PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo install help please!

Chris
28-06-2007, 20:26
I'm replacing the stereo in my car. Connecting the speaker wires was a doddle, as the car's wiring was on an ISO plug. It snapped in place in the ISO wiring harness supplied with my new stereo.

Unfortunately, the ground, ignition and battery wires do not have a handy ISO plug. As you can see on the left of the photo below, they are connected directly to the connecting wires on the old stereo, within some kind of crimped plastic sheath. The black, red and orange wires are the old stereo's ground, ignition and battery wires respectively.

What I'm looking for is some advice on the best way to complete this installation. Do I need to go get an ISO plug from Halfords, or can I disconnect the new stereo's power wires from the harness and somehow join them directly to the ones on the car?

I've got screwdrivers and things to strip wire but no dedicated crimping tools, plastic sheathing or anything else like that.

Help!

http://homepage.mac.com/towny/carwire.jpg

jellybaby
28-06-2007, 20:41
I'd recommend buying an ISO plug from halfords and fixing the wires to that. Would be a much more secure fitting, and handy in the future if you ever want to change stereo's again.
I changed mine last thursday in the carpark while Mrs Jellybaby did the shopping lol. Took me all of 3 mins.

:)

Tricky
28-06-2007, 20:44
You cannot undo those Blue connectors and even if you manage it they'll never crimp again. Cheapest option would be a terminal block from B+Q (usually white) with a screw over each hole to join the wires.

alternatively purchase some new connectors and a pair of wire strippers with the crimp tool

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-06-2007, 20:46
If you cant crimp get a plug, the last thing you want is a dash fire because youve got a short

Chris
28-06-2007, 20:56
You cannot undo those Blue connectors and even if you manage it they'll never crimp again. Cheapest option would be a terminal block from B+Q (usually white) with a screw over each hole to join the wires.

alternatively purchase some new connectors and a pair of wire strippers with the crimp tool

I did wonder about that. I'm all for the neat and tidy Jellybaby option of buying an ISO plug, but assuming I did get the wires out of the blue sheath, would I then need to be able to crimp some little metal widget onto the ends of them before they would fit into the new ISO?

I like the idea of using a standard plastic wire connector a la B&Q if you're sure that would do the job acceptably well. I may even have a couple of those lurking in my toolbox.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

If you cant crimp get a plug, the last thing you want is a dash fire because youve got a short

Sorry ... please explain 'if you can't crimp, get a plug' ... I'm not sure which options open to me require crimping.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Can we be clear ... hands up who thinks it will be safe and effective if I cut the car wires from the blue sheath, cut the new stereo wires from the harness, and connect them with one of these?

Download Failed (1)

bopdude
28-06-2007, 20:58
Those are insulated ferrals as opposed to the bare / un-insulated type, make sure your not gonna short anything to earth. If you have the code for the radio, disconnect the battery, if you have no code, it can be got ;)
Then there are 2 options, the choc block option or more ferrals ( needed the crimp tool ) choc blocks are the way to go, make sure they're 15 amp rated and make sure all terminations are good and tight. Insulate the choc block with tape so as no shorts can happen via the screw heads.

HTH

Yes to your edit al la getting them tight :tu:

Chris
28-06-2007, 21:03
Sorry, I'm getting lost now. What's a ferral?

What's a choc block? An ISO, or the white plastic thing in my second photo?

What about getting them tight? I don't think I mentioned that ... :confused: :disturbd: :)

brundles
28-06-2007, 21:13
The ISO blocks are ideal for this sort of thing - the only irritation is the amount of wire you have to stash behind the stereo. Especially as some stereos don't use ISO blocks themselves and you end up with a 3ft of wire to stash as you have a car to ISO and ISO to stereo adapter.

Grrr - should all be forced to use the same standard. I still don't see why cars aren't just built using ISO blocks and the same for car stereos!

Graham M
28-06-2007, 21:16
Grrr - should all be forced to use the same standard. I still don't see why cars aren't just built using ISO blocks and the same for car stereos!

