PDA

View Full Version : My Nightmare Installation

steve_moore
08-05-2007, 22:27
In the beginning this all made sense; consolidate my TV, Broadband, phone and mobile to one provider and save money and hassle.

Now I wish I hadn’t bothered!

The process for signing up to Virginmedia was smooth and straight forward all carried out over the phone with no glitches or problems and an installation date of Tuesday 24th April between 08:00 - 13:00 arranged.
I duly took the day off work and sat at home waiting for the engineer to attend and carry out the installation. At 13:15 I gathered they weren’t coming and called Customer Services.

The lady I spoke to could not explain why nobody had turned up but informed me she had left a message on the area manager’s voicemail to call me and he had to respond to that message within 30 mins.
30 mins later and no return call I called customer services again and this time was put through to the installs department.

I was informed by them that the installation had not been carried out due to some construction work that was required. This was highlighted during a pre installation visit which occurred on Thursday 19th April.
When I asked why nobody had contacted me to say the installation would not be carried out they informed me they did not have my telephone number. When I pointed out that they were transferring my telephone number from BT he quickly retracted his comment and had no explanation. At this point I asked to speak with his manager to try and progress the issue.

Following the response of "What have I done! What have I done!!" I was eventually told that he was on the other line at the moment and I insisted on holding until he was free. Several minutes later I was told he was to busy to talk with me but he would try and get hold of the area manager Lee Collins who was supposed to call me previously.

After several minutes I was told that he had spoke with Lee Collins and he would be calling me in 10 minutes.

30 mins later I had still not received a call so back on the phone to customer services. I was eventually told that all the managers were in a meeting and she had no idea when they would be available. The lady told me she would keep persisting in trying to get in contact with Lee Collins and phone me to keep me updated (that was my suggestion!). Unfortunately I received no updates so an hour or so later I was back on the phone again.

This time I was told exactly same thing again but eventually received a call from Lee Collins explaining he was investigating what the issue was.

30 mins later I got another call from Lee Collins saying some construction work was necessary, I believed this involved pulling a cable to a T box? He informed me that the construction work would be carried out before Friday when the installation had been rescheduled for between 13:00 and 18:00. He also apologised for the inconvenience and service I had received and suggested that once the installation had been completed then we could discuss compensation. He informed me he would call me on Friday to see how the installation had gone.

I couldn’t be at home on the Friday 27th so my wife arranged to be there for the installation. The three man crew from virgin turned up and began the installation, for the duration of there visit they were aggressive and constantly moaning about how mis treated they were by Virgin, how they hadn’t been paid by them ect. My wife wasn’t particular happy with the installation but felt very intimidated by the installers and wanted to get them out the house as soon as possible. Once they had "finished" they left still moaning and even left me some of there tools behind!

When I arrived home on Friday and inspected the work, I was shocked. I have attached pictures with this posting of the condition that they left my installation in.

I basically had been left with the following;

= Unsafe installation - in my opinion an unsafe installation carried out by intimidating cowboys as shown in the photos.

= Broadband not working - no details on how to get this connected had been sent to me but a very helpful lady in India assisted me in getting this working.

= TV - Interactive portion of the TV installation not working. Spoke to India and another visit from an engineer was required, was told if I was not in when the engineer called I would be charged £10! My response to this was polite and to the point!

= No phone call from Lee Collins

After I had calmed down I called customer services and explained my concerns regarding the installation and the attitude of the installers. The man I spoke with was extremely helpful and emailed both Lee Collins and his boss to inform them about the issue. He informed me that one of them would call me either on Saturday but more likely Monday 30th April.

Monday arrived and no call was received so at 12:30 I gave Lee Collins a call, (the wonders of caller ID!). Lee Collins was completely unaware of the issues I had experienced on Friday and initially thought that I wanted to discuss compensation with him after he had failed to call me. After I explained what had happened Lee Collins said he would visit me on Friday 4th May 09:30 and resolve any issues with the installation, he told me that the engineer scheduled to attend by India would be cancelled.

Friday 4th May 08:30, a knock at my front door and the engineer who was scheduled by India turned up, I informed him that Lee Collins was attending at 09:30 and he turned around and left. 09:30 arrived and no sign of Lee Collins, as 10:00 approached with no sign of Lee Collins and no phone call to apologise for being late I picked up the phone to Mr Collins.

Lee Collins answered and informed me that he was unable to attend site today because the regional manager was not in and a couple of other managers were out and he was covering them also. He told me that Martin Hackney would be coming to see me though in his absence. At that point he said he would try to call him and call me back in 2 minutes to provide me an update. Guess what happened next???
Yes he didn’t return my call until 11:30 when Martin Hackney was on my doorstep. Lee informed me that Martin would discuss getting the problem with the installation sorted out and also discuss compensation with me.

I had a long chat with Martin and initially he suggested that the guys who carried out the work return that afternoon to redo the job. I informed him that I didn’t want the same people redoing the job due to there attitude and obvious lack of workmanship. Martin then suggested that he and another team would visit me on Tuesday 8th May between 10:30 and 11:00 to redo the work. We also discussed some compensation for the inconvenience that had been caused.

When Martin left I finally felt that I had got somewhere, he had taken ownership of my problem provided me with his contact details and had restored some of my faith in that this issue was going to be resolved.

Well today was the day that everything was meant to be sorted Tuesday 8th May, my Virginmedia installation saga would surely be over by lunchtime. Having not gone into work because my wife didn’t want to deal with any of the engineers again I waited at home.

I kept waiting and waiting until eventually 11:00 came and went. I had received no call from Martin Hackney to let me know he wasn’t coming. Since he had provided me with his details I called him, straight through to voice mail. I left him a message and left it for about an hour or so before I tried again. Still no answer and again straight through to voicemail, another message left. I tried Lee Collins now to see if he knew what was happening but there was no reply on his number.
I tried roughly 30 mins to get in contact with either Martin or Lee but by 15:00 I had given up.

I called Customer Service with the vague hope that I was going to get through to someone who could help me either get in contact with Martin or Lee via a different channel or escalate the problem to someone in there team.
Initially I got through to someone in India, I explained my situation and again was told that there were no notes on the system indicating anybody would be visiting or that there was any problems. He suggested that I talk to someone in installs and put me through to the installs department.

I explained my issue all over again and was then told they would try and put me in touch with someone in Lees team. However I ended up back in the customer services queue!

Back to India again and explaining the whole situation again, again they put me back through to installs but this time told me they could not contact anyone in Lees team but would put me back through to customer services in Glasgow where they could help. I spoke to a guy there and again explained the situation, he kept repeating “Looking into it now for you sir” every two seconds before placing me on hold why he made some calls. He came back on the line after about 5 mins and told me he was dropping someone an email to contact me and would continue to try the numbers he had. He said if I would like to drop off the call he would call me back when he had spoke to someone.

Since I had been on the phone for about 40 mins I suggested that I may as well hang on why he continued to try. He then put me back on hold and about a minute later I was put through to someone’s voicemail without him even telling me who it was and that he was going to transfer me!!

So after nearly an hour on the phone I was none the wiser, still no call from Martin or Lee and no help from Customer Services.

Determined I tried them again, I got through to a lady called Christine McMillan, who was extremely helpful. She filled out an incident form for me which she said would assist me in escalating the incident to a incident management team who didn’t speak to anybody without a reference number.

Having logged this for me she then tried contacting Lee Collins and Martin Hackney. Lee Collins was on holiday and from what she said was livid that nobody had turned up and that he would call me tomorrow when he was back in the office. Martin Hackney was not contactable but she had managed to speak to Mark Salford (his boss??) and apparently Martin Hackney was not in the office today.

Christine told me that she was sending all my details to Mark Salford and someone would contact me to let me know what was happening. Christine also ensured that I had her name and informed me that if I had any more problems then to contact customer service and ask to be transferred to her or to get someone to email her and she would contact me directly.
More people at Virginmedia should have this attitude.

At 17:35 today I received a call from Matt Southard who works with Martin Hackney. Apparently he had gone away for the weekend and his flight had been delayed so he was not back in the country. I explained this was not my issue and Matt has now rearranged that someone visits me tomorrow after 18:30 to sort everything out.

I shall let you know if this happens or not!

tkiely
08-05-2007, 23:00
Thats a real horror story Steve, welcome to the forum. Lets hope there is some good news regarding this soon. Good luck.

fizgog
08-05-2007, 23:05
I feel sorry for you mate, when I signed up under NTL. Installation went through like a dream, whereas your's sounds like a nightmare. :Yikes:

I hope they give you some good compensation.

Since Virgin took over we have lost Sky One/News, had traffic shaping introduced and bad installations. I thought things were supposed to be getting better under Virgin.

Can anyone explain what the rebranding exercise actually achieved?

Druchii
09-05-2007, 02:17
I feel sorry for you mate, when I signed up under NTL. Installation went through like a dream, whereas your's sounds like a nightmare. :Yikes:

I hope they give you some good compensation.

Since Virgin took over we have lost Sky One/News, had traffic shaping introduced and bad installations. I thought things were supposed to be getting better under Virgin.

Can anyone explain what the rebranding exercise actually achieved?
it changed their name to hide "NTL".

Christ that's a bad install story... I hope t gets sorted soon mate.

steve_moore
09-05-2007, 22:36
Following my post on here yesterday I sent the following email to Lee Collins.

=======================================

Lee

After everything was looking so positive on Friday yet again I have been let down. Martin failed to turn up and yet again not even a phone call to let me know nobody would be attending.

I have lost count of the number of assurances that have been made to me only to be let down at a later date. This ranges from customer services, installation teams, Martin and yourself.

Whilst I appreciate that some things are out of your control and that you yourself are under a lot of pressure I am first and foremost a Virginmedia customer who deserves a better service level than this.

I have now spent two wasted days at home waiting for engineers to visit me and rectify the problems with my installation, as your colleagues in India were so keen to point out if I was not at home when an engineer called I would be charged £10. Can I charge Virginmedia for the two days of my time that I have been left waiting at home for them? If so please let me know who I should send the bill to.

I have also spent several hours on the phone to customer services being passed from pillar to post and never really getting anywhere.

Matt Southard has finally spoken with me today after much chasing around and has arranged for an engineer to visit me tomorrow evening at 18:30. I am really hoping that they attend but as an alternative I have also submitted the following posting on www.cableforum.co.uk which I believe is monitored my Virginmedia staff. This may provided an alternate means to getting this issue resolved.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/33613845-my-nightmare-installtion.html

As I have said to you before the package that Virginmedia can offer is great TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile all from one supplier. The problem from my perspective is that while the shiny Virginmedia rebranding looks great from the outside the infrastructure and processes required behind the scenes to put all these services in place seems to be sorely lacking in its ability to deliver.

Virginmedia is unique in the current marketplace and they are capitalising on this at the moment. Before long other competitors will be able to offer the same services and if there is not significant improvement prospective customers as well as existing customers will be looking at those viable alternatives as opposed to Virginmedia.

I understand that you are on holiday today but I look forward to speaking with you tomorrow.

Regards

Steve Moore

=======================================

Given the numerous attempts to contact Martin Hackney yesterday, and not to mention the fact that Lee Collins was aware that nobody had showed up at my house yesterday I was, for the duration of today expecting at least a courtesy call from either Martin or Lee to either apologise or try to find out the current situation from me.

However I received no call, and no response to my email.

But as I travelled home today I still had some hope I imagined a nice shiny Virgin media van waiting there just as Matt Southard had promised me yesterday ready to sort out all my problems.

I got home just before 18:30, 18:45 came and went as did 19:00. I resigned myself to the fact that yet again nobody was going to visiting me today.

At 19:30 I got a call from someone called Ryan. They had had a really busy day and had just finished a job and were at least 45 minutes away from me.

Ryan told me they could still visit me today or if I preferred they would come at 18:30 tomorrow instead. Since it would probably dark by the time they arrived at 20:30 I thought it best to advise them to come back tomorrow.

So now I have a poor installation two no shows and a near miss. Almost there!

Am I just being incredibly unlucky with all of this or is this the only level of service that Virginmedia customers can expect?

I have seen several Virginmedia staff posting on this forum would any of you like to comment?

Well tomorrow is another day, who knows maybe I will get a response to my email or maybe even a call from Lee or Martin.

I’ll be back tomorrow with another update!

NTLVictim
10-05-2007, 09:09
Ah well at least this time you got a call from the tech, which shows he's more organised and more customer-oriented than his bosses..

Good luck for today!

vhelper
10-05-2007, 09:11
Hi Steve, I'm really shocked at this level of service that you've received and I will feed it back to the senior manager for the area. Will you let me know how things have progressed today.
Thanks

steve_moore
11-05-2007, 00:43
Well today has been an interesting day. Following my update yesterday I received a call from the head of installations Mark Taplin this morning. The issue had been escalated to Mark following someone seeing the postings I had made.

He assured me that someone would be at my house this evening to resolve the issue and he would call me back a little later to confirm who that would be.

Mark called me back and informed me that this evening at 18:30 there would be two engineers onsite, also attending would be Matt Southard and Lee Collins. Mark also left me his mobile number and asked me to call him this evening to let him know how everything had gone.

Following my postings to various websites and newsgroups Alex Brown (Virgin Media Senior Product Manager) had come across my postings and escalated the problem internally. Following this escalation I received a call and an email from Richard Bourne (Virgin Media Complaint Reduction Manager). We had a lengthy discussion regarding the issue and have agreed to speak again tomorrow morning.

