PDA

View Full Version : Dying for a smoke...

The Jackal
17-05-2007, 23:31
What a day.

Woke up very early to try to prepare for an interview I had first thing in morning.

It didn't happen ! (Woke up the last minute I could !)

Copied and pasted the job spec onto my PDA. Thorough wash and shave WAIT What the HELL - I'm out of shaving foam GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Right got suited and booted. Tries to print out my CV and hmmm printer doesn't work because it was networked shared via my wifes laptop. YES NO LAPTOP SHES TAKEN IT.

Picks up a VERY old version of my CV out of the bin and stuffs it in my bag.

Boots up my laptop to sync up my data to take along with me - " No WAY I have busted the DC input to the laptop so the battery cant charge and NOR can I actually use it :rolleyes:

Quickly copies and pastes some tech docs onto my PDA so that I can prepare on the train.

SOD THIS I'll never be ready at this rate so I walk out the door and start my journey.

DAMN WHAT'S THE INTERVIEW ADDRESS ? Oh yeh I dont have a printer but I had a bright spark of wisdom I have GPS on my PDA so not all is lost : PHEW.

Gets on the train - nervous wreck - Starts to read the tech docs : WTH !!!!! Its just a managle of HTML. GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrr

SOD IT SOD IT SOD IT

I put my headphones on and listen to banging drum and bass all the way there.

On a + interview went well and most of the day has been ok. But I've been craving a fag all day.

Well what now ? I'm sitting in the dark with the light circuits switched off due to receiving a nice electric shock.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I can smell that nicotine a mile off.

And to top it off I gave up smoking on Monday so I'm 80 hours in.
Yes I wont give in I wont.

Thanks for listening.

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 23:35
What a day.

Woke up very early to try to prepare for an interview I had first thing in morning.

It didn't happen !

Copied and pasted the job spec onto my PDA. Thorough wash and shave WAIT What the HELL - I'm out of shaving foam GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Right got suited and booted. Tries to print out my CV and hmmm printer doesn't work because it was networked shared via my wifes laptop. YES NO LAPTOP SHES TAKEN IT.

Boots up my laptop to sync up my data to take along with me - " No WAY I have busted the DC input to the laptop so the battery cant charge and NOR can I actually use it :rolleyes:

Quickly copies and pastes some tech docs onto my PDA so that I can prepare on the train.

SOD THIS I'll never be ready at this rate so I'm walk out the door and start my journey.

DAMN WHAT'S THE INTERVIEW ADDRESS ? Oh yeh I dont have a printer but I had a bright spark of wisdom I have GPS on my PDA so not all is lost : PHEW.

Gets on the train - nervous wreck - Starts to read the tech docs : WTH !!!!! Its just a managle of HTML. GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrr

SOD IT SOD IT SOD IT

On a + interview went well and most of the day has been ok. But I've been craving a fag all day.

Well what now ? I'm sitting in the dark with the light circuits switched off due to receiving a nice electric shock.

Thanks for listening.
woooohhhhh...toooo much guy,but good luck with giving up smoking,may as well do it off youre own bat as wait for the 1st july.good luck.tip..take deep inhalations when you feel the need,this is what i did and after a bit it started to send me dizzy,like when i first started.:devsmoke:

bw41101
17-05-2007, 23:56
Stopped smoking - well done! But you must resist the evil weed at all costs. Take it from me, the cravings will (over time) get less and less and then (in the future) when someone offers you a fag you'll have the satisfaction of being to say "no thanks" without even batting an eyelid.

I stopped smoking 20+ years ago - and the reason - a dare! So if I can do it - so can you. You've nothing to lose if you stop and think of the dosh you'll save to boot.

Keep it up

Si thee

bob_a_builder
17-05-2007, 23:59
What was that old motto of the boy scouts ......

Oh yes , Be prepared ...

Not sure you can say you were really

on in an hour!
18-05-2007, 00:01
What was that old motto of the boy scouts ......

Oh yes , Be prepared ...

Not sure you can say you were really
didnt notice any mention of going for a job in the scouts in his post m8 :D :D :D

Lew
18-05-2007, 00:02
I know the feeling, mate. I had my last fag last Friday night. Hang in there.

Delta Whiskey
18-05-2007, 00:05
Just a thought to help your resolve. Both my parents smoked, they both died from lung cancer, one very slowly and one very fast.

