PDA

View Full Version : Magpie

greencreeper
12-06-2007, 00:15
Found a young one (fledgling) on the lawn at my parent's yesterday. Just laid out there, barely alive. Shivering occasionally. My dad breeds birds (canaries mostly), so we worked fast to get food into it. Perked up pretty well - was standing and making a fair racket when being fed. Sadly, it didn't make it - was found dead this morning :( We think it might have been slug pellets. Even more sadly, the cat got his/her brothers and sisters. So the whole nest has gone. It kind of puts things in perspective. Life - fragility thereof.

on in an hour!
12-06-2007, 02:03
Found a young one (fledgling) on the lawn at my parent's yesterday. Just laid out there, barely alive. Shivering occasionally. My dad breeds birds (canaries mostly), so we worked fast to get food into it. Perked up pretty well - was standing and making a fair racket when being fed. Sadly, it didn't make it - was found dead this morning :( We think it might have been slug pellets. Even more sadly, the cat got his/her brothers and sisters. So the whole nest has gone. It kind of puts things in perspective. Life - fragility thereof.
sad to say but thats the food chain for you :(

superbiatch
12-06-2007, 09:12
They aren't the cleanest of birds and carry diseases but its still not nice to see.

I saw three magpies biting at another one a few days back - it was severely injured and they were just chasing it around to kill - was horrible :erm:

Acathla
12-06-2007, 09:33
Have been woken up the past 5 mornings at 5am by two magpies bickering at each other. No reason for it except probably just to wake me up :(

This morning was the first morning I actually managed to get some sleep past 5am so I am very happy and hope they never come back.

What made it worse is I saw one of the magpies sitting on my shed room next to the neighbours cat - what a sorry excuse for a cat :( :(

greencreeper
12-06-2007, 10:59
So that's a "NO" vote for magpies then :D

The domestic cat is not part of the food chain, and imbalances the natural order of things. UK birds have enough problems and predators without the domestic cat randomly killing for fun - they never eat what they kill because they're full of Whiskers meaty chunks.

Taf
12-06-2007, 11:21
We have a blind cat around here now... several people saw a few magpies attacking it.. and they went straight for the eyes...

sssshhhh
12-06-2007, 13:09
Two of my little kitties decided to work in tandem last week, and left the entire contents of a nest in my front room. Both sat there proudly in front of it. 4 chicks dead. They didn't even eat part of them, just brought them in as presents. They're also fond of bringing in may bugs, rats and slow worms. It's sad to see, but even domesticated animals have the wild killer instinct in them unforunately.

Acathla
12-06-2007, 13:18
Two of my little kitties decided to work in tandem last week, and left the entire contents of a nest in my front room. Both sat there proudly in front of it. 4 chicks dead. They didn't even eat part of them, just brought them in as presents. They're also fond of bringing in may bugs, rats and slow worms. It's sad to see, but even domesticated animals have the wild killer instinct in them unforunately.

I may be asking to borrow your cats if my magpies come back :)

Maggy
12-06-2007, 13:45
Sorry but Magpies are as bad for the smaller songbirds as cats because they raid the nests and eat the eggs of smaller birds. :(

Magpies and Songbirds (http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/m/magpie/effect_on_songbirds.asp)

I also hate the way the young Magpies play chicken in the road when scavenging roadkill.:mad:

Xaccers
12-06-2007, 14:06

One of my sister's cats brings back empty beer cans.
They're trying to train him to bring back full ones, or at least not drink them on the way :D

sssshhhh
12-06-2007, 14:22
I may be asking to borrow your cats if my magpies come back :)

You're welcome to, they're not even mine lol. They adopted me when I moved into my house. The previous owner has taken them to their new home several times but they kept finding their way back. I feel like I am a visitor in their house. i must admit though after 6 months I love them as if they're my own now, wouldn't be without them. I'll just have to make sure I don't move as they won't come with me :( cats are so fickle.

Acathla
12-06-2007, 14:24
when you sell your house, you will have to add them to your 'fixtures and fittings'

danielf
12-06-2007, 14:25
You're welcome to, they're not even mine lol. They adopted me when I moved into my house. The previous owner has taken them to their new home several times but they kept finding their way back. I feel like I am a visitor in their house. i must admit though after 6 months I love them as if they're my own now, wouldn't be without them. I'll just have to make sure I don't move as they won't come with me :( cats are so fickle.

I can think of a few ways to stop them coming back :)

Tightscot
12-06-2007, 14:38
personally i shoot them. They are a menace to all small songbirds... same goes for Jays, although Magpies are way more prevalent.

A larson trap is ideal to catch them, they tend to be quite wary, even more so if you are carrying a gun...

superbiatch
12-06-2007, 14:51

Can i borrow them for my mouse infestation? :erm: