PDA

View Full Version : Holiday to Greek Island

Mr_love_monkey
08-05-2007, 22:02
We're thinking of going to one of the greek islands in July - has anyone got any recommendations, ideally we're looking for somewhere that is child friendly, i.e. that isn't completely full of lager louts, and is generally a 'family' destination, with some touristy things to see and do - as well as some good hotels.

Anyone?

Thanks

Raistlin
08-05-2007, 22:09
I went to Zante(Zakynthos) (http://www.zanteweb.gr/) a few years ago and it was very nice.

We ended up going during one of their public holidays so there was no rubbish collection (and it was just lying by the sides of the road) for a few days, but other than that it was very good.

We actually stayed in Kalamaki which was ok, but very quiet(*). There were quite a few touristy type things to do - including a trip to the wrecked smuggling ship (here's a picture (http://www.zanteweb.gr/images/navagio.jpg)), which was part of a cruise around the island. Don't be fooled though, that's not golden sand it's very sharp shale - still a nice day out.

If you go at the right time of year you will get to see the native turtles (they're huge) when they come there to hatch their young.

(*) Apart from the fact that our resort was right in the flight path for Zante airport.....wasn't too bad though really :)

Mr_love_monkey
08-05-2007, 22:14
I went to Zante(Zakynthos) (http://www.zanteweb.gr/) a few years ago and it was very nice.

We ended up going during one of their public holidays so there was no rubbish collection (and it was just lying by the sides of the road) for a few days, but other than that it was very good.

We actually stayed in Kalamaki which was ok, but very quiet. There were quite a few touristy type things to do - including a trip to the wrecked smuggling ship (here's a picture (http://www.zanteweb.gr/images/navagio.jpg)), which was part of a cruise around the island. Don't be fooled though, that's not golden sand it's very sharp shale - still a nice day out.

If you go at the right time of year you will get to see the native turtles (they're huge) when they come there to hatch their young.
Is it a family destination?

Raistlin
08-05-2007, 22:17
It seemed to be quite a quiet place, although at the time it was starting to grow in popularity. It certainly didn't seem like a louts paradise, but I suspect that any of the main towns have the potential to be rowdy late at night.

Where we stayed was very famiy friendly. Some of the main resteraunts/bars had children's play areas, and kids were welcomed almost everywhere (we didn't have any kids so no first-hand experience).

I think that the site I linked to has a forum, maybe you could glean some decent info from there?

superbiatch
08-05-2007, 22:23
I can 2nd Zante - in fact i got married there :)

I stayed in Tsilivi which is much quieter than Lagana, but still enough to keep you occupied. The island itself is very small and can be done in a day in a hire car :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-05-2007, 22:35
that isn't completely full of lager louts,

You might not get in then ;)

Went to Crete a few years back, knossos (sp) is worth a visit, big island so plenty of scope for finding a quiet place too

Mr_love_monkey
08-05-2007, 22:38
You might not get in then ;)

I'll have you know I'm a lager Gentleman these days - my lout days are far behind me (well, atleast when the wife is with me :) )

Went to Crete a few years back, knossos (sp) is worth a visit, big island so plenty of scope for finding a quiet place too

Yeah, I'm thinking one of the bigger islands might be a better bet.

danielf
08-05-2007, 22:54
<snip>

Oh hello! Long time no see. Good to see you back :) :tu:

Chris W
09-05-2007, 00:09
Paphos in Cyprus.

I went there with my best mate and his family when i was younger. We stayed in an all inclusive hotel (although we stayed in an apartment in the hotel rather than rooms) and it was really good. Plenty of activities during the day (table tennis, football matches, games in the swimming pool etc) and entertainment in the evenings. Lots of tourist locations around cyprus as well, just bear in mind that you can't cross into the Turkish half of the island.

How old are your children?