PDA

View Full Version : Job advice, Audio production

dreko07
07-06-2007, 16:06
Hello :)

Ive been working at a Business school for the last 5 or so years, basically filming, editing, mastering learning material and promotional/marketing videos, podcasts and such.and worked at the same company as Network support 4 years before that

I didnt go to University but I have a HNC in computer science for what thats worth lol.

What do you think my chances are of getting a job where I can do what I really love producing music?

Are all these sort of jobs snapped up by music or media graduates.

I love mixing and producing songs to give my own touch to them. I write and produce songs in my spare time, mostly Drum n Bass, Breakbeat and Reggae.

Ive had a few good comments from people and have been in the top 5 Unsigned bands on soundclick.com.

Id really like to work making BG music for computer games or something.

does anyone know what this job market is like and will they look at someone without a degree in a relevant subject.:confused:

Thanks...

Dr Eko

Halcyon
07-06-2007, 16:19
In this world of work, a lot of it comes down to experience and that is what prospective employers will be looking at.
Just because someone has a degree it doesnt mean they know as much as someone who has been doing it for such a long time.

The fact that you have a HNC shows you are able to study and together with the experience you have, I think you have good chances.

It is indeed a hard business to get into as there are people with so much talent and skills out there that it can be hard to break into it.

If I was you I would send off your C.V. to these companies and see what they say.
Look at radio stations too and media companies that often want background music producing for applications, show reels, commercials, etc.

You might be best signing up with some agencies or getting your name and website into the music circle by advertising yourself.....You could even advertise in magazines such as Future Music.

hth.

halcyon.

BTW, what music do you produce and mix ?

dreko07
07-06-2007, 16:32
In this world of work, a lot of it comes down to experience and that is what prospective employers will be looking at.
Just because someone has a degree it doesnt mean they know as much as someone who has been doing it for such a long time.

The fact that you have a HNC shows you are able to study and together with the experience you have, I think you have good chances.

It is indeed a hard business to get into as there are people with so much talent and skills out there that it can be hard to break into it.

If I was you I would send off your C.V. to these companies and see what they say.
Look at radio stations too and media companies that often want background music producing for applications, show reels, commercials, etc.

You might be best signing up with some agencies or getting your name and website into the music circle by advertising yourself.....You could even advertise in magazines such as Future Music.

hth.

halcyon.

BTW, what music do you produce and mix ?

I only have my Drum n bass songs online at the moment. you might find it pretty heavy and fast if your not into drum n bass, as I produced them for playing in my sets, mostly at private raves and housepartys with my mates.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5326331&q=hi&ref=1

I had a deal with AWAL record label a couple of years ago that I still recieve the odd cheque for(sold through itunes) but I didnt have the time to really devote myself to it. but Ive just spent almost £2000 on hardware and software so Im sort of taking it to the next level of production quality.

My current project with my new kit is a electronic Reggae album, mixing reggae with broken beats, not done yet though.

Halcyon
07-06-2007, 16:44
Sounds interesting.
It's crazy how much stuff costs. In comparison to you, I only have a mixer, keyboard, and PC software at the moment so not much of a studio LOL
Will get there one day :)

I'll check out your music.

dreko07
07-06-2007, 16:53
Sounds interesting.
It's crazy how much stuff costs. In comparison to you, I only have a mixer, keyboard, and PC software at the moment so not much of a studio LOL
Will get there one day :)

I'll check out your music.

cool.

You can make quite good stuff with those few bits, checkout Reason 3.0, best program for getting to grips with the concept of hardware synths and sequencers.

Halcyon
07-06-2007, 17:06
Yep, currently got Reason 2.0
Reason 3 is my next purchase though and eventually some good monitors.

I always start tracks and never get them finished so hopefully if I take some time off over the summer, I will get some work done.

dreko07
07-06-2007, 17:26
Yep, currently got Reason 2.0
Reason 3 is my next purchase though and eventually some good monitors.

I always start tracks and never get them finished so hopefully if I take some time off over the summer, I will get some work done.

I loved reason , still use it as a drum machine rewired through cubase.

PM me if you want to ahem "try" reason 3.0

multiskilled
07-06-2007, 22:43
I only have my Drum n bass songs online at the moment. you might find it pretty heavy and fast if your not into drum n bass, as I produced them for playing in my sets, mostly at private raves and housepartys with my mates.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5326331&q=hi&ref=1

I had a deal with AWAL record label a couple of years ago that I still recieve the odd cheque for(sold through itunes) but I didnt have the time to really devote myself to it. but Ive just spent almost £2000 on hardware and software so Im sort of taking it to the next level of production quality.

My current project with my new kit is a electronic Reggae album, mixing reggae with broken beats, not done yet though.

Have bookmarked your page as my son is into drum n bass, I like it as well but don't have his knowledge will let you know what he thinks.

dreko07
08-06-2007, 10:13
Have bookmarked your page as my son is into drum n bass, I like it as well but don't have his knowledge will let you know what he thinks.

nice one :cool::monkey:

multiskilled
08-06-2007, 23:31
Son came for a visit today only a short one mind you. Just had time to to let him listen to a few of your tracks he said "they were good" unfortunately he's not on internet so he can't have a proper listen till he visits again, hopefully for a bit longer.
I certainly like them, in fact listening as I type.

Best of luck with your intended career. You just have to keep banging on the door until someone opens it.

Russ
08-06-2007, 23:58
Easy. I'm a freelance radio producer at my local commercial station. Make sure you have a vast musical knowledge, don't be a smartarse and offer to do loads of work at your local station for free. Get yourself noticed that way.

dreko07
10-06-2007, 20:30
Easy. I'm a freelance radio producer at my local commercial station. Make sure you have a vast musical knowledge, don't be a smartarse and offer to do loads of work at your local station for free. Get yourself noticed that way.

I've thought about local radio, I'd like that, the only thing I'm slightly worried about is that if I have to "start at the bottom" as it were I don't know if I could afford to live on much less than I do at the moment.

Im in the mid 20's salray wise ATM, Is that wishfull thinking as a starting salary at local radio?:confused:

jkat
10-06-2007, 20:51
have u tried http://www.digitalmusician.net/index.php?id=135&L=0 lots of contacts on this site. russ is correct dreko07, keep on at em. good luck:)

dreko07
10-06-2007, 20:53
have u tried http://www.digitalmusician.net/index.php?id=135&L=0 lots of contacts on this site. russ is correct dreko07, keep on at em. good luck:)

Excellent site , nice one!

Halcyon
10-06-2007, 22:09
This place might be useful for selling your music as downloads too:
http://www.ajtunes.com/

Russ
10-06-2007, 23:59
I've thought about local radio, I'd like that, the only thing I'm slightly worried about is that if I have to "start at the bottom" as it were I don't know if I could afford to live on much less than I do at the moment.

Im in the mid 20's salray wise ATM, Is that wishfull thinking as a starting salary at local radio?:confused:

Depends. Get a good parent network company like Gcap and you could negotiate something like that. Get in to the beeb and you can write your own cheques.

dreko07
11-06-2007, 00:04
Get in to the beeb and you can write your own cheques.

still like that there then?

Id heard tales

Russ
11-06-2007, 00:15
There's no-one like the beeb for spending other people's money....