PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ upgrading hard drive yourself

moiraf100
12-06-2007, 21:31
I've been told that I can't receive the Sky Anytime for TV as I have the old type box. They want £159 to upgrade and the same to cancel my subscription which has 10 months to run. I didn't get the newer box as I got it for free for staying with Sky and not changing to Virgin. I shall be going to Virgin now next year. But that for the moment is in the future.
Can a hard drive be added to my current box, and will that make the Sky Anytime available as there will be more space?

arcamalpha2004
12-06-2007, 22:27
I've been told that I can't receive the Sky Anytime for TV as I have the old type box. They want £159 to upgrade and the same to cancel my subscription which has 10 months to run. I didn't get the newer box as I got it for free for staying with Sky and not changing to Virgin. I shall be going to Virgin now next year. But that for the moment is in the future.
Can a hard drive be added to my current box, and will that make the Sky Anytime available as there will be more space?

Presuming that you have the sky+ stb then a larger hard drive can be fitted, the one recommended is the maxtor, if you do a google you should find what you are looking for, but whether doing that will enable you to receive the sky
Anytime tv I can not say for certain.
How long ago did you get the stb? I have had mine around 2 years now and mine is anytime tv enabled.

moiraf100
12-06-2007, 22:32
April this year, was told that I need a PVR box, which I understand is the newer model.
Yes, sorry it is Sky+

arcamalpha2004
12-06-2007, 22:47
April this year, was told that I need a PVR box, which I understand is the newer model.
Yes, sorry it is Sky+

Right, it is a sky+ box that you were given april this year? I got mine 2 years ago and I am able to get the anytime tv.
I pressed the services tv button, this opened another menu with the anytime tv option, pressing that option asked the question " set up anytime tv ? " I just selected yes and it was done.
Mine is the thompson box, although I cannot see how that would make a difference.
You say they said you need a pvr, if you have a sky+ box you have a pvr?

moiraf100
13-06-2007, 09:26
I've got an amstrad, but when I get home I will do as you say. Sky never made that suggestion to me.
Thanks.:)

Alanmelon
13-06-2007, 09:45
This thread might be useful. It says you need the V3 box...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/92/33607216-skys-push-vod-service-sky-anytime.html

Also from http://anytime.sky.com/faqs/faqs_ontv.aspx

We're always working hard to bring our customers the latest technology to enhance their enjoyment and experience of Sky. Sky Anytime on TV is available now to customers with a Sky HD box and to most customers with the latest Sky+ box. It will be rolled out to the remaining customers with the latest Sky+ box over the coming weeks.

The most recent Sky+ boxes have a larger hard drive in them which means they can support the latest services that we have to offer, such as Sky Anytime on TV. You can check to see if you have a recent Sky+ box by doing the following:

Press the Services button on your remote control

Press 4 - System Setup

Then press 5 - System Details.

The first 4 digits in the Version Number field will tell you what type of Sky+ box you have and you'll then be able to determine if you can receive Sky Anytime on TV. Boxes with version codes 4F21, 9F22, 4E21 and 4E30 will be able to receive this service over the coming weeks. Unfortunately those with codes 4F20, 9F23, 9F21, 9F20 & 4E20 will not.

moiraf100
13-06-2007, 10:21
My code is 4F2001, so I won't be able to get it then.

handyman
13-06-2007, 10:41
I found a good chap on ebay that's going to do me a pvr2 box (not the anytime one) with a new 250 hd and a new quad lnb for £129.50 inc postage.

He does pvr3 stb's with larger hd also.

Pm me for his email addy.

zing_deleted
13-06-2007, 10:44
I got a free box too dont want anytime but I will upgrade the hdd myself. I had a box before and changing the hdd is easy. I managed with brute force and pliers but a torx screwdriver set helps lol

GeoffW
18-07-2007, 19:23
I turned off Anytime as there wasn't anything on it I was interested in and I thought it was making the box noisy as it was writing these programs to disk.

Turning it off didn't fix the noise problem, but I haven't missed not having Anytime.

slug
19-07-2007, 01:30
This will help.
http://www.morlocks.co.uk/sky.htm