PDA

View Full Version : Sky HD questions

Tezcatlipoca
31-05-2007, 23:56
Now the unfair (IMO) £10 Sky+ subscription has been scrapped for Sky TV subscribers, I've finally started seriously thinking about getting Sky+.

But, I'm now more tempted by SkyHD, as although...

Sky+ via Sky - £99

SkyHD via Sky - £299

... some searching on eBay found Sky HD boxes (brand new, sealed, 3rd gen. Thomson DSI8215 apparently) for around £170-£180, from a couple of different dealers with very very good feedback (Dealing Digital & Mildenhall Satellite) plus some private sellers.

So my thinking is... pay a bit more, & get a Sky HD box off eBay, instead of a Sky+ box.

Not overly fussed about the Sky HD channels at the moment, so dunno if I'd bother paying the £10 HD sub.

But, having a bigger HDD than a Sky+ box, and having HDMI output, and having BBC HD (which doesn't need the HD sub.) would I think make it still worth paying that extra £70 or so on top of the price of a Sky+ box, even without paying for SkyOne HD etc.

So....

Anyone with SkyHD think it's worth getting one, even if I don't subscribe to the SkyHD channels?

Does the box upscale the SD channels? Does it do a good job?

What's it like? Box, EPG, PQ, overall impression, etc.?

Ta :)

Derek
01-06-2007, 14:27
I'd say it's worthwhile getting one. The PQ on normal channels is great and the large HDD is a bonus.

BBC HD is OK, a lot of repeats so far but some decent stuff. The Sky HD channels aren't great. I'm thinking of dropping the £10 sub now 24 and Lost have finished and the footy season is over, there simply isn't enough choice to justify it.

The only problem I've found is occasionally the box fan will stick on high speed and needs the power removed to shut it down.

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2007, 14:50
I have Sky HD and i bought my box from Ebay from Dealing Digital for 185 greenbacks after having owned Sky+ for some time.

My advice, go for it, the PQ is STUNNING on HD and i still catch myself admiring the PQ on some programs.

The only drawback about HD for you could be if your dont plan on getting Sports or Movies. At the moment there isnt all that much to keep you interested as all the big hitters on Sky One HD are between seasons at the moment however Discovery HD is well worthy it has to be said.

But even then, just because you have Sky HD dosent mean you have to pay the 10 quid HD charge you could just use it as a SD box without the HD subscription and switch on HD when it suits you better.

I've had it for a few months now and find myself watching HD channels more than anything else but then i had Sky Sports up until the end of the season there and am now enjoying loads of Movies on Sky HD during the pre-season.

Honestly, i have NO regrets.

Does the box upscale the SD channels? Does it do a good job?

What's it like? Box, EPG, PQ, overall impression, etc.?

Yes it upscales SD, and it does do a good job.

The box is good, only had to reset it twice i think in the time i've had it, the EPG is its always been, excellent. The PQ and Impression i've given above.

Tezcatlipoca
01-06-2007, 23:05
Cheers, guys :)

Just bought one :disturbd:

£169.99 + £14.99 postage, from Dealing Digital.

Mildenhall Satellite appeared cheaper at 1st glance, at £159, but that didn't include VAT, which took it - excluding postage - to around the *total* cost via Dealing Digital.

I think I'll hold off on getting the HD sub. at the moment though. May give it a try once all the big US shows come back. Or may just go "sod it" & get it anyway, lol.

iain_herts
02-06-2007, 16:53
from what was said at a sky asa meeting they will be adding more HD channels soon

Tezcatlipoca
05-06-2007, 23:13
I hope so. Definitely needs more HD content, IMO.

Anyway...

Box ordered Friday night... arrived first thing this morning by DHL Express :)

Sleek & sexy beast isn't it!

Huge compared to my old Pace Digibox though!

Set it up this evening.

Phoned up Sky to pair the card & activate the Sky+ features (holding off on the HD sub. for now).

1st Sky CSR... seemed to be a bit confused as to what I wanted, lol.

"I have a Sky HD box & would like to activate the Sky+ service please."

"You want to activate Sky HD?"

"No, I have an HD box but only want to activate Sky+."

"You want to buy a new Sky+ box?"

"No, I have an HD box but only want to activate Sky+."

He ended up transferring me to Sky's call centre in Scotland, & a very polite & helpful Scottish woman sorted it all out for me in a few minutes :)

Sky+ is excellent.

BBC HD looks great.

Mmm, and 1080i upscaled HD goodness for the SD channels.

Tezcatlipoca
06-06-2007, 02:07
HA HA! :)

Have now installed an SP1 smart priority switch as a partial solution to my single feed problem (stupid communal dish system).

Works!

Box turned on - priority given to LNB1 for watching (& live pause/record etc.).

Box on standby - priority given to LNB2 for unattended recordings.

And also... it acts as a splitter too. Does decrease the signal strength, but seems acceptable. So I can actually also watch/record one channel while recording a second channel, even though I have only one feed [limited to both channels being the same polarity & band though].