PDA

View Full Version : Traffic shaping = Stop complaining and pay more

pedrohizzo
07-05-2007, 20:23
Browsing over the complaints on the forum over the traffic shaping, i have noticed a trend of people saying we should just suck it up and pay more for the next tier of service when for years we have had an acceptable level of speed and price plan (for me atleast) to be honest i have absolutely no need for a 10mb connection nevermind 20mb, i can't even think of a use for it.

you people are part of the problem that is wrong with our country these days in regards to overpricing, it seems to be the british way, not say anything and just accept things the way they are. i can't see a single reason why i should have to accept these changes or why anyone would defend a company who is implementing what basically amounts to a degredation of their service.

but hey, it wont affect me, why should i care? :dunce:

Paul K
07-05-2007, 20:26
Maybe it's the people affecting the service with their constant hammering of their connection that you should be posting at and not the people saying that you should accept that VM have actually stood up to the plate and enforced an AUP which most providers have in some form but are only enforcing by stealth.

on in an hour!
07-05-2007, 20:27
Browsing over the complaints on the forum over the traffic shaping, i have noticed a trend of people saying we should just suck it up and pay more for the next tier of service when for years we have had an acceptable level of speed and price plan (for me atleast) to be honest i have absolutely no need for a 10mb connection nevermind 20mb, i can't even think of a use for it.

you people are part of the problem that is wrong with our country these days in regards to overpricing, it seems to be the british way, not say anything and just accept things the way they are. i can't see a single reason why i should have to accept these changes or why anyone would defend a company who is implementing what basically amounts to a degredation of their service.

but hey,why should you bother to post a contentious thread???

pedrohizzo
07-05-2007, 20:31
If the network isn't capable of handling the amount of traffic that is currently being used, why would they increase download speed by 100%

what is the point? why not try to provide an acceptable level of service, instead of overselling something that they cannot provide?

Paul H
07-05-2007, 20:33
Maybe it's the people affecting the service with their constant hammering of their connection that you should be posting at and not the people saying that you should accept that VM have actually stood up to the plate and enforced an AUP which most providers have in some form but are only enforcing by stealth.

lol Paul. that is exactly the thing Virgin want you to believe. it's all the customers fault and not theirs. I think you are joking really :LOL:

Paul K
07-05-2007, 20:37
Because the people hammering the network and causing issues now were doing exactly the same on 10Mb and were causing the same network loading issues. As fast as VM or any ISP upgrades it's hardware to absorb extra traffic you will always find people looking to use as much bandwidth as possible no matter what effect they have on others. You seem to be blissful in your ignorance of the huuuuuuge debt that VM/ NTL are in so please tell how you think that they can afford to upgrade equipment at the drop of a hat to try and stay in front of all the P2P whores that seem intent on downloading the entire internet????

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

lol Paul. that is exactly the thing Virgin want you to believe. it's all the customers fault and not theirs. I think you are joking really :LOL:

I take it you ignore all posts by the idiots that are stating that they download 100s of Gb each week? Or do you just read and comment on the stuff that you think you can get away with? You seem intent on only questioning certain posters on this forum and in doing so you are showing your true colours.

Paul H
07-05-2007, 20:39
Because the people hammering the network and causing issues now were doing exactly the same on 10Mb and were causing the same network loading issues. As fast as VM or any ISP upgrades it's hardware to absorb extra traffic you will always find people looking to use as much bandwidth as possible no matter what effect they have on others. You seem to be blissful in your ignorance of the huuuuuuge debt that VM/ NTL are in so please tell how you think that they can afford to upgrade equipment at the drop of a hat to try and stay in front of all the P2P whores that seem intent on downloading the entire internet????

You say in your post that they can't afford to upgrade equipment to be able to provide a service because they are in huge debt. that answers a lot of questions. even the one about why bring out a 20Mb connection.

kingdeacon
07-05-2007, 20:40
If the network isn't capable of handling the amount of traffic that is currently being used, why would they increase download speed by 100%

what is the point? why not try to provide an acceptable level of service, instead of overselling something that they cannot provide?

simple... they will sell more conections now
which will in turn make the problem worse.

papa smurf
07-05-2007, 20:42
You say in your post that they can't afford to upgrade equipment to be able to provide a service because they are in huge debt. that answers a lot of questions. even the one about why bring out a 20Mb connection.

but they can pay top managers £ millions in bonus,thats where the upgrade moneys gone

Paul H
07-05-2007, 20:42
I take it you ignore all posts by the idiots that are stating that they download 100s of Gb each week? Or do you just read and comment on the stuff that you think you can get away with? You seem intent on only questioning certain posters on this forum and in doing so you are showing your true colours.

I comment on stuff that I choose to comment on. which posts do you mostly comment on? when was the last time I questioned you? if you have something to say that I want to reply to with a view, either the same as yours, or an opposing view. then I will :mad:

Sirpingalot
07-05-2007, 20:45

Absolutely. The AUP was only enforced as a result of heavy downloaders using too much of the network capacity. At least Virgin have put a clear line between what will, and what will not result in the throttling of the service.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

simple... they will sell more conections now
which will in turn make the problem worse.

Which in turn will result in the loss of customers. And a greater debt.

pedrohizzo
So you are saying VM are in debt caused by people downloading too much and their solution is to increase the amount they can download? does that actually make sense to anyone? or are you not seeing that all they are doing is fleecing most of their customers by trying to get them to upgrade to a service they dont need or want.

Paul K

The fact that as NTL they faced bankruptcy should point to why they are having to do what they are doing, controlling the P2P kiddies and therefor releasing bandwidth at peak times to other users is about the only way they have of balancing the load on their current equipment. If you can offer the fastest current speeds available it is a great advertising tool, this brings in new customers which in turn brings in new money.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/01/13/ntl_quits_chapter/

Sirpingalot
07-05-2007, 20:50
So you are saying VM are in debt caused by people downloading too much and their solution is to increase the amount they can download? does that actually make sense to anyone? or are you not seeing that all they are doing is fleecing most of their customers by trying to get them to upgrade to a service they dont need or want.

It's to make the package seem more attractive to prospective customers. It is overselling, really.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

The fact that as NTL they faced bankruptcy should point to why they are having to do what they are doing, controlling the P2P kiddies and therefor releasing bandwidth at peak times to other users is about the only way they have of balancing the load on their current equipment. If you can offer the fastest current speeds available it is a great advertising tool, this brings in new customers which in turn brings in new money.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/01/13/ntl_quits_chapter/

But it is a big gamble. And could potentially result in even greater debt due to the current network not being able to cope with 10mb as it is.

Paul H
It's to make the package seem more attractive to prospective customers. It is overselling, really.

Spot on. they will keep on over selling in the background. while we suffer as a result :)

on in an hour!
but they can pay top managers £ millions in bonus,thats where the upgrade moneys gone

on that train of thought papa you could say why spend so much on sponsorship etc,... they will always endeavour to pay top dollar to the 'important' people as they see them as the ones who keep the ship floating,(when we all know its us at the sharp end who keep customers on-board) they set budgets for everything at the beggining of the financial year,when its gone its gone.thats why theyre trying to reduce the no fault found returned set tops cause capt kirks budget has been reduced,and he needs most of it to pay overtime to the already overworked CST's because we are massively understaffed.double standards,i know,but a fact of life in this game m8 :confused:

BlackAle
07-05-2007, 21:05

They're bringing out a 20Mb service I'd guess to stay competitive in the marketplace, in regard to the increasing number of ADSL2 offers, etc.

You seem to forget that the point of higher speeds for most people is to be able to download the stuff they want faster, rather than wanting to download more.

My own usage has roughly stayed the same since being on a 1mbit connection, around 70 to 100 gigs a month.

pedrohizzo
07-05-2007, 21:07
I might be going on a bit, but all they seem to be doing is delaying the inevitable. Surely they have to come to a point where they can only offer x amount of bandwidth at y amount of speed. i'm sure the majority of people would be happier knowing they have unlimited downloading at whatever speed 24/7 at a reasonable price, Instead of them hiding behind an AUP to offer a service that they can't afford. they are basically offering a service on the condition that you dont use it to its full potential at the time you most want to.

BlackAle
07-05-2007, 21:10

All home broadband services are 'oversold' as you call it, actually I'd say the majority of all broadband solutions are, unless you want to pay for a 1:1 contended line, such as a leased line. I saw a great offer for a 10mbit leased line earlier, it was a bargain £7200 per annum, though I suspect that isn't a 1:1 contended line.

dav
07-05-2007, 21:13
they are basically offering a service on the condition that you dont use it to its full potential at the time you most want to.

well said. Wish I had put it like that

Paul H
07-05-2007, 21:16
You seem to forget that the point of higher speeds for most people is to be able to download the stuff they want faster, rather than wanting to download more.

Sorry. I don't know if you're having a go at me or not. I completely agree with that so I haven't forgotten.

Sirpingalot
07-05-2007, 21:17
they are basically offering a service on the condition that you dont use it to its full potential at the time you most want to.

I approve.

BlackAle
07-05-2007, 21:25
Sorry. I don't know if you're having a go at me or not. I completely agree with that so I haven't forgotten.

Oops, sorry. No I wasn't having a go at you. :o:

homealone
07-05-2007, 21:29
I might be going on a bit, but all they seem to be doing is delaying the inevitable. Surely they have to come to a point where they can only offer x amount of bandwidth at y amount of speed. i'm sure the majority of people would be happier knowing they have unlimited downloading at whatever speed 24/7 at a reasonable price, Instead of them hiding behind an AUP to offer a service that they can't afford. they are basically offering a service on the condition that you dont use it to its full potential at the time you most want to.

That has never been any different, it has always been sold as a contended sevice, they will never offer 24/7 full speed downloading for 100% of customers - nor will any other ISP offering a domestic service.

If you want that kind of connection, get a leased line. :)

I just wish they would get rid of the 'unlimited' description in their adverts...

Paul H
07-05-2007, 21:33
Oops, sorry. No I wasn't having a go at you. :o:

:Oh:

v0id
07-05-2007, 22:09
I just wish they would get rid of the 'unlimited' description in their adverts...

I think you'll find they have. It's now changed to "No Download Limits", which is exactly what's available. You CAN download as much as you want, however between the hours of 4pm and 12am it'll just take you longer.

boodykaka
07-05-2007, 22:26
Iam on 4meg BB & a 350meg limit is a joke, I think you will see a change in a few weeks if everyone find's out about it. I hope this reaches the National papers as the average VM subscriber would not have found this out. Are VM not meant to notify their customers of a change in the service? I have already sent e-mail to some of the papers regarding this

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Is it true that downloads will be capped?
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/faq/#downloadscapped

Paul H
07-05-2007, 22:31
Iam on 4meg BB & a 350meg limit is a joke, I think you will see a change in a few weeks if everyone find's out about it. I hope this reaches the National papers as the average VM subscriber would not have found this out. Are VM not meant to notify their customers of a change in the service? I have already sent e-mail to some of the papers regarding this

I posted this before.

Section 4i
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...ble/terms.html (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html)
You will find that the STM system they are currently using is actually in
breach of their own T&C. In section 4i they state "If we make such changes
we will notify you as soon as possible.". This is not happening and no-one
actually knows if they are being limited or if there is a fault in the
system. By failing to inform the customer that they have hit their "limit"
and that their connection has been "limited" they are, in effect, breaching
the contract. This leaves VM open to compensation claims as well as
prosecution by the OFT and possibly OFCOM.

RXP
07-05-2007, 22:32
Anyone care for a class action suit?

pmdelany
07-05-2007, 22:42
Interesting how on their information page at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

there is a contradiction as to who will be affected. One the one hand it says:

Will my download speed be affected?

Your speed won't be moderated unless you're in the top 5% of downloaders.

This means that if the top 5% downloaded 10GB in prime time then they will be the only ones affected and everyone else can download 9.99GB with no worries.

HOWEVER further down it says:

Any users hitting this amount (difference values for different packages) during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed.

I wonder if you are being throtled you can phone up and ask for proof that you were in the top 5% at the time.

boodykaka
07-05-2007, 22:48
I spoke to Tarbas the Egyptian Magician earlier & he say's it will all go pear shape:tu:

Sirpingalot
07-05-2007, 22:50
Interesting how on their information page at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

This means that if the top 5% downloaded 10GB in prime time then they will be the only ones affected and everyone else can download 9.99GB with no worries.

Any users hitting this amount (difference values for different packages) during peak times (4pm till midnight) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed.

