PDA

View Full Version : Getting upgrade from 1MB to 2MB help advise needed.

funkyCable
04-05-2007, 11:04
Hi,

I've just looked on my virgin media statement to find that I'm still on a 1MB Connection which I have had since joining back in 2005 with the 3 for £30 offer. On my account it says that I am being charged £17.99 for a 1MB connection. I was thinking of upgrading my broadband to 2MB for exactly the same price however I have the old PACE 2000 setup box which is connecting my broadband for me. If I upgrade will they/me be forced into having a cable modem? If so will there be a charge or a straight swap out. I am moving soon so I was wondering whether I should get them to upgrade my broadband at the same time. Whats the benefits of having a cable modem over a STB?

dontpannic
04-05-2007, 11:20
Hi,

I've just looked on my virgin media statement to find that I'm still on a 1MB Connection which I have had since joining back in 2005 with the 3 for £30 offer. On my account it says that I am being charged £17.99 for a 1MB connection. I was thinking of upgrading my broadband to 2MB for exactly the same price however I have the old PACE 2000 setup box which is connecting my broadband for me. If I upgrade will they/me be forced into having a cable modem? If so will there be a charge or a straight swap out. I am moving soon so I was wondering whether I should get them to upgrade my broadband at the same time. Whats the benefits of having a cable modem over a STB?

The Pace boxes can handle 2 meg fine IIRC, if not, Virgin will send out a Cable modem free of charge - you just connect a splitter and hook up the modem. Took me all of 10 minutes to get 10meg set up after recieving the modem.

funkyCable
04-05-2007, 11:26
Could anybody else confirm this as I'm sure I've seen some where that they only do 1MB cus of their age and that the new samsung stb can do 4MB connections? What about the main benefits of the two?

xpod
04-05-2007, 11:42
When i upgraded from 1mb to the 4mb last year i got the engineer & the modem free of charge.Cant see that it be much different for the 1mb to 2mb.

I dont know about exact technical "advantages" really but obviously with the modem you dont need to have STB`s on just to get on the internet.Previously if something went wrong with our STB it would usually be both TV & net that were off so i think the modem is a big advantage in that way.

Crypto
04-05-2007, 13:55
I recently went down this route and had to have a cable modem.

Beware of the following:

The technician just plugged it in and didn't confirm that it worked.
When I had a go, the installation CD software crashed several times. After 3 calls to India it transpires that whoever dealt with my upgrade request should have sent me a new account number and password by snail mail.:shocked:
They will set up a direct debit in a new account just for the modem. They send you a bill via email to a new email address that is generated automatically, only trouble is they don't tell you what it is.:confused:
3 months down the line you get cut off for not paying the bill that you know nothing about. :dozey:

Good luck.