PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Bigger than Sony - Official

Gareth
25-06-2007, 23:11
Wow... who would've thunked it?!?

source: http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2110771,00.html
Nintendo struck a symbolic blow against Sony today as its market capitalisation shot past its long-time rival.

In trading in Japan on Monday, Nintendo shares hit an all-time high of 46,350 yen, valuing the group at 6.56 trillion yen (£26.5bn). This was enough to overtake Sony, whose shares were down over 1%, giving it a market capitalisation of 6.5 trillion yen.

Analysts said this underlined the differing fortunes of the two electronics giants. While Sony's shares have gained around 40% over the last 12 months, Nintendo's shares have more than doubled.

Damien
25-06-2007, 23:24
Oh yeah!

JMcB
26-06-2007, 09:14
Nice one Nintendo.... Up the Wii

punky
26-06-2007, 09:19
Quite amazing considering Nintendo survives survives on consoles only, but Sony have TVs and DVD players etc.

fizgog
26-06-2007, 09:29
Quite amazing considering Nintendo survives survives on consoles only, but Sony have TVs and DVD players etc.

Don't forget Sony lose a fortune selling the PS3 to customers whereas Nintendo make a profit on every one it sells.

ginge51
26-06-2007, 19:21
bad bussiness from sony yet again.

cimt
26-06-2007, 19:47
I wonder if it is the same with Xbox 360, coz I think it was last yr when the Gamecube was outselling the normal Xbox.

christopherw
26-06-2007, 20:39
****, why didn't I buy shares.

fizgog
26-06-2007, 20:55
I wonder if it is the same with Xbox 360, coz I think it was last yr when the Gamecube was outselling the normal Xbox.

Last I heard they had just started to break even on the 360.

After the poor sales with the PSP and PS3, I wonder if Sony will end up like Sega and just develop games for both Microsoft and Nintendo.

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-06-2007, 21:18
Lets face it, Sony hasnt hardly come up with any new ideas. PS1, PS2, PS3, whats the difference other than processing power?

Tezcatlipoca
26-06-2007, 21:26

... and Sony Pictures Entertainment (Columbia TriStar etc. & a big chunk of MGM), Sony BMG Music, & more...

Damien
26-06-2007, 21:28

Maybe in Japan...The Gamecube bombed, it never did well. I think there was a week or two it was outselling the xbox back at the start but that soon stopped.

Gareth
26-06-2007, 22:25
Shame really that it bombed cause it's a great little console... much like the Dreamcast was brilliant but doomed to fail.

fizgog
26-06-2007, 22:34
Shame really that it bombed cause it's a great little console... much like the Dreamcast was brilliant but doomed to fail.

The Dreamcast had some great games for it but god that controller was awful.

Damien
26-06-2007, 22:52
The Dreamcast was because everyone was waiting for the PS2, also because they misunderstood how the market changed since the PS1. Ironically, Sony presumed people would wait for the PS3 in the same way failing to see how the market had changed since the xbox.

It is a mistake you see time and time again in the console industry and no console has held the top spot for more than 2 generations in a row. However, Nintendo took their beating with the Gamecube and came back strong with the Wii, this time with the idea that the market had changed to one they could not compete in anymore and so decided to explore a new market and its worked wonders for them.

Again, In another twist of fate it was Sonys PSP and its attempts to dominate the handheld market that forced the Nintendo to find a way to compete other than power which led to the DS, to have a console that played different. By accident it found a new market in areas nintendo did not envision when they created and they took this approach to the Wii.

Basically its gone full circle, the market is back where it was before the power spec race. To when gameplay was king :) Shame SEGA didnt adapt.

deathtrap3000
26-06-2007, 23:32
The Dreamcast was because everyone was waiting for the PS2, also because they misunderstood how the market changed since the PS1. Ironically, Sony presumed people would wait for the PS3 in the same way failing to see how the market had changed since the xbox.

It is a mistake you see time and time again in the console industry and no console has held the top spot for more than 2 generations in a row. However, Nintendo took their beating with the Gamecube and came back strong with the Wii, this time with the idea that the market had changed to one they could not compete in anymore and so decided to explore a new market and its worked wonders for them.

Again, In another twist of fate it was Sonys PSP and its attempts to dominate the handheld market that forced the Nintendo to find a way to compete other than power which led to the DS, to have a console that played different. By accident it found a new market in areas nintendo did not envision when they created and they took this approach to the Wii.

