PDA

View Full Version : What Accustic Guitar?

Enuff
08-05-2007, 23:30
I've got about £150 budget for a good accustic guitar (semi concidered) I went to Sound Control yesterday and sampled this one (http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.2.1-200-15829) which felt and sounded real good.

Any help in choosing one would be much appreciated thanx.

Gareth
08-05-2007, 23:39
Not quite sure what this has to do with Virgin Media ;) but I'm a big Yamaha fan personally (although I now only play electric.... and have a genuine American Strat :cool:)

Never heard of Legacy guitars, so can't comment on them, but if you like the feel of it, then that's more important than anybody else's recommendation, imo.

Cerberus
08-05-2007, 23:51
Can't quite recommend one off the top of my head, but that all depends though on what level you're at. Hohners are a half decent acoustic, that's what I started out on many years back. You can also try any acoustic from John Hornby Skewes Ltd. I'm sure you can get any of these makes for under a ton.

Might be an idea to move this topic too! ;)

punky
08-05-2007, 23:54
Thread moved to lifestyle

Just choose one that feels right. That's the most important thing.

Uncle Peter
09-05-2007, 00:17
From what I've tried lately the "Vintage" series of acoustics seem particularly decent for the price. Tanglewoods are always worth a look as well and if you can stretch to a few more shillings they do some reasonable electro acoustics.

Either way, as Gareth and Gavin have said, if it feels right then that's better than anyone else's view.

Anonymouse
09-05-2007, 00:38
"I remember everything!
I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday
I was barely seventeen
And I once killed a boy with a fender guitar...
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster
But I do remember that it had a heart of chrome
And a voice like a horny angel!
I don't remember if it was a Telecaster or a Stratocaster
But I do remember that it wasn't at all easy...
It required the perfect combination of the right power chords
And the precise angle from which to STRIKE!"

- anyone remember/recognise that? :)

tick
09-05-2007, 00:45
meatloaf

and the prize is ????????

Delta Whiskey
09-05-2007, 00:54
I agree with the Vintage recommendation for an electric guitar. I have three Crafter guitars, a 6 string, a 12 string and a slim archtop electro-acoustic. For the price the Crafters take some beating, but as the others say try as many as you can and buy what feels right for you. These days it's difficult to find a really crappy guitar.

Enuff
09-05-2007, 09:34
Thanks for the feedback, i'd like a Taylor, but they are way over my budget... Looks like it could be the Legacy for me. :confused:

jkat
09-05-2007, 12:39
I've got about £150 budget for a good accustic guitar (semi concidered) I went to Sound Control yesterday and sampled this one (http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.2.1-200-15829) which felt and sounded real good.

Any help in choosing one would be much appreciated thanx.

wow for the money that looks ok, solid spruce top! shadow pickups are very good indeed.
hows the action btw and check the neck for bow.
if u like it why not. ;)

anyone tried "cats eyes" guitars hand built by tokai, they used to produce for martin usa in the 60's dont know if they still do?? a good friend of mine recently purchased a freshman cedar top very nice indeed, nicer than an equivelent takamine.

Rockabilly Spike
09-05-2007, 12:51
its all about feel. as an owner of 23 guitars (only 1 acoustic a washburn) I can say thats its down to feel, personal taste.

Whatever feels best grab it.
Thursday night I played an £800 BC Roch Mockingbird thru neck and an Epiphone M1 that I paid £7 for in a 2nd hand shop and rebuilt cos it had an amazing feeling neck on it.

Enuff
09-05-2007, 15:48
wow for the money that looks ok, solid spruce top! shadow pickups are very good indeed.
hows the action btw and check the neck for bow.
if u like it why not. ;)

Didn't check the neck for bow, how would I do that? The action was nice and low.

jkat
09-05-2007, 18:26
http://members.aol.com/rogluthier/indexneck.html

dodger look down the neck and see if the fret board is parallel with the strings but going off your description of low action its probably ok, in any case its usually easy for the shop to correct it. oh and dont get carried away low action, i have mine set high for more rining tones.

Valerie
09-05-2007, 20:26
My hubby's got a Taylor (wonderful!) but also has a freshman. It's not the same but for the money is very good value. They have good build quality and some interesting sounds. Try one and see if you like it.

Delta Whiskey
09-05-2007, 23:55
Thanks for the feedback, i'd like a Taylor, but they are way over my budget... Looks like it could be the Legacy for me. :confused:

Have a look at the Crafter SA series, it's a Taylor clone:
http://www.crafterguitars.com/

I have the SA-Bubinga, bought from a local dealer for £300 (as featured in my avatar).

Uncle Peter
19-05-2007, 19:05
Have a look at the Crafter SA series, it's a Taylor clone:
http://www.crafterguitars.com/

I have the SA-Bubinga, bought from a local dealer for £300 (as featured in my avatar).

Had a go of the Crafter slim archtop today, very nice indeed and well worth the money. Might be in the market for one of these in the near future.

While I was at it, bought meself a Schecter Blackjack Tempest to complement my little collection of strats. A Duncan 59 and a JB (both coil tapped), maple neck, bound arched mahogany body - 400 quid.. bargain!

Delta Whiskey
20-05-2007, 00:18
Had a go of the Crafter slim archtop today, very nice indeed and well worth the money. Might be in the market for one of these in the near future.

I like the look of the new model SAT-M.BLU, same body as my current SA but with a P90 humbucker and a couple of other changes. I've put an order in for one, but they're not in the UK yet. I've not played my other guitars since I bought the SA so I've sold all three of them, I'd rather they were being played than hanging around here gathering dust.