PDA

View Full Version : Caller Display not available?

Pages : [1] 2 3

dmeldrum
28-05-2007, 16:12
Just joined VM on the VIP package.

Rang up CS on Saturday to get Caller Display enabled as this had got missed off my original order. The Indian gentleman apologised, put me on hold for two minutes and then came back and said it had now been enabled for me.

Except of course it wasn't.

So called CS again Monday, and this time I get an Indian lady who after checking tells me that Caller Display is not available in my area.

I'm in SE9.

As I have now had two contradictory answers, should I try again for a third time? Is there a definitive way of finding out if Caller Display is available?

I've several different Caller Display phones, so I'm sure it is not a compatibility issue. I've had Caller Display on BT for over ten years and I consider it a basic feature of a phone service. If it really isn't available, I don't think I'll stick with the Virgin phone.

awibble
28-05-2007, 16:32
just asked to be transfered to the uk, they know what they are doing

Theodoric
31-05-2007, 21:15
<Snip>
I've several different Caller Display phones, so I'm sure it is not a compatibility issue. I've had Caller Display on BT for over ten years and I consider it a basic feature of a phone service. If it really isn't available, I don't think I'll stick with the Virgin phone.
I'm afraid that if you consider this a basic feature, then you're probably out of luck. I've beaten my head against this particular brick wall a number of times over the years. All you will ever get from VM (as from ntl before them) is whether or not it is available in a particular area and, as you're finding out the hard way, even this can be difficult.

If you try to get any further information, eg time scales, you will find that VM will simply refuse, point blank, to discuss the issue. Perhaps I'm being unduly cynical, but I've always taken this to mean that they have something to hide.

The VM site is still claiming (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/whychooseus/index.html), "We've got the lot. From Call Waiting and Caller Display . . .". You will note that there are no ifs and no buts; it is simply totally untrue. I'd be interested to know why VM still insist on promising something that they know very well that they can't deliver.

Marge
31-05-2007, 21:37
Caller Display isn't available in your area for sure

Nedkelly
31-05-2007, 22:12
There cant be many aeras that cant get caller display:)This must be because of the kit in the street the orignal cable company put in can not be upgraded :td:

Marge
31-05-2007, 22:28
There cant be many aeras that cant get caller display:)This must be because of the kit in the street the orignal cable company put in can not be upgraded :td:

It seems to be (from what I can remember) the ex Nynex, some ex BCM and ex Videotron areas. I think it's more of a money issue than anything else. It would seem that it would take quite a bit of expensive kit that would need fitting in the cabs and there wouldn't be enough revenue generated to justify the layout.

Nedkelly
31-05-2007, 22:31
Yes i agree dont like spending money on the network :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
31-05-2007, 22:35
Yes i agree dont like spending money on the network :)

I dont think spending the money on the network is the issue. Its the blatant lies that customers are told

Nedkelly
31-05-2007, 22:49
Yes you have a point there :)

on in an hour!
03-06-2007, 11:47
I dont think spending the money on the network is the issue. Its the blatant lies that customers are told
yet again another example of the offshore call centres just reading from a script!! no local knowledge,from what i remember its only the north east networks that carry this feature on their switches.:(

nigelmclelland
15-01-2010, 12:48
It seems to be (from what I can remember) the ex Nynex, some ex BCM and ex Videotron areas. I think it's more of a money issue than anything else. It would seem that it would take quite a bit of expensive kit that would need fitting in the cabs and there wouldn't be enough revenue generated to justify the layout.

Hi, Caller display is now seemingly more widely availible, see my other posts, I have had caller display for 5 days now, and was previously unavalable in my area. £2.00 /month.

It's worth phoning 150 again to check as I belive network is in process of being upgraded.

Ime in billing area 20 (cable).

Guy T
15-01-2010, 16:29
The area 20 bit is a bit misleading though as quoted on another thread by a VM employee:-
"Area Reference 20 is the ex-NYNEX franchice and includes some of the following areas all over England...

Stoke, Stockport, Warrington, Derby, Poole, Manchester, Brighton, Portsmouth, Hove, Bromley, Gosport, Bournemouth, Macclesfield, Worthing, Oldham, Salford, Orpington, Bolton, Dover, Aylesbury, Folkestone, Ashford, Peterbourgh, Dagenham."

saabmania2
19-01-2010, 07:03
yes i'm in so called "area 20" and we cannot get caller display :-( would really like this feature but have been told numerous times that we will never have it on the virgin system

nigelmclelland
19-01-2010, 22:30
yes i'm in so called "area 20" and we cannot get caller display :-( would really like this feature but have been told numerous times that we will never have it on the virgin system

Caller display should be enabled within the next week or so, ring up 150 and ask what switch you are on and if it has been enabled - see my other posts. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/59/33614997-caller-display-not-available-new-post.html Keep trying.

saabmania2
20-01-2010, 07:07
Caller display should be enabled within the next week or so, ring up 150 and ask what switch you are on and if it has been enabled - see my other posts. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/59/33614997-caller-display-not-available-new-post.html Keep trying.

I shall give them until begining of next week and try again then, x-fingers it will be activated but i have my doubts :D

saabmania2
10-02-2010, 21:44
well rang VM today and caller display is not available in the brighton area :(

cymap1
12-02-2010, 14:46
I have just rang aswell and its still not available in Stoke on trent

page3
13-02-2010, 23:09
Buy a VOIP/DECT phone. Sign up to a provider of your choice. Pick a nice number (same area code or another). Get caller ID for free, and massively cheaper calls. Job done.

Ben B
13-02-2010, 23:11
I ordered caller display online after they said it wasn't available on the phone and then it was activated the next day

blueranger
16-02-2010, 14:30
Just called 150 to order caller display but it seems it's not available here in Bromley. How did you manage to order it on-line? I've searched but not found anywhere to do that.

Ben B
16-02-2010, 15:51
Just called 150 to order caller display but it seems it's not available here in Bromley. How did you manage to order it on-line? I've searched but not found anywhere to do that.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/existingCustomer.html

saabmania2
21-02-2010, 09:49

just tried to do it that way and the website got to the bit where it asks you for extra services on your phone line, i could only either tick anonomous caller or international calls, it gives you a list of additional services that maybe avalable but you need to phone 150 after services are completed. :rolleyes:

nigelmclelland
21-02-2010, 10:22

Just phone 150. Its as simple as that, why complicate things ?:angel:

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Buy a VOIP/DECT phone. Sign up to a provider of your choice. Pick a nice number (same area code or another). Get caller ID for free, and massively cheaper calls. Job done.

Thats fine in principal but some of us are on bundles/retention deals, so if we cancel part of our package (assuming we are allowed to) our monthly price will increase!:dozey:

Kymmy
21-02-2010, 11:09
Caller display is available in my area but it's a £20 set-up charge... Out of contract now though so might try to get it later this year as a retention deal

nigelmclelland
21-02-2010, 11:14
Caller display is available in my area but it's a £20 set-up charge... Out of contract now though so might try to get it later this year as a retention deal

I am out of contract and on a retention deal too.

I hope you mean £2.00 set-up charge? - You can still go for it phone 150.:D What area are you in ?

Kymmy
21-02-2010, 11:23
Area 24... and yes I am correct it's £20 (someone will probably give the correct explanation soon but it's the same reason as to why I have 700Kb upload speed on 10Mb and 5 sticky IP addresses :p: )

nigelmclelland
21-02-2010, 11:31
Area 24... and yes I am correct it's £20 (someone will probably give the correct explanation soon but it's the same reason as to why I have 700Kb upload speed on 10Mb and 5 sticky IP addresses :p: )

That cant be right. Phone um up and ask for it to be added. LOl ! Caller display is £2.00 PCM

Kymmy
21-02-2010, 12:04
For you yes, for me there's a £20 set up fee and then it's the £2 per month ;)

You seem to be forgetting that VM do more than just residential services and although the business users user the same network/system the benefits and charging structure is different ;)

nigelmclelland
21-02-2010, 12:23
For you yes, for me there's a £20 set up fee and then it's the £2 per month ;)

You seem to be forgetting that VM do more than just residential services and although the business users user the same network/system the benefits and charging structure is different ;)

Agh, now you tell me that you are a business user, thats a different story. I dont know much about Virginmedia's business solutions sorry.:cool:

Turkey Machine
22-02-2010, 08:59

What?! That's outrageous! All they do is flick a switch on at the exchange.

saabmania2
22-02-2010, 12:17
Just phone 150. Its as simple as that, why complicate things ?:angel:

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

have you not read the thread above calling 150 doesn't work as they just tell you it's not available yet someone suggested they had been told it was not available and got it through the website, please read the start/middle of the thread too :rolleyes:

nigelmclelland
22-02-2010, 13:32
have you not read the thread above calling 150 doesn't work as they just tell you it's not available yet someone suggested they had been told it was not available and got it through the website, please read the start/middle of the thread too :rolleyes:

Yes I have, When you ring 150 ask them to check what switch you are on and also ask them to check weather it is enabled on thier internal network auditing system. I am on switch WL1 in area 20 :mad:

mersey70
01-03-2010, 19:37
Hi I live on the Wirral (CH41) and tried to order Caller ID yesterday. I was told by an adviser that it is not available. I asked her about what switch I was on and when I might be able to get the feature and she got very annoyed and basically said I just have to wait. I have only been a customer since December and whilst the actual service is generally ok (no better or worse than BT/Sky on a whole for me) my experience of their Customer Services has not been too hot although if I am honest I wouldn't like to have to do their job.

nigelmclelland
01-03-2010, 22:12
Hi I live on the Wirral (CH41) and tried to order Caller ID yesterday. I was told by an adviser that it is not available. I asked her about what switch I was on and when I might be able to get the feature and she got very annoyed and basically said I just have to wait. I have only been a customer since December and whilst the actual service is generally ok (no better or worse than BT/Sky on a whole for me) my experience of their Customer Services has not been too hot although if I am honest I wouldn't like to have to do their job.

You will be able to get caller display this year sometime, the whole network is slowly being upgraded - keep trying !;)

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

Mind you it also depends on weather the advisor you get can be bothered to check the internal network auditing system to actually see if the switch you are on has been enabled, hence your reply, so I would phone them back later in the week to be honest.

saabmania2
02-03-2010, 07:40

Their is no excuse for being rude (that goes both ways either from the customer or the customer service rep) if i was rude to my customers not only would i not have any customers left i would probably get punched as most of my customers are 6ft+ and built like brick "s" houses :D
and i've always found if you want something they are more likely to go the extra if you are polite, but then as you found out it doesn't always work perhaps you got one having a bad day (still no excuse!!) :)

mersey70
03-03-2010, 14:26
I send an email pointing out I was unhappy and an adviser called me back who clearly knew what she was talking about. She thoroughly checked and advised that Caller ID is definitely not available and furthermore she had no information on future availability so she covered all bases and said she cannot guarantee it will be available to me any time soon.

