PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Sky+ 3 weeks after drive upgrade

Keane_utd_fan
23-06-2007, 14:16
Hey all,

About 3 weeks ago I took my Sky+ box to be upgraded at an authorised sky dealer who told me he had upgraded many sky+ systems in the past, So I took it to him to have my standard sky+ hard drive (which was a 40gb Seagate) and he told me he changed it for a Samsung Hard drive 250gb. Had the box back off him, and have been using it fine for about 3 weeks, been able to watch and record programs fine, plenty of room for storage, all was going fine until.....

The other night I came home to find one of the connectors from the satelite dish had fallen out, so when I went to put it back in the little copper bit at the end snapped, so I had to recut down the cable so that I could get a long peice of copper and fit it back in.

Ever since then i've been having problems with my sky+ box and recordings. Particularly when I record the picture and sound are fine, but if I put the box on standby and wait for the program to start recording on its own, it doesn't. I will switch the box on and put it on the channel I want to record from, and it has a "no satelitte signal recieved" message, and when I check at the end of the program in the planner, it says the recording has "failed" with "no satellite signal" error message, I tried experimenting with this and i've noticed that IT DOESN'T FAIL EVERYTIME, it has recorded 1 or 2 programs that I wouldn't usually watch (emmerdale, big brother etc need I say more, would never watch them!!) but it fails often on some of my other recordings.

If it was my new drive that has gone faulty, would I still be able to play all my old recordings (which I can do with no problems). I can also record programs while watching them, it seems to fail when I set a program to record that is on in 10 minutes time and I put the box to standby, and the recording doesn't start (gives the no signal error and fails to record)

I'm that close to calling sky and asking for an engineer to visit,

I have an amstrad Sky+ and samsung drive installed if that helps,

Cheers,

Neil.

Mick Fisher
23-06-2007, 16:50
As the problems seem to stem from the time of your repair to (I'm guessing) a co-ax termination? I would think you would do well to re-examine your handiwork as your problems may well have more to do with a weak or intermittant signal than a faulty HDD install. :)

Keane_utd_fan
25-06-2007, 12:50
Thanks for saying, have remade coaxial cable and have got signal again, recordings working fine, thanks a lot :)