I wonder if you are being throtled you can phone up and ask for proof that you were in the top 5% at the time.

Interesting:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

I spoke to Tarbas the Egyptian Magician earlier & he say's it will all go pear shape:tu:

Yeah, he told me that too.;)

Nedkelly
07-05-2007, 22:52

:LOL: Got his Number :)

slowcoach
07-05-2007, 22:55
Aren't VM just reallocating bandwidth in favour of VOD, just a thought. :dozey:

pedrohizzo
07-05-2007, 23:00
it's a blatant marketing ploy, nothing else. anyone who actually thinks they need a 20mb connection is going to blaze through their 3gb allowance and then be restricted to 5mb, a 25% increase over 4mb for a 50% increase in price, marketing genius :D

BlackAle
07-05-2007, 23:13
Iam on 4meg BB & a 350meg limit is a joke

The 4mbit service has a 750 megabyte limit not a 350 megabyte one.

chamoan
07-05-2007, 23:21
Finally VM have published details of what they are doing, its far from great, but atleast you know what the score is now, But i wish they would stop advertising as UNLIMITED!

Maggy
07-05-2007, 23:32
Oh look! ANOTHER let's bash Virgin Media thread.

Well we haven't had one of those in.......oh let's see......about 20 minutes.:D

pedrohizzo
07-05-2007, 23:33
i wasn't bashing VM directly, i was however bashing people like you :angel:

Maggy
07-05-2007, 23:34
i wasn't bashing VM directly, i was however bashing people like you :angel:

Oh why?:erm:

pedrohizzo
07-05-2007, 23:37
because you come into threads where people raise legitimate concerns over a service they pay for, on a forum for the service they are paying for and make snide comments, without offering much to the thread you are posting in.

Paul H
07-05-2007, 23:37
Oh look! ANOTHER let's bash Virgin Media thread.

Well we haven't had one of those in.......oh let's see......about 20 minutes.:D

That long? :D

Maggy
07-05-2007, 23:45
because you come into threads where people raise legitimate concerns over a service they pay for, on a forum for the service they are paying for and make snide comments, without offering much to the thread you are posting in.

Oh you mean like you do?All I have ever seen you do anywhere in this site is bash VM..You make no other contributions otherwise..and if you had even noticed this is not a VM bashing site.It is a site to offer help to cable customers and thus far I see little help offered by you.

Plus I wasn't asking you was I?

Paul H
08-05-2007, 00:00
It is a site to offer help to cable customers

I keep hearing and reading people say that this is a help site. isn't it a discussion site too? serious question btw.

Sirpingalot
08-05-2007, 00:16
I suppose it's what you make it...

pedrohizzo
08-05-2007, 00:57
Oh you mean like you do?All I have ever seen you do anywhere in this site is bash VM..You make no other contributions otherwise..and if you had even noticed this is not a VM bashing site.It is a site to offer help to cable customers and thus far I see little help offered by you.

Plus I wasn't asking you was I?

perhaps you should go and read the original post in this thread by me and explain to me how the original post is a bash at virgin media, when i was discussing the attitudes of people who pop their heads into posts stating that if we dont like the service we should pay more or change service despite it working perfectly well until now.

Your comments illustrate perfectly the attitudes of some of the people i have seen respond to others complaining about ntl/virgin media/traffic shaping and thus the reason for my post.

Plus, the way your comment was made was directed at the thread/topic as a whole and as i started it i took it to be aimed at me.

also, im not a regular at this site, as you seem to be with however many posts all i've seen of you is what you have contributed to this thread, doesn't seem like you contribute much either.

Virgin Media
08-05-2007, 01:18
they will never offer 24/7 full speed downloading for 100% of customers - nor will any other ISP offering a domestic service.

Thats entirely incorrect. ...And only uninformed people who are not technically up on cable infrustrcutrues and indeed what other 1st world countries are offering their citzens concerning cable Internet services would be sucked into that... shall we say - propaganda.

If you want that kind of connection, get a leased line. :)

Now that is propaganda.

Why? I did and have done 30 gigs on evenings and not had a single problem due to the simple fact of my area being optimum and above all that shaping isn't in my area. Nor should it.

Take away the unlimited and fine. But they don't because they are actually providing my area with unlimited. ..Yeah they changed the wording BUT its the same thing!

Remember the crap some people said before the shaping? ''my connection is slow'' ''why is it slow'' and the reasons why is because of a certain amount of cowboy cable areas in this country. NOT shaping and not a low, measly figure of 5% of downloaders.

Simply for the last few years there has always been dodgy areas in this country who are not providing optimum services which cable is known to bring. My connection is proof that fortunately there is optimum areas.

PS. Some people think that the Swedes have somehow pushed the boat out when all have they done is make sure the cables are fat and working! (Yes they have prodived symetrical bandwidth... but thats due to how optimum cable is. It simply is great for getting information around without traffic and conjestion.) ...And whatever they did do... the South Koreans make it look like Dial-Up.

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 01:48
Virgin and other ISP's love peeps like Paul (page 1), they pay the full price and dont complain when the price rises but the service becomes limited in the way it was not before, if everyone was like this then there would be no progress, we would all use 56k or at most 128k (ideal for web and mail use), its demand and competition that makes this faster and cheaper over time and the ISP's are to blame selling us on HD TV services and VOD etc so we need faster connections, and I for one do not believe Paul has never downloaded Warez.

Quoted

"The fact that as NTL they faced bankruptcy should point to why they are having to do what they are doing, controlling the P2P kiddies"

Its been proven weeks ago on some forum that the high end users take up little of the network over the average users, its the fact NTL (under Virgin guise) have oversubscribed many UBR's up and down the country (mines inc).

NTL's receivership was their own fault for sponsering too many football clubs ans buying into companies (I believe they bought large part if not all of QVC shopping channel, I could be wrong), added to that crazy amount of millions ($36m) they paid that dog Uma Thurman to do a few adverts that dont do anything for me to want more virgin services.

If we all lay down and took the crap others gave out we would still have children working down the mines and have no holidays per year and crap wages, it takes the public will power and voice to progress things even though these days not in the extreme way past history shows us with riots etc, but in more democratic ways.