She offered to cancel just the telephone service with no early termination fee if I preferred to go to BT or if I wanted to keep the phone and sign a new 12 month contract for all 3 services (ive only been with them for just over 2 months anyway) she reduced the monthly sub and offered a discounted V+ box which I was happy to accept

nigelmclelland
04-03-2010, 08:55
I send an email pointing out I was unhappy and an adviser called me back who clearly knew what she was talking about. She thoroughly checked and advised that Caller ID is definitely not available and furthermore she had no information on future availability so she covered all bases and said she cannot guarantee it will be available to me any time soon.

She offered to cancel just the telephone service with no early termination fee if I preferred to go to BT or if I wanted to keep the phone and sign a new 12 month contract for all 3 services (ive only been with them for just over 2 months anyway) she reduced the monthly sub and offered a discounted V+ box which I was happy to accept

You may well find in a month or so your telephone switch may well have been upgraded for caller ID! So keep that in mind.:dunce:

mersey70
04-03-2010, 12:08
I will definitely keep trying thanks.:dunce:

Mark_84
11-03-2010, 07:28
I am in area 20 (Oldham) and have managed to get caller display, I have tried for the past 3/4 years and its never been available. Thanks for the thread or i wouldn't have known :)

I was even considering joining BT once my contract had ending as its annoying without it !

CBLN6
17-03-2010, 20:20
I'm area 30 and needed caller display for my Callsure call screening box and after a couple of calls got it enabled. Though according to Callsure my cable line has caller display coming into the line in BT format and not cable format which has caused a few hiccups with setting up my star and zap lists.

Digital Fanatic
18-03-2010, 08:19
I'm area 30 and needed caller display for my Callsure call screening box and after a couple of calls got it enabled. Though according to Callsure my cable line has caller display coming into the line in BT format and not cable format which has caused a few hiccups with setting up my star and zap lists.

Is that like TrueCall? If so you need to set it to BT NOT cable.. I think the settings are wrong, so will work on BT setting.

nigelmclelland
22-03-2010, 08:46

Any sign of Caller Id on the other half of Wirral Mersey70?;)

mersey70
22-03-2010, 09:09
Any sign of Caller Id on the other half of Wirral Mersey70?;)

Hi, I called again on Saturday and it still is not available so I will just keep trying every few weeks or so.

nigelmclelland
22-03-2010, 09:24
Hi, I called again on Saturday and it still is not available so I will just keep trying every few weeks or so.

Ok, make sure they check your switch properly, Keep us informed!:o:

bob.stansfield
31-03-2010, 00:19
Got CLI today on the other side of the Wirral (CH62)

mersey70
31-03-2010, 08:17
Got CLI today on the other side of the Wirral (CH62)

Hi, I thought I too would try again today for CLI (CH41 Wirral). It is still not available so I will just keep trying!!. Thanks.

nigelmclelland
31-03-2010, 10:27
Hi, I thought I too would try again today for CLI (CH41 Wirral). It is still not available so I will just keep trying!!. Thanks.

What's your switch number Mersey70? can you find out and let us know, Mine is WL1, thats in CH63.

mersey70
31-03-2010, 10:59
What's your switch number Mersey70? can you find out and let us know, Mine is WL1, thats in CH63.

I am sorry I don't know, I did ask previously but the operator was far from helpful. I am CH41 and was part of the Birkenhead sub headend upgrade for NGTV last week, is this what you are referring to by switch because it's a term no one I have spoken to seems familiar with. I have asked about what switch I am on and have never got an answer.

on in an hour!
31-03-2010, 21:23
they should be able to identify the availability off your 'area code' which you can find on your bill ;)

BenMcr
31-03-2010, 22:42
they should be able to identify the availability off your 'area code' which you can find on your bill ;)
Actually the area reference won't help - as they generally cover several switches - some could be enabled and some couldn't

mersey70
31-03-2010, 23:13

My area code is 20 which I think from other posts is just ex-Nynex/CWC areas and covers all manner of places.

I'll try again in a few weeks, Virgin will probably have 500mb Broadband & 100 HD channels by time I can get Caller ID!!

Horizon
31-03-2010, 23:51
....indeed, been waiting years for it myself.

No idea why VM are even bothering to do these upgrades now. Why not just go straight to VOIP and be done with the old telephone system once and for all?

BenMcr
01-04-2010, 09:12
Why not just go straight to VOIP and be done with the old telephone system once and for all?Personally I think it's because VoIP, although cheap, isn't yet reliable enough to replace 'old style' phone lines completely

mersey70
01-04-2010, 11:09
Personally I think it's because VoIP, although cheap, isn't yet reliable enough to replace 'old style' phone lines completely

Yes I agree with that regarding VoIP, when I receive calls from Skype users to my landline it can cut out and the voice sometimes sounds 'robotic' if you know what I mean but it is excellent value. However when I was a BT Broadband customer you get a VoIP line and second standard telephone number included and you can just plug any landline handset into the HomeHub and benefit from cheap international calls (and get Caller ID!!!) and I can honestly say that the service was faultless as was the Broadband, if it wasnt for the fact that you had to have a BT landline to get their Broadband I could happily have just used it as my home telephone service (there were no all day call options and the like with it but calls to family abroad were very cheap) but overall the triple Virgin services offer more and better value for me.

Turkey Machine
01-04-2010, 12:13
Personally I think it's because VoIP, although cheap, isn't yet reliable enough to replace 'old style' phone lines completely

This is why devices like the Siemens A580IP (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Siemens-Gigaset-A580-Cordless-Phone/dp/B001IBGW7U) exist. ;)

snazz
10-04-2010, 00:01
Hi everyone

I've been a member here for years, but have never posted. I've been a customer since the 90s - first of all with Cable & Wireless, then NTL and now Virgin. I, like others on this thread am in Area 20 (Brighton) and have today phoned 150 regards caller display to be told for the umpteenth time that caller display is still not available. I'm truly staggered by this. I was told that the emphasis is on TV services such as HDTV and therefore there's no push to get caller display out to everyone.

I asked about moving my line to BT because caller display is important to me. Yes, I can move my line but I'd still have to pay line rental because of my TV package. This seems outrageous to me. If Virgin cannot, or will not provide a basic service, why should they hold people to line rental when another company can provide the service they want?

Having signed up so many years ago, surely I now have the right to move my line whilst retaining my cable tv services.

Anyway, I want to make an issue of this with Virgin - how do I go about it? Who do I contact? I know ... they'll not do anything for me etc etc ...!!! ;)

Digital Fanatic
10-04-2010, 01:13
Hi everyone

I've been a member here for years, but have never posted. I've been a customer since the 90s - first of all with Cable & Wireless, then NTL and now Virgin. I, like others on this thread am in Area 20 (Brighton) and have today phoned 150 regards caller display to be told for the umpteenth time that caller display is still not available. I'm truly staggered by this. I was told that the emphasis is on TV services such as HDTV and therefore there's no push to get caller display out to everyone.

I asked about moving my line to BT because caller display is important to me. Yes, I can move my line but I'd still have to pay line rental because of my TV package. This seems outrageous to me. If Virgin cannot, or will not provide a basic service, why should they hold people to line rental when another company can provide the service they want?

Having signed up so many years ago, surely I now have the right to move my line whilst retaining my cable tv services.

Anyway, I want to make an issue of this with Virgin - how do I go about it? Who do I contact? I know ... they'll not do anything for me etc etc ...!!! ;)

All areas are being upgraded this year, no point in complaining now... if you want to move your 'phone service over to BT then you can, but you may lose discounts on your other services.

:)

mersey70
10-04-2010, 11:53
Hi everyone

[LEFT][LEFT][LEFT][CENTER][RIGHT]I've been a member here for years, but have never posted. I've been a customer since the 90s - first of all with Cable & Wireless, then NTL and now Virgin. I, like others on this thread am in Area 20 (Brighton) and have today phoned 150 regards caller display to be told for the umpteenth time that caller display is still not available. I'm truly staggered by this. I was told that the emphasis is on TV services such as HDTV and therefore there's no push to get caller display out to everyone.

Hello, I am in a similar position but have only been a customer since December 09. I was told prior to ordering that caller ID was available, I took the 2 months free TV + BB offer as I was advised the offer was soon to expire and I still had BT for over a month as I paid quarterly and it was only when BT was due to be disconnected and I phoned Virgin to order caller ID that I found it was not available.

I called the retentions team and advised them I wanted to get rid of the phone which they usually charge £80 to cancel early but they offered to waive this and the monthly sub would have been reduced by £2.60. However if I decided to wait until caller id was avaialble and sign a new 12 month contract they reduced the total sub to £40.75 which I accepted, the new contract started 23 March and when I got the bill for April they also added the £2.49 increase for line rental and XL TV from April 1 so I only got the offer for 9 days!. I called retentions again and they said this was wrong so it is now £40.24, I dont know how they came to this figure as its slightly less than the original offer. I also got a reduced cost V+ box but this offer is available to everyone now.

You might want to call 150 and choose option 2 and 2 again and tell them your thinking of removing the phone. If I had not been offered this deal I would definitely have got shut of the phone but then again there would have been no charge for reconnecting to BT for me.

snazz
10-04-2010, 16:44
Hi Digital Fanatic and thanks for that info. If they really are upgrading this year then I'll hold on. I wish when we phone 150 that they would give us this sort of information instead of being told they have no idea!! A big thanks to you! :)

Mersey70, thanks also for your info. I hadn't realised that there was a retentions team (which of course, logically there would be!!). Given Digital Fanatic's information, I shall call 150 again anyway and see if I can push them for further information and go from there.

agrajag
13-04-2010, 12:41
Hi All,

Does anyone know if Caller Display is currently available in Swindon (Area 31)? I am to be connected in the next couple of weeks and not having CLI could be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for any info.
Andy

nigelmclelland
14-04-2010, 13:21
Hi All,

Does anyone know if Caller Display is currently available in Swindon (Area 31)? I am to be connected in the next couple of weeks and not having CLI could be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for any info.
Andy

Your Going to have to phone them on 150 matey and check that way!

agrajag
14-04-2010, 13:28
Your Going to have to phone them on 150 matey and check that way!

Yeah, will wait until they've done the install - if they plan to upgrade the exchanges to CLI this year its no too much of a hardship to wait a little while...:sleep:

Thanks,
Andy

nigelmclelland
22-04-2010, 11:11
Hi All,

Thanks for any info.
Andy

Hi Andy, Dont forget for every chargeable call you make with VM you will pay a connection charge of about 10p. VM should drop the call connection charge? Have you got your caller display yet?

agrajag
22-04-2010, 17:26
Hi Andy, Dont forget for every chargeable call you make with VM you will pay a connection charge of about 10p. VM should drop the call connection charge? Have you got your caller display yet?

Hi Nigel, I'll (hopefully) be connected up to VM next Friday (30th) so will be on to 150 as soon as its all up and running... I'll post back my findings...

Andy

mersey70
26-04-2010, 13:50

Hi again, I have finally identified what switch I am on (I called faults about a Bloomberg Interactive problem I am still having so I enquired at the same time about the switch and he said that I too am on WL1 (CH41) yet he was adamant that I cannot get Caller ID.

I am going to try and raise a query on the VM forums and see if I can get anywhere further.

nigelmclelland
26-04-2010, 15:42
Hi again, I have finally identified what switch I am on (I called faults about a Bloomberg Interactive problem I am still having so I enquired at the same time about the switch and he said that I too am on WL1 (CH41) yet he was adamant that I cannot get Caller ID.

I am going to try and raise a query on the VM forums and see if I can get anywhere further.

If you are on WL1 you CAN get caller ID.

mersey70
26-04-2010, 18:05
If you are on WL1 you CAN get caller ID.

Below is the reply I got from a Virgin Forum Team member, this is all very strange!:-

Hi Mersey70,

Caller display should not be available on switch WL1, it is interesting that you advise that someone else who is on this switch is advising they are getting it. I'm going to forward this on to one of our telephony engineers and my manager to look into this further for you.

As soon as I have a response I'll update on here.

Regards
Laura

Help and Support Forum Team

nigelmclelland
26-04-2010, 18:50
Below is the reply I got from a Virgin Forum Team member, this is all very strange!:-

Hi Mersey70,

Caller display should not be available on switch WL1, it is interesting that you advise that someone else who is on this switch is advising they are getting it. I'm going to forward this on to one of our telephony engineers and my manager to look into this further for you.

As soon as I have a response I'll update on here.

Regards
Laura

Help and Support Forum Team

This is gonna be good mersey70!! Keep us posted wont you ?:)

mersey70
27-04-2010, 12:44
This is gonna be good mersey70!! Keep us posted wont you ?:)

Success at last!! i'd like to thank you for your help as without your knowledge I would have been waiting for CLI until the cows come home. How on earth can they make such a stupid error is beyond me, can you imagine how many people this has affected. Anyway I have called to have it activated I will post again when I can confirm all is ok.

many thanks again, the reply from Virgin Forum is below:-

mersey70,

Update with regards to CLI.

Laura as advised escalated your query.

Its good news CLI is available in your area. I would advise you to contact Customer care on 150 to add feature to your package.The information internally is being updated I have left notes on your account also to advise of this.

Also please note that we are in the planning stages of deploying Caller Display where not currently available.

Cheers
Darren E

Forum Support Team

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Hi, I confirm it is now activated!!!

Thanks again.

nigelmclelland
27-04-2010, 13:36
You are most welcome Mersey70 glad I could be of some help. By the way I do not work for Virginmedia - LOl.

mersey70
27-04-2010, 14:50
You are most welcome Mersey70 glad I could be of some help. By the way I do not work for Virginmedia - LOl.

Its obvious you don't work for Virgin because your information was correct!! (only joking Virgin Staff) seriously though it was not the call centre staff's fault as they can only relay the information to hand.

Anyway I am happy as I finally have every service that I would wish to subscribe to.

nigelmclelland
28-04-2010, 11:48
Its obvious you don't work for Virgin because your information was correct!! (only joking Virgin Staff) seriously though it was not the call centre staff's fault as they can only relay the information to hand.

Anyway I am happy as I finally have every service that I would wish to subscribe to.

I agree, the staff can only pass on the info they have at hand. Glad your sorted.

agrajag
30-04-2010, 16:34
Well, all sorted. Installer cabled me up. As soon as he'd gone I rang 150 and Caller Display was working within a few minutes... So, it seems to be available in Swindon. :)

Andy

dmeldrum
30-04-2010, 20:04
I've just realised that I started this thread nearly three years ago.

I've just phoned up 150 again, and have been told that caller display is still not available in SE9 3** (ex-Videotron).

I have VIP package, 2 V+ boxes, 50MB broadband, but I still can't see who is calling me when the phone rings.

nigelmclelland
01-05-2010, 17:59
I've just realised that I started this thread nearly three years ago.

I've just phoned up 150 again, and have been told that caller display is still not available in SE9 3** (ex-Videotron).

I have VIP package, 2 V+ boxes, 50MB broadband, but I still can't see who is calling me when the phone rings.

Yes, but if you read the second-to-last post by Mersey70 you will see they are SLOWLY introducing caller id to areas that are without.:cool:

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

Talking of caller display what year did BT introduce caller display? Bear in mind that it's now 2010 and Virginmedia are only just catching on to the fact that Caller ID is a basic requirement. We should be able to text from our land lines next ?

mersey70
02-05-2010, 19:11
Yes, but if you read the second-to-last post by Mersey70 you will see they are SLOWLY introducing caller id to areas that are without.:cool:

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

Talking of caller display what year did BT introduce caller display? Bear in mind that it's now 2010 and Virginmedia are only just catching on to the fact that Caller ID is a basic requirement. We should be able to text from our land lines next ?

I know a retired BT Engineer and he said they introduced CLI to the public late in 1994 but only on their digital exchanges and that all exchanges were digital by 1998.

I don't know about sending texts as it is not a feature that appeals to me as I never send texts from my mobile but I have received texts converted to voicemail on my landline. And very annoying they are too, even when deleted the phone still rings a couple more times with the same message my nephew thinks doing this is hilarious!

nigelmclelland
03-05-2010, 19:15
So what we are saying is that Virginmedia has taken 12-16 years longer than BT to implement caller display, That is assuming they stick to their promise of enabeling all areas by the end of 2010! - Are all Virginmedia telephone exchanges digital ?

Digital Fanatic
03-05-2010, 19:39
So what we are saying is that Virginmedia has taken 12-16 years longer than BT to implement caller display, That is assuming they stick to their promise of enabeling all areas by the end of 2010! - Are all Virginmedia telephone exchanges digital ?

Virgin Media switches are lots of different cable companies all bought up by the larger cable companies (ntl: & Telewest) over the last 10-12 years.

Some switches on the ex-NTL side were not capable of supporting the extra features such as Caller Display.

VM has been in existance as a fully merged company for just over 3 years. They are in the process of upgrading the remaining switches to enable Caller Display.

Telewest switches were all able to offer Caller Display for many years before the merger.

mersey70
03-05-2010, 20:10

I would be very surprised if Virgin's telephone exchanges are anything but digital but maybe because the network is such a mish mash of legacy systems all the old companies must have had different ideas of what services people would want when the exchanges were built and so CLI just wasn't included in some.

My Dad reminded me that when he switched to Nynex from BT way back in the early 90's (when the Manchester/Wirral network was first built), that unlike BT it also didn't originally provide 1471.

Guy T
08-05-2010, 09:15
Still not available in Derby !

nigelmclelland
18-05-2010, 13:30
Still not available in Derby !

What switch are you on ?;)

Guy T
19-05-2010, 12:58
DB1

saabmania2
20-05-2010, 07:23
still not available in brighton either :-( i really hope they can sort it out soon it seems stupid in this day and age that something that has been around for years cannot be got

nigelmclelland
20-05-2010, 08:54
I am sure Caller Id will be availible soon (see previous posts) in your area- Keep trying.

Guy T
20-05-2010, 19:15
I am sure Caller Id will be availible soon (see previous posts) in your area- Keep trying.

I do keep trying - last time they said we will call you when its available! - Hah! not much chance of that happening is there!!!!!!!

mersey70
23-05-2010, 13:22
I was constantly advised that CLI was not available when it transpired it actually was. I was lucky as a fellow forum member was on the same switch as me and he had the service, he told me to find out what switch I was on as he lived quite near to me and Virgin confirmed I was on the same one. I posted over on the Virgin Forum to advise of this and they then agreed it was in fact available, their database was out of date.

The crazy thing is they advised me prior to me being connected to Virgin that it was available and when they told me it wasn't I asked for the telephone to be disconnected and they offered me a decent retention deal not to cancel when I'd only been with them for just over 2 months (I still had BT for a while and it was only when the BT service was fully disconnected I tried to order CLI) so it has cost them money.

I can't complain for the period of the retention deal but it really shoudn't cost £24 a year for CLI on top of the very, very expensive telephone service. I doubt I will continue with the telephone when my contract is up.

nigelmclelland
24-05-2010, 13:20
Agreed Mersey70, Virginmedia should drop the 10p connection charge for a start!

jtaylor06
31-05-2010, 01:34
Is caller ID available on TF2?

nigelmclelland
31-05-2010, 09:36

Why don't you get your parents to phone 150 and ask ?

Digital Fanatic
01-06-2010, 14:28

Yes, all ex-Telewest areas have had this feature for many years.

Guy T
01-06-2010, 18:20
Hi DF

Do you know if its a continuous upgrade program? - there doesn't appear to be many switches left so it's hard to see it taking until the end of the year - have any been upgraded recently ?

Thx

Digital Fanatic
01-06-2010, 18:35
Hi DF

Do you know if its a continuous upgrade program? - there doesn't appear to be many switches left so it's hard to see it taking until the end of the year - have any been upgraded recently ?

Thx

All we have been told is that all switch upgrades will be complete before the end of the year, possibly earlier. it's all part of a roll-out to get service unification in all areas... it's just been completed for the tv side with NGTV.

HD462
01-06-2010, 21:18
I know a retired BT Engineer and he said they introduced CLI to the public late in 1994 but only on their digital exchanges and that all exchanges were digital by 1998.

I would say it's even longer than that. We switched to Virgin/NTL (originally Comcast) in 1995 as soon as cable became available here. One of the things I checked they did the same as BT which we were leaving, was having Caller Display, they confirmed they did, and we've had it since day 1.

We'd previously had it on BT for I would guess at least 4 yrs, we had a seperate box with it's own display which plugged into the phone socket, and the phone plugged into the box, as the phone didn't have Caller Display built in back then. The box was £20 to buy from Argos back then.

Nowadays, we just have a phone that's capable of Caller Display, and it shows up on the phone, the same as it does on your mobile phone.

I still can't believe it's taking them so long to roll out a feature that's been around for nigh on 20 years.

pip_k
03-06-2010, 21:36
Still not available in Norwich, try again in 4 weeks

Felim_Doyle
08-06-2010, 08:38
... they are completing the rollout of Caller Display in the remaining ExNTL blackspots (Telewest already was fully rolled out for years).

Please note that this post was originally prepared as a PM to DF and may contain questions already answered earlier in the thread.

DF, I can't tell you the number of times that I have been told that Caller Display was 'Coming Soon' or, worse still, that I already had it. Even late last year or earlier this year a CS rep. told me that my area now had the facility having put me on hold to check first! I have since verified that this is NOT the case.

