PDA

View Full Version : Burger Presses

Mike
09-06-2007, 18:50
Hi all

BBQ season is here !

I have spent hours trying to find a burger press which will make large burgers +5 inches across +1 thick. I have found loads which are smaller around 4 inches but nothing bigger.

How anyone seen anything which I could use?

Many thanks

Mike

greencreeper
09-06-2007, 21:46
I may be missing something here but I don't see what's wrong with a couple of sheets of grease-proof and a plate :erm: Roll burger mixture into suitably large ball and squash. Thick burgers take longer to cook, which on a BBQ is not the best of ideas...

Ramrod
09-06-2007, 22:01
......or just buy burgers? :)

cybernetic_tiger
09-06-2007, 22:14

That would be far too easy ;)

homealone
09-06-2007, 22:21
I may be missing something here but I don't see what's wrong with a couple of sheets of grease-proof and a plate :erm: Roll burger mixture into suitably large ball and squash. Thick burgers take longer to cook, which on a BBQ is not the best of ideas...

Good point about the cooking time, on a bbq it would be difficult to do a 1" thick burger so it was cooked in the middle, while not resembling the charcoal on the outside ;)

- 'rare' steak is generally ok to eat, but any kind of minced meat product should never be eaten unless it is fully cooked, well done, piping hot, or whatever you like to call it :)

danielf
09-06-2007, 22:26

Perhaps he wants to make sirloin burgers (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_20813,00.html)? :drool:

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

- 'rare' steak is generally ok to eat, but any kind of minced meat product should never be eaten unless it is fully cooked, well done, piping hot, or whatever you like to call it :)

Unless you do the mincing yourself, presumably?

homealone
09-06-2007, 22:37
Unless you do the mincing yourself, presumably?

If you are absolutely sure that your hands and the equipment you use are clean, and the minced/chopped meat isn't allowed to stand around & get warm, before being cooked, then you are correct ;)

danielf
09-06-2007, 22:49
If you are absolutely sure that your hands and the equipment you use are clean, and the minced/chopped meat isn't allowed to stand around & get warm, before being cooked, then you are correct ;)

Thank god for that :) Bloody meat rules imo. It's difficult to get in the UK though. Most chefs insist on murdering a steak even when it's ordered 'rare'.

homealone
09-06-2007, 23:09
Thank god for that :) Bloody meat rules imo. It's difficult to get in the UK though. Most chefs insist on murdering a steak even when it's ordered 'rare'.

well there is bloody & there is blue - but why mince such fine stuff?

- i.e. that is back at the OP - just do steak, forget burgers :angel:

multiskilled
09-06-2007, 23:50
well there is bloody & there is blue - but why mince such fine stuff?

- i.e. that is back at the OP - just do steak, forget burgers :angel:

Waiter: "How do you like your steak?"
customer: "Just pull the horns out and wipe it's a**e." :D :D

Pedro1
10-06-2007, 04:41
Make big whopping burgers with the mix and start cooking them in the house for a bit first. When some are done take them outside to the bbq and do them for the last wee bit. That way you get fat burgers and they are cooked too.

Also you don't have people standing around for 30 min waiting on there burger lol.

greencreeper
10-06-2007, 08:34
Or, as my parents do, cremate on BBQ first, then take inside to cook on the grill :D

Pedro1
10-06-2007, 09:40
LOL sod going to your parents bbq lol lol...

greencreeper
10-06-2007, 09:52
:D

My dad's usually there like Errol Flynn with a spatula, flames about 2 feet high, struggling to turn the burgers and sausage. Mum waits for the burnt offerings, ready to transfer them to the grill. Last time we had a BBQ, the frozen pork and onion sausage I brought with me, though black on the outside, where still frozen in the middle :rofl: Had to be wrapped in tin foil and put in the oven.

It's a ritual more than anything. The hunter-gather providing for family.

Pedro1
10-06-2007, 10:04
LOL LOL LOL come to think of it i think i would like to come. I think it would be a great laugh with some chilled beer and dodgy burgers.

Mon the BBQ'S.