Things were looking a lot more promising but why has it taken such extreme measures to get this far?

I got home this evening and had a Telewest van parked up outside my house waiting for me. About 10 minutes later Lee and Matt arrived. Lee was very apologetic and ensured that all the issues I had been left with were resolved and that I was left with a fully functioning install. Hurrah!!

I have phoned Mark and let him know the install has been completed successfully and I have a fully functioning install, we still need to agree on compensation but this will be sorted soon hopefully.

So in summary what has it taken to get this far?

= £25 Installation fee

= Two days off work

= Unacceptable rude and inappropriate behaviour from the installers

= I would estimate at least ten hours on the phone to customer services and various other people.

= Several emails

= Several postings on well known newsgroups and websites.

Why have I stuck with Virgin Media?

Maybe because the product they are offering is unique in the current marketplace at the moment, I like the idea of having saved money and having all my media services from one provider.

The experience I have been through has been a nightmare and Virgin Media need to implement service improvement plans to address the people and process issues they have. If they don’t then more people will have similar horror stories and I have no doubt people will begin leaving Virgin Media, certainly alot of people are amazed with the patience i have shown here.

Will I still be with Virgin Media in twelve months? To be honest I don’t know, if there is another supplier that can compete against them and provide identical services then maybe not but I guess it all depends on what further experiences lie ahead for me and Virgin Media.

cmatt
11-05-2007, 19:37
oh...dear... god - what imbecile decided to do that?!

they deserve a disaplinary after that :s

smiffyz
11-05-2007, 20:10
Ive had a similar problem, the engineer turned up last friday and looked at the job and informed me it was a 2 man job and left.
On Tuesday i phoned 4 times and failed to get through to someone, on Wednesday i finally got to speak to someone who (after 45mins) told me it needed to be entered as a new job and it would take a further 7 days to get my installation done which i had to agree to.
After thinking about it and reading some of the terrible posts on here i wrote to them to cancel the order. I'm off to Sky.
If i'm having problems getting them to fit the thing how will i go on when it's in and the faults start? I've read to many letters on how they take to much out of the bank, cant fix faults etc to trust them.

on in an hour!
11-05-2007, 20:17
Ive had a similar problem, the engineer turned up last friday and looked at the job and informed me it was a 2 man job and left.
On Tuesday i phoned 4 times and failed to get through to someone, on Wednesday i finally got to speak to someone who (after 45mins) told me it needed to be entered as a new job and it would take a further 7 days to get my installation done which i had to agree to.
After thinking about it and reading some of the terrible posts on here i wrote to them to cancel the order. I'm off to Sky.
If i'm having problems getting them to fit the thing how will i go on when it's in and the faults start? I've read to many letters on how they take to much out of the bank, cant fix faults etc to trust them.
i really feel for you and the person who started this thread,such level of (non) service is totally unacceptable,i do hope that you visit the happy installation threads and realise many many do go without a hitch,and reconsider in the future.good luck with whatever you decide.;)

stevengray2005
13-05-2007, 21:54
Is that an ex NTL Junction box?

lakey
14-05-2007, 18:07
all sounds so familiar except we havent even had it installed yet , they were supposed to come out on the 21st of march 2007 but guess what , when they turned up at 6.30pm they couldnt do it because they said they coildnt get the lid off the manhole for the cable as it had been tarmac'd over hmmmm funny that as on inspection the next day by myself and my partner this wasnt the case and we were able to remove it with two screwdrivers , countless phonecalls countless broken promises , i am unimpressed with virgin as they are were quick enough to take our money but not live up to their promises , i'd rather pay more for the services they are offering off of another company than be treated like this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

ps , can someone tell me the address i send my snotty letter about installation to please ???
thanks kim

Stan the Man
14-05-2007, 22:24
I have phoned Mark and let him know the install has been completed successfully and I have a fully functioning install, we still need to agree on compensation but this will be sorted soon hopefully.

Steve i'm really glad you got it sorted out:)

There have been many cases like yours, but yours was so well documented & made very interesting reading. If it wasn't so serious it would be quite funny like a Brian Rix farce.

Your right that what Virgin are offering is a good product when it's installed & working as it should but the infrastructure behind the scenes is far from organised & well run

chrisredding
02-10-2007, 18:00
I had an appointment arranged for Friday 21st September, in the afternoon so 1-6pm. I took the afternoon off work, and had a call from the engineer at about 1pm. He said he'd be with me by about 5pm. At about 5.15pm I called him back and he said they had been held up and would be with me soon. I called him again at 6pm, asking where they were... "Should be there by half past" he says.