At one stage, back in the C&W and NTL days I was paying for the service as part of a feature bundle (Call Waiting, 3-Way Calling etc.) but never got it to work. At that time the excuse was that not all Caller Id. telephones were compatible with the, IIRC, Nortel exchanges (or do I mean Nynex?).

I would be obliged if you could give me some insight into the likely delivery time-scale of this, IMO, essential service to Aylesbury.

Digital Fanatic
08-06-2010, 16:01
Please note that this post was originally prepared as a PM to DF and may contain questions already answered earlier in the thread.

DF, I can't tell you the number of times that I have been told that Caller Display was 'Coming Soon' or, worse still, that I already had it. Even late last year or earlier this year a CS rep. told me that my area now had the facility having put me on hold to check first! I have since verified that this is NOT the case.

At one stage, back in the C&W and NTL days I was paying for the service as part of a feature bundle (Call Waiting, 3-Way Calling etc.) but never got it to work. At that time the excuse was that not all Caller Id. telephones were compatible with the, IIRC, Nortel exchanges (or do I mean Nynex?).

I would be obliged if you could give me some insight into the likely delivery time-scale of this, IMO, essential service to Aylesbury.

I think in the past some porkie pies were being told by customer services on NTL!

There is a rollout happening right now to upgrade the last EX-NTL areas to caller display. Due for completion before the end of 2010, possibly earlier.

There has been some confusion for Customer Care & Faults after a new area has been upgraded and then this information wasn't updated on the internal services screen/call feature tool.

This has now been corrected and any future upgrades will be notified as soon as completed.

As you can see from this thread, some have been upgraded this year already, but I am not privvy to the rollout plan and areas being done next.

nigelmclelland
09-06-2010, 09:57
All we have been told is that all switch upgrades will be complete before the end of the year, possibly earlier. it's all part of a roll-out to get service unification in all areas... it's just been completed for the tv side with NGTV.

Hi Digital Fanatic,

What other upgrades may I ask are in store under the service unification plan?

Digital Fanatic
09-06-2010, 14:46
Hi Digital Fanatic,

What other upgrades may I ask are in store under the service unification plan?

The next one is TIVO :) and EPG changes

Guy T
24-06-2010, 15:18
Still not available in Derby (DB1)

tonyheath
24-06-2010, 17:27
Can anyone advise is it available in stoke on trent ST2?

nigelmclelland
24-06-2010, 22:26
The next one is TIVO :) and EPG changes

Digital fanatic,

How many Virginmedia telephone switches cover the wirral area in total? Is it just switch "WL1" (CLI enabled) covering the whole of the wirral?

scaseman
27-06-2010, 12:50
I am a new customer in Gloucester. I dialed 150 asked for caller display to be enabled and voicemail disabled because my phone has its own answer machine. I was told it would take 24 hours. 24 hours later everything that I had asked for had been done.

weesteev
29-06-2010, 23:27
I am a new customer in Gloucester. I dialed 150 asked for caller display to be enabled and voicemail disabled because my phone has its own answer machine. I was told it would take 24 hours. 24 hours later everything that I had asked for had been done.

As far as im aware, all ex-Telewest areas had caller ID so this would be correct. Missing Caller ID areas were primarily ex-NTL areas.

Digital Fanatic
30-06-2010, 16:26
Digital fanatic,

How many Virginmedia telephone switches cover the wirral area in total? Is it just switch "WL1" (CLI enabled) covering the whole of the wirral?

I think it's just the one off the top of my head, WL1.. I'll have a look when in work next.

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

As far as im aware, all ex-Telewest areas had caller ID so this would be correct. Missing Caller ID areas were primarily ex-NTL areas.

yeah, ex-Telewest.. always had it. :)

weesteev
01-07-2010, 09:39
The Wirral only has 1 telco switch, WL1.

nigelmclelland
02-07-2010, 10:02
The Wirral only has 1 telco switch, WL1.

So for EVERYONE who lives on the Wirral and has Virginmedia telephone, you CAN now have CALLER DISPLAY !!!

Felim_Doyle
02-07-2010, 12:22
As far as I understand it, for TV purposes Aylesbury is on the Watford Regional Head-End. I assume that my broadband also comes for there as my host-name ends in watf.cable.ntl.com. Is it likely that my telephone service also comes from Watford or will there be a more local exchange for that? Is my TV, broadband and telephone all multiplexed down the same fibre from Watford to the street corner cabinet?

dojoman47
08-07-2010, 15:20
Still not available in Runcorn Cheshire, guy had no idea when it would be either:mad:

aardvark
10-07-2010, 22:28
Today I used Virginmedia Help and Support Forum to enquire about Caller Display here in the Stoke-on-Trent area. They said that it's now available and to call Customer Services.

Called CS where a delightful Scottish lady told me it isn't available.

Contacted the Forum again. They said it definitely is available but they couldn't request it for me ... would have to be done through CS.

Called CS again who told me that it's not available ... but when I insisted they said they'd request it but, when I found it didn't work within 24 hrs, I could call to have the request withdrawn.

Caller Display is now working. The Stoke switch IS enabled.

Well done the Forum team. Not so well done CS who don't seem to have up-to-date information to hand.

Guy T
11-07-2010, 12:18
Today I used Virginmedia Help and Support Forum to enquire about Caller Display here in the Stoke-on-Trent area. They said that it's now available and to call Customer Services.

Called CS where a delightful Scottish lady told me it isn't available.

Contacted the Forum again. They said it definitely is available but they couldn't request it for me ... would have to be done through CS.

Called CS again who told me that it's not available ... but when I insisted they said they'd request it but, when I found it didn't work within 24 hrs, I could call to have the request withdrawn.

Caller Display is now working. The Stoke switch IS enabled.

Well done the Forum team. Not so well done CS who don't seem to have up-to-date information to hand.

@DF - On post 96 of this thread you have said this communication issue was resolved ;) Is it broken again ?
Do you have the ability to really check if DB1 is enabled yet? - CS keep saying no but reports like this make me doubt that!

Thanks

dojoman47
11-07-2010, 16:12
After reading post 109, I too contacted the Virgin media Help and Support Forum and I have also been informed that CD is available in my area. Have rang CS again and requested CD, was told no problem and would be activated within 24 hours. Will up date tomorrow.

dojoman47
11-07-2010, 18:19
Just received a call, and yes CD is now working, if it had not been for the Virginmedia Help and Support Forum I would have just accepted the CS guys answer on Friday. Also a big thank you for aardvark for pointing us in that direction.

aardvark
11-07-2010, 19:59
Just received a call, and yes CD is now working, if it had not been for the Virginmedia Help and Support Forum I would have just accepted the CS guys answer on Friday. Also a big thank you for aardvark for pointing us in that direction.

Glad to be of help. I'm interested to see how many more people manage to persuade CS that Caller Display actually IS available in their area.

My thanks once again to the Help and Support Forum team for being on the ball!!

nigelmclelland
12-07-2010, 09:35
The Virginmedia telephone network on the Wirral only uses one Telco switch "WL1" for the whole area, which is now caller display enabled. So good news if you live on the Wirral (like myself) you CAN now have caller display on your landline - (No more excuses Virginmedia!) priced at £2.00 pcm. But should be free like BT.

efc85
26-07-2010, 20:09
If you've got Virginmobile and ,i stress,a decent signal,you can pay for call divert for the same price (i think) as caller display and leave your landline on permanent divert to your mobile,the caller will be displayed and the calls won't cost any extra as all calls from landline to virginmobile are free

Peter_
26-07-2010, 20:14
If you've got Virginmobile and ,i stress,a decent signal,you can pay for call divert for the same price (i think) as caller display and leave your landline on permanent divert to your mobile,the caller will be displayed and the calls won't cost any extra as all calls from landline to virginmobile are free
Have you actually tried this as any diverted calls from your landline would surely only show up with your home number.?

efc85
26-07-2010, 20:37
Have you actually tried this as any diverted calls from your landline would surely only show up with your home number.?

Yep,i use it every day and as it diverts from the exchange it always shows the callers number unless they've withheld it.

dave_dph
27-07-2010, 08:21

Depending on your call package, i.e. Phone M only includes free calls to Virgin mobiles at the weekend, Phone L only includes evening and weekends.

Felim_Doyle
27-07-2010, 09:26
If you've got Virginmobile and ,i stress,a decent signal,you can pay for call divert for the same price (i think) as caller display and leave your landline on permanent divert to your mobile,the caller will be displayed and the calls won't cost any extra as all calls from landline to virginmobile are freeI have occasionally done this with my BT line on which I do have caller id. but which does not show international numbers. :( Of course that is not free to do so I only do it as and when I need it.

I hadn't made the brilliant connection between that piece of technology and calls from a Virgin Media land line to a Virgin Mobile potentially being free. :tu:

I'll have to configure the voice-mail on one of my VM SIMs to mimic the land line. Is it free to pick up voice-mail on a Virgin Mobile though?

Peter_
27-07-2010, 10:04
Yep,i use it every day and as it diverts from the exchange it always shows the callers number unless they've withheld it.
That is a good bit of information for anyone that needs to use Call Divert.;)

Felim_Doyle
27-07-2010, 10:15
Have you actually tried this as any diverted calls from your landline would surely only show up with your home number.?The exchange knows the caller id. but, IIRC, non System X / System Y (e.g. Nortel) exchanges do not support the appropriate (Bell compatible) signalling to pass the information on to the caller id. unit or phone at your home.

In the BT case, IIRC, the exchange, for a historical reason to avoid number ambiguity, sets the 'no display' flag on international calls. The information is still there but your caller display is told to ignore it. If the display says 'INTERNATIONAL' then the number is available but you're not allowed to see it. If it says 'UNAVAILABLE' then the number has not been provided by the overseas network (rare these days).

If you divert to a compatible network and phone (e.g. any mobile) you get the caller id. regardless of the originating exchange and network as long as it is present in the signalling. I think even 'WITHHELD' numbers make it all the way to the local exchange before the withhold flag is enforced.

In the early days of mobile phones and call divert on land lines, my Nokia 2110 on Vodafone and the similar original Orange Nokia (a 2140 underneath the Orange badge) on Orange used to display 'Diverted Call' or a '>' next to the number so you could tell that it was not a direct call to your mobile number. AFAIK, all of that information is still available in the signalling but just isn't used. :(

It's a while since I last delved into this so the above may not be entirely accurate but I haven't got time to research it just now. See Caller ID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID) for more details.

Peter_
27-07-2010, 11:26
The exchange knows the caller id. but, IIRC, non System X / System Y (e.g. Nortel) exchanges do not support the appropriate (Bell compatible) signalling to pass the information on to the caller id. unit or phone at your home.

In the BT case, IIRC, the exchange, for a historical reason to avoid number ambiguity, sets the 'no display' flag on international calls. The information is still there but your caller display is told to ignore it. If the display says 'INTERNATIONAL' then the number is available but you're not allowed to see it. If it says 'UNAVAILABLE' then the number has not been provided by the overseas network (rare these days).

