PDA

View Full Version : Installation Pictures

boldfire
21-06-2007, 09:28
Could people show pictures of their garden where the cable runs, the cable box on the house and any cables inside the house.

Pedro1
21-06-2007, 14:28
Why?

Bill C
21-06-2007, 14:30
Why?

Could be the OP wants to compare and see if his install is up to standard.

boldfire
21-06-2007, 16:11
Oh no, sorry should have made it clear. We want to see the general quality of installations before we order.

MovedGoalPosts
21-06-2007, 16:42
Since quality can in most cases come down to the individual installer, any worthwile photos would need to comoe from your local area. Even then you'd have no guarantee as to the installation crew.

What are your specific concerns? Whilst you will read various horror stories on here, it must be stated that websites always focus on the aggrieved. A vast majority of silent customers will be satisfied with their installs.

Pedro1
21-06-2007, 16:46
My cable comes from the right on the other side of the trees. It runs about a foot underground along in line with the fence protected in a green protective tube. It comes out the ground near a gutter downpipe and goes into the house through the brick work as you see in the pics.

grabbi
21-06-2007, 17:51
My Mums cable is completely on show. The Installer left a mess. All in all it was a shambles, but the service is good.

VM said they would refund the install charge if she complained.

fixerman
22-06-2007, 10:38
My neighbours installation!:Yikes:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/33614514-cut-through-cable-page-2.html

chickendippers
22-06-2007, 11:52
Here's our installation...it was done about 8 years ago so it's aged well.

N.B. The big cable in the last picture isn't related to the installation.

Pedro1
23-06-2007, 15:12
So what do you think boldfire? Are you getting the urge to become a VM customer?

fixerman
23-06-2007, 15:53
My installation was done perfectly in accordance with my instructions. I discussed the job with the installer on arrival and he agreed and I am very satisfied.:D

boldfire
24-06-2007, 23:26
Well the thing is yes we all do, apart from my Dad- bit of a BT fanboy to be honest and it all comes down to him. Right now i've got 722kbps whilst we are paying for 8mb -it seems like a raw deal, is 20mb on Virgin actually anywhere near 20mb?

jaym812
24-06-2007, 23:57
it a work of art!!!!!

Pedro1
27-06-2007, 18:26
Am getting 16-18 from my VM 20MB. Sometimes goes down to about 12-13 but not often.

Dave A
27-06-2007, 20:47
This might sound a bit of an odd question, but why is it installers install those brown boxes say on front of houses or flats yet others just have the cable inlet going straight through the wall sometimes with a brown plastic duct cover?

We just have our cable inlet going stright though the wall with a plastic cover over looks much neater. :confused:

morph178
28-06-2007, 16:43
This might sound a bit of an odd question, but why is it installers install those brown boxes say on front of houses or flats yet others just have the cable inlet going straight through the wall sometimes with a brown plastic duct cover?

We just have our cable inlet going stright though the wall with a plastic cover over looks much neater. :confused:

The omnibox (brown box) is fitted for 3 main reasons

a) To house a spare drop cable, ie when the install is done 2 cables are pulled, one for you one for your neighbour (to save all the hastle if your neighbour decides to get cable at a later stage, easy job, no garden to dig, no hassle if the duct is blocked or damaged because there is already a cable there.
b) A point to split the cable if you had Digi TV in the front room and wanted another STB or Modem in another part of the house and wanted the cable run externally.
c) And finally a service access point

PS1
28-06-2007, 18:58

a) To house a spare drop cable, ie when the install is done 2 cables are pulled, one for you one for your neighbour (to save all the hastle if your neighbour decides to get cable at a later stage, easy job, no garden to dig, no hassle if the duct is blocked or damaged because there is already a cable there.
b) A point to split the cable if you had Digi TV in the front room and wanted another STB or Modem in another part of the house and wanted the cable run externally.

B and C yes,A no chance

morph178
28-06-2007, 19:06
B and C yes,A no chance

Does happen here here in Scotland... "sometimes" :shocked:

Dave A
29-06-2007, 00:04

I see, Cheers for the prompt reply morph :tu:

B and C yes,A no chance

Sounds about right :)

Halcyon
29-06-2007, 10:34
We asked if we could have the little brown box on the wall inside the garage and it means it is away from the weather and people can't tamper with it.

boldfire
01-07-2007, 23:41
Getting a BT engineer out sometime this week - it's essentially their last chance to prove themselves to us.

Out of interest, what do Virgin Media vans look like? I always see Simpson Sky vans but don't recall ever seeing a Virgin Media branded one.

chickendippers
02-07-2007, 00:26
I spotted my first VM van the other day; they're not as big as the Sky vans and have a massive VM logo on the side - not really surprising.

VMNick
12-07-2007, 08:20
I was driving to Stansted Airport to catch a flight recently and I saw 4 branded Virgin Media vans.

They had motto's like "Unlike Sky our films our on-demand" and "Unlike BT our digital TV service, isn't glorified Freeview"

fixerman
12-07-2007, 12:01

The spare cable can also be used if, for any reason, your original cable gets damaged.

v0id
12-07-2007, 13:00
Out of interest, what do Virgin Media vans look like?

They've got Telewest Broadband plastered over the side :D

virginmedia
12-07-2007, 16:00
They've got Telewest Broadband plastered over the side :D

No they havent. They have had all the old logos took of them. Some are plain white waiting to be painted and some are Virgin Branded new ones or ones already painted.

Hope this Helps
John ;)

morph178
12-07-2007, 16:15
This is what they look like 14217

virginmedia
12-07-2007, 16:21
This is what they look like 14217

They look different round here.

John

PS1
12-07-2007, 19:50
I think this is what they use in my area

doh,wheres my pic gone?

ahhh,thats better.tut

NTLVictim
12-07-2007, 19:52
Morph? scramble the plate.

morph178
12-07-2007, 20:03
Morph? scramble the plate.

Eh?:shrug:

NTLVictim
12-07-2007, 23:07
Registration plate.

v0id
13-07-2007, 00:06
No they havent. They have had all the old logos took of them. Some are plain white waiting to be painted and some are Virgin Branded new ones or ones already painted.

Hope this Helps
John ;)

Not around here they haven't ;)