B4its2L8
08-05-2007, 02:36
it's a blatant marketing ploy, nothing else. anyone who actually thinks they need a 20mb connection is going to blaze through their 3gb allowance and then be restricted to 5mb, a 25% increase over 4mb for a 50% increase in price, marketing genius

However they have a 500% increase in speed (even if that is outside peak hours) and a 400% increase in download limit for that 50% increase in price.

pedrohizzo
08-05-2007, 02:48
what exactly are they going to do with a 20mb connection that i can't do on a 4mb or even 2mb connection?

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 03:12
Is that question not kind of daft since it answers itself, what can you do with a Lotus Esprite on our roads in UK than you cant do with a Ford Fiesta ?

For one he can upload say photos far faster and host a bigger online game, or plain and simply download far faster than you can or download more then 1file at same time as fast as you can, he will there for be on loading the servers for far less time than you are waiting on the same file to complete.

I think you really need to ask the ISP what they have got 2meg, 4meg and 20meg since they introduced it not the end users, it obv has a market.

pedrohizzo
08-05-2007, 03:18
you mean he will be congesting our lines and causing higher prices and stricter download limits ;)

he can't do anything, his speed is restricted, he pays more for petrol, he pays higher insurance, and he can still only go the same speed. only difference is he gets to brag that he has a lotus esprite that goes 0 - 20mb in 60seconds but my fiesta still gets me to the same place in an acceptable amount of time.

BlackAle
08-05-2007, 03:19
what exactly are they going to do with a 20mb connection that i can't do on a 4mb or even 2mb connection?

Also why fly to the US, when you can go by boat!

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 03:21
Not really, YOU will be on the server at 100% speed far longer than he is grabbing same file, so its 6 v 1/2 dozen but he DOES pay a premium unlike you to use it so ISP like him more so does Richard ;)

B4its2L8
08-05-2007, 03:23

If you are replying to me then I've no interest, that's their concern
I was merely pointing out that you can often use statistics to back up any argument but that all the statistics should be pointed out, not just those that suit you.

pedrohizzo
08-05-2007, 03:31
yes i understand that but most people say that they pay for a premium service (20mb) so they should get a better service, lets compare :D

20mb = £37.00 or £1.85 per mbps

10mb = £37.00 or £3.70 per mbps

4mb = £25.00 or £6.25 per mbps

2mb = £15.00 or £7.50 per mbps

i pay more for my service why should i expect a lower level of service?

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 03:34
Who said you are getting a lower service, you are getting lower speeds but easy to fix, dig deep in your pocket and pay for more if needed, I and others paid TW-BY £50pm for 2meg back in the day before FREE upogrades came about.

If you pay £10k for a Fiesta 1.1L and someone else pays £15k for a Fiesta 1.8Ghia, you would expect his car to be better.

pedrohizzo
08-05-2007, 03:36
i dont need more, i need the full speed when i need it, which can be at 2am or 8pm, which i have had for the last 5 yrs+, why are people actually defending a company who is reducing their level of service and promoting a service they cannot supply?

what would you say if the dealer said you can have your 1.8 ghia but you can only drive it at 1.1l fiesta speeds from 4pm to 4am?

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 03:39
I aint defending them, I have said above and elsewhere the Shaping is a joke and will cost them many users and NTL are the pits of a ISP (Virgin name now), but thats nothing to do with why 1 person needs of 20meg and the fact if they need to come here and justify the need for it or not.

pedrohizzo
08-05-2007, 03:46
the reason i am getting lower speeds is because a magic number appeared and apparently profit margins aren't being met, they deployed a high speed service they can't support or maintain for the high speed, high bandwidth market which is the target and as a result the lower tiers are being used as a crutch to support it, thats just how i see things.

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 03:50
So you aint moaning about others needing 20meg, you are complaining about your connection is slower than you are paying for ?, like my 10meg was down as low as 1/2meg daily for the past 7-8 months since NTL took over (Im now 20meg)

pedrohizzo
08-05-2007, 03:54
i dont agree with the bandwidth shaping at all which is my main gripe also the attitudes of people saying if you dont like it pay more, why should i pay more? when people are paying less and getting more than i am?

also i can't think of any reason anyone would need a 20mb service. maybe there is a genuine use for it but i cant think of one.

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 04:00
Thats still nothing to do with it the 20meg users are intitled to it if they pay for it, to use legitly or not is between them and the ISP, are you getting your full speed anytime or like many of the 10meg users (many now 20meg) are you getting slow as hell speeds or is this purely down to Shaping after you hit the XXMB limit ?.

I wouldnt tell anyone thats on 2meg or 4meg to pay more so as to avoid low limit of the Shaping there on as they are unhappy with Shaping, I do however tell 2meg and 4meg users (forgeting Shaping as its new and Im talking about forever in past) if they want more speed stop moaning about FREE upgrades and pay for more then, I did pay to go from 1/2meg to 1meg and then 2meg.

pedrohizzo
08-05-2007, 04:11
no offense, i dont understand what you just said. :confused:

edit: i get full speed until i hit my massive 750mb limit

Paul K
08-05-2007, 06:20
Then don't download 750Mb during the peak period, you'll keep your speed if you don't do that.

Martie07
08-05-2007, 06:44
I know i can not overuse my connection, i hate people who hammer their network as it causes issues for people who care about the actual internet "quality". i play games and suffer with stupid pings in peak hours, hopefully this will stop that.

I was wondering though, is uploading also reduced in speed? i have to use my upload to send my edited movies to my FTP, and it already takes hours to upload something. I would love to See VM increasing the upload more then the Download.

beats my why they jumped the gun to 20mbit though, why not 15?

Bill C
08-05-2007, 06:55
Aren't VM just reallocating bandwidth in favour of VOD, just a thought. :dozey:

Go ask the man down the pub. VOD has NOTHING to do with broadband and does not take bandwidth from it :).

Paul K
08-05-2007, 07:00
I know i can not overuse my connection, i hate people who hammer their network as it causes issues for people who care about the actual internet "quality". i play games and suffer with stupid pings in peak hours, hopefully this will stop that.

I was wondering though, is uploading also reduced in speed? i have to use my upload to send my edited movies to my FTP, and it already takes hours to upload something. I would love to See VM increasing the upload more then the Download.

beats my why they jumped the gun to 20mbit though, why not 15?
Maybe upstream bandwidth costs more ;) Going to 20Mb was just a case of staying up with the competition since ADSL services offer upto speeds close to that already. If you get left behind or are seen to be sitting back and not pushing your system then customers start demanding speed increases or price reductions. Personally I don't think VM should move to 50Mb until the network upgrades are further along or until the limits have had time to settle in and be tweaked if needed,

slowcoach
08-05-2007, 11:36
Go ask the man down the pub. VOD has NOTHING to do with broadband and does not take bandwidth from it :).
Just checking. :dozey:

Stuart
08-05-2007, 11:57

What it actually says now (and I am pretty sure did last night) is

Your speed won't be moderated unless you're in the top 5% of downloaders. Our boffins recently ran a trial to see how much our service was being affected. They discovered that, in certain areas, just 5% of customers were downloading such a large amount of content that it was affecting the service for other users in these areas.

And we're not talking about just a few video clips. In some cases the top 5% of users were downloading as much as 3GB, just during peak times. That's around 750 music tracks in the space of a few hours.

So, unless you're downloading an unusually large amount of information at peak times, we won't restrict your service and you can download to your heart's content.

No mention of 9 gig in there..

dav
08-05-2007, 12:22
What it actually says now (and I am pretty sure did last night) is

No mention of 9 gig in there..

You're right, it has always said what you quoted. I think pmdelany was trying to quote single lines and then add an interpretation or comment immediately after it.

:notopic:
While we're (sort of) on the subject of the 'announcement', I wish VM would change their approach to their customers and adopt a more professional attitude in how they address us. I'm not a mid to late 20's cool dude, and I suspect 95% of their customers aren't either. I don't look like any of the models used in their marketing (who does?). Referring to their 'boffins' assumes I'm stupid and denegrates said professionals. It's all a bit odd considering the guy at the top is a hairy old fella.

parky
08-05-2007, 12:34
If you are not a download hog (i.e. downloading more than your fair share) why are you bothered about this?

As someone who is more interested in speed rather than quantity (as most reasonable users are) then the shaping makes sense and seems fair to me.

A small minority of people have abused the unlimited downloads facility to the extent that they are degrading the service for the majority.

Sure Virgin could invest even more so that this issue goes away, but it would cost us all more, just to keep the 'hogs' happy.

You also have to question what these people who are using such large quantities of data are actually downloading. I bet it's mostly illegal file sharing anyway.

Ian

RXP
08-05-2007, 12:37
Reasonable as defined by you, rather than the market eh?

parky
08-05-2007, 12:53

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Is it true that downloads will be capped?
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/faq/#downloadscapped

Will this even affect you?
Are you really going to download over 350MB between the hours of 4pm and midnight?
It only applies on the day you do download over 350Mb between those hours and then only for 4 hours.
What the hell are you downloading that this will affect you, or should I not ask?

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Reasonable as defined by you, rather than the market eh?

How will it directly affect you?
I am keen to understand what impact this will have on you?
Are you one of the 5% that Virgin is talking about?
If you are then maybe they will not be bothered if you leave and get your service somewhere else, as that would remove part of the problem.

I am not trying to wind you up, but if this really does not affect 95% of users in a bad way and in fact improves their service then overall it is a good thing.

The 5% who may suffer are the ones causing the problem in the first place by abusing the service provided, above and beyond what the 'majority' of users see as normal usage.

It is always the same in these cases, the abusers are the ones who complain the most because they are being prevented from abusing in the future.

I welcome the shaping and I hope that many of the 5% actually leave and take their excessive usage somewhere else. If at any time I happen to go over the download limits (which I doubt), then I understand why they are in place and I accept them because I respect other users.

Ian

dav
08-05-2007, 12:53
Will this even affect you?
Are you really going to download over 350MB between the hours of 4pm and midnight?
It only applies on the day you do download over 350Mb between those hours and then only for 4 hours.
What the hell are you downloading that this will affect you, or should I not ask?

I think it would be incredibly easy to bust the 350MB limit. Watch a few movie trailers, visit a few media content rich sites, play a couple of hours of online gaming etc, the MB's will soon rack up. What about those damned Apple Mac video ads that seem to be on half the world's websites and continue to run whether you're interested or not? Surely that is as good an example as any of wasted bandwidth that we have pushed at us?

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 12:55
Parky, what timezone do you life in, cause in the 21st Centuary 350MB is nothing.

Example :His son comes home from school and goes to Gamershell and grabs this HD Game trailer : http://www.gamershell.com/download_19035.shtml

Size: 366.33MB
Downloads: 94 (W: 94 - D: 94)
Hosted since: May 8, 2007, 10:29 am

Description: 2:14 of cinematic footage

Now he is Shaped for the next 4 hours and kicks his sons butt as he needed full use of his service.

I do not believe any user on any size needs to come here and justify there use of a speed or amount of data downloaded, and the ones who say things like "what can you possibly do to need download 350MB" or "who legitly needs 20meg" really need to learn about the modern world of digital media. :)

Parky I would like to see the users like you go elsewhere as 56K or 128k at best is all you seem to need, not the top 5% who pay far more than you do per month (at 1 point £50pm for 2meg) then the users would be able to demand better prices and that part of the profits goes towards upgrading the old and battered network instead of being pocketed or wasted paying ugly has been movies stars $36Million for a run of adverts and sponsering football teams to the stage where the ISP is in recievership.

If the ISP's had customers all like you they would have bad speeds and crap Caps all over the place and Britain would fall behind even more so in the world, even places you and I class as 3rd World have better speeds for less than we do.

rogerdraig
08-05-2007, 13:04
this is just another example of a company not providing what it advertises

1 if its just 5% of the people doing this then kick them off using the AUP not throttle everyone

2 what's the point of 20meg connection that you cant use to its fullest in the time when most people get to use their computer which is after work and before bed

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 13:08
Hmm, a bit of contradiction in 2 sentances above, 1minute ban all heavy users, next complain you cant use the 20meg as much as you like.

I think you need to try google that finding a few weeks ago (sure its linked to on the forum) where as the top 5% make up little of the total traffic used its mostly the middle "Joe six pack" users who take most of the bandwidth as they far outnumber others users.

RXP
08-05-2007, 13:13
W
How will it directly affect you?

It won't, and I download anywhere from 100-500gb a month. That's the point.

All the stats you used are from VM, they are not 3rd party stats and cannot be verified, using them to further your argument means your argument is inherently biased.