Xaccers
10-06-2007, 11:47
Costco do a box of delicious burgers, 48 for £8.50, although if you're using a proper bbq, then their aberdeen steak burgers (20 for £10) are great.
Sprinkle some aromat on them as they cook.

danielf
10-06-2007, 12:17
I'll be putting a Thai style marinated red snapper on the BBQ tonight :drool:

Pedro1
10-06-2007, 12:36
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

danielf
10-06-2007, 22:41
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Not quite unfortunately. Something was wrong with the fish. Normally it turns white when cooked, and the meat becomes quite 'flaky'. Not this time. A lot of the meat was dark grey, and you needed a knife (rather than chopsticks, which we normally use with this dish) to cut through it. Weird. Never seen anything like it. We were quite wary of it, so we binned it, and had a look in the fridge for something else.

So, tonight's meal was: Rice, stir fried vegetables in soy sauce, prawn crackers, and Spanish ham and Chorizo (Iberico mind you), with a nice Australian white.

I still can't figure out what was wrong with the fish. It wasn't off. It was just wrong... :shrug:

joglynne
10-06-2007, 23:43
danielf, it sounds like the fish had been re-frozen at some point after it had been allowed to at least partially thaw. Not to be recommended as it can be harbouring bacteria which is could be a health risk. When this happens it can also change the texture and colour of the fish/meat. Our local supermarket has been fined for allowing frozen foods to be kept under unrefrigerated conditions.

homealone
11-06-2007, 00:16
danielf, it sounds like the fish had been re-frozen at some point after it had been allowed to at least partially thaw. Not to be recommended as it can be harbouring bacteria which is could be a health risk. When this happens it can also change the texture and colour of the fish/meat. Our local supermarket has been fined for allowing frozen foods to be kept under unrefrigerated conditions.

fish will usually become inedible, before it becomes dangerous to eat.

there are some exceptions, ciguatera, scombroid poisoning and pufferfish toxin, for example, aren't always detectable when you eat the fish, however these shouldn't apply to red snapper ...

- but, usually, the smell of a spoiled fish is enough to put you off eating it?

In dan's case, it sounded like the texture & colour was the problem, which I can't think of any reason for, other than an unexplained reaction with the marinade - lots of salt and acid can make fish tough, for example???

danielf
11-06-2007, 00:28

Thanks for that. I did indeed buy the snapper frozen (from a local 'continental store'). I've never had any trouble with items bought from this shop before. I get my prawns from them as well and my wife has a 'hit and miss' allergy for prawns. No problems so far with prawns from this shop.

But, as I said, this snapper just yelled out: wrong, so I'm glad we didn't eat it. We've got another one which was bought there sitting in the freezer. Hmmm, what shall we do...

The fish definitely wasn't off. I was thinking the fish itself may have been ill?

No salt in the marinade. Lemon juice yes.[/QUOTE]

homealone
11-06-2007, 00:30
Thanks for that. I did indeed buy the snapper frozen (from a local 'continental store'). I've never had any trouble with items bought from this shop before. I get my prawns from them as well and my wife has a 'hit and miss' allergy for prawns. No problems so far with prawns from this shop.

But, as I said, this snapper just yelled out: wrong, so I'm glad we didn't eat it. We've got another one which was bought there sitting in the freezer. Hmmm, what shall we do...

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

The fish definitely wasn't off. I was thinking the fish itself may have been ill?

I suppose all you can do is thaw the other one out & see what it is like - your instincts in these matters seem to be good :cool:

danielf
11-06-2007, 00:35
I suppose all you can do is thaw the other one out & see what it is like - your instincts in these matters seem to be good :cool:

I suppose so. Best have an easy backup dish as well :)

Maggy
11-06-2007, 00:38
I hate BBQed food..I'd have thick burgers fried or grilled never on a BBQ.If I wanna eat charcoal I'll eat the brickettes instead.

joglynne
11-06-2007, 00:45
Charcoal brickettes https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/06/24.gif

Gas BBQ https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/06/14.gifespecialy as my husband sees this as a man thing and I am not allowed to help :D

homealone
11-06-2007, 00:49
I hate BBQed food..I'd have thick burgers fried or grilled never on a BBQ.If I wanna eat charcoal I'll eat the brickettes instead.

I'm surprised - one of my enduring memories of Africa was a stupendous barbecue where they used half an 200 litre oil drum with a grille on, there may even have been two on the go - but anyway, barbecued corn on the cob and steak is much better than sweetcorn & rice salad and burgers ;) - in my opinion, of course :)

Mike
11-06-2007, 10:13
Hi all

BBQ season is here !

