PDA

View Full Version : Installation question

gekko
29-05-2007, 17:27
I'm having Virgin Media installed last week and already have an old NTL box in my lounge. I currently have wireless broadband and have just bought a new cable router so I can continue having wireless when I switch from ADSL. The router currently sits in the hallway and gives good reception around the house. I'm keen to keep the router there if possible. Is it possible to keep the cable socket for the TV in the lounge but run the phone socket to the hallway or do they have to be together? Bit worried that if the router has to be in the lounge the reception in the study, which is upstairs won't be as good.

Thanks.

Ernie_C
29-05-2007, 18:08
Your cable modem does not connect to a phone socket. It connects to a cable outlet just like your cable TV. That having been said, just ask the installer to put the cable outlet for the cable modem where YOU want it. That should be OK.

gekko
31-05-2007, 11:21
Ok thanks for that. Begs the question what the socket next to the NTL outlet in my lounge is. It looks like a regular phone socket but doesn't work when I plug my phone into it. I just assumed it was a cable phone socket as it's next to the NTL outlet.

Halcyon
31-05-2007, 11:29
It could be an NTL phone line that was orignally needed many years ago as a requirement for any other services, eg. broadband or TV.
The line is probably dead or not connected.

gekko
31-05-2007, 11:53
Ah right - thanks for the explanation. Fingers crossed for a smooth installation. Can't wait to start enjoying cable TV and 10/20mb broadband!

Ernie_C
31-05-2007, 12:35
Ok thanks for that. Begs the question what the socket next to the NTL outlet in my lounge is. It looks like a regular phone socket but doesn't work when I plug my phone into it. I just assumed it was a cable phone socket as it's next to the NTL outlet.
It will be a phone socket to suppy a phone service. Cable broadband does not come through a phone socket but cable phone does.

gekko
31-05-2007, 12:55
Ok, another numpty question I'm afraid. I read on the VM website that you need a BT line in order to get VM services. Is this just for non-cable services? It just confused me a bit as I was under the impression that once I have Virgin, I can ring up BT and cancel my account (both services and line rental).

I wish the FAQs on the Virgin site were more detailed - it's really hard to find answers to all my questions on there. I'm pretty clued up on broadband/home networking stuff but I've never had cable or Sky before so don't really understand the ins and outs of phone and TV setups.

on in an hour!
31-05-2007, 12:57
Ok, another numpty question I'm afraid. I read on the VM website that you need a BT line in order to get VM services. Is this just for non-cable services? It just confused me a bit as I was under the impression that once I have Virgin, I can ring up BT and cancel my account (both services and line rental).

I wish the FAQs on the Virgin site were more detailed - it's really hard to find answers to all my questions on there. I'm pretty clued up on broadband/home networking stuff but I've never had cable or Sky before so don't really understand the ins and outs of phone and TV setups.
the BT line will be for off-net customers.i.e. subs who dont live in a cabled street.the phone socket can be put anywhere at your request,if the line is ok in the living room leave it there.ask him to put the cable modem by your router in the hallway and carry on as b4 ;) once alls installed and working,call BT and tell em bye.

gekko
31-05-2007, 13:07
Perfect. Thanks for your help :-).

gekko
05-06-2007, 09:26
Well, today is installation day. I finally got the correct contract through with the right list of services on it (after phoning customer services 3 times). I hope it all goes smoothly - will report back later hopefully.

Pedro1
05-06-2007, 15:43
Gekko with regards to the router you want to keep using it sounds to me that it is an ADSL router. If you are going to VM then the router would have to be a DSl router. As far as i am aware an ADSL router will not work with VM and vice versa
as BT lines will need an ADSL one.

Ernie_C
05-06-2007, 18:26
Gekko with regards to the router you want to keep using it sounds to me that it is an ADSL router. If you are going to VM then the router would have to be a DSl router. As far as i am aware an ADSL router will not work with VM and vice versa
as BT lines will need an ADSL one.
Re-read the original post - he says he's got a new cable router!

Pedro1
05-06-2007, 20:10
Oops!