PDA

View Full Version : Washing Machine

Zee
05-06-2007, 22:38
Got a new washing machine today a water efficient, electricity efficient one with drying capabilities, which i thought was pretty neat and i didn't know this till i loaded the machine.

Anyway, what i wanted to know is, about temperatures?

What is a decent temperature to wash at without ruining clothes like those that say 30c on the label, but being able to clean pure white things properly like socks that would need let’s say 50-60c to clean nicely? I've tried washing at 40c, but the socks never seem to clean completely well as i would have hoped and this washing machine doesn't have 50c.

It has 30c, 40c, 60c, 75c & 95c

multiskilled
05-06-2007, 22:49
If the clothes say 30c you would be advised to wash them at that temp.Wash whites separately. Cotton items you can wash at 95c unless not colour fast 60c should be hot enough though, it's a case of try it and see?

altis
05-06-2007, 22:52
IIRC, Iadom's advice is to use the hottest wash that the labels allow. That, and just a little soap, will help keep the machine clean.

Zee
05-06-2007, 22:56
Some clothes have 20c, some 30c, 40c, 50c etc...

thing is i cant put 6 or 7 washes on per week to go with every label and usually there isn't enough clothes for dark and whites to be put seperatly.

superbiatch
05-06-2007, 23:01
Generally once you've washed new colours a few times seperately or with other similar coloured clothes you're safe tho throw them all in together. Most colours i'd only stick in on 40 (with the odd exception of some on 30). But whites, so long as its just towels and underwear - you'll be fine with 50.

You can also put some vanish or something similar in with your washing powder for any stubborn stains ;)

Zee
05-06-2007, 23:05
Yeah, i use Vanish. Usually i mix clothes together, colours and whites together at 40c, but its those damn socks, i run around the street outside my house with my mates and in the parks with just my socks sometimes and they get real dirty.. haha

I hate using water, especially in London, where we get some of the least amounts of rain in Europe, its silly to use so much water.

danielf
05-06-2007, 23:10
i run around the street outside my house with my mates and in the parks with just my socks sometimes and they get real dirty.. haha

Careful now. You might catch a cold. Or get arrested even... ;)

zing_deleted
05-06-2007, 23:12
simple solution dont wear white socks

Zee
05-06-2007, 23:16
I like white socks :( i hate wearing any other socks

zing_deleted
05-06-2007, 23:17
oh dear ;) what powder do you use? have you troed oxy?

handyman
05-06-2007, 23:18
Almost everything can go through on a 40 Degree non-colour fast cotton wash. I have to wash my chefs whites at 60 to get the smell out though.

Also put a double splitter on the cold so that it only fills with cold water. That way the washer will heat the water from cold which allows the powder to work at it's best. It is also very economical as the washer will only heat what it uses.

Zee
05-06-2007, 23:29
I use Bold with fabric softener & Vanish ... with Calgon so the hard water turns soft :P

EDIT:

ok its called Bold 2 in 1

http://www.bold2in1.co.uk/en_UK/index.html

multiskilled
05-06-2007, 23:30
Almost everything can go through on a 40 Degree non-colour fast cotton wash. I have to wash my chefs whites at 60 to get the smell out though.

Also put a double splitter on the cold so that it only fills with cold water. That way the washer will heat the water from cold which allows the powder to work at it's best. It is also very economical as the washer will only heat what it uses.

Most modern washing machines are cold fill only now, as most people wash at 40c now.

Zee
05-06-2007, 23:31
Most modern washing machines are cold fill only now, as most people wash at 40c now.

I remember my mum in the 80s and early 90s used to wash our bed sheets and socks at 95c with bleach lol

they always used to come out so clean

multiskilled
06-06-2007, 00:17
I remember my mum in the 80s and early 90s used to wash our bed sheets and socks at 95c with bleach lol

they always used to come out so clean

That was when energy was relatively cheap with our own North sea oil and gas supplies.

Nidge
06-06-2007, 22:31
Got a new washing machine today a water efficient, electricity efficient one with drying capabilities, which i thought was pretty neat and i didn't know this till i loaded the machine.

Anyway, what i wanted to know is, about temperatures?

What is a decent temperature to wash at without ruining clothes like those that say 30c on the label, but being able to clean pure white things properly like socks that would need let’s say 50-60c to clean nicely? I've tried washing at 40c, but the socks never seem to clean completely well as i would have hoped and this washing machine doesn't have 50c.

It has 30c, 40c, 60c, 75c & 95c

Always wash on the lowest temprature possible, it's a well known fact clothes get cleaner when you wash on a lower temprature.

alferret
06-06-2007, 22:42
Whats a washing machine?
I leave my dirty clothes in the basket and they turn up neatly folded back in the drawers\robes where they came from :confused:

Pia
09-06-2007, 14:55
I wash all my darks on a 40 wash, unless it's something really delicate then i'll either handwash or do it on a 30 slow cycle.

My whites i do on a 60, and if i'm doing a load of towels or bedding they'll sometimes go on a 95 wash.

I use this stuff if the whites are starting to look a bit dull http://www.acdoco.co.uk/products/proddetail.asp?productid=12&mysection=glocare&prodcatid=2