PDA

View Full Version : 100KB/s on 10meg?

lezwez
07-05-2007, 13:41
hi just like to say hello as im new here with a little question.

i just start with a little story i have been with cable for around 6 months and just used to use the internet for email and looking at basic things with no problems.

i just upgraded to the 10 meg service with virgin and was quite happy untill i started to play online games i noticed that when i play online i get a latencey of around 150 on a uk server.

now that was just the start of the problem so i contacted virgin on a numours amount of times they 3/4 times and they finaly sent an engineer out to fix the problem

these are my current signal levels for a DPX100 modem webstar

Downstream Channel

Power Level
-5.37 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
34 dB

Bit Rate
10240000 bps

Upstream Channel

power level
42.50 dBmV

Bit Rate
384000 bps

now i have no idea what this information is or does

the engineer came out and stuck some more wires on the modem kind or metal things that connect on the cable into the modem he said to me befor that my downstream dbmv was to strong and he had to reduce the levels by adding these things.

befor these signal thingys were added i used to have 95 percent of my download speed of 10 meg and was never complaing at download something at that speed as i got what i paid for the same with my upload speeds i never had a problem.

now i can't get above 100 KB on my downstream at tops i phoned up complaining and i was told the server im download from is to blame because it does not provide that speed to download from i have the same problem with torrents now.

i know the above is lies because the server i use does because i had no problems before hXXp://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/

Thats the site i use to test and torrents as they are allways 100 percent speed 1.1 mbps will used to be.

What i would like to know is for my conection and modem What Should my power levles and stuff be TO be working at the best it can ever work at what could the experts here please recomend.

i can remove these things but how do i know what is right for me i know this is not right but just correct i have nearly 5 of these extentions on the cable.

Paul H
07-05-2007, 13:48
i was told the server im download from is to blame because it does not provide that speed to download from

i know the above is lies because the server i use does because i had no problems before hXXp://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/

Did they know that the server that they said doesn't provide that kind of speed, was the game demo one?

pacific202x
07-05-2007, 13:52
i dont know the technical stuff but my signal levels are very different to yours...did you mean you have 5 cables attatched together that lead from the terminal on the wall to your modem?

do a speedtest on this site http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ and post your results...

lezwez
07-05-2007, 14:13
these things they are atached to the cable itself one of them has -3db writen on it there is around 5 join together the others have writeing but has been peeled off for some strange reason.

@ paul H

i never mensioned the server or server name but i know 100 percent this server is fully capable or transmitting 10 meg down it's line because i have used it many time..

i can never get a stright answear from them so i can't argue nothing all i can say it is worse than it used to be

i have phoned them and they said everything looks fine

it seems only my upload speed is fine and not the download which is strange

could it be a result of damp wireing or something along those lines?

i done the speed test

download 2973kbps

upload 356

papa smurf
07-05-2007, 14:46
these things they are atached to the cable itself one of them has -3db writen on it there is around 5 join together the others have writeing but has been peeled off for some strange reason.

@ paul H

i never mensioned the server or server name but i know 100 percent this server is fully capable or transmitting 10 meg down it's line because i have used it many time..

i can never get a stright answear from them so i can't argue nothing all i can say it is worse than it used to be

i have phoned them and they said everything looks fine

it seems only my upload speed is fine and not the download which is strange

could it be a result of damp wireing or something along those lines?

i done the speed test

download 2973kbps

upload 356

the things are attenuators ,they are there to alter your incomming signal ,but should only be one of them not 5 try without them ,and then keep adding one at a time see if speed alters

sstainer
07-05-2007, 15:26
i have found usin tcp optimizer works a treat
http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

can configure the settings on your pc to allow full use of the bandwidth thats incoming /outgoing etc worth a try at least

lezwez
07-05-2007, 15:43
downstream channle

power level 9.62dbmv

signal to noise ratio 26Db

upstream channel

power level 28.00dbmv

this one is without the atatchments to the cable. with this i get full speeds but then virgin tell me the dmbv levles are to high and i lag on games.

the second set of stats which i discribbed above is with the cable and virgin say it's fine but then i get 100 KB/s so what am i todo and who says what is right if virgin say its good then it must be i suppose . i will just wait a few days for the rain to go away.