Inhalers > Nebuliser > Oxygen Bottle = not much of a future.

The Jackal
18-05-2007, 11:04
I know the feeling, mate. I had my last fag last Friday night. Hang in there.

Excellent the best of luck to you too ! I've been smoking for around 15 years and did give up for around 3 months approx 4 years ago and so know what my journey is going to be like :)

Everything is going well today and am feeling good..unlike the urge I had last night.

Thankyou all for the support :) I just wrote this thread just to mentally keep me off the idea of going out to buy some smokes and it worked :)

Fingers crossed I am looking forward to hitting the 2 weeks barrier and start reducing on the gum and patches if I can then hit 1 month I'll be almost home scott free :)

DocDutch
18-05-2007, 11:11
CrC ... good luck with the job and no smoking.....

wish I could say it that I can stop now but got a wedding to prepare for so thats a bit stressful.

(_)______)____________________________)

just enjoying a smoke now :P

ow and CRC last time I stopped I had to avoid the pubs/clubs or any smoky areas for at least 2 weeks.

Also try not to get too hammered, you lose control and before you know it you got a smoke in your hands again.

The Jackal
18-05-2007, 11:26
CrC ... good luck with the job and no smoking.....

Thankyou - as I said I did give up smoking before for 3 months and I actually forced myself to restart the habit :rolleyes: why ? Because I missed that feeling whilst at work :rolleyes: So it was actually the new job not because of the stress but because I wanted too :rolleyes: Worst mistake of my life that.

Think this time I will have a harder time but am prepared for it because the main reason why I am giving up is because my son runs round the house trying to find me when I'm out for a smoke.

wish I could say it that I can stop now but got a wedding to prepare for so thats a bit stressful.

(_)______)____________________________)

just enjoying a smoke now :P

Mate its all in your mind there is no RIGHT time and no need to prepare. The only right time is when you in your mind know its right.

What happened to me on Monday was that I got to my last fag out of a box of 20 at around 3pm and just thought " I CANT DO THIS NO MORE - I'VE HAD ENOUGH and just dont want to go out and buy anymore "

So I thought about what to do about withdrawl symptoms... Ran upstairs straight away and applied a nicorette patch (all this within 5 mins of my last smoke).

I've had the patches and gum sitting on my desk for a good few months " waiting for that perfect time " :rolleyes:

Love the ASCII of the cig :) Made me laff as I know that feeling having that draw but I also know that during that pleasure lurkes a little regret :)

I do hope you can give up one day :) Best of luck mate

ian@huth
18-05-2007, 11:36
I quit on 17th June last year. I had been a heavy smoker for years and had tried virtually everything in the past with no success. This time it was only willpower and a little Firefox extension that I have used Every time I use the computer I see the little Quitzilla icon which if you hover the mouse over tells how many cigarettes you have not smoked since your stop date and the cost of these. The figures soon assist you to stay off the cigs. http://www.quitometro.org/quitomzilla_en.php

The Jackal
18-05-2007, 11:45
I quit on 17th June last year. I had been a heavy smoker for years and had tried virtually everything in the past with no success. This time it was only willpower and a little Firefox extension that I have used Every time I use the computer I see the little Quitzilla icon which if you hover the mouse over tells how many cigarettes you have not smoked since your stop date and the cost of these. The figures soon assist you to stay off the cigs. http://www.quitometro.org/quitomzilla_en.php

Wow thats good :tu:

Just installed it...

It says I have missed 77 cigs since monday considering each cig is/(was) supposed to reduce your life by 5 mins. That means I saved 6.5 hours of my life. Wish they could write that into the plugin too :)

DocDutch
18-05-2007, 11:48
Crc. I've given up for 6 months before, still going to thepub for a couple of drinks, but then had a b-day party of an aussie mate of mine, totally slaughtered and so after drink number 12 some1 offered me a smoke and I took it, 20 mins later i was in the local offies getting a pack :(

but I'll try again deffo after the wedding, also its going to be harder to smoke now as you wont be able to smoke in the pub :D :(

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Wow thats good :tu:

Just installed it...

It says I have missed 77 cigs since monday considering each cig is/(was) supposed to reduce your life by 5 mins. That means I saved 6.5 hours of my life. Wish they could write that into the plugin too :)

but crc, if your missus finds out about that program you wish you smoked again :P

Halcyon
18-05-2007, 11:51
Good luck giving up. Just remember you can beat this. Go out for a walk, do anything to distract you.
After your bad start to the day, it can only get better.