If you divert to a compatible network and phone (e.g. any mobile) you get the caller id. regardless of the originating exchange and network as long as it is present in the signalling. I think even 'WITHHELD' numbers make it all the way to the local exchange before the withhold flag is enforced.

In the early days of mobile phones and call divert on land lines, my Nokia 2110 on Vodafone and the similar original Orange Nokia (a 2140 underneath the Orange badge) on Orange used to display 'Diverted Call' or a '>' next to the number so you could tell that it was not a direct call to your mobile number. AFAIK, all of that information is still available in the signalling but just isn't used. :(

It's a while since I last delved into this so the above may not be entirely accurate but I haven't got time to research it just now. See Caller ID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID) for more details.
We us 5 different switches and they all work slightly different to each other. Some calling features don't work together - for further info please check www.virginmedia.com/phoneguide (http://www.virginmedia.com/phoneguide)

Pauls9
27-07-2010, 12:02
If it says 'UNAVAILABLE' then the number has not been provided by the overseas network (rare these days).'Unavailable' always tells me it's an overseas cold sales call - quite useful.

dmeldrum
30-07-2010, 10:12
Reading the updates from people that Caller Display is starting to appear in the backwaters of the Virgin phone network led me to call CS with slightly more hope than usual. The answer was a little different to usual, it is still not available (SE9), but I was told it may be available in the near future as it is based upon a quota system, so I was advised that I should try again in a few weeks time.

I'm not sure if this "quota" system was just a cock and bull story, or is it possible that they don't have enough Caller Display enabled lines for all their customers?

nigelmclelland
30-07-2010, 13:13
Reading the updates from people that Caller Display is starting to appear in the backwaters of the Virgin phone network led me to call CS with slightly more hope than usual. The answer was a little different to usual, it is still not available (SE9), but I was told it may be available in the near future as it is based upon a quota system, so I was advised that I should try again in a few weeks time.

I'm not sure if this "quota" system was just a cock and bull story, or is it possible that they don't have enough Caller Display enabled lines for all their customers?

I am sure the "Quota" story is cock-and-bull. VM need to make sure the info they have in front of them is up to date as some switches are enabled but the CS staff dont know about it.

Peter_
30-07-2010, 13:53
I am sure the "Quota" story is cock-and-bull. VM need to make sure the info they have in front of them is up to date as some switches are enabled but the CS staff dont know about it.
How can it be a cock and bull story if the information is not available as you say, they will only go by what information is provided.;)

aardvark
30-07-2010, 21:13

Don't believe what they tell you at Customer Services. Ask if it's available in your area using the Virgin Media help and support forum. If they say 'yes' ring CS and tell them to switch caller display on.

Peter_
30-07-2010, 21:26
Don't believe what they tell you at Customer Services. Ask if it's available in your area using the Virgin Media help and support forum. If they say 'yes' ring CS and tell them to switch caller display on.
What happens if the support forum has got it wrong and the is no way that the caller display code can be added to the account due to that area still not having caller display.

nigelmclelland
03-08-2010, 11:53
What happens if the support forum has got it wrong and the is no way that the caller display code can be added to the account due to that area still not having caller display.

After enquiring if the CS rep was sure they were looking in the correct place to enable the caller display option, I would, after further enquiry except that as conclusive.

aardvark
03-08-2010, 12:17

When it comes to believing what Support Forum Team or CS believe to be right, my experience has always been that Support FT are always right.

If the SFT say it's Caller Display's enabled in your area, insist that CS add it. And, even if SFT are wrong, and the worst comes to the worst, VirginMedia will have to refund you if the service doesn't work.

AndyCalling
05-08-2010, 01:06
I just called again, after several months waiting to give them some room to get it done. Still not available in Southampton (Eastleigh network, SO31 postcode area). Darn.

I do believe I may end up the last person in the UK not to have Caller ID, going by the length of time other changes have needed in Southampton. We were still on analogue when the rest of the UK had forgotten it had ever existed. I'm still not sure the centre of Southampton has gone digital on cable even now... but I assume they must have.

nigelmclelland
06-08-2010, 09:19
I just called again, after several months waiting to give them some room to get it done. Still not available in Southampton (Eastleigh network, SO31 postcode area). Darn.

I do believe I may end up the last person in the UK not to have Caller ID, going by the length of time other changes have needed in Southampton. We were still on analogue when the rest of the UK had forgotten it had ever existed. I'm still not sure the centre of Southampton has gone digital on cable even now... but I assume they must have.

Andy, I have mentioned this to others before, Do what I did, Phone up and insist they turn on caller display. thats what I did and it worked dont take no for an answer. The CS reps are not always right, at worst it will cost you £2.00 let us know how you get on. Or try the online support team forum.

Peter_
06-08-2010, 09:58
Andy, I have mentioned this to others before, Do what I did, Phone up and insist they turn on caller display. thats what I did and it worked dont take no for an answer. The CS reps are not always right, at worst it will cost you £2.00 let us know how you get on. Or try the online support team forum.
As I said above they cannot add what is not available as the system will not allow them to, it is not as simple as flicking a switch, the account must allow the code to to be added and caller display must be available on the switch, no code no caller display and the is no way around it.

Even the Support Forum cannot make it work if it is not possible.

nigelmclelland
06-08-2010, 10:50
Sorry Masque ;-}

Peter_
06-08-2010, 12:13
Sorry Masque ;-}
I know they are working to enable on all switches so every can have caller display but they cannot all get it now and I understand the frustration when people are aware of other areas that can get it at the drop of a hat.

blueranger
07-08-2010, 21:52
As I said above they cannot add what is not available as the system will not allow them to, it is not as simple as flicking a switch, the account must allow the code to to be added and caller display must be available on the switch, no code no caller display and the is no way around it.

Even the Support Forum cannot make it work if it is not possible.

They managed to add it to my line here in BR1 when it's still not available!

I first rang 150 in February to request caller id and was told it was not yet available but to call back in a couple of months. Called back in May and a very helpful indian chap said it was available, enabled it and said it would be working in 24 hours. I couldn't get it to work, but my cli equipment was all ex BT. Bought a new "universal" cli display unit but that wouldn't work either. Reported a fault and the engineer I spoke to said it definitely was not available and it should not have been enabled on my account. He transferred me to customer services who removed it from my account and arranged a refund (it was appearing on my bill). They said I would receive notification when it was eventually available - still waiting.

Peter_
07-08-2010, 22:13
They managed to add it to my line here in BR1 when it's still not available!

I first rang 150 in February to request caller id and was told it was not yet available but to call back in a couple of months. Called back in May and a very helpful indian chap said it was available, enabled it and said it would be working in 24 hours. I couldn't get it to work, but my cli equipment was all ex BT. Bought a new "universal" cli display unit but that wouldn't work either. Reported a fault and the engineer I spoke to said it definitely was not available and it should not have been enabled on my account. He transferred me to customer services who removed it from my account and arranged a refund (it was appearing on my bill). They said I would receive notification when it was eventually available - still waiting.
It did not work and never could work also the system should not have allowed it and if was added by a Customer Services agent then it would have to removed by another Customer Services agent, if you were not transferred to them for its removal from by a Technical Support agent then it was never on the account.

blueranger
07-08-2010, 22:37
It did not work and never could work also the system should not have allowed it and if was added by a Customer Services agent then it would have to removed by another Customer Services agent, if you were not transferred to them for its removal from by a Technical Support agent then it was never on the account.

Yes, I understand that it could never have worked - it's still not available here in BR1.

The thing is that the system does not seem to prevent it being added even though it's not available, due to a mistake by the customer services agent. It was added to my account and I was billed for it despite it not being available.

Peter_
08-08-2010, 08:17
Yes, I understand that it could never have worked - it's still not available here in BR1.

The thing is that the system does not seem to prevent it being added even though it's not available, due to a mistake by the customer services agent. It was added to my account and I was billed for it despite it not being available.
It just shows that some agents will just add a product that will never work just to please the customer.

nigelmclelland
10-08-2010, 13:52
Could VM post a list of CLI enabled Telephone switches, or post codes that are able to have caller display? Or any schedules?

Digital Fanatic
10-08-2010, 21:36
Switches that are currently NOT enabled for caller display (ie. switch and cabs not compatible)

Switch ID Zone Region

BU1 Bournemouth
BN1 Brighton1
BO1 Bromley
DB1 Derby
HS1 Hersham
PT1 Portsmouth1
PT2 Portsmouth2

BenMcr
10-08-2010, 21:56
That list is out of date

For instance both Southampton and Wythenshawe both have Caller Display

The ones that still don't from that list are

BU1
BN1
BO1
DB1
HS1
PT1
PT2

GF1 and PK1 don't seem to exist

Digital Fanatic
10-08-2010, 22:06
That list is out of date

The ones that still don't from that list are

BU1
BN1
BO1
DB1
HS1
PT1
PT2

GF1 and PK1 don't seem to exist

Could do with it being updated... I'll edit my list now :)

nigelmclelland
11-08-2010, 13:11
Could do with it being updated... I'll edit my list now :)

Goood stuff DF, so if you DONT live in the above post codes, you CAN get caller display.

BenMcr
11-08-2010, 13:27
Goood stuff DF, so if you DONT live in the above post codes, you CAN get caller display.
They aren't postcodes, they are the switch IDs. For instance one of the three Portsmouth switches CAN get Caller Display, whilst they others can't (yet)

AndyCalling
16-08-2010, 20:28
That list is out of date

Not true. I'm from Southampton and I can't get it. I'm in SO31, and there's no CLI here. Unless it's been enabled in the last couple of weeks...

Has it? Do tell me it's true! :shocked:

BenMcr
16-08-2010, 20:44
I would try again as all the Southampton switches are showing as Caller Display enabled

nigelmclelland
17-08-2010, 11:27
Not true. I'm from Southampton and I can't get it. I'm in SO31, and there's no CLI here. Unless it's been enabled in the last couple of weeks...

Has it? Do tell me it's true! :shocked:

Let us know how you get on AndyCalling?

AndyCalling
17-08-2010, 19:35
Ooo, interesting! My area is a bit of a grey one though, Eastleigh has an odd border and it juts out into Southampton at one point. I am technically in Eastleigh, though in walking distance to the centre of Southampton and no-where near Eastleigh proper. The area is called Bursledon, I have an SO31 postcode and 'Southampton' in my address but I pay Eastleigh council tax.

I assume I'm on a Southampton switch, as anyone bar the council (and the NHS, annoyingly...) would consider me in Southampton including the Royal Mail.

Before I start insisting over the phone with some poor Indian, are we sure that we're reading from the same page here and that I'm on a Southampton switch?

I'm hanging on your word before I dial... could it really be true?

