PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving from AOL to Virgin

Kate Irvine
20-06-2007, 14:01
I have been using AOL for almost 10 years and I currently access AOL broadband service via Virgin cable. I am thinking of cancelling my AOL plan to take advantage of Virgin's much cheaper costs (since I already have Virgin phone and TV). Not only that I cannot access my employer's VPN due to browser issues with AOL software, so moving totally over to Virgin would allow me to do this (I think!).

I am using a PC (not laptop) with Windows XP and have a few questions before I make my move -

1) When I checked Virgin's site to assess PC compatibility it said that an Ethernet Card is required to access their service. I checked device manager and under network adaptors it shows my cable model and also an SIS 900-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adaptor. Does this mean I already have a card installed? If not the same thing, how do I check to see if I have an Ethernet card installed or not?

2) I have seen reference to a MAC number on this site. What is this? Would I need to get this from AOL if I was cancelling service from them to allow me to get set up with Virgin?

3) How straightforward is it to set up Virgin access when I have been using AOL for so long?

4) Since cable supplied already by Virgin, I am assuming that they would just post me a modem box and start up disc. Or would my existing AOL box work?

Any help would be appreciated because the longer I dither about making the change the more it costs me.

Halcyon
20-06-2007, 14:14
:welcome: to the forums.

1) It sounds like you have one installed.
To find out look on the back of your computer for a port that looks like this:
http://support.morehouse.edu/whatis-network/ethernet-jack-on-computer.jpg

2) No you do not need to get a Mac from AOL.
This is a unique address that belongs to the modem.
It comes with the modem that VirginMedia give to you.
You do not need to worry about this. Only if you had problems or were calling customer support do you need to sometimes quote it or to register your new connection.
Do not give this number out to anyone else other than Virginmedia.

3) It is extremely straight forward to connect.
You hook up the modem to your computer with an ethernet cable normally supplied with it.
First turn on the modem, wait for about a minute for the lights to settle down and then boot up your computer.
Start your web browser and input any web address. It should redirect you to the registration page.
You don't normally need to use the CD these days.

You can get settings for configuring your E-mail address and account settings off the VirginMedia website.

4) You can ask for a self install where they do send you just that.
You then hook up the modem yourself to your existing VirginMedia cable connection.
I take it you have the existing cable coming in and a box on the wall yes ?

Your AOL modem will not work as it is an ADSL modem. VirginMedia use a broadband cable modem and they do not work in the same way.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask.

Kate Irvine
20-06-2007, 14:43
I have a port that is like that. I now have a new PC but in my old one I used that port for my dial up connection before I got broadband. Could this be the same thing?

Thanks for rest of info. I feel a lot happier about switching over now.

Chris W
20-06-2007, 15:01
It is a slightly different port (shape and size) but your device manager list confirms that you do have the relevant ethernet card in the computer, so you can use that without problems.

Halcyon
20-06-2007, 19:36
As Chris says, they do look slightly different, very similar, but different.
The ethernet port is slightly bigger than the old dial up modem ports.
You definately have one and you will find that any new computer you buy these days will come with them.

Just remember to connect and switch everything on in the order I mentioned and you shouldnt have any problems.

Stick around too. You can learn a lot of stuff here.
It's always good to see new members. :)

Marge
20-06-2007, 20:20
Your AOL modem will not work as it is an ADSL modem. VirginMedia use a broadband cable modem and they do not work in the same way.

Sorry but this info is not quite right. Some AOL customers use the Virgin Cable network for their internet access, not everyone is an ADSL customer and I think the OP did say she does access via Virgin Cable.

Would probably just involve a modem swap so should be nice and easy..... all the cabling is already in place

Tezcatlipoca
20-06-2007, 22:47
2) No you do not need to get a Mac from AOL.
This is a unique address that belongs to the modem.
It comes with the modem that VirginMedia give to you.
You do not need to worry about this. Only if you had problems or were calling customer support do you need to sometimes quote it or to register your new connection.
Do not give this number out to anyone else other than Virginmedia.

Different "mac" - you're talking about a "Media Access Control address" ("MAC address"), whereas I believe that Kate Irvine is asking about a "Migration Authorisation Code" ("MAC").

A "MAC", as in a migration authorisation code, is required when "migrating" from one ADSL ISP to another, to minimise downtime (instead of having to go through a cease & re-provide).

As Kate Irvine is moving from AOL BB via VM cable, to VM BB via VM cable, there's no need for a MAC (so you were right to say "No", it's just I think the actual "mac" was wrong ;) :) ).

Halcyon
20-06-2007, 23:10
Thanks Matt and Marge. I hadnt thought of those additional things. :tu: