PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 'n' Nasty Supermarkets

Julian
22-05-2007, 09:33
This Article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6676345.stm) and the programme tonight should be a bit of an eye opener as to what really goes on at your favourite supermarket. :disturbd:

They treat their customers with the same disdain as their suppliers. :rolleyes:

Delta Whiskey
22-05-2007, 09:49
That's why I went back to my local suppliers for fresh meat, they are only slightly more expensive that Tesco's but I know they have fresh deliveries everyday and turnover all their stock in a day or two.

Stuart
22-05-2007, 09:52
Years ago, we had a newsagents shop at the New Covent Garden Market (the one where they sell fruit and veg to greengrocers, not the Old Covent Garden in the Strand).

One of the older sellers there used to live near us. Now, having been selling Fruit and Veg to the trade for more than 30 years, he knew his stuff.

He lived near us, and we often used to see him in our local sainsburys.. He said to us then that while the Fruit and Veg was actually fairly fresh (he did say fairly), Sainsburys were generous with their grades. What they classed as Grade "A", an honest greengrocer would class as "D" or "E".

I can't say that I've had too many problems with out of date stuff from them, but our local conveniance store, while conveniant, frequently sells out of date goods (I have frequently got stale bread from there, for instance).

punky
22-05-2007, 11:00
Twice Tesco online delivered stuff out of date. It was the same item so it was obviously on the shelf and didn't pull it.

Other than that, can't remember any probs, but makes you wonder :eek: I'm not sure locals are any better though. Profits are tight, business so fierce, and livelyhoods at stake, i'd say locals would be more likely to cheat the system than a mega-company like Tesco or Sainsbury's.

Xaccers
22-05-2007, 11:13
Tesco deliveries tend to pick the oldest stock to ship out to customers, gets it out of the store and ensures it's sold rather than going to waste.

Ramrod
22-05-2007, 13:26
Tesco deliveries tend to pick the oldest stock to ship out to customers, gets it out of the store and ensures it's sold rather than going to waste.Thats why we don't use the delivery/internet shopping system anymore...

ASDA are really bad with their foods. We have often notced that chicken we have bought from there is stinking one ot two days before it's use by date! We freeze it and take it back to them...:rolleyes:

Saaf_laandon_mo
22-05-2007, 13:44
ASDA are really bad with their foods. We have often notced that chicken we have bought from there is stinking one ot two days before it's use by date! We freeze it and take it back to them...:rolleyes:

my neighbour found a condom in a frozen chicken bought at asda a few weeks ago!:shocking:

jkat
22-05-2007, 15:37
my neighbour found a condom in a frozen chicken bought at asda a few weeks ago!:shocking:

lolol well at least the believe in safe sex or a feather plucker! :D

but seriously i returned a chicken because it stunk to high heaven! they never even apologised. i do not shop at tescos no more, the kitchens are filthy, shelves always missing stock, value items not priced but placed along side of simmilar goods so that when u go to checkout they are the same price as the more expensive equivalent, some of the staff are rude, cannot get to shelves because of shelf packers with trolleys, food in the canteen is freezing cold. i cannot see why it works out cheaper when i now have to travel 4+ miles to shop??

Xaccers
22-05-2007, 15:40
My problem with the local Tesco is their layout. It just doesn't work.
Oh how I miss the Leighton Buzzard Tesco *sigh*

Gareth
22-05-2007, 15:53
Tesco deliveries tend to pick the oldest stock to ship out to customers, gets it out of the store and ensures it's sold rather than going to waste.Our local Tesco used to be like that, but they have dramatically improved things and now we don't have that problem any more. I think enough people had moaned at them demanding refunds that it forced them to rethink. Maybe it's only improving on a branch-per-branch basis, but luckily our branch has upped its game.

Delta Whiskey
22-05-2007, 18:14

Was it unused, might have been a chicken plucker about... :D

TheDaddy
22-05-2007, 22:00
Thats why we don't use the delivery/internet shopping system anymore...

We used to take a lot of deliveries to ASDA, one of the drivers came back and told us they left the freezer open in the distribution centre and all the food for dozens of shops defrosted, apparently when the manager was told he said just load the lorries as normal :sick:

dcclanuk
22-05-2007, 22:04
Just watched the program.... incase u are veggie like me and think it dont affect us, well my mate works in ASDA and some time ago he was telling me that he hated working in the bakery section since no one follows the rules such as washing hands etc....:Yikes:

Worried to see Katsouri's on the show... its near my house and i even know some people working there:Yikes::Yikes::Yikes:

pedantic
22-05-2007, 22:07
Anyone fancy a ready meal ?

Saaf_laandon_mo
22-05-2007, 22:36
Was it unused, might have been a chicken plucker about... :D

Adds a totally new dimension to the question, "Which came first? the chicken or the.......?"

hehhehehehhe

Alien
23-05-2007, 08:54
Tesco deliveries tend to pick the oldest stock to ship out to customers, gets it out of the store and ensures it's sold rather than going to waste.
I suppose that could be it, but I'd be more inclined to think it was down to lazy shelf stackers not rotating the stock [moving stock that's already out to the front & putting the newer stuff to the back], so that after a while you get old stuff on a shelf & if someone doesn't spot it & that section/shelf is partly emptied there'll only be old/out-of-date stuff left. I did some shelf stacking at a local Tesco for a while & was actually praised for rotating the stock by a department manager. When asked who'd told me to do it, I just replied that I thought it was common sense to do it.

Xaccers
23-05-2007, 09:36
I did some shelf stacking at a local Tesco for a while & was actually praised for rotating the stock by a department manager. When asked who'd told me to do it, I just replied that I thought it was common sense to do it.

To which he promptly sacked you for being over qualified :D

jkat
23-05-2007, 22:18
asda fined almost £80,000 for out of date food http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/6684295.stm

bringerofnoise
25-05-2007, 06:31
I don't know about anyone else but when i go shopping i always take from the back and check the date to make sure it's the freshest.

I used to work at my local tesco yonks ago and on my first day a supervisor came back off his holidays opened a store cupboard and you have never seen so many flies.

when the flies cleared it turned out that some numpty had left a cage of bread and other odds n sods in there for quite some time there was also maggots everywhere.

And you know what i nearly fell over because the supervisor rolled his sleeves and started cleaning i figured as being the newbie i'd of got that task.

Also whilst working at my local co-op two summers ago i went into the back and the milk was being delivered went back onto the shop floor served some customers went into the back again and the tards had left the milk out in scorching heat.
i felt sick because thats where we USED to buy our milk:Yikes:

popper
26-05-2007, 00:17
real direct links to the program if you missed it as i did.

rtsp://wm-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/uk/video/96000/bb/96137_16x9_bb.wmv
rtsp://wm-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms2/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/uk/video/96000/bb/96137_16x9_bb.wmv

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6680000/newsid_6682900/6682961.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm

AdamD
26-05-2007, 00:54
Damn
I watched this earlier and posted the same video (Sorry Rob, hehe)

Problem is, where do you go?
If all the leading supermarkets are like this, where else is there?
Waitose/M&S? I know they're more expensive, but do they have the same lack of care as far as hygeine etc goes?

popper
26-05-2007, 01:19
your local farm usually.

Xaccers
26-05-2007, 09:27
your local farm usually.

Urgh no chance.
Used to work on a local farm, as a "perk" we got a 10% discount on items from their shop.
All was over priced and well past their best.

maddyp
26-05-2007, 14:44
im on a mac today -is there any other links that are not wmv as it freezes my screen?