If it was 5%, then it would be dynamic and VM coudln't give an absolute level of when limiting kicks in. It would depend on each UBR's capacity, some are prolly better than others and usage at that particular time.

Steve-o||[^]
08-05-2007, 13:17
...to be honest i have absolutely no need for a 10mb connection nevermind 20mb, i can't even think of a use for it.

ditto. 4mbit/s does me perfectly (well, dis-regarding this shaping thing). I am contemplating getting the 20mbit/s service because it has a greater upstream speed...and tbh. when you`re working on a multimedia app. or similar waiting hours to upload a few FLV videos that goes with it, sucks major balls!

imo. 'lower speed' services with a decent upload (say...maybe a meg) and a range of usage levels would help towards everyone getting a decent service. for example,

3mbit/s down, 0.5mbit/s up.
4mbit/s down, 0.75mbit/s up.
5mbit/s down, 1mbit/s up.

with monthly usage levels between 50GB-300GB/mth

that way, customers can 'build' a package that best suits their needs - and are billed accordingly, say...a base price for the speed then x per GB/10GB/whatever for usage?. and if they exceed their usage they can either 'top-up' or have their line throttled/shaped to speeds ok for checking email and such.

going down the 'hey! lets have more speed - even though we can`t handle it for more than a few hours a day!' route is gonna leave people with (or is that, people are gonna leave?) a very, very sucky service!

</rant>

kar
08-05-2007, 15:25

Agreed. The guys that seem happiest, ironically, are the top tier blokes who can still pull down 6gb per night at 20mb and even when they are capped they still get 5mb.

I have no problem with traffic management, but I'm happy with 4mb, less so with 2mb. I don't use 3gb of traffic between 4-12 but I do use more than 750mb. That 'limit' is an utter **** take. If they would have just made the lower tier limits a smidge higher this would be all okay, but right now they are effectively saying if you are on 4mb and download a game off the ps3 network you are a bad boy.

Yet they allow the top tier guys - the ones who are really owning the network - go bananas still.

It's almost cynical then from VM to suggest this is about avoiding traffic jams. It's about (imo) making the top tier product more attractive to people who otherwise wouldn't want it by making the lower tiers _less_ attractive.

It's no wonder the 20mb guys have no problem with this management, it's the lower tiers taking the brunt of the hit while they largely (in real world terms) have their connections unaffected.

Nice bit of product marketing that - make the cheaper products suck a bit more so that they upgrade. :td:

parky
08-05-2007, 15:34
Parky, what timezone do you life in, cause in the 21st Centuary 350MB is nothing.

Example :His son comes home from school and goes to Gamershell and grabs this HD Game trailer : http://www.gamershell.com/download_19035.shtml

Size: 366.33MB
Downloads: 94 (W: 94 - D: 94)
Hosted since: May 8, 2007, 10:29 am

Description: 2:14 of cinematic footage

Now he is Shaped for the next 4 hours and kicks his sons butt as he needed full use of his service.

I do not believe any user on any size needs to come here and justify there use of a speed or amount of data downloaded, and the ones who say things like "what can you possibly do to need download 350MB" or "who legitly needs 20meg" really need to learn about the modern world of digital media. :)

Parky I would like to see the users like you go elsewhere as 56K or 128k at best is all you seem to need, not the top 5% who pay far more than you do per month (at 1 point £50pm for 2meg) then the users would be able to demand better prices and that part of the profits goes towards upgrading the old and battered network instead of being pocketed or wasted paying ugly has been movies stars $36Million for a run of adverts and sponsering football teams to the stage where the ISP is in recievership.

If the ISP's had customers all like you they would have bad speeds and crap Caps all over the place and Britain would fall behind even more so in the world, even places you and I class as 3rd World have better speeds for less than we do.

Actually I pay £25 a moth for the 4MB service, which does not get shaped until you cross the 750MB limit. You also seem to be able to know exactly what I use the internet for, well you are clearly wrong. I do download plenty (legally) and also publish many web sites, etc. What I don't do is have my machine sat there all night illegally downloading movies via a BitTorrent. It is very easy to come up with an example of a child legitimately using the internet, but the main culprits that have caused this are the people who have no consideration for others property or the effect they cause by over use.

How long would it take to download the 366MB file you quoted using the 2MB service the 'fictional' user is on? (after all you specified the 350MB limit so it must be a 2MB service). Better still just get the kid to download it at the weekend during the day when the limits do not apply.

If you don't like the service - go somewhere else!

peanut
08-05-2007, 15:52

And that's your very cleverly thought out response I take it. Thanks for that, now I know your reasoning I now know that it's pointless to read anything from you on this matter. :rolleyes:

Some people just can't see the woods for trees.

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 16:22
Parky thats crap as you stated what would anyone need to download 350MB for so pointing to users on the 2meg speed, I came back with 1 very valid file to prove 350MB is nothing these days and dont tell lies, you were the one that specified a 350MB limit so I knew it was talking about the 2meg service, the proof is bellow.

Quote:

" Will this even affect you?
What the hell are you downloading that this will affect you, or should I not ask? ".

Seems you dont know what you mean, my reply showed 1 HD Game trailer that was over 350MB, and I did like my service before NTL took over and oversubsribed the UBR's then introduced Shaping to cover there backsides, so your are the fool for taking it all lying down and getting shafted for some lacking service you may not have signed up for years ago, and I can bet you anything that VM want my service more than yours as of the cash I pay them per month, so much so I have had and still have deals to keep me with them, not so much the money side of things that keeps me but the promise of things will be fixed so its only to tide me over but I will go if its not addressed.

From your posts and reponces and lies about statements you make but claim others made them even though we can easily quote your posts points out to me you are clueless and if we all were like you VM would have us all on 56k or 128k with crappy caps and sky high prices.

slowcoach
08-05-2007, 16:27
The only fair way is to base the amount of “full speed bandwidth allocation” as a percentage of the price you are paying, just choosing the amount out of the air is bound to be seen as unfair and as previously stated, just a ploy to make people move to a higher tier.

The only reason most people went to cable was for more speed, it certainly wasn't to grab a bargain.