Digital Fanatic
17-08-2010, 19:56
Ooo, interesting! My area is a bit of a grey one though, Eastleigh has an odd border and it juts out into Southampton at one point. I am technically in Eastleigh, though in walking distance to the centre of Southampton and no-where near Eastleigh proper. The area is called Bursledon, I have an SO31 postcode and 'Southampton' in my address but I pay Eastleigh council tax.

I assume I'm on a Southampton switch, as anyone bar the council (and the NHS, annoyingly...) would consider me in Southampton including the Royal Mail.

Before I start insisting over the phone with some poor Indian, are we sure that we're reading from the same page here and that I'm on a Southampton switch?

I'm hanging on your word before I dial... could it really be true?

just ask when you get through, what switch you are on. If they confirm you are on Southampton, then order away :)

AndyCalling
17-08-2010, 19:58
Well, I just couldn't wait. I tried for like a minute, but I had to call.

I got a very helpful Scottish woman, and she checked the system to see if it's available for me...

...Drum roll...

...No!

Darn. So close and yet so far. So I ask her which switch I'm on and she tells me it's PT2.

Looking at your list Ben, PT2 is very much on there as one of the Dark Switches. I can confirm that there are many who think they live in Southampton who would dispute the idea that Southampton has full Caller Display coverage.

Ben, any chance you have a clue as to whether or not PT2 is close to enlightenment?

Edit: Reading the switch locations in above posts, I find I now I live in Portsmouth as well? I'm no-where near it! I can easily walk in to Southampton City Centre from here. If any Saints fans find out VM thinks they're Pompey supporters you'll lose a lot of business :)~

Next thing I know I'll be told I have to vote in Aberdeen...

Digital Fanatic
17-08-2010, 20:02
Well, I just couldn't wait. I tried for like a minute, but I had to call.

I got a very helpful Scottish woman, and she checked the system to see if it's available for me...

...Drum roll...

...No!

Darn. So close and yet so far. So I ask her which switch I'm on and she tells me it's PT2.

Looking at your list Ben, PT2 is very much on there as one of the Dark Switches. I can confirm that there are many who think they live in Southampton who would dispute the idea that Southampton has full Caller Display coverage.

Ben, any chance you have a clue as to whether or not PT2 is close to enlightenment?

Full Caller Display rollout is supposed to complete before the end of this year.

AndyCalling
17-08-2010, 20:16
So, there's still a chance I could win the prize for 'Last UK phone owner without Caller Display' then? I wonder if the bookies would take a tenner on that... :)~

Thanks for the help.

Waiting...

BenMcr
17-08-2010, 20:27
Edit: Reading the switch locations in above posts, I find I now I live in Portsmouth as well? I'm no-where near it! I can easily walk in to Southampton City Centre from here. If any Saints fans find out VM thinks they're Pompey supporters you'll lose a lot of business :)~

Next thing I know I'll be told I have to vote in Aberdeen...
How long have you been with Cable? If it's a while can you remember if it was Videotron or Nynex in Burseldon?

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

EDIT: I've just had a look and it looks like it was Nynex, who had the Portsmouth franchise rather than Videotron which had Southampton and Eastleigh

So that's why you are connected to a Portsmouth switch ;)

AndyCalling
17-08-2010, 20:35
Back then I used to live in the centre of southampton and that was Videotron. I suspect it was different where I am now as the centre took for ever to go digital (must have been the last area to go over by far, it was still analogue a couple of years back) and this area has been digital for some time I believe.

The wall socket says Cable & Wireless so what that means I don't know.

I notice that every other area without full Caller Display coverage has only one switch left to go, whilst 'Portsmouth' is right at the back again with two switches out of three still Dark, your chaps down here are not keen on overtime are they. Looks like I'm on for that 'Last Man Standing' award...

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Oops, you edited whilst I was posting...

Southampton, certainly. Eastleigh I'll accept, though that's far from accurate. Portsmouth? Not even close. I'd have to catch a train to get there, and no-one's that rich these days. It makes no sense, I'm almost starting to think they wired me up wrongly some how except that makes little sense either.

BenMcr
17-08-2010, 20:48
Southampton, certainly. Eastleigh I'll accept, though that's far from accurate. Portsmouth? Not even close. I'd have to catch a train to get there, and no-one's that rich these days. It makes no sense, I'm almost starting to think they wired me up wrongly some how except that makes little sense either.
Blame the DTI then. They drew up the Franchise maps and awarded them to different companies

Between the Itchen and Hamble the Southampton and Eastleigh franchise takes in 'official' Southampton i.e Woolston, Sholing, Thornhill, and then Hedge End and Botley (my home village ;) ) for some reason.

Burseldon is covered by the 'Solent' franchise which goes from there all along the coast to Gosport and then Portsmouth and Waterlooville

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Look the area up on Google Earth, it actually does make some sense if you look at where the built areas are.

There is a green area and administrative break between Woolston/Sholing and Netley/Hamble(le-rice)/Bursledon

AndyCalling
17-08-2010, 20:50
That's Bursledon, by the way :)~

Oh, right, I thought it would be a Civil Servant that did it, ruddy Civil Servants, trust them to... wait a minute, I'm a Civil Servant... ahem, I'm sure it was a well considered and balanced approach to the matter. Unfortunately, I can hardly expect Pompey VM engineers to work at Southampton speeds. I'm sure they'll figure it out eventually :)~

lemarsh
21-08-2010, 11:24
So, there's still a chance I could win the prize for 'Last UK phone owner without Caller Display' then? I wonder if the bookies would take a tenner on that... :)

think I could match you - been waiting around 11 years (in the days of Nynex) - just rang up, and still not enabled. Been told I am on the HS1 switch (Hersham based on above) - and still not date when it will be available.

Waiting as well..........

Guy T
29-08-2010, 20:37
Had an engineer around for a dead samsung v+ and asked him about caller display in Derby - he said the ex Nynex areas cannot be upgraded without massive renewals and it wouldn't be done!
I know engineers talk complete @rse from time to time but ? - are all the areas left ex Nynex ?????:shocked:

BenMcr
29-08-2010, 21:10
Well Manchester was an ex-Nynex area and it's been done

Rao Vantika
30-08-2010, 13:53
Had an engineer around for a dead samsung v+ and asked him about caller display in Derby - he said the ex Nynex areas cannot be upgraded without massive renewals and it wouldn't be done!
I know engineers talk complete @rse from time to time but ? - are all the areas left ex Nynex ?????:shocked:

Part of Brighton still hasn't been done and that's ex Nynex.

lemarsh
30-08-2010, 14:18
Hersham is Nynex

Wallace
30-08-2010, 17:23
Surprise, surprise. I have just noticed caller display IS working here in South Manchester (Timperley)!

Really very pleased! Not sure how long it's been enabled but at least it is working!

cuggle
03-09-2010, 14:35
my caller display has always worked until this week, now it only wants to show the caller ID when it feels like it, which is rarely now!! no idea why it's started playing up, called CS and they say there is no fault

Digital Fanatic
03-09-2010, 15:53
my caller display has always worked until this week, now it only wants to show the caller ID when it feels like it, which is rarely now!! no idea why it's started playing up, called CS and they say there is no fault

Have you tried another caller display unit/phone? If it's intermittant, then it is either the 'phone/display unit or it's a problem in your cabinet.

Felim_Doyle
03-09-2010, 17:54
my caller display has always worked until this week, now it only wants to show the caller ID when it feels like it, which is rarely now!! no idea why it's started playing up, called CS and they say there is no faultHave you changed or added any other equipment on that line? If you've added another 'phone, for example, you may have exceeded the RENs for the line. Also, some Caller Id. units have a two position switch on them for when you have more than one Caller Id. unit or Caller Display 'phone on the same line.

Peter_
03-09-2010, 19:15
As Digital Fanatic says you really need to check it works with another caller display enabled phone then you if it is still the same you can go back to technical support and tell that the is an issue and they will probably send a technician.

alex30
07-09-2010, 06:20
it is not the money issue but the other tecnical issue from the vendor

Peter_
07-09-2010, 06:23
it is not the money issue but the other tecnical issue from the vendor
What does the above actually mean.?

nigelmclelland
21-09-2010, 11:29
We must surley be getting close to the point where the whole Virginmedia network is "Caller ID" enabled? Wonder where we are up to?

BenMcr
21-09-2010, 11:42
We must surley be getting close to the point where the whole Virginmedia network is "Caller ID" enabled? Wonder where we are up to?
I posted the list of the switches still to be enabled back on the 10/08 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35070817-post142.html

Everywhere else can get it

nigelmclelland
21-09-2010, 11:55
I posted the list of the switches still to be enabled back on the 10/08 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35070817-post142.html

Everywhere else can get it

Yes thank you Ben, It is now 21/09. Are you saying NO more has been done?

BenMcr
21-09-2010, 12:00
As far as I'm aware at this stage no more switches have been enabled.

Remember there was no timescale given past '2010' and by the looks of things, the ones that are left are likely the most technically challenging to enable for Caller Display.

nigelmclelland
21-09-2010, 17:35
As far as I'm aware at this stage no more switches have been enabled.

Remember there was no timescale given past '2010' and by the looks of things, the ones that are left are likely the most technically challenging to enable for Caller Display.

Thanks Ben, you are a Gent! Keep us informed won't you?

Felim_Doyle
23-09-2010, 11:37
How do I know which switch I'm on. I'm in Aylesbury HP21 and, for TV and broadband purposes, I believe that counts as Watford.

How can I tell if I can now get CLI / Caller Id.?

nigelmclelland
23-09-2010, 14:45
How do I know which switch I'm on. I'm in Aylesbury HP21 and, for TV and broadband purposes, I believe that counts as Watford.

How can I tell if I can now get CLI / Caller Id.?

Just phone 150 from your Virgin landline and they will set it up for you its £2.00 PCM.:angel:

Let us know how you get on .......

Felim_Doyle
23-09-2010, 16:22
The question was, is it available to me yet? I have been told, going back as far as the original Cable & Wireless days, then NTL and, a few month ago, Virgin Media, that the facility is available in my area only to find that it isn't.

BenMcr
23-09-2010, 16:38
Yes it's available in Aylesbury

lemarsh
23-09-2010, 18:27
Yes it's available in Aylesbury

any idea about HS1 (Hersham)

Felim_Doyle
23-09-2010, 18:42
Ta! I'll see if it's working already as I had subscribed in the past even though it wasn't previously available. Otherwise, I'll call 150 and get it added.

BenMcr
23-09-2010, 19:49
any idea about HS1 (Hersham)
I refer you back to the post I made on 10/08/10 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35070817-post142.html

which I said a few posts above had not changed http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35095332-post173.html

garcher18
24-09-2010, 11:51
So by going by your list (back in the day) Portsmouth should have caller ID?

