and I am 100% sure he will get along with your cats it's just going to take a few days!

As for the dog, well I was not sure about that from the start, but Beans is young and he will adjust! think it will take him a bit of time to get used to the dog though!!!

He looks well miffed in the first picture (lol) but looks a lot happier in the second (a lot more relaxed - more at home if you know what I mean)

Ben has been waiting for you to bring him back home! He will be happy tomorrow when I show him those photo's! :tu:

Glad you took his house now, sort of gives him his domain while he settles in!

Thanks for the update...

homealone
14-07-2007, 23:47
Beans has never been around dogs before, but he has been around cats. I guess he is nervous and I am 100% sure he will get along with your cats it's just going to take a few days!

As for the dog, well I was not sure about that from the start, but Beans is young and he will adjust! think it will take him a bit of time to get used to the dog though!!!

He looks well miffed in the first picture (lol) but looks a lot happier in the second (a lot more relaxed - more at home if you know what I mean)

Ben has been waiting for you to bring him back home! He will be happy tomorrow when I show him those photo's! :tu:

Glad you took his house now, sort of gives him his domain while he settles in!

Thanks for the update...

has your wife noticed any difference?

Stuart
14-07-2007, 23:58
Well, Beans has met our youngest cat & after a little hissing & spitting, they are getting on better.
Then he met the dog....... & went for him big style. It'll take him a while to get used to the dog, but he seems happy.

Tech_boy, I don't know if you've ever rehomed a cat, but when rehoming any pets (particularly cats), you should lock them inside for six weeks, so they can get acclimatised to their new home.

lauzjp
14-07-2007, 23:59
sorry to go 'aw' again, but AAAAAAAAAAW! He has his own house? Wow! That's so cute. :D Bless him, and bless techboy for taking Beans in. :tu:

UncleBooBoo
15-07-2007, 09:36
has your wife noticed any difference?

Not that much no, but I will be cleaning down the kitchen etc.... later!

I guess it will take a few days before she sees any noticeable differences??

lauzjp
15-07-2007, 09:40
it's taken Anton and I at least a week or two even, before we really noticed how less fluffy everything is, we have treated the carpets and furniture with anti-flea stuff several times. he's definately used his inhaler a lot less though. :tu:

Is your wife allergic to flowers hint hint?! ;)

Tech_Boy
15-07-2007, 10:48
Stuart C, we have rehomed lots of cats in the past and know that we have to keep them in for weeks to get used to us.

The youngest of the two cats we allready had called Sooty, is about the same age as Beans, he was found as a kitten dumped in a barrel behind the steelworks in Port Talbot.

We are trying to get him used to our other pets gradually, before we start letting him out.

I woke at 4:30 this morning to find Beans one side of my legs & Sooty on the other, with Beans growling at Sooty, so they are slowly getting used to each other:).

Jules
15-07-2007, 16:15
I am so glad the story has a happy ending and don't worry about him getting use to the dog it will happen :)

Stuart
15-07-2007, 18:38
Stuart C, we have rehomed lots of cats in the past and know that we have to keep them in for weeks to get used to us.

The youngest of the two cats we allready had called Sooty, is about the same age as Beans, he was found as a kitten dumped in a barrel behind the steelworks in Port Talbot.

We are trying to get him used to our other pets gradually, before we start letting him out.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising, it's just I know that sometimes, people do forget (or not know about) that little step, and lose their cat as a result.

I woke at 4:30 this morning to find Beans one side of my legs & Sooty on the other, with Beans growling at Sooty, so they are slowly getting used to each other:).

Sounds like they might fight, but both end up happy..