PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if you're a fanboy?

Gareth
28-05-2007, 23:36
This was originally posted over at Gamepro.com but thought it applied equally well to some people on here... :D

Are you a fanboy or just a spirited debater? Our six-point guide will put you on the path to self-discovery.

There are two types of fanboys in the world: those who passionately support a team, product, company or organization in a balanced way, and those who passionately support something to the point of becoming an irrational, spitting tornado of anger. The first type is normal and is the result of a healthy competitive nature. The problem, however, is when a person becomes unwilling to objectively criticize what is being rooted for; criticism that is in the best interest of both the consuming individual and the "team" in question.

The last thing the world needs is another article on fanboys. To highlight them is to encourage them; something most try to avoid. However, we think it's important to admonish their culture in the hopes of changing it. Once that happens, video game culture can only improve. So the next time you're staring at your face in the mirror, ask yourself this question: does this list apply to you?

1. You become upset when something you like is questioned.

Fanboys almost universally interpret criticism as a bad thing, generally responding with hostility. The irony of this is that unbridled enthusiasm benefits no one in the long run. When consumer products are blindly followed without criticism, improvement is frustrated and buyers ultimately get the shaft. It's in everyone's best interest to honestly evaluate what's being sold, be that a system made by Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo.

2. You are intellectually dishonest.

If you truly believe you are always right and can never be wrong, you -- my friend -- are intellectually dishonest. Common side affects include an unwillingness to hear out opposing arguments, an overlying fear of facts, a rejection of the truth, and opining without requisite context or knowledge (even worse, without thoroughly reading the issues being discussed!).

3. You resort to personal attacks during debate.

Fanboys let their myopic revelry define who there are. Pinning your very existence on the success of a mass market product like the Xbox 360 or PS3 can be a scary thing. Thus, personal insecurity often drives fanboys to spew trite insults and hateful speech when engaging with others in a discussion. The Urban Dictionary aptly describes the occurrence, "[They] put down people who don't like whatever it is they like and will disregard any factors that differ from their point of view." If you have a tough time separating emotion from discussion, you might be a fanboy.

4. The defeat of your enemy is more rewarding than your victory.

Rooting for the success of a "team" is one thing. In fact, millions of Americans do this daily for professional sports teams, favored products, even company stock. But relentlessly celebrating the loss of another in place of your own victory is problematic. I'm not talking about cheering when the Yankees lose; I'm talking about finding pleasure in spamming rival console forums, sabotaging Wikipedia entries, and disrupting the peaceful assembly of others.

5. You bring nothing new to a conversation.

Shipped consoles versus sold? We've all heard that tired argument a thousand times. Does it really matter? If you feel strongly about a subject, make an informed, creative case while backing it up with facts and cross-references. Look to enlighten the argument, not rehash the same points ad nauseum. Better yet, try a different approach if you feel you're not being heard. If "you suck" is the best counter argument you have, you're not even trying.

6. You are anti-fanboy.

Don't get me wrong -- no one likes a troll. But if you've made it your life's work to counter and antagonize fanboys, you're only adding to the problem. Anti-fanboys regularly accuse others of being fanboys in derogatory fashion. It's a vicious cycle. The name gets loosely thrown around yet tells more of the individual using the term than the person it's directed at. Calling someone a fanboy without proper cause is merely evidence of a weak mind trying to get noticed.

No one is completely devoid of bias, and everyone has a little fanboy in 'em. But extremes should be avoided. Ultimately, fanboyism is just blind consumerism most commonly found during one's formative years; the driving force largely being irrationality. So take heed, gamers. And embrace the idea of a world with a lot less aggravation.

Maggy
28-05-2007, 23:47
Oooh you do like living dangerously don't you? :D

Ah! Now have I put myself in the catagory of fanboy or anti fanboy?:scratch:

zing_deleted
28-05-2007, 23:50
I only get upset what im questioned not when something I like is ;)

multiskilled
29-05-2007, 01:11
Good post. Can I see myself in there? I'll let others decide but if they don't agree with me "they suck!"

cimt
29-05-2007, 01:13
Haha, that is quality.

Mick
29-05-2007, 01:38
Calling someone a fanboy without proper cause is merely evidence of a weak mind trying to get noticed.

I couldn't of said it any better - But it is going to be a term less used around here, if I having anything to do with it. As per my post, posted elsewhere today (and the reason why this thread has appeared)

I am going to be taking a very firm stance from now on, if I see anyone use this term again subsequent action will commence. It's a pathetic cop out for people on the other side of the arguement to use, to try and rubbish someone elses views and it can also be seen as a provocative term but now it is going to stop - The next people I see use this term, will get infraction penalties. Continued use will see accounts being banned / terminated. People are entitled to their views, but they are not entitled to start labelling other people just because they do not agree with their views.

The last thing the world needs is another article on fanboys. To highlight them is to encourage them; something most try to avoid.

I agree entirely. Thread closed. ;)