Basically its gone full circle, the market is back where it was before the power spec race. To when gameplay was king :) Shame SEGA didnt adapt.

I got nothing against the wii but its gameplay is crap. Its just a gimmic that everyones getting bored of. (when i say everyone, i mean me lol)

Tezcatlipoca
26-06-2007, 23:37
I'm not bored of mine.

What have you played?

If everyone's getting bored of it, then how come the Wii is still outselling the 360 & the PS3 around the world....

Damien
26-06-2007, 23:42
People said the DS was a gimmic too, the controls allow proper gameplay it just needs the games. Resident Evil 4 comes out friday, and a bunch of good games are coming in the next year or so

Gareth
27-06-2007, 00:03
I'd argue that its technical capabilities are crap... but not the gameplay. Wii Sports still gets a massive amount of playing in our house, and has done since Xmas (apart from boxing, but that's because Nintendo didn't implement that as well as they should have done). Similarly, Rayman works great with the Wiimote.

Admittedly, not all games work well with the Wiimote... Excite Truck, for example, would be just as good with the d-pad instead of turning the Wiimote like a steering wheel. But the way I see it is that developers were/are still finding their feet with regards the Wiimote, what works and what doesn't, what it should be used for and what it shouldn't. In Mario Strikers, for example, the Wiimote's motion capabilities aren't bringing anything new to the table, so you hardly use it and instead use the Wiimote like any other controller.

Sure, some companies will jump on the Wiimote bandwagon and produce games that are a pile of carp, but hopefully we'll see less of that as time goes on.

Games like Red Steel are an ideal genre for using the Wiimote... and I'd love to play a Star Wars game that used light sabres :D Super Monkey Ball was a disappointment, whereas Korporina worked much better. A cricket game would be ace too, as would a decent pool or snooker game. There are loads of games that could really use the Wiimote well, so I'd say it's not just a gimmick.

deathtrap3000
27-06-2007, 00:30
People are getting sucked in by all the claims of being involved with the games which arent being fulfilled. Take red steel for example, they claimed that whatever motion you put into the controller would be replicated on screen, but that didnt happen did it.

I have played the mario football game, wii sports, red steel, zelda twilight princess, wario ware, cod3, excite truck and rayman. The only good ones imo were wario and twilight princess.

Its the same with the ds. Although i did enjoy wario ware. Actually, if anyone can recommend some good games for the ds i might get one. (Ive been toying with the idea for some time now)

Damien
27-06-2007, 18:42
People are getting sucked in by all the claims of being involved with the games which arent being fulfilled. Take red steel for example, they claimed that whatever motion you put into the controller would be replicated on screen, but that didnt happen did it.

I have played the mario football game, wii sports, red steel, zelda twilight princess, wario ware, cod3, excite truck and rayman. The only good ones imo were wario and twilight princess.

Its the same with the ds. Although i did enjoy wario ware. Actually, if anyone can recommend some good games for the ds i might get one. (Ive been toying with the idea for some time now)

Pokemon Pearl
Phoenix Wright (ace game!)
Super Mario Bros
Mario Kart

to name just a few (i know there are some other big ones I am missing)

as for the Wii some games are good some are bad but the controls open up a different possiblitys for those games. Res evil 4 and Super Paper Mario are 2 that are coming soon.

Gareth
27-06-2007, 20:47
If you like Phoenix Wright, you might also like Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

Other great games are Trauma Centre, Brain Training, Animal Crossing, Elite Beat Agents, Mario64, Metroid Prime Hunters, Tetris DS, etc...

Also, vastly under-rated is Electroplankton. It's a great way of relieving stress :cool:

Uncle Peter
27-06-2007, 20:52
Touch Darts has also just come out on the DS and is supposed to be rather good despite not having a multiplayer wireless mode (which is kind of mind boggling).

High hopes for Sim City as well... hopefully that doesn't turn out to be a pile of.

Damien
28-06-2007, 22:53
Bah, Get Sim City for PC/Mac. Much better than a handheld could do.

Enuff
04-07-2007, 07:58
Wii is outselling the PS3 by 6 to 1

handyman
04-07-2007, 09:07

That must just be the console division. Sony have hi-fi, laptops, computers, dvd.... alsorts.