Safeman
08-05-2007, 16:35
this is just another example of a company not providing what it advertises

1 if its just 5% of the people doing this then kick them off using the AUP not throttle everyone

2 what's the point of 20meg connection that you cant use to its fullest in the time when most people get to use their computer which is after work and before bedWell put m8 i agree with that 100%

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 16:38
Lol, you agree with the OP who posts 2 sentances which both contradict each other ? as said in my post before.

Quote:

" Hmm, a bit of contradiction in 2 sentances above, 1minute ban all heavy users, next complain you cant use the 20meg as much as you like.

I think you need to try google that finding a few weeks ago (sure its linked to on the forum) where as the top 5% make up little of the total traffic used its mostly the middle "Joe six pack" users who take most of the bandwidth as they far outnumber others users. "

Safeman
08-05-2007, 16:40
edit lol

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 16:42
where ? :)

Safeman
08-05-2007, 16:47
if this is going to mess up the traffic y roll 20mb its been great on 10mb i have had little problems with 10mb connection btw bump is the new 255 better than the 250 for handling the speed or ???? are they the same

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

makes me laugh this bit m8 And we're not talking about just a few video clips. In some cases the top 5% of users were downloading as much as 3GB, just during peak times come on 3gb lmao

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 16:48
No idea, I have a old Moto SB 4100 good to 38meg D and 10meg U, I agree they would have been better to fix all issues on UBR's and get 10meg working as it used to before they got greedy talking on too many new customers and then worry about 20meg, now they are talking about 50meg, WTF is point if its slow on and off all day as of UBR issues then Shaped after XXMB limits.

VM should make a new service called the "n00b package" for peeps who dont care about getting a crap service thats got speeds up and down all day long due to oversubscription on local UBR's nationally and then after they grab XXMB they get shaped for 4hours, and then charge them a "arm and a leg" per month to use it and change the clauses in the agreement anytime they feel fit even after they have signed up to older aggrements years before. :dunce:

boodykaka
08-05-2007, 16:52
Actually I pay £25 a moth for the 4MB service, which does not get shaped until you cross the 750MB limit. You also seem to be able to know exactly what I use the internet for, well you are clearly wrong. I do download plenty (legally) and also publish many web sites, etc. What I don't do is have my machine sat there all night illegally downloading movies via a BitTorrent. It is very easy to come up with an example of a child legitimately using the internet, but the main culprits that have caused this are the people who have no consideration for others property or the effect they cause by over use.

How long would it take to download the 366MB file you quoted using the 2MB service the 'fictional' user is on? (after all you specified the 350MB limit so it must be a 2MB service). Better still just get the kid to download it at the weekend during the day when the limits do not apply.

Again another great suggestion from a VM Eco Warrier LOL "If you dont like it then do one!!!"

epson
08-05-2007, 17:12
It seem's many of you peep's have forgotten....we are british and love paying through the nose,i personally dont care what my neighbour or more my area download's,i am a heavy downloader,if a company offer's you 20mb,what are you going to do with it,i can tell you ...i will bang the living day's out of it,4 hour's shaped,no problem,there is still 20 hour's left in the day, i did'nt ask for the 20mb ,they gave it to me.

Sirpingalot
08-05-2007, 17:21
It seem's many of you peep's have forgotten....we are british and love paying through the nose,i personally dont care what my neighbour or more my area download's,i am a heavy downloader,if a company offer's you 20mb,what are you going to do with it,i can tell you ...i will bang the living day's out of it,4 hour's shaped,no problem,there is still 20 hour's left in the day, i did'nt ask for the 20mb ,they gave it to me.

You should be responsible in how much you download.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

To be honest, I can't even remember the last thing I downloaded! I occassionaly use the connection for the odd youtube video, but more than anything else, I chose Virgin for the great ping times...being an avid gamer. Of course, it's nice knowing you've got a lot of bandwidth backing you up when you need it though *Touches wood*.

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 17:22
Ofcoarse he is, its not your responsiblilty but its also not your business or anyone but his and the ISP who used to offer a great service and still mislead new customers.

BTW epson you wont get unshaped traffic for the other 20hours of the day, you will be shaped every time you go over your limit for 4 hours each time between them timelines, not sure how many times you could be shaped in that timeline practically though witohut doing the sums.

parky
08-05-2007, 17:41
Parky thats crap as you stated what would anyone need to download 350MB for so pointing to users on the 2meg speed, I came back with 1 very valid file to prove 350MB is nothing these days and dont tell lies, you were the one that specified a 350MB limit so I knew it was talking about the 2meg service, the proof is bellow.

Quote:

" Will this even affect you?
What the hell are you downloading that this will affect you, or should I not ask? ".

Seems you dont know what you mean, my reply showed 1 HD Game trailer that was over 350MB, and I did like my service before NTL took over and oversubsribed the UBR's then introduced Shaping to cover there backsides, so your are the fool for taking it all lying down and getting shafted for some lacking service you may not have signed up for years ago, and I can bet you anything that VM want my service more than yours as of the cash I pay them per month, so much so I have had and still have deals to keep me with them, not so much the money side of things that keeps me but the promise of things will be fixed so its only to tide me over but I will go if its not addressed.

From your posts and reponces and lies about statements you make but claim others made them even though we can easily quote your posts points out to me you are clueless and if we all were like you VM would have us all on 56k or 128k with crappy caps and sky high prices.

Yes I did quote 350Mb downloads, in respect to your usage.
I did not say come up with a file that would use up the 350MB, that was the start of another point you decided to raise.

I find your posts quite offensive and personal.

I too spend lots of money with Virgin and have a good deal from them at the moment to keep my custom. The problem I was seeing and got compensation for was poor speeds during peak periods, hence my support for traffic shaping.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

And that's your very cleverly thought out response I take it. Thanks for that, now I know your reasoning I now know that it's pointless to read anything from you on this matter. :rolleyes:

Some people just can't see the woods for trees.

To put it another way - "You pay your money, you make your choice"

If you are not happy with the service there is very little you can do about it other than leave and try another service provider.

It was a very honest response I gave, rather than all this 'ranting' that people do in here, all talk and no action.

Moan all you like, you are stuck with traffic shaping unless to leave! FACT

parky
08-05-2007, 17:43

Typical selfish attitude of Britain today, that's one of the reasons our society is in the mess it is in.

Take, take, take!

epson
08-05-2007, 17:47
I agree,roll on the 50mb.

