PDA

View Full Version : Washing At 30c

Zee
24-06-2007, 01:06
Do you wash at 30, and still get great looking white clothes and clean clothes.

All these companies now days are recommending 30c as the maximum temp to wash at.

Asda now have 30c at the maximum temp to wash at on all their clothes, Marks & Spencer still have the maximum temps, 30, 40 or 50 on the care label, but recommend you wash at 30.

Percil and Ariel have Ads on the TV telling us to switch down to 30c.

Now, my brother is always telling us to wash at 30c, but i feel my clothes dont get washed as well at that temp, even wish vanish etc... i always wash at 40c.

Maggy
24-06-2007, 02:20
Do you wash at 30, and still get great looking white clothes and clean clothes.

All these companies now days are recommending 30c as the maximum temp to wash at.

Asda now have 30c at the maximum temp to wash at on all their clothes, Marks & Spencer still have the maximum temps, 30, 40 or 50 on the care label, but recommend you wash at 30.

Percil and Ariel have Ads on the TV telling us to switch down to 30c.

Now, my brother is always telling us to wash at 30c, but i feel my clothes dont get washed as well at that temp, even wish vanish etc... i always wash at 40c.

It's about energy saving and cutting electricity usage and bills.The choice is entirely yours. :)

Jules
24-06-2007, 02:23
I wash most things at 40 because I am happy with the results

homealone
24-06-2007, 02:56
The 'biological' washing powders/liquids are better at 30°C because the enzymes work best at that kind of temperature.

Some people, me included, are sensitive to 'biological' solutions, though - and 'non-bio' does seem to be ok at 40°C - I remember the old 'boil wash' ;)

Shaun
24-06-2007, 03:01

Far more wasteful things than heating your clothes and extra 10 degrees!

Turn your thermostat down one for the house and you've off set it!

Switch all your appliances off instead of standby and you're doing well. :D

Tinky
24-06-2007, 07:37
- I remember the old 'boil wash' ;)

........and the Steamies and Reckitts Blue eh Gaz, lol?;)

alferret
24-06-2007, 10:53
Our washing machine is quite new and not that cheap. It has quite a lot of bells and whistles on it. But it is missing a 30c wash cycle so we wash everything aside from bedding an towels on 40c.

Zee
24-06-2007, 11:00
Our washing machine is quite new and not that cheap. It has quite a lot of bells and whistles on it. But it is missing a 30c wash cycle so we wash everything aside from bedding an towels on 40c.

Mines new too. It only misses the 50c cycle.

It has 30c, 35c, 40c, 60c, 75c & 95c

It has stuff like "Half Load" to save on water and most washing machines have "Quick Wash". It's also energy & water efficient so even at a full load wash, it'll use less water then other machines but stiff give results just as good, or even better then other machines.

JethroUK
24-06-2007, 11:32
It's about energy saving and cutting electricity usage and bills.The choice is entirely yours. :)

you can 'choose' to wash at 10 degrees or not to wash at all so that doesn't contribute much

the point being, manufacturers are 'claiming' that new stuff still cleans at 30 degrees - people are also making fair assumptions that it still 'cleans' - if it doesn't, then it's a false claim = illegal

i just brought up this issue with my wife because i have noticed that clothes/towels comming out of the washing machine smell dirty - they just smell like dirty towels that are wet and not 'clean' towels like they have just been come out washing machine

as we speak we are trying different powders and talking about going back to "60" degrees

alferret
24-06-2007, 21:53
Mines new too. It only misses the 50c cycle.

It has 30c, 35c, 40c, 60c, 75c & 95c

It has stuff like "Half Load" to save on water and most washing machines have "Quick Wash". It's also energy & water efficient so even at a full load wash, it'll use less water then other machines but stiff give results just as good, or even better then other machines.

My better half showed me how to select 30c washing I didnt realise RTFM was required with washing machines :o:

homealone
24-06-2007, 22:10
........and the Steamies and Reckitts Blue eh Gaz, lol?;)

not sure about steamies, but Reckitts Blue, definitely - my nan used to have a copper to heat the water, which was discharged into a tin bath with the washing in, plus washing powder & Reckitts Blue, sheets & towels first, then the colours would go in, lightest first, etc, then when the washing was finished, so as not to waste the warm water, she'd have her bath....

- my mums 'twin-tub' with the manual mangle was the height of modern luxury, when we got it - the ability to heat the water in the same thing you washed the clothes in was great - but, of course, you needed a separate bath ;)

AntiSilence
24-06-2007, 22:22
My washer doesn't do 30c. The lowest it does is 40. Not got a problem with white clothes though, since I don't own anything white.