PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Trained Installers

bioboy
04-06-2007, 09:35
I had Digital TV installed on Friday morning and I'm wondering what training VM installers get. When my installation was finished by the 2 installers that did the job I noticed that I no longer had an analogue service through my aerial. This meant that if cable TV was down I didn't have any backup for channels 1-5 and I couldn't use teletext.

I asked the installers why and they said there was nowhere to plug my aerial into the STB as it doesn't support analogue transmissions or teletext. I said that was daft, but they seemed disinterested and left.

I then noticed I no longer had sound from my video player and called the installer back to ask why. He said he thought one of my scart sockets in the back of the TV was faulty. He suggested I swap the scart leads round if I wanted to watch a video. I said this had happened once before, but by switching the way the leads were arranged everything would work. He said he didn't know what to do and left.

I then had a look at how he'd set up the box and found that there were aerial sockets in the back of the STB that worked fine, so at least I could sort that out easily. I then found he'd connected my DVD player to the "VCR" scart position on the STB and had connected my VCR direct to the TV. Once I swapped these arround everything worked fine, but it did make me wonder what training these guys receive when I seemed to be more competenet than the installer.

Anyhow, that wasn't the end of the story. I was told all my channels would be received within 2 hours. 6 hours later I had only 8 channels and no On-Demand TV. I had a message saying my smart card was invalid (error 1008), so I phoned 151. The guy I spoke to said he would send another hit and everything should be sorted. He seemed unconcerned about the invalid smart card, which I found surprising.

The next day I was still in the same position, so I phoned again. The woman I spoke to asked for the serial numbers on the STB and Smart Card, which seemed to make sense since when I looked at the tech stuff in settings it says my card has never been paired. She said she'd pass it on to level 2, so they could fix it. She took my home and mobile numbers and said they'd phone me. 2 days later I've heard nothing and nothing has changed.

It seems to me this could easily be fixed, but people are poorly trained or equipped.

Bill

v0id
04-06-2007, 11:19
I've only had cable installed twice (analogue and then digital) and on both occasions, the installer insisted on demonstrating the features, and showing you all your channels... all within an hour or less from start to finish. I even had 2 remotes, and one of those keyboard things thrown in for nowt with the digital install

My friends and parents have had similar pleasant installs, so maybe it's an area thing :/