Because that would mean that Sony wouldn't get an extra £20 for the Wiring Harness! Anyway ISO for those who don't know stands for Internation STANDARDS Organisation, would be nice if it was completely standard :p:

Oh go and buy a ISO Plug (About a fiver I'd have thought) some Bullet Connectors suitable for the Amperage of the Stereo (Defined by the fuse usually found in the back) and a crimp tool for a tenner, nice and simple and easy to change should you need, job done :)

I did mine in this way, only used a connector block for the low Voltage Wires (4 sets of speakers)

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-06-2007, 21:21
I did wonder about that. I'm all for the neat and tidy Jellybaby option of buying an ISO plug, but assuming I did get the wires out of the blue sheath, would I then need to be able to crimp some little metal widget onto the ends of them before they would fit into the new ISO?

I like the idea of using a standard plastic wire connector a la B&Q if you're sure that would do the job acceptably well. I may even have a couple of those lurking in my toolbox.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Sorry ... please explain 'if you can't crimp, get a plug' ... I'm not sure which options open to me require crimping.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Can we be clear ... hands up who thinks it will be safe and effective if I cut the car wires from the blue sheath, cut the new stereo wires from the harness, and connect them with one of these?

http://homepage.mac.com/towny/wiring.jpg

If you crimp you need those blue inline connectors you first showed. Yes you can use the connecting block as shown in the quote. Make sure you give it a good wrapping of insualtion tape though

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Dont go to bed dreaming of

http://www.freefoto.com/browse.jsp?id=28-10-0

wilkie2
28-06-2007, 21:23
nip into your local diy shop and buy some scotchlocks then the only crimping tool you will need is a pair of pliers,alternatively use the white blocks in your pics,make sure there are no loose wires and wrap a bit of insulation tape round them(dont need it but will stop you worrying;) ) i have fitted hundreds and used those white blocks without a single problem

Chris
28-06-2007, 22:13
Because that would mean that Sony wouldn't get an extra £20 for the Wiring Harness! Anyway ISO for those who don't know stands for Internation STANDARDS Organisation, would be nice if it was completely standard :p:

Oh go and buy a ISO Plug (About a fiver I'd have thought) some Bullet Connectors suitable for the Amperage of the Stereo (Defined by the fuse usually found in the back) and a crimp tool for a tenner, nice and simple and easy to change should you need, job done :)

I did mine in this way, only used a connector block for the low Voltage Wires (4 sets of speakers)

I have to say, I am tempted to do it this way - definitely the tidiest solution, and the one that doesn't involve damaging the wiring harness supplied with the new stereo. Doing it with a new ISO plug means cutting, and stripping just three wires.

I can also jump off my train home in Partick and pop into Motorworld to buy the stuff tomorrow afternoon, rather than having to drive out to B&Q. :D

Am I right in thinking that bullet connectors are small pieces of metal that you put over the end of the stripped wire, and which you then crimp into place, before jamming the wire into the back of the new ISO plug?

And is it necessary to buy the crimping tool, or can the same effect be achieved with pliers?

Graham M
28-06-2007, 23:58
No generally the ISO plug will have short tails of wire a Bullet connector is a male and female plastic insulated connector to connect to ends together, just a neat solution

Male:

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/220bbulletmale.JPG

Female
http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/15ampbullfem.JPG

greencreeper
28-06-2007, 23:59
My mate bought a new stereo (£40 cheap thing) and a connector to connect the car to the connector from the stereo. What happened to standards huh. Trouble was, when the ignition was turned off, all the settings were lost. Using a multimeter I worked out which was live and which was switched live. I then cut, crossed over and joined the wires using one of the choc blocks pictured above. Perfectly safe for 12V

