PDA

View Full Version : advice for counter strike source settings?

Brodel
06-05-2007, 19:22
Hi,

I used to run counter strike source on Virgin's 4mb broadband and a Linksys BEFSR41. I was having trouble getting servers to show up and read that the BEFSR41 had trouble playing it so I got a WRT54G and have flashed it to the latest dd-wrt firmware. At first it was fine, I was getting ~750 servers showing up with pings below 50, servers not full and secured with anti cheat. I gave CS:S a break and have recently gotten back into it, but now I'm having the same problem with literally 5 or so servers below 50ping. I'm now on 10mb too, I've changed the QoS settings for counter strike source, reduced the TCP and UDP timeout and tweaked the game itself but still no luck. My internet speeds are fine, but for some reason I'm getting hardly any servers and it's very frustrating as it used to work just fine after getting the new router.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas? My other two friends on 4mb and connected to the same cable area in SW London as me have no problem and have always had lower pings than me even when my game was working fine. Thanks

Chris Davo
06-05-2007, 19:32
That seems odd, i think its probably something to do with your modem. What modem have you got?

Brodel
06-05-2007, 19:41
That seems odd, i think its probably something to do with your modem. What modem have you got?

It's a WebSTAR DPX100 v1.0

edit: I've just read that this modem doesn't support the full 20mb upgrade. On a side note, the 25 quid charge is only if you need a tech to install it right, otherwise it's free? I imagine I could do it myself. Which modems are they sending out as replacements at the moment? thanks :)

http://abcde.co.uk/virginmedia/broadband-faq.html#q09