Safeman
08-05-2007, 18:29
True m8 look @ other countrys man 100mb we are way behind man we live in the past compared to most countries these days

Paul
08-05-2007, 19:05
I strongly suggest that some recent posters in this thread take a break and think very carefully before posting again, warnings and suspensions are just around the corner.

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 19:07
Hmm see a few posts removed, off topic, if you want to kill your limit grab the free full game avail today :D

CellFactor: Revolution Free Full Game
Playable even if you do not have the Physx accelator card

CellFactor: Revolution Free Full Game (859.6MB)

http://www.gamershell.com/news/38286.html

Servers are overloaded though you wont get great speeds. (been like this for 2weeks now)

PAYNEARDO
08-05-2007, 19:11
Please correct me if I am wrong the traffic shaping will come in to force if I download more than 3 gig each day during the hours of 4 till 12pm ??

If so why does my speed decrease even if I have not download anything ?? to around 4mbs ??

helmutcheese
08-05-2007, 19:12
1st part yes thats correct.

2nd part because the network is a mess and oversubscribed.

peanut
08-05-2007, 19:14
Please correct me if I am wrong the traffic shaping will come in to force if I download more than 3 gig each day during the hours of 4 till 12pm ??

If so why does my speed decrease even if I have not download anything ?? to around 4mbs ??

That's exactly the way it is for me now as well. From 4pm onwards till about 1am my speeds are a crawl, yet I haven't used 100mb of the 3gig 'allowance' yet.

It maybe because a lot of work is going on and it might settle down later, I hope that's the case. Now being on 20mb I don't think I could download 3 gig in 8 hours anyway at the mo.

PAYNEARDO
08-05-2007, 19:16
1st part yes thats correct.

2nd part because the network is a mess and oversubscribed.

cheers so even without taffic shaping I get slower speeds than somebody who has downloaded over their 3 gig allocation with taffic shaping !!

Now thats fair !! :confused: :confused:

The Jackal
08-05-2007, 19:18

I still can't see evidence of this happening maybe its a bit more involved than the 4-12pm rule.

I'm not a heavy user but have been maxing my connection out to test the theory and as such have not been throttled back yet. Maybe there are additional triggers like for example percentage of max bandwidth used over a week/month and maybe the throttling only comes into play if the UBR is approaching peak net usage.

For now just assume that between 4-12 there is the possibility that you'll be throttled. :confused:

supercyber
08-05-2007, 19:48
is the traffic shaping on all areas then, coz well today i download at least 20gigs and around 9gigs of those are after 4pm, my sppeds are still full. i been testing 24/7 downloads for the past 3-4 days, and nothink happpedn to my speeds.

Sirpingalot
08-05-2007, 19:49
Have you recived the 20mbit upgrade yet?

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

If you have, then that is weird. But nice to hear, anyway :)

The Jackal
08-05-2007, 19:52
is the traffic shaping on all areas then, coz well today i download at least 20gigs and around 9gigs of those are after 4pm, my sppeds are still full. i been testing 24/7 downloads for the past 3-4 days, and nothink happpedn to my speeds.

Someone get his IP and report him, lets get him shaped up nicely :D

Just kidding I'm in the same boat as you - I'm also testing the waters by downloading a few gigs of crap that I don't need ;)

supercyber
08-05-2007, 19:56
Someone get his IP and report him, lets get him shaped up nicely :D

Just kidding I'm in the same boat as you - I'm also testing the waters by downloading a few gigs of crap that I don't need ;)

lol got scared thier 4 a bit lol,

yea mabe is only new customers who getting shapped, i been with blueyonder 4 5 years, and mabe they cant shape older customers? possibliblty? oh by the way there no technical reason, i meant it as, when older customer signed on, therre was no AUP i beleve.

but i dont get y ppl saying shapping is good think, if i am paying 10Mbit/second connection then i exptec to get the 80gig or so bandwidth everyday. i pay for this god dam connection. end of story :)

rogerdraig
08-05-2007, 21:05
Hmm, a bit of contradiction in 2 sentances above, 1minute ban all heavy users, next complain you cant use the 20meg as much as you like.

I think you need to try google that finding a few weeks ago (sure its linked to on the forum) where as the top 5% make up little of the total traffic used its mostly the middle "Joe six pack" users who take most of the bandwidth as they far outnumber others users.

not a contradiction at all if AUP says that they cant do what they do then kick them off ( UNFORTUNEATELY it doesn't say that very clearly )

but either way i dont see why i should get shapped ( and i dont download 100s of gigs a month ) because i have the teareminity to use the service when i am home and not in bed.

as it stands i see a AUP that is useless and an advertised service that is most definately once they enforce this not as advertised

Steve-o||[^]
09-05-2007, 01:25
...well today i download at least 20gigs and around 9gigs of those are after 4pm, my sppeds are still full. i been testing 24/7 downloads for the past 3-4 days, and nothink happpedn to my speeds.

LOL! lubricating the system, eh?

yesterdays and a few hours of today`s traffic;
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/05/155.png

i just don`t know when i`m gonna get round to installing all these flavours of *nix :D

PS. I consider myself an a medium user \n/,

supercyber
09-05-2007, 07:44
;34298375']LOL! lubricating the system, eh?

yesterdays and a few hours of today`s traffic;
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/05/155.png

i just don`t know when i`m gonna get round to installing all these flavours of *nix :D

PS. I consider myself an a medium user \n/,

lol the way i see it, efficent use of my connection, u gotta get ur moneys worth right lol.

yea i am thinkink we should all do a attatck on the VM network, everyone go and downloadd large legal files, like different distros of liux out there lol. each of those is around u700mb, even better get the dvd versions. lol come on ppl let show vm how we can f em up.

Locky
09-05-2007, 17:31
lol the way i see it, efficent use of my connection, u gotta get ur moneys worth right lol.

yea i am thinkink we should all do a attatck on the VM network, everyone go and downloadd large legal files, like different distros of liux out there lol. each of those is around u700mb, even better get the dvd versions. lol come on ppl let show vm how we can f em up.

that would be funny if a good few people did that cud cripple the network haha

RXP
09-05-2007, 17:35

And then Virgin respond with hard download limits :angel:

Everyone needs to chill, it's the internets. Calm down!

kar
09-05-2007, 19:43
Surprisingly, just have done a little over 750 meg now, and I'm not capped. Has something changed?

*Edit* by a little I mean close to a gig.