Graham M
29-06-2007, 00:07
Safe for 12v but if that touched any bare metal in the car (lots of it!!!) you could end up with no end of problems. And it may only be 12v but its quite a high ampreage and hurts a bit if you get a buzz! lol (Well it does have to produce enough power to get the engine running - the Alternator will do the rest once it's going)

greencreeper
29-06-2007, 02:23
The choc block is plastic. The screws are recessed. Seems safe :shrug: But if you want to do the man thing and spend a fortune making something look nice that will never be seen, then fair enough :D

Chris
29-06-2007, 07:42
The choc block is plastic. The screws are recessed. Seems safe :shrug: But if you want to do the man thing and spend a fortune making something look nice that will never be seen, then fair enough :D

Damn your reverse psychology :p:

OK, I'm off to Maplin's at lunchtime to buy a chocablock. :D

Safe for 12v but if that touched any bare metal in the car (lots of it!!!) you could end up with no end of problems. And it may only be 12v but its quite a high ampreage and hurts a bit if you get a buzz! lol (Well it does have to produce enough power to get the engine running - the Alternator will do the rest once it's going)

If it stops you worrying about me zapping myself (or my car), I'll also get myself a roll of electrical tape just to make sure there's no bare metal. :)

BTW, the fuse in the back of the stereo is 10A.

Graham M
29-06-2007, 07:51
OK fine listen to him, but just make sure that the Chocblocks you get are OK up to the ampreage of teh car stereo (as i said there will be a fuse in the back of it - 20A or so usually)

Chris
29-06-2007, 10:40
OK fine listen to him, but just make sure that the Chocblocks you get are OK up to the ampreage of teh car stereo (as i said there will be a fuse in the back of it - 20A or so usually)

You wouldn't believe it to listen to me but I did a Technology GCSE at school ... the best part of 20 years ago! Lots of soldering, making circuits, electrocuting classmates with batteries and bits of spare wire... I've been finding that my confidence to do this job has come trickling back, the longer I stare at the wires and the more we talk about it on here (see, you didn't know you were giving me therapy, did you? :p: )

I don't want to spend a fortune installing this thing, especially as GC says, on making something look tidy that no-one will ever see! The choc block is quick and cheap and I can do it without buying a crimper (which I have never needed before and am unlikely ever to need again).

I would have liked to have bought an ISO plug but having stared hard at the wires fixed into the ones I already have, it seems to me that some kind of crimping or preparing would also be required in order to do that.

I promise to make sure I buy a high amperage choc block and to get all my wiring tidy. :D

I am now planning to cut the power wires below the blue plastic crimping that joins the car's wiring to the old stereo, effectively using pieces of the old stereo's wiring to fit into the choc block. The old stereo's wiring seems to be a heavier gauge of wire, and this plan also gives me more wire to play with should I find my wire stripping skills are a little rusty!

Thanks for your help, everyone. :)

Graham M
29-06-2007, 10:59
Thanks for your help, everyone. :)

Welcome :)

Chris
29-06-2007, 15:06
Well, I went to Maplin Electronics this lunchtime and I bought:

A universal ISO plug
A packet of red insulating butt splices
A roll of insulating tape

With a little more advice from a nice man in store I am now ready to do battle with my new car stereo.

The latest plan is to cut only the three power wires emerging from the old stereo, then to splice them onto the trailing wires of my new ISO plug with the butt splices (crimpable with pliers, helpfully).

I'm aware that all this probably sounds painfully basic to some of you, so thank you for your patience while I rediscover the art of DIY electronics. It's been a long while ... :)

wilkie2
29-06-2007, 15:21
just wait till you decide to add a remote start to your car........................

lovely in the winter when you can start the car and warm up the heating from the comfort of your house;)

Graham M
29-06-2007, 16:25
Yes Chris, that sounds good, good luck, its nice to have a good stereo :D Next you'll be wanting to fit an amp! :)

Lord Nikon
29-06-2007, 16:48
just wait till you decide to add a remote start to your car........................

lovely in the winter when you can start the car and warm up the heating from the comfort of your house;)

Funny you should mention that, I am about to install one for a friend of mine this weekend I think heh... (if he manages to get the rest of the car working)