Oh and good luck for the job too :tu:

The Jackal
18-05-2007, 12:13
Crc. I've given up for 6 months before, still going to thepub for a couple of drinks, but then had a b-day party of an aussie mate of mine, totally slaughtered and so after drink number 12 some1 offered me a smoke and I took it, 20 mins later i was in the local offies getting a pack :(

Hmmmm Mine is a very similiar story (an after work session) but dispite having a smoke it took me literally a few days of buying packs before I enjoyed it again. I do remember smoking and not enjoying it - bizarre -.

Did anything like that happen to you ?

but crc, if your missus finds out about that program you wish you smoked again :P

LOL It's a little small icon plus she never uses any of my PCs she aint a nerd and has a real life :rolleyes:

Its the computer kit that I keep ordering that gets her shes hasn't got the faintest idea as to the lengths I go to hide delivery locations, empty boxes etc etc LOLz

Good luck giving up. Just remember you can beat this. Go out for a walk, do anything to distract you.
After your bad start to the day, it can only get better.

Oh and good luck for the job too :tu:

Thanks Hal :)

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Amazing I don't even know how much a pack of 20 bensons is.

I would just hand over my money and wait for my fix LOLz

Anyone know, its around 5.50 or something ?

DocDutch
18-05-2007, 14:06
depands where you buy them CrC.... say about 5.80 :O most of the time I buy mine when I'm in Holland :D

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

CrC what I would do for when you fancy a smoke is run up and down the stairs say 5 times... gets your mind of the smoke and you back into shape

wwe
18-05-2007, 14:12
don't smoke its bad 4 u i will never smoke why don't ppl stop selling them

Lew
18-05-2007, 14:39
Ummm… OK…

wwe
18-05-2007, 14:42
nice 1

zing_deleted
18-05-2007, 14:43
What a day.

It didn't happen ! (Woke up the last minute I could !)

SOD THIS I'll never be ready at this rate so I walk out the door and start my journey.

SOD IT SOD IT SOD IT

Thanks for listening.

man you sure can play the blues ;)

Delta Whiskey
18-05-2007, 15:06

Shortest Blues song in the world:

I didn't wake up this morning... :D

The Jackal
18-05-2007, 20:03

LOLz Well what can I say ?

I would have wrote earlier but .................................................. ...

......................... but ................

The internet went down - cable went - then the tv went.

Was on the phone to india when all of a sudden...

" Hello, hello .... hello " - Yes you've guessed, whilst laying wounded .... boooom HEADSHOT .... the the phone was out too.

I do hope you understand :)

I think my next tune will be called " Another 48 hours "

PS I'm still clean so I'm past some of the early hardships. Looking forward to getting to 2 weeks and then God willing 4 weeks :)

budwieser
18-05-2007, 20:14
Shortest Blues song in the world:

I didn't wake up this morning... :D

:rofl::LOL:

homealone
18-05-2007, 20:23
:rofl::LOL:

yes, sick - but very funny, I actually did :LOL: :D

Hang in there CrC - I packed up about 2½ years ago and there are still times I feel I could kill for one ;)

Otherwise I feel a lot better, can taste & smell a lot better & don't have a constant cough :)

peanut
18-05-2007, 20:50
7 months in for me now. I still get the odd 5 minutes where it can be tough, other than that, no probs so far.

Be a lot easier all round when the UK becomes smoke free, and I can't wait now - less temptations, more stigma etc etc.

Jules
18-05-2007, 21:21
Hang on in there if you can get through a day like you had and not give in to it you can do it :tu:

Enuff
18-05-2007, 21:34
Yeah, stick with it - Show the dreaded weed who's the boss! It's been 7 years since I stopped, and still get the cravings now and again. (see avatar)

The Jackal
18-05-2007, 23:29
Thankyou all so so much for the support - I am really touched.

I hope to not let you guys down, nor my family.

Very grateful to you all.