I have spent hours trying to find a burger press which will make large burgers +5 inches across +1 thick. I have found loads which are smaller around 4 inches but nothing bigger.

Has anyone seen anything which I could use?

Many thanks

Mike

Whow............great number of replies but I take it the answer is no !:)

handyman
11-06-2007, 11:10
http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Friends-60522-Silicone-capacity/dp/B000JV7UGC

Mike
11-06-2007, 12:26
http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Friends-60522-Silicone-capacity/dp/B000JV7UGC

Good find but can only be shipped to US :td:

Thanks

Mike

Horace
11-06-2007, 13:07
We had a great BBQ on Saturday, mostly from Tesco's range which appear to be on special offer. Lots of BBQ food for £2 a go. Their kebabs went down a storm.

handyman
11-06-2007, 14:01
What about this one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-TUPPERWARE-BURGER-MAKER-PRESS-FREEZER-SET_W0QQitemZ170121095012QQihZ007QQcategoryZ11657Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/summer/barbecues!10481_10501

Xaccers
11-06-2007, 14:52
We had a great BBQ on Saturday, mostly from Tesco's range which appear to be on special offer. Lots of BBQ food for £2 a go. Their kebabs went down a storm.

We did the same, their beef kebabs are yummy, so are their prawn ones.
Last year their fish ones were delicious.
Their burgers last year were very crumbly, falling through into the coals, and their chicken on the bone pieces weren't up to much.

We use a skottel as it's so much better than bbq's.
Dead easy to clean, makes fantastic pancakes, does cheap burgers really well as they've got nothing to fall through (unless you use the grate).
Best part is that it compacts down into a handy carry bag.
Was under £100 too!

http://www.riverswayleisure.com/images/8250.jpg

joglynne
11-06-2007, 15:22
Hi all

BBQ season is here !

How anyone seen anything which I could use?

Many thanks

Mike

As no one has come up with the perfect Buger Press to make them the right size you could always try this way.

Make up the mixture for your burgers then press it firmly on to Teflon cooking sheets to the thickness you want(or use rolling pin over another Teflon sheet). Chill slightly then cut into 5" squares which you can round with your hands.
Won't be perfect, but rustic is a good look for BBQ food.:)

Maggy
11-06-2007, 20:57
I'm surprised - one of my enduring memories of Africa was a stupendous barbecue where they used half an 200 litre oil drum with a grille on, there may even have been two on the go - but anyway, barbecued corn on the cob and steak is much better than sweetcorn & rice salad and burgers ;) - in my opinion, of course :)

I'm talking of my experience of the Grand Great British BBQ.;)

homealone
11-06-2007, 21:17
I'm talking of my experience of the Grand Great British BBQ.;)

aaah, I see - mind you, in Kenya 1963 the steak was cheap enough to buy for the dog, as well, not so in the UK 2007 ;)

Xaccers
12-06-2007, 10:28
BBQ's in Saudi were normally on the beach, which really put the sand into sandwich!
Dad likes his meat carbonised, so that was how he did everyones.
Put me off beef for years.

Maggy
12-06-2007, 13:32
BBQ's in Saudi were normally on the beach, which really put the sand into sandwich!
Dad likes his meat carbonised, so that was how he did everyones.
Put me off beef for years.

Shudder!! I know what you are saying...I like my beef to drip and ooze blood.:batty:

alferret
12-06-2007, 16:07

Hmmmmmmmm Foooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:

I do like the Tesco babs :tu:

Mal
12-06-2007, 16:36
Shudder!! I know what you are saying...I like my beef to drip and ooze blood.:batty::sick: Why bother with cooking it then? Just eat it straight out of the wrapping :)

I like beef cremated ;) I don't want to be reminded of what I am eating... :)

danielf
12-06-2007, 17:36
:sick: Why bother with cooking it then? Just eat it straight out of the wrapping :)

Warm is nice. Mind you a steak tartare sandwich goes down very well uncooked :drool:

Hugh
12-06-2007, 17:46
Warm is nice. Mind you a steak tartare sandwich goes down very well uncooked :drool:

I bet there are cattle around your area with bite marks on their *rses..:D

danielf
12-06-2007, 17:49
I bet there are cattle around your area with bite marks on their *rses..:D

:D Seriously, steak tartare is lovely. I wouldn't make it myself, but I used to buy it from the butcher all the time when living on the continent. Never had any ill effects from it.

