PDA

View Full Version : Got to be the stupidest scammer I ever saw

Central
18-06-2007, 13:28
I was selling a phone on eBay for £100 with £5 p&p. I did the usual no one under 1 rating could bid or no one with credit card info could bid and left it to it.

3 days left and it sells to a lady in London with a 100% feedback and 213 feedback score. Yay for about 2 seconds when I realise its more then likely been took over by a scammer. Any this lady from London Emailed me saying this

Hello Mate,
I hope i can call you an Ebayer? Anyway, my names is Mary.
Am very much aware as you have stated in your listing that you will only
ship within the UK but I think am just stepping on your toes because
am not a Nigerian I just got married to a young God fearing Nigerian so
please don't be annoyed with this please.
Everyone is now afraid of been scammed even though, I have
been scammed once and it was because i just joined then but I reported the seller and he was suspended.
In a nut shell, this item is specially for my husband "Adeyinka" as a gift and
he is currently in Ibadan Nigeria for a project as it's our first wedding anniversary
on the 17th June 2007. Since we're not going to be together for this
occasion, so I thought I get him something and surprise him with this nice gift.
I will be paying you for this transaction to be concluded very fast via my
paypal account and you will receive your payment confirmation very
soon. I would have loved to send the item to Nigeria personally but I'm
not presently in UK. I'm a movie actress and I'm never sure were I can be in min. to min. but right now, I'm presently on abroad in Germany, Hamburg to be precise. I will add an extra 40 Pounds to cover for postage and packaging via 1st Class Royal Mail Signed For
to my husband at the address below:

Name: Adeyinka Banks
Address: Plot 18, Aransi Aakande Layout, Orita Challenge,
City: Ibadan
State: Oyo state
Zip code: 23402
Region: West Africa
His Phone Number: +2348022652791

I am relatively a busy lady as you can view.
Am sincerely hoping to have the best transaction with you.
I will be making the payment in the mean time.
Do get to send out the package upon receiving confirmation of payment from
paypal asap.
Please send the Package to the specify address above.
I will appreciate it a lot if you can kindly help me wrap the
package very well so that it will get to him as a mode of a gift and
I will be more than happy if you can personally add your anniversary
greeting card to the package stating "JUST FOR YOU"
Pls be honest with me and I want it to be Posted with Royal Mail Service because the anniversary is already at the door.
Cheers!!!

Instantly I knew it was a scammer. Ten minutes later I recieved a apparent email from Paypal saying a payment of £140 had been made and I am to ship goods. Thats £35 more then the asking price and the scammer used "buy it now". Now I dont use paypal and my listing said so. I then emailed the scammer back saying I dont use paypal and thought for a laugh I would ask for another means of payment.

While waiting for the reply eBay sent me this.

We have removed these listings and will credit all fees to your account because it has come to our attention that the items were bought without the account owner's authorisation. We are now restoring the account to its owner.

Please be assured that there is no negative mark on your account because of this. We only removed your listing so that we could credit all of your Insertion and Final Value Fees and prevent any further problems arising such as Unpaid Item disputes or negative feedback.

Note: It may take up to ten days for all the Insertion and Final Value Fee credits to be shown on your account status page.

You are free to list the item again using the Sell Your Item form or other listing tools. Unfortunately the listing won't appear as an Unsold item in My eBay and we can't relist it for you. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your understanding in this difficult matter. If you have any questions or require assistance, you can contact us from any eBay Help page.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

I then told the scammer I have confirmation the account was used fraudently and a hour Later I got this from him pretending to be eBay