Thanks for the help i will give that optimizer a go as well

i will be around tomorow as pub time calls

R HOOD
07-05-2007, 18:54
downstream channle

power level 9.62dbmv

signal to noise ratio 26Db

upstream channel

power level 28.00dbmv

this one is without the atatchments to the cable. with this i get full speeds but then virgin tell me the dmbv levles are to high and i lag on games.

the second set of stats which i discribbed above is with the cable and virgin say it's fine but then i get 100 KB/s so what am i todo and who says what is right if virgin say its good then it must be i suppose . i will just wait a few days for the rain to go away.

Thanks for the help i will give that optimizer a go as well

i will be around tomorow as pub time calls

Your downsteam levels are to high, this is causing your signal to noise ratio to drop. If your signal to noise gets to low, then you'll start to notice a decrease in speed (due to packet loss).

Play around with the attenuators and aim for between +2db to -2db, This should bring up your signal to noise above 30db, (anything above 30db is ok) This is the theshold i ussally work to.

Dont be to alarmed if your levels drop a lot lower than -2db, as long as you have a decent signal to noise you should not have a problem.

lezwez
07-05-2007, 21:36
ok i have taken your advice i think you mixed up reading my post i started off with saying that i was online gaming with a 9.55 dbvm downstream channel
and upload stream was 29.55 dbmv this is when i used to lag with online gameing But I allways had full speed with my downloads this is why im confused.

i have taken your adviace and now

Downstream Channel

Power Level
0.77 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
35 dB

Upstream Channel

Power Level
36.50 dBmV

Dpx100 Modem

Would you say this is perfect?

i will do the speed testing tomorow 6 am as i have to get up for my morning dutyies and let you know the results.

Thanks for the help

Lezwez

R HOOD
08-05-2007, 14:34
Downstream Channel

Power Level
0.77 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
35 dB

Upstream Channel

Power Level
36.50 dBmV

Dpx100 Modem

Would you say this is perfect?

i will do the speed testing tomorow 6 am as i have to get up for my morning dutyies and let you know the results.

Thanks for the help

Lezwez

Spot on. I find the most reliable way of doing a speed test, is to go to Microsoft and download a nice big 10Mb file. I have never trusted the results of online speed test sites.

lezwez
08-05-2007, 17:10
i have done the speed test thingy from the same site just now i am getting

4443 download

when i download from the demo site which i presented i got around 350 KB/s
im still short 800.

i understand now how the levles should be because your all telling me that this is spot on now and so is virgin But why when i take these clips off i get full speed in my download and not now so the to much power was causeing the lag problems i think

The good thing is im not lagging with my online gameing so we fixed one issue and slumped with another.

Thanks again

Safeman
08-05-2007, 21:20
am on 10mb near manchester anyone getting slow speeds getting 500kb/s really slow and getting loads of choke when online gaming

lezwez
09-05-2007, 14:40
looks as i just have to put up with it and just choose if i want fast download or play online

Thanks all

kryogenik
09-05-2007, 15:27
am on 10mb near manchester anyone getting slow speeds getting 500kb/s really slow and getting loads of choke when online gaming
I'm in MCR and found a crashed STB this morning. Since rebooting it, I've never experienced speeds as good on my 4mb connection.
Typical. Speed gets good in time for the throttling..

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/05/141.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/05/53.jpg

Icoms07
09-05-2007, 15:54
i have found usin tcp optimizer works a treat
http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

can configure the settings on your pc to allow full use of the bandwidth thats incoming /outgoing etc worth a try at least

Ive used this and it really does work.. Im staff and I was getting 4mb untill support gave me this link as soon as i optimised i shot straight to 10mb!!!