Hugh
12-06-2007, 17:54
:D Seriously, steak tartare is lovely. I wouldn't make it myself, but I used to buy it from the butcher all the time when living on the continent. Never had any ill effects from it.
I know - I used to work in Belgium and France, and would eat it (occasionally) with a raw egg on top and black pepper; I prefer my meat medium-rare, but as the man said, try anything except morris-dancing and incest.:)

danielf
12-06-2007, 17:58
I know - I used to work in Belgium and France, and would eat it (occasionally) with a raw egg on top and black pepper; I prefer my meat medium-rare, but as the man said, try anything except morris-dancing and incest.:)

In Holland it is usually eaten on sandwiches/baguette. Occasionally with raw onions, but without the egg (normally). It is also mixed with a sauce containing all kinds of spices. Any self-respecting sandwich shop will serve it.

joglynne
12-06-2007, 19:31
:D Seriously, steak tartare is lovely. I wouldn't make it myself, but I used to buy it from the butcher all the time when living on the continent. Never had any ill effects from it.I know - I used to work in Belgium and France, and would eat it (occasionally) with a raw egg on top and black pepper; I prefer my meat medium-rare, but as the man said, try anything except morris-dancing and incest.:)In Holland it is usually eaten on sandwiches/baguette. Occasionally with raw onions, but without the egg (normally). It is also mixed with a sauce containing all kinds of spices. Any self-respecting sandwich shop will serve it.

You have re-awakened a memory that I'd wished to stay dormant. The first time I visited Holland on business I had to attend a dinner. Steak Tartare and Picked Herring were both on the menu and I had to clear my plate on both courses as I didn’t want to cause offence.

YUK, YUK, YUK.

danielf
12-06-2007, 19:37
You have re-awakened a memory that I'd wished to stay dormant. The first time I visited Holland on business I had to attend a dinner. Steak Tartare and Picked Herring were both on the menu and I had to clear my plate on both courses as I didn’t want to cause offence.

YUK, YUK, YUK.

This probably was raw, salted herring rather than pickled herring.

:bigcry: I want raw herring and steak tartare!!! :bigcry:

Maggy
12-06-2007, 19:41
This probably was raw, salted herring rather than pickled herring.

:bigcry: I want raw herring and steak tartare!!! :bigcry:

Perhaps Homey or Nugget can tell us where to get a safe source of both in this country...Mind I love soused herrings myself...

joglynne
12-06-2007, 19:52
Yes it was soused herring. It all comes flooding back.
YUK, YUK, YUK, and double YUK.

Theodoric
12-06-2007, 20:03
There's only one real man's way to light a barbecue (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/Ambrosia_Times/September_95/2.5HowTo.html). Anything else is for wimps.

homealone
12-06-2007, 20:27
Perhaps Homey or Nugget can tell us where to get a safe source of both in this country...Mind I love soused herrings myself...

In my opinion the 'safest' source of things like this are best done yourself, provided you trust the butcher/fishmonger to supply decent raw material.

It is no co-incidence that it is traditional for the waiter to chop the steak at the table, when having steak tartare, as it ensures the meat hasn't been lying around after being chopped, when it is most susceptible to bacterial growth.

Soused/marinated herrings are slightly less 'dangerous' as the vinegar tends to prevent many nasty bacteria from growing. However it must be mentioned that a worm called Anisakis may be caught from eating raw fish, which can be quite serious - usual advice is to freeze the fish for a couple of days, which kills the worms, but means the fish is still 'raw'.

danielf
12-06-2007, 20:52
Soused/marinated herrings are slightly less 'dangerous' as the vinegar tends to prevent many nasty bacteria from growing. However it must be mentioned that a worm called Anisakis may be caught from eating raw fish, which can be quite serious - usual advice is to freeze the fish for a couple of days, which kills the worms, but means the fish is still 'raw'.

This is exactly what the regulations stipulate.

To protect against threadworms (nematodes), which are fish pests, Dutch regulations mandate freezing to at least minus 45°C before salting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soused_herring