PDA

View Full Version : Sky box extended warranty. Is it worth it?

LSainsbury
17-05-2007, 20:45
As per subject - got a letter today for renewing / extending Sky warranty.

Cost is £59.99 ( 1 x Sky Digital box)

Is it worth it?

What would happen if I didn't take it out and the box went tits in 6 months time?

Basically - what are my options?

Cheers

Lee

Nedkelly
17-05-2007, 20:57
If your box goes faulty you call a sky they will charge you £65 callout .If you pay the insurance you dont pay the call out and if your equipment is faulty they will replace it .If you dont pay it you pay for both i think but i might be wrong :)

iain_herts
17-05-2007, 21:01
if u dont take it out and it does go wrong in a few months sky's standard rate is £65 which includs parts so if u need new dish/cable/box its all in the price.

me i woudnt pay it

Nedkelly
17-05-2007, 21:21
Did you see many customers who didnt have the insurance :)

iain_herts
17-05-2007, 21:27
from what i could tell was i think i only did 1 or 2 out off 100's of service calls i did when i worked for sky. i would say tho i had alot off ppl who were offered a free service call

Nedkelly
17-05-2007, 21:30
I take it from your sig you dont work for them any more .When i talf to the sky techs here they complain about the contractors all the time :)

LSainsbury
17-05-2007, 21:33
So if it went faulty, could I just buy a new one from say Fleabay?

Bulky
17-05-2007, 21:34
my sky + box went on the blink 2 years after it was installed , sky offered to fix it for £65 (thanks a lot :erm:) , the guy on the phone told me the hard drive had failed and would be much cheaper to fix myself , i did , and it only cost me £26 , and i have twice the storage :) , i wouldn't bother imo the normal boxes go wrong rarely and if they do you could a second hand one up cheaper than £60

iain_herts
17-05-2007, 21:37
nope not no more now work for a independent company asa registered but mainly do business now.

and the contrators well they are bad here to once on a service call and they used a t and k but instead on using u bolts they used cable ties to hold the pole on lol.

yes u could get 1 from ebay and just call sky up to pair the card and bulkylad u are right 90% of sky+ will be the hard drive

LSainsbury
18-05-2007, 10:36
Cool - thanks for the advice - so to sum up - it's not really worth £59 although it is piece of mind I suppose. Are there many companies that offer extended warranties on Sky boxes - or do they have to be licensed by Sky?

DocDutch
18-05-2007, 16:37
Lee, there are quite a few of them and also I have heard of some being quite fraudulent at the same time and $ky not wanting to know about you then.

LSainsbury
18-05-2007, 17:05
Lee, there are quite a few of them and also I have heard of some being quite fraudulent at the same time and $ky not wanting to know about you then.

Right - thanks - look like some more info is required. Cheers Doc!

DocDutch
18-05-2007, 17:15
yeah my missus works for a bank and 1 of her customers got "done" by 1 of those insurance companies, together with a whole load of other customers from Sky. people complaining to sky about the company but sky didnt do anything, loads of people lost out on money due to this.

so what I would do is to do as suggested and just if it happens pay the charge and sky might just fix it.

LSainsbury
20-05-2007, 09:08
Did a Google (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=%22digital+satellite+warranty+cover+ltd%22&btnG=Google+Search) search on the company...

Nice - I'll think I'll take them up on their offer - NOT!