Cheers,
CrC

The Jackal
23-05-2007, 12:40
Almost 9 days :)

Saved £37 quid ! At this rate I'll be getting an SLI or crossfire gaming rig !

lols

alferret
25-05-2007, 22:16
keep going m8

You know they cost you https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/05/3.gif

Im a year and a month in, and my mrs still smokes, makes me gag when she lights up, thankfully its not indoors, just in the car\garden etc

The Jackal
26-05-2007, 00:52
Tell me about it. I've now saved nearly 50quid !

Irony would have it that I was just working out how much I spend on fags per annum.

£1500 - Now that is shocking.

Monday will be 2 weeks and then onto the 1 month barrier. All is going well thanks guys.

Hugh
26-05-2007, 11:56
Keep it up, C3 - we're all rooting for you....

joglynne
27-05-2007, 15:51
I managed to give up smoking 24 years ago having smoked 40 a day for several years, it was sooooooo hard at the beginning, my admiration goes out to CrC-3rr0r and any one else who is giving up the dreaded weed. I only wish that I had kept on putting the money I saved in a bottle. Stopped after the first year but it would probably be in the thousands by now. (Packet of 20 had just hit £1.00 :D)I could have thrown a great party for my 25th anniversary!

By the way(as Virgin says 'The legal stuff'):---
As an extra financial boost for any one trying to give up smoking and using over the counter sales of smoking cessation products, such as chewing gum and nicotine patches. The VAT rate is to be reduced to 5% for a period of one year only from 1 July 2007.

This temporary reduction in the VAT rate from 1 July 2007 coincides with the introduction of smoke free public and work places in England

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2007/bn57.htm

The Jackal
27-05-2007, 16:30
Thanks joglynne - I'm still going strong here and am very happy - I'm mostly off the patches now and sometimes do the gum.

Yesterday was interesting as without a patch and gum I would sometimes think yeh time to have some gum. I even had the idea last night of going out to buy a pack but kept on forgetting to either go out to smoke or take some gum.

However as I write the thought of smoking / cigs etc has lead me on to chew on a bit of gum... Nevermind eh ?

I've also been coughing up my guts in combination with a flu :(

But you know what I feel energetic and very very happy :) :)

WRT Smoking cessation - The NHS offer free patches/gum to the unemployed and so I have a little stash here to help me go through the next test which will be going back to work next week.

It used to be a thing going out for a smoke :/ I think I will do what I used to do - go out with them and just chew on my gum LOL I used to do this when I previously tried to give up.

:tu: On the VAT for nicotine replacement products

r00t
27-05-2007, 23:03
Well done CrC-3rr0r. :tu:
I have given up too.
And it didn't hurt, the most I got was that empty feeling like you're hungry. A few days and thats gone.
And you are not giving up, you are gaining. You are adding life time, you are breathing, you are saving money. And also you are not giving up because you are a non smoker, you were a non smoker from the moment you put out that last one, congratulations.

Never envy a smoker when you see one, because they envy us!
I was going to say good luck and keep it up it will get easier; but its not easier that it gets, well for me it isn't/wasn't, its more "how could I have been so stupid for so long, why didn't I do this before"

Welcome to a longer life buddy :tu: :D

homealone
28-05-2007, 02:16
I managed to give up smoking 24 years ago having smoked 40 a day for several years, it was sooooooo hard at the beginning, my admiration goes out to CrC-3rr0r and any one else who is giving up the dreaded weed. I only wish that I had kept on putting the money I saved in a bottle. Stopped after the first year but it would probably be in the thousands by now. (Packet of 20 had just hit £1.00 :D)I could have thrown a great party for my 25th anniversary!

By the way(as Virgin says 'The legal stuff'):---
As an extra financial boost for any one trying to give up smoking and using over the counter sales of smoking cessation products, such as chewing gum and nicotine patches. The VAT rate is to be reduced to 5% for a period of one year only from 1 July 2007.

This temporary reduction in the VAT rate from 1 July 2007 coincides with the introduction of smoke free public and work places in England

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2007/bn57.htm

I had my first fag when I was 9 years old, 1962, when you could buy a single woodbine ...

My mate, at the time, bought a packet of 10 - he got quite ill, if I remember right, but the next cigarette I had was at boarding school aged 15 - a 'fag' was quite a different thing, there. ;)

I gave up for a couple of years, once before, then started again - but I have not smoked tobacco for nearly 2½ years, now :)

joglynne
28-05-2007, 14:15
I had my first fag when I was 9 years old, 1962, when you could buy a single woodbine ...