Then he calls be at 6.50pm. With words to the effect of "It's too late in the day now, I'm tired, I've had a long day. You'll have to call customer services to get them to reschedule". Naturally I was not impressed at all.

I immediately called customer services, and eventually had to hang up and redial 3 times after behind pushed around the system by call centres in India. They are so obviously reading from a script, and don't even listen to anything you say that they aren't expecting as a response to their questions.

So eventually I speak to a lady in the North East of England. She is horrified at the treatment I received (I guess she spends her whole day doing that!) She said she had to make some calls, and would me back. This she duly did, twice as the situation developed and she got more information. She promised that someone would be round Monday evening to resolve things. I'd insisted I was not willing to take any more time off work, and Virgin would have to fit around me to get things sorted.

So then, Monday morning, I get a call from an engineer. He's outside my house. I explain I am at work, and that I'd explained this to them. He got very irritated and asked "How long will it take you to get home? I explained that I was at work, and would not be home until 5:30pm. So he rang off and went to his next call.

I called customer services again. This time the lady was annoyed with me as "they would have explained to you that we can only arrange appointments in time slots, and cannot be accurate as to the exact time the engineer will be there." She was blaming me for not being at home, and suggested that I might get billed for the failed installation. I explained the conversation I had had on the Friday evening, when I was told that they would be round 5:30-6pm Monday so I didn't have to take any time off work. She said she had no record of my installation for the Friday. I definitely felt I was being accused of being either incorrect, or a liar.

A few days later, Stuart Kennedy the installs manager called me out of the blue, he said he'd been trying to get someone round that evening, but all their crews had gone home at 3pm. So he couldn't get the install done then. He promised that he would keep trying each day that week to get someone out after 5pm. He explained that the installers are all subcontractors, and so can pretty much pick and choose when they finish.

So now I'm into the second week after the install was due to happen. I am still calling them and trying to get things sorted (I'm on hold as I type). They are telling me the soonest they can get someone out to me, is the 13th October, which I've said is unacceptable.

Stan the Man
03-10-2007, 22:46
Sorry to hear your problems mate, it's worth it when it's all done but most of us have had to jump many obstacles on the way unfortunately. Hope it's soon sorted:tu:

chrisredding
04-10-2007, 09:23
I've spent 4 hours on the phone in the past two days trying to get things sorted out. So when I eventually spoke to someone with a bit of sense, I cancelled everything!

:banghead:

So today I'm gonna be on the phone to BT and Sky. Hopefully with slightly more success.

And when I said "And obviously I want the £25 installation charge refunded" and he said "I'll just have to put you through to customer services..."

:bigcry:

laurei
19-06-2008, 10:13
Don't blame anyone you saw that day, here's the real reason for your virgin media installation problems (http://www.leakedmemo.com/an-open-letter-to-richardbransonavonline-plc-and-virgin-media/)

Stan the Man
19-06-2008, 19:26
Wow, that took some reading. It is a very well thought out & presented piece of work. If that really is the state of affairs it is no wonder most of us have suffered the Virgin woes.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, i imagined guys like yourself were earning £20,000 + bonus etc. Conditions like you describe will definately never lead to a good strong professional workforce or customer satisfaction

Please investigate Mr Branson as i love your product when it was eventually sorted out to my satisfaction. It would be nice if that was nearly always 1st time of asking.

Cheers
Stan

simco999
09-07-2008, 11:02
Indeed - a well thought out and very long letter.

My experience with NTL/Virgin goes back at least 10 years. NTL in the old days used to turn up late, or never. If you got a decent engineer you were ok - mostly you got a new guy who didn't know the procedures.

Whats changed in 10 years? From the sound of this thread not much.

Having said that Virgin is far cheaper for the whole phone, TV, broadband bundle so its probably worth the hassle overall. 12 months ago I changed from Sky to Virgin and the process was relatively smooth. The question is was I just lucky or have things really changed. I suspect that the pressures the installation guys have to face are much the same now as in the past. Virgin need to rethink their operation if they are to have a future.

Raging_Vampire
22-07-2008, 09:31
Ouch, Steve you really have gone through the mill. When I first got VM installed, I had a similar adventure with their customer no-service (three failed installs and an engineer turning up at a completely random time so I had to dash home from work). As far as I can tell this level of service is quite common. I'm sure that the vast majority of customers installs go smoothly but if you ever have cause to contact customer services, you are royally s*rewed. I have to say, you're alot more restrained than I would have been under the circumstances. I would have just invoiced VM for the cost of two days taken off work, never mind asking if it would be ok! Still, well done for successfully dealing with the shower of ***** that is VM.

07ttyrie
22-09-2010, 21:02