Also, is it compatible with all dect phones that support caller ID?

BenMcr
24-09-2010, 12:40
So by going by your list (back in the day) Portsmouth should have caller ID?

Also, is it compatible with all dect phones that support caller ID?
No, because the list I posted has two Portsmouth Switches that aren't currently compatible (PT1 and PT2)

garcher18
24-09-2010, 13:09
Ah ha, ok, thanks for the clarification.

georgepomone
24-09-2010, 23:00
Got an update from Virgin Sofa today that says caller display is free from the end of September. This is the start of a rollout to upgrade the parts that are not on at the minute.

Felim_Doyle
25-09-2010, 01:42
Any idea when Aylesbury (HP21) / Watford was upgraded for Caller Id. / CLI? None of the other functionality seems to have changed (e.g. codes for call divert are still the same) and VM have not informed us of the availability of the facility. You'd think they'd want to sell it to customers.

---------- Post added at 01:28 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

George,

How do I get a seat on the sofa?

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 ----------

According to http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/004578-Residential-Cable-October-v3.pdf:-

Caller Display £2.00

Peter_
25-09-2010, 07:50
Got an update from Virgin Sofa today that says caller display is free from the end of September. This is the start of a rollout to upgrade the parts that are not on at the minute.
That as with everything new with Virginmedia is just the start of the rollout and it will take time for all customers to get the upgrade.

nigelmclelland
25-09-2010, 11:17

So does that mean caller ID wont appear on my bill from the start of November?? Can you provide a link to the "Virgin sofa" that mentions this?

Ta,

Nigel.

georgepomone
25-09-2010, 14:09
Sorry was at work. According to the thread on the "Sofa Forums" the charge for customers already on will stop in February. As you would expect this hasn't made people very happy. Just search for Virgin Media Sofa and you can see the thread in the General News.
http://www.virginmediasofa.com/

vanman
25-09-2010, 17:52
You may remember we ran a Free Caller Display trial earlier this year. Well the great news is that we’ll now offer Caller Display to all of our Home Phone (cable) customers for free!
The roll out of Free Caller Display will start at the end of September 2010 and is expected to be completed during March 2011.
As part of rolling this out to all customers, where Caller Display is not currently available, we’ll make appropriate upgrades to the network and also ensure current provisioning issues are fixed.
What about customers who are currently paying for the service?
We’ll also be giving Caller Display for free to those customers that currently pay for it – we’ll do this during Feb 2011.
they ya go

Felim_Doyle
26-09-2010, 07:26
Virgin Media Sofa requests a username and password. How do I sign up?

BenMcr
26-09-2010, 10:58
Virgin Media Sofa requests a username and password. How do I sign up?
You don't. It's invitation only

Felim_Doyle
26-09-2010, 11:14
That's what I thought. :(

"I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

BenMcr
26-09-2010, 11:20
That's what I thought. :(I believe the invitations are based on reponses to the NPS surveys they send out, so make sure, they have a current contact e-mail address for you and that you fill them in when you get them and you may get invited to it

nigelmclelland
26-09-2010, 13:04
I believe the invitations are based on reponses to the NPS surveys they send out, so make sure, they have a current contact e-mail address for you and that you fill them in when you get them and you may get invited to it

When I was with BT, you had to sign up to a free package called "Privacy at home" to qualify for the free caller display, part of the t&c was that you had to make a certain amount of chargeable calls per month or they would charge you for the caller display feature.

Will this, or something similar be the case with Virginmedia, Is there any plans to put anything like this in the small print I wonder?

Can I just phone up 150 and ask to be a member of VirginmediaSofa.com?

BenMcr
26-09-2010, 13:16
From what has been said Free Caller Display is just that. If you have a line you'll get it

Also Invitation only is just that too - you can't ask to join it!

AndyCalling
28-09-2010, 17:59
They may not be 100% correct, they say the roll out will be completed by March 2011 but we already know CLID will be enabled for all exchanges by the end of this year. I think th Sofa People need to check their calendars...

BenMcr
28-09-2010, 18:05
They may not be 100% correct, they say the roll out will be completed by March 2011 but we already know CLID will be enabled for all exchanges by the end of this year. I think th Sofa People need to check their calendars...
There is a difference between enabling an exchange for caller display and customers on that exchange getting it free

Although the Sofa people are not wrong - there is a small delay to the exhange enablement programme, so unfortunately it won't complete by the end of the year as originally planned

nigelmclelland
30-09-2010, 16:15
What are the small delay details Ben?

Peter_
30-09-2010, 17:27
What are the small delay details Ben?
It will probably coincide with the completion of the rollout in March 2011.

Felim_Doyle
30-09-2010, 17:36
So if I sign up now and pay £2 per month for the next six months, it will automatically become free by April. Correct?

If that's the case I may go ahead and do it. I've been waiting an awful long time for this feature to become available (maybe twelve years or so).

Peter_
30-09-2010, 17:45
So if I sign up now and pay £2 per month for the next six months, it will automatically become free by April. Correct?

If that's the case I may go ahead and do it. I've been waiting an awful long time for this feature to become available (maybe twelve years or so).
Is it enabled in your area yet.

Digital Fanatic
30-09-2010, 17:46

You can get it free now, if you are just adding it as a new feature, as long as your telephone switch is CLI enabled. :)

Peter_
30-09-2010, 17:47
You can get it free now, if you are just adding it as a new feature, as long as your telephone switch is CLI enabled. :)
Can we get it in Liverpool then.

Digital Fanatic
30-09-2010, 17:58
Can we get it in Liverpool then.

Caller display, yeah... I've always had it. All Telewest areas had caller display for years.

Staff won't get the discount yet though. :(

Peter_
30-09-2010, 17:59
Caller display, yeah... I've always had it. All Telewest areas had caller display for years.

Staff won't get the discount yet though. :(
I meant for free for the area which is good news, and I know that we have to pay until next year.;)

Digital Fanatic
30-09-2010, 18:01
I meant for free for the area which is good news, and I know that we have to pay until next year.;)

:D

Yeah if a customer adds it as a new feature then they get it free. Just need to make sure the Customer Care agent adds the correct code. :)

Felim_Doyle
30-09-2010, 18:13
Well I was told on here that it is now available in Aylesbury but I have been told that several times over the past twelve years or so. It remains to be seen. I'm out of the country until Tuesday but I'll be giving CS a call when I get back and maybe this time it really will work.

I had to divert my phone to my mobile the other day to find out where a long-time persistent call was coming from (number 'not known' on 1471). It turns out it's from Papua New Guinea! Head hunters or telemarketers?

Jon T
30-09-2010, 19:22
I've just phoned 150 and been told caller ID isn't available in my area, postcode area is NG18 and Virgin area ref no is 30.

BenMcr
04-10-2010, 13:56
Got an update from Virgin Sofa today that says caller display is free from the end of September. This is the start of a rollout to upgrade the parts that are not on at the minute.Unfortunately Free Caller Display will now not be happening - there are technical issues that has prevented it being introduced across the cable phone systems.

:(

nigelmclelland
04-10-2010, 14:16
Unfortunately Free Caller Display will now not be happening - there are technical issues that has prevented it being introduced across the cable phone systems.

What's the technical issues preventing this? Would it be the lost revenue by any chance? Surley one would just stop charging for it - end of? Or has soneone had thier fingers rapped for letting the cat out of the bag?

Flyboy
04-10-2010, 14:20
Unfortunately Free Caller Display will now not be happening - there are technical issues that has prevented it being introduced across the cable phone systems.

I know I'm not an expert in these things, but I can't imagine any technical reason not to give it for free. The only reason I can see why it would be charged for is for increased profit, not a technical reason.

AndyCalling
05-10-2010, 00:39
My guess is that it is simply the case that the exchanges that have yet to be enabled for CLID will never be upgraded. I suspect this is what BenMcr means. Why the rest of you can't get it for free? Because those of us who don't get the full advertised package would all be due a reduced line rental I suspect.

I knew it. I'll be the last phone owner in Britain without CLID. Do I get a badge? :-(

Digital Fanatic
05-10-2010, 00:48
My guess is that it is simply the case that the exchanges that have yet to be enabled for CLID will never be upgraded. I suspect this is what BenMcr means. Why the rest of you can't get it for free? Because those of us who don't get the full advertised package would all be due a reduced line rental I suspect.

I knew it. I'll be the last phone owner in Britain without CLID. Do I get a badge? :-(

AFAIK the switch upgrades are still happening, but it's the FREE part that has been dropped.

All we have been told is it's a technical issue, that would impact too many departments, so the rollout of Free Caller Display is suspended indefinately.

nigelmclelland
05-10-2010, 08:37

AndyCalling! Do you really think the last few exchanges cannot be upgraded? Wonder if BenMcr can keep us informed or at least shed a bit more light on the issue?

Does anyone think BT will be better option all round than Virgin are now once they roll out thier fibre optic network? BT has a better telephone network anyway (In my opinion).

Guy T
05-10-2010, 13:49
AndyCalling! Do you really think the last few exchanges cannot be upgraded? Wonder if BenMcr can keep us informed or at least shed a bit more light on the issue?

As I said a few posts back - an engineer who visited recently for a box swap was adamant that Derby could not be updated without massive investment so it just wouldn't be done!

@AndyCalling - so no you won't be the last person to get CLID - I will :p:

AndyCalling
05-10-2010, 21:48
AFAIK the switch upgrades are still happening, but it's the FREE part that has been dropped.

All we have been told is it's a technical issue, that would impact too many departments, so the rollout of Free Caller Display is suspended indefinately.

I would like to believe you, I really would. The problem is, the combination of promises and delays over many years with the 'problem' cable areas (ie. largely Nynex and Videotron I believe) when trying to go digital and when trying to get CLID etc. have coloured my perspective. Not VM's fault, granted, but they have inherited the problems and immediately been hit by the general economic nightmare that seems popular right now.

Thing is, I can't think of any technical issue 'that would impact too many departments' which would affect the billing strategy in this way.

My experience with the exchanges in my area is that all attempts to provide modern features eventually (and often after much effort, according to the cable company of the moment) lead to the conclusion that it's simply too expensive to do. I have no doubt we will go through the same rigmarole with the next cable company that comes along as well so I'm not blaming VM.

Can you think of any other likely reasoning behind this technical issue? I'm really hoping you can because I want to believe, I actually caught myself thinking that this time it would be different because it sounded so definate on the forums. I feel silly now.

BenMcr
06-10-2010, 22:53
All the remaining switches will still be upgraded for CLID

Jon T
07-10-2010, 08:53
All the remaining switches will still be upgraded for CLID

So is Mansfield NG18 CLID capable, or have CS given me the wrong info?

BTW, when I asked for the switch ID he didn't have a clue what I was talking about, just said "you're on the Mansfield exchange".