My mate, at the time, bought a packet of 10 - he got quite ill, if I remember right, but the next cigarette I had was at boarding school aged 15 - a 'fag' was quite a different thing, there. ;)

I gave up for a couple of years, once before, then started again - but I have not smoked tobacco for nearly 2½ years, now :)

2½ years well done. I remember my first cigarette. It was a menthol - wow - it nearly killed me :D My main brands of cigarettes were 3 Castles and Gitaines, looking back I must have been mad. Once I had given up it still took years to stop patting my desk to find my lighter and cigarettes when I had a coffee.

homealone
28-05-2007, 14:38
2½ years well done. I remember my first cigarette. It was a menthol - wow - it nearly killed me :D My main brands of cigarettes were 3 Castles and Gitaines, looking back I must have been mad. Once I had given up it still took years to stop patting my desk to find my lighter and cigarettes when I had a coffee.

Funny how the little habits persist, I used to roll my own, & for ages after I packed in I was picking up a packet of papers to start making a new fag - even though i had no baccy :erm:

Three Castles & Gitanes - no filter tips on either IIRC :Yikes:

One brand I remember was called 'Passing Clouds' which were different in that they were oval shaped, rather than round, for some reason ...

r00t
28-05-2007, 14:46
Well done all who have quit and are now non smokers.

Never think you are weak for once smoking, it took a strong person to train their bodies to accept the drug. When you first smoked did you enjoy it? I'm betting you coughed, puked or borked when first smoking; though once you had become hooked by the nasty little drug you started to justify the needs for it and the conditions it had on your body, that cough you had, the " oh I must be getting a cold, or I'm just getting over a cold but shifting this cough is taken a while". Don't have so many 'cold' related coughs now I'm betting ;) I know I don't.

The addiction is the easiest part to beat, as joglynne has pointed out its the brainwashing that takes longer to beat. The routine before leaving the house would be checking my pockets, money, keys,cigs and lighter.
And for those who remember seeing adverts in the pictures for cigs, or even being able to smoke at the pictures you'll know what I mean by brainwashing, another one would be watching our snooker heros puffing away on TV.

Congratulations to each and everyone who has given up and to those in the process of doing so.
I say "giving up", but you are giving up nothing, you are gaining and you are giving your loved ones something.
Well done on denying that evil,vile drug another victim, this drug takes away parents from children and children from parents. For those who have rejected the evil weed I applaud you all. :clap:

homealone
28-05-2007, 15:04
or even being able to smoke at the pictures

Agreed, I remember smoking at the pictures (not the matinee ;) ) - that & blagging my age to get in to an 'X' rated film made me feel 'grown up'.

Of course an 'X' back then would barely rate a '15', nowadays, but I can remember the light from the projector illuminating the plumes of smoke above the audience..... scarey really, that a bit of blood or a glimpse of a breast was restricted, while smoking was accepted & even encouraged...

r00t
28-05-2007, 15:08
scarey really, that a bit of blood or a glimpse of a breast was restricted, while smoking was accepted & even encouraged...

And there we have it, words from a man older ( see his profile ) and wiser than I.
Thanks Gaz :tu:

joglynne
28-05-2007, 15:09
rOOt. :clap:

Do any other 'non-smokers' have any remaining habits left over from their former smoking days? i have a close friend who, in times of stress, is known to 'smoke' a biro. He even taps the ash off:D

Jo

homealone
28-05-2007, 15:18
And there we have it, words from a man older ( see his profile ) and wiser than I.
Thanks Gaz :tu:

:blush: you are more than welcome :tu:

superbiatch
28-05-2007, 15:30
Do any other 'non-smokers' have any remaining habits left over from their former smoking days? i have a close friend who, in times of stress, is known to 'smoke' a biro. He even taps the ash off:D

Jo

I still eat our pens in work on a regular basis (i suppose this replicates the hand to mouth action we miss afterwards). The problem being i work for a stop smoking service and get through about 5 a week ;)

joglynne
28-05-2007, 15:42
Bad habit superbiatch, you really must try to cut down :)

Actually you really should stop chewing pens, I'm sure I read some where about the possibility of the chemicals in plastic pens having an effect on the body when chewed. Or maybe it was pencils? Not many alternative though if you need to do it. A carrot stick maybe? Difficult to look professional puffing away on a carrot though. :D