PDA

View Full Version : Getting installed

tripple
27-05-2007, 22:07
We are hoping to get Virgin cable at our house next year [student time yay] and was just wondering if you veterans of the service could give me a few pointers.

Firstly, the cable checker on the website says we can get cable [in Exeter heavitree area - our address was on the list under the postcode] when I was last at the house [which was built recently] I saw BT lines coming from the ground but no cable lines, is the checker ever wrong?

Next thing, obviously we need to book installation, how long is the lead time on this, I know it will depend on the area but would still be good to know if its worth arranging it during the summer for when I get back.

How far will they cut up the ground [tarmac parking spaces in front of the houses] in order to put in the cable lines? Also, if they need to cut the ground is it extra?

I hope this is an okay place to post, great forum guys, I am sure I will become more active when I am on cable full time.

Quam256
27-05-2007, 22:29
Welcome.

If the house is servicable,cable is run tothe property from a connection point somewere in the street.You will probably find a plastic or iron point just outside your property on the public footpath or you may share next doors if it is down as shared.Lead times.......how long is a piece of string ?,it all depends on how busy they are.There is no extra charge for the outside work,if its grass they slice it ,if its slabs they lift them and if its concrete or tarmac they cut it.If it is a shared drive with other properties they will need to get permission from the other owners and if you have a landlord make sure they are happy for the work to go ahead.

tripple
27-05-2007, 22:48
Thankfully my freinds parents own the house, so permission for work should not be an issue. Thanks for the words, guess I will just have to wait and see in regards to installation.

Additionaly, we only have a 10 month let, has any one else been in this situation before? Can you get monthly or short contracts?

Druchii
28-05-2007, 03:14
Thankfully my freinds parents own the house, so permission for work should not be an issue. Thanks for the words, guess I will just have to wait and see in regards to installation.

Additionaly, we only have a 10 month let, has any one else been in this situation before? Can you get monthly or short contracts?
If you ring them up to arrange it you could probably arrange something.

I think they used to do student contracts of 9months anyway.

And, you can cancel after 10months and just pay the last 2months service if you really need to.

Sidewinder
28-05-2007, 08:30
right mate, im been honest here, not all the time is our checker on the website right, always ring our Cable sales team to find out if it is serviceable with all of our cable products, as we have "grey zones", what this is, is where the cabling is only able to handle one product, for instance it is analogue you will only get the telephone line as far as i know

08458407777 and that will get you through to us, just put your number in when it asks for it and if your not sure the telephone area code and it should put you through to cable sales, hope that helps :)

tripple
28-05-2007, 09:47
I dont supose you know a non 0845 number or a number you can call free from virgin mobiles from? Seen as I will get charged for an 0845 call. [which is a rip imo]

Sidewinder
29-05-2007, 12:15
from one of our flyers around the office i have you a free number (Y)

0800 052 1939

hope that helps :)

on in an hour!
29-05-2007, 12:29
I dont supose you know a non 0845 number or a number you can call free from virgin mobiles from? Seen as I will get charged for an 0845 call. [which is a rip imo]
0800 052 4000 will get you thro to sales.welcome and good luck.;)