BenMcr
07-10-2010, 09:46
The set of switches not enabled have been posted by me and DF a few times now

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35070812-post141.html

Jon T
07-10-2010, 19:06
The set of switches not enabled have been posted by me and DF a few times now

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35070812-post141.html

Well, tonight makes it three times i've rang, and three times they said its not available.

I've given up now, it's would be nice to have, but not essential.

vanman
07-10-2010, 20:03
update
The trial customers who were provisioned with Free Caller Display will continue to have this feature at no cost.
All customers that currently pay for this feature will unfortunately have to continue to pay for it.
All customers that want Caller Display will be subject to standard charges for this feature

vinnyutd6899
08-10-2010, 23:55
Ben i live in the m22 area of Wythenshawe do you know if it now has caller display available?

nigelmclelland
09-10-2010, 22:59
Ben i live in the m22 area of Wythenshawe do you know if it now has caller display available?

YES Manchester has Caller ID. Can everyone please check by phoning 150 from your virgin landline before posting here? Ben has posted a list of enabled switches on a number of occasions.:o:

Jon T
10-10-2010, 07:33
YES Manchester has Caller ID. Can everyone please check by phoning 150 from your virgin landline before posting here? Ben has posted a list of enabled switches on a number of occasions.:o:

Except as I posted a few days ago, customer services have told me three times that it's not available in my area.

Now either Ben's list of switches that don't do caller ID is incomplete, Virgin's computer system is pants or customer services are looking in the wrong place.

vinnyutd6899
11-10-2010, 12:41

No need to get arsy :rolleyes:
As it is just rang up again an was told that caller display is still not available on my switch :confused: area 20 m22 postcode.

nigelmclelland
11-10-2010, 14:31
No need to get arsy :rolleyes:
As it is just rang up again an was told that caller display is still not available on my switch :confused: area 20 m22 postcode.

Sorry, I am not getting arsy, it is just a case of reading previous posts as most of the points raised have been covered further back in this thread ;)

Jon T
11-10-2010, 17:16
Sorry, I am not getting arsy, it is just a case of reading previous posts as most of the points raised have been covered further back in this thread ;)

That might be the case if the list of switches not enabled that have been posted agreed with customer services responses, but they don't.

BenMcr
12-10-2010, 10:31
or customer services are looking in the wrong place.It's most likely either looking in the wrong place or not checking at all.

The list I posted was checked against the tool Customer Services use to confirm that all the other switches are enabled

Jon T
12-10-2010, 11:45
It's most likely either looking in the wrong place or not checking at all.

The list I posted was checked against the tool Customer Services use to confirm that all the other switches are enabled

I think that's the most likely reason as well!

Felim_Doyle
14-10-2010, 13:29
The trial customers who were provisioned with Free Caller Display will continue to have this feature at no cost.
All customers that currently pay for this feature will unfortunately have to continue to pay for it.
All customers that want Caller Display will be subject to standard charges for this featureI've followed this thread with great interest from post one so I don't think I've missed anything. However, can someone please explain why there has been a free trial of this service and why it has, as yet, not resulted in making this service free to existing users of the service or those taking it up now?

BenMcr
14-10-2010, 14:05
I've followed this thread with great interest from post one so I don't think I've missed anything. However, can someone please explain why there has been a free trial of this service and why it has, as yet, not resulted in making this service free to existing users of the service or those taking it up now?
It was planned to roll it out to all customers, but due to techincal issues had to be cancelled

Guy T
14-10-2010, 18:35
Ben / DF

As we are down to only 7 switches remaining to be upgraded is it possible that you can update this thread when there has been an upgrade rather than calling CS all the time?

BU1 Bournemouth
BN1 Brighton1
BO1 Bromley
DB1 Derby
HS1 Hersham
PT1 Portsmouth1
PT2 Portsmouth2

Thanks

Felim_Doyle
15-10-2010, 13:13
It was planned to roll it out to all customers, but due to techincal issues had to be cancelledI hope by "cancelled" you mean postponed! :(

Were one or two of the exchanges "beyond repair" so to speak? Mind you, that wouldn't explain why the rest of us can't have it anyway.

BenMcr
15-10-2010, 15:13
I hope by "cancelled" you mean postponed! :(
At the moment I mean cancelled

Were one or two of the exchanges "beyond repair" so to speak? Mind you, that wouldn't explain why the rest of us can't have it anyway.As I said earlier, all exchanges will be upgraded to support caller display

AndyCalling
16-10-2010, 00:01
The Nynex and Videotron exchanges were really ancient tech it appears. So old they've become listed buildings. This means VM won't be able to upgrade them, but we have the consolation of being able to say we're on a classic, old school exchange.

Well, perhaps not. There are clearly major challenges in handling our exchanges though, perhaps they were hardened during the cold war and VM are currently cutting through the concrete and lead. Whatever, I would be prepared for the long haul.

Still, one day the problem equipment will wear out and will have to be replaced so we'll get CLID eventually. You can be assured it will happen but patience is an advantage in the cable game. Often, many years worth.

Felim_Doyle
16-10-2010, 12:49
According to everything posted here to date, the Aylesbury exchange has been upgraded and I can now, at last, have Caller Id./CLI. However, I was always under the impression that Aylesbury was on a Nynex (valve and relay) exchange. If not Nynex, what else might it be?

Digital Fanatic
16-10-2010, 13:13
According to everything posted here to date, the Aylesbury exchange has been upgraded and I can now, at last, have Caller Id./CLI. However, I was always under the impression that Aylesbury was on a Nynex (valve and relay) exchange. If not Nynex, what else might it be?

you are not ex-NYNEX, you are Ex-Bell-Cable-Media (L)

Felim_Doyle
16-10-2010, 14:05
Oops! Sorry, I confused my terminology. Yes I'm ex-Bell-Cable-Media -> Cable & Wireless -> NTL (not sure what your "L" in parentheses meant). Actually, Bell-Cable-Media never ran the service here. They were taken over by C&W during the cable laying phase and there was a pause of several months before work resumed.

What I meant to ask is what kind of exchange am/was I on (e.g. Nortel, Siemens, System X, System Y etc.)? Which are the ones that can't be upgraded? Technical curiosity as much as anything else.

BenMcr
16-10-2010, 14:11
I think it's System X switches that have yet to be upgraded

Digital Fanatic
16-10-2010, 14:32
Oops! Sorry, I confused my terminology. Yes I'm ex-Bell-Cable-Media -> Cable & Wireless -> NTL (not sure what your "L" in parentheses meant). Actually, Bell-Cable-Media never ran the service here. They were taken over by C&W during the cable laying phase and there was a pause of several months before work resumed.

What I meant to ask is what kind of exchange am/was I on (e.g. Nortel, Siemens, System X, System Y etc.)? Which are the ones that can't be upgraded? Technical curiosity as much as anything else.

Yeah, I believe it is system x as BenMcr says. The (L) is an internal thing, but it's second nature for me to quote it! :D It's the database you are on, called L Machine :)

Felim_Doyle
16-10-2010, 17:45
Now I have to know what the 'ell the "L" means. Am I being classified somehow by being on the "L" machine? I wouldn't want to be on the "Loser" database or "Low priority" list. :(

I know that a few years ago when I went from using the STB for broadband to having a stand-alone cable modem my account had to be moved to a different billing system. This resulted in the loss of a lot of my telephone facilities (e.g. calll divert, call waiting etc.) which were restored once I realised and logged a fault but I also lost my dial-up account and a number if facilities that went with it which I have never got back and must complain about again.

Digital Fanatic
16-10-2010, 17:59
Now I have to know what the 'ell the "L" means. Am I being classified somehow by being on the "L" machine? I wouldn't want to be on the "Loser" database or "Low priority" list. :(

I know that a few years ago when I went from using the STB for broadband to having a stand-alone cable modem my account had to be moved to a different billing system. This resulted in the loss of a lot of my telephone facilities (e.g. calll divert, call waiting etc.) which were restored once I realised and logged a fault but I also lost my dial-up account and a number if facilities that went with it which I have never got back and must complain about again.

ha ha, no it has no real meaning other than it's a internal name for the Ex-Bell-Cable-Media database :)

Yeah, you would have been moved from the old NTL billing system on to the Telewest ICOMS database.

Felim_Doyle
17-10-2010, 09:42
ha ha, no it has no real meaning other than it's a internal name for the Ex-Bell-Cable-Media database :)So you say but now I'll never be sure if I'm 'marked' or not. :disturbd:

Yeah, you would have been moved from the old NTL billing system on to the Telewest ICOMS database.With dire consequences. oops:

nigelmclelland
18-10-2010, 08:56
Ben, Will any BT compatible caller display equipment work on the Virgin network once this "Caller ID" update is complete? Or is there a standard spec to look for on new equipment?

BenMcr
18-10-2010, 10:07
All recent caller display phones should work, I think if they were made before around 2000 they have to be 'dual network' or something

Felim_Doyle
26-10-2010, 17:51
I called CS on 150 today to enquire about having an additional telephone line installed. While I was on, I asked about Caller Display/Caller Id./CLI and was told that the system was showing it as available in my area and that the service was now *free*!!! I asked to have it enabled on my existing line and was told that it should be up and running by "this time tomorrow". After I finished the call, I connected a Caller Display phone to the line and lo and behold, it was working already!!! It has only taken about twelve years! :(

:) :D :tu: :dmonk: :beer: :clap: :hyper: :cleader:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/02/74.jpg

lemarsh
26-10-2010, 18:43
Based on your good news, thought I would try my luck..............and no (SH1 - Hersham).

Also, the lady said that the completion of CLI had been put back to the end of NEXT year, not this year. Did clarify she meant next year not this year, and she was adamant that it had been delayed.

Anyone in the know care to comment, hopefully this is not true.

nigelmclelland
27-10-2010, 08:20
I called CS on 150 today to enquire about having an additional telephone line installed. While I was on, I asked about Caller Display/Caller Id./CLI and was told that the system was showing it as available in my area and that the service was now *free*!!! I asked to have it enabled on my existing line and was told that it should be up and running by "this time tomorrow". After I finished the call, I connected a Caller Display phone to the line and lo and behold, it was working already!!! It has only taken about twelve years! :(

:) :D :tu: :dmonk: :beer: :clap: :hyper: :cleader:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/02/74.jpg

I find that strange in so much as BenMcr has told us that the deployment of "FREE" CLI has been withdrawn. Hummmmm...... I will check this out by phoning myself to avoid any propaganda!

nigelmclelland
27-10-2010, 17:34
I find that strange in so much as BenMcr has told us that the deployment of "FREE" CLI has been withdrawn. Hummmmm...... I will check this out by phoning myself to avoid any propaganda!

Well well, Just phoned CS and the girl informed me that Caller display IS now a FREE feature and anyone paying for caller display will automatically cease paying for the service in the near future!

Keep us informed................ sounds as if VM are starting to keep their finger on the pulse.