PDA

View Full Version : V+ Installed-Cable in the hedge!

medon
20-06-2007, 07:53
Just moved house and moved the tv,bb and phone to new address and had v+ in the lounge and stb in bedroom..So far so good.

They have threaded the service cable from the edge of the pavement along the privet hedge which runs between us and next door which is about 40 feet and at no point is it buried. When it leaves the hedge it is again surface for about 4 feet at the side of a fence.

Where it leaves the pavement they again lait it in the surface and threw some tarmac on top, not bothering with chasing it in the path. Before it enters the hedge it goes via next doors garden for a couple of feet cos supposedly this was the easy route!

The engineers had not a clue regarding connecting to our HD tv,just pluged in the HDMI and left it at that furtunatly it was a good day for cs who were helpful in assisting setting up the HD part of the tv and all is now working and must say V+ is impressive.

Virgin are now returning on the 30th to bury the cable following a call to 151.

Oh onemore, the cable goes around the house on the wall to get to the rear which is fine but half way the phone cable on his reel ran out so he joind another to it with insulation tape, would you expect this considering it's outside? They did give us a new stb in the bedroom though which was nice.

virginmedia
20-06-2007, 08:13
Would it be possible to see some pictures?

John

lespaul
20-06-2007, 20:44
Mine is like that. It comes up through the path next to my small wall which surrounds my front garden. It then goes over this small wall in then runs along the hedge just underneath that wood chip stuff that you find in adventure play grounds.

Once it nears the house it then surfaces and then goes into the box on the wall.

Now anyone with a pair of side cutters could very easily snip that cable just outside my wall. Is this not supposed to be in ducting?

I am getting an engineer out next Saturday 30th to install a V+ box and move the current STB. Is it worth saying anything to him/her?

virginmedia
20-06-2007, 20:52
Mine is like that. It comes up through the path next to my small wall which surrounds my front garden. It then goes over this small wall in then runs along the hedge just underneath that wood chip stuff that you find in adventure play grounds.

Once it nears the house it then surfaces and then goes into the box on the wall.

Now anyone with a pair of side cutters could very easily snip that cable just outside my wall. Is this not supposed to be in ducting?

I am getting an engineer out next Saturday 30th to install a V+ box and move the current STB. Is it worth saying anything to him/her?

Have you any pics?

If you are not happy phone them up and get somebody out.

John

Nedkelly
20-06-2007, 20:56
I would love to see some pics .The techs a re not alowed to join cable unless they have the right waterproof tape, electrical tape is no good .This really anoys me because they are getting away with it and causing problems for customers :mad:As for going through a hedge brain dead :dunce:Keep at them demand a supervisor or the installs manager dont stop until you see one

medon
21-06-2007, 09:18
Lespaul
Just keep an eye on them I could'nt due to work but it is really shoddy and I will post some pictures.They may give you a new stb like us and if you have HD tv make sure you are ok before they leave but cs are very helpful with the set up for that which is a good job cos the 3 idiots we got did not have a clue.We moved to another Virgin area (Leicester from Derby so I had to register the modem but again cs did a good job with that the engineers said I would have nothing to do, just switch on which was not the case.
You will love the V+ box though and all our channels came through in 5 minutes. The remote is easy to work which is good cos the boys did not know ,other than where the batteries went! No volume working though but that is an ongoing issue but we just use the tv remote as can not be bothered with finding the code.
Good luck with yours.

---------- Post added at 08:04 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

Nedkelly
They used some electrical joint blocks and insulation tape, wife said there was some discussion about starting the phone cable with a new roll but that was dismissed as a lot of bother so hence the joint..It's a good job that cable does not involve electricity or there could be some engineers in court!
I work in construction and we have to bury BT ducts at 450mm so whats different with cable?

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

http://my pictures

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

Sorry need help to add the photos

joglynne
21-06-2007, 09:33
Original post by medon >>Sorry need help to add the photos

Choose the advanced button to make your post. Type in what you want to say then pan down in to Additional Options and press Manage Attachments. A pop up screen will give a browse option to locate your pictures on your PC. Follow the instructions then press upload. If you preview your post you should see that your picture has been added as a thumbnail.

Jo:)

the-cable-guy
09-07-2007, 01:22
that aint on

medon
09-07-2007, 21:01
that aint on
No it's not but they did come back ...another gang and it's still surface but in conduit-Spect best going to get!

Graham M
09-07-2007, 22:24
Nope, you shouldn't just accept that, it's still not good enough!

NTLVictim
09-07-2007, 22:25
We want the cable innnn....A Shrubbery!

the-cable-guy
10-07-2007, 22:15
lmao