Dear eBay Member,

We are pleased to inform you that eBay account : has been Re-activated and all the Buyers Transactions with you have been found Legitimate. We did not find any action prohibitive nor fraudulent in His/Her account.
You are secure to go ahead and Ship the Item immediately due to PayPal new policy. If you do not Ship, you will incure a negative feedback and the payment will be re-called. We also will not allow you to relist the Item concerned. Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate a membership and refuse to provide services to the affected member if we believe that his/her actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information the member provides to us.
Due to the reactivation of this account : Please be advised you are safe in dealing with the member.
Note: This Re-activation process may not be instant it may take 2-3 day before it is displayed on memeber's page and we will have to screen the member strictly so as to be sure of his sincereity but you can continue with the transaction as the screening is in progress
1. Stop payment with your bank if you paid by check.
2. Contact the Security Department of your credit card company to file a chargeback if you paid via credit card.
3. If you paid via Western Union or MoneyGram, contact the company directly (Western Union 800-325-6000 or MoneyGram 800-926-9400).
4. If you paid with PayPal, eligible transactions will receive coverage up to $200 at no additional cost. However, the majority of transactions may be covered up to $2,000. To file a claim with PayPal, login to your PayPal account and copy and paste the following link into your web browser: http://www.paypal.com Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the File a Claim link. PayPal claims must be filed within 45 days of the close of the listing. It may take at least 30 days to complete the investigation and resolve the dispute.

There are many tips on how to protect yourself with any Internet transaction in the eBay Security & Resolution Center located at: ebay-helpcentre@emailaccount.com

Our goal is to ensure that your eBay experience is safe so that you can buy confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay, but we're here to help you protect yourself in the event it does. If you have additional questions, please send us an email using the "Contact Us" link found on eBay Help pages. Do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and we thank you for being a part of the eBay community.

Regards.

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

Anyway a few days passed and I thought he had got the hint but then I get this

Hello Mate,
I just want to tell you that I have made the paypal payment for your ebay item that I bought. Kindly please get the item shipped today via 1st class royal mail signed for only. Here is my husbands address once again inwhich the item is to be posted to.
Name---Adeyinka Banks
Address---Plot 18, Aransi Akande Layout,
Orita Challenge,
City---Ibadan,
State---Oyo state.
Country----Nigeria.
Zipcode---23402
His phone number---+2348022652791

I then tell him to stop with the attempts of scamming me as I dont have a paypal account and he sent to much anyway. No reply until today and I got this

Hey,
Why the silence. I have already made your payment for my item via paypal and i am sure they must have contact you about the payment which has been deducted from my account and you have not responded neither has paypal inform me that the transaction is still on so i want you to know that paypal are working in conjuction with FBI so if you think of jerking me of my money you will have them to contend with so pls reply to my mail as soon as possible because once the money is approved by paypal it will not be returned into my account so i dont want to lose my money pls i rather add more to it for you than to loose the whole money so i am expecting your reply.

He is still harping on about Paypal even though I dont use them.

What a idiot

Graham M
18-06-2007, 14:35
LoL yep I had almost exactly the same thing when I sold my 6680! Idiots!

joglynne
18-06-2007, 14:36
Thought the scammers name rang a bell. Then realised you were taking him for a ride on the 419eater. Keep up the good work. :D

danielf
18-06-2007, 14:42
Thought the scammers name rang a bell. Then realised you were taking him for a ride on the 419seater. Keep up the good work. :D

We want pics!!!

NoKnowledge
18-06-2007, 14:43
What a idiot Funnily enough, they think people like us are idiots. Nice to hear you didn't fall for it.

There also a story I remember reading some time ago about a Apple Powerbook scam

joglynne
18-06-2007, 15:11
We want pics!!!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/06/16.gifBoy you were quick getting that quote. I realised what I had typed almost as soon as I posted and whipped in to edit. I must have had the 'ride' image in my head when I referred to 419(s)eater. :D Will have to get in the habit of previewing my posts in future.

pop80_uk
18-06-2007, 15:28
FBI !! Thats so funny well done mate, keep stringing the movie star along!

Ramrod
18-06-2007, 15:43
Funnily enough, they think people like us are idiots. Nice to hear you didn't fall for it.

There also a story I remember reading some time ago about a Apple Powerbook scamThe powerbook sting was really funny! :D

Central
18-06-2007, 17:50
The powerbook sting was really funny! :D

Yeah I enjoyed that to.

AntiSilence
18-06-2007, 19:42
They deserve all they get :)

Halcyon
18-06-2007, 21:59
I'm a movie actress and I'm never sure were I can be in min. to min.

LOL

What a Scam !