PDA

View Full Version : PC Guard question

ahu
03-05-2007, 23:12
I have just loaded a laptop with win2000 pro and my father in law had added broardband to his virgin account to use this laptop. I had no trouble in setting up his account which included pc guard install from the CD, the problem I am having is from time to time he gets pop ups (messenger windows) 3 of 4 an hour, saying there are issues with the registery or problems with file system and suggesting he go to a web site to down load some clean up software.

I have run the scanning software within PC guard and it finds no spam or virus's on the pc.

Today I download a spam and virus from microsoft and this scaned the PC and found no issues

Could it be these are getting through the PC Guard software or is it more likley the are on the PC any ideas?

chickendippers
03-05-2007, 23:31
If you could post a screenshot of the message we can tell you if it's from PC Guard or not. But if it's asking you to download something, it's probably not PC Guard.

r00t
04-05-2007, 00:15
No my friend, what you are seeing is a popup, this is not pcguard.
And if you wish to free up some system resources then remove pcguard. It is a system hog and I wouldn't give it room on my pc.

My thoughts on pcguard are not that of VirginMedia and are purely my own preferences

ahu
04-05-2007, 11:28
The pop up is not being issue by PC Guard, I will try and attach a screen shot when I next go round

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 11:33
not sure about where it is on win2000 but you can disable messenger (its nothing to do with private messaging like msn etc but to do with internal network messenging thats often abused)

how to here http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/ it appears to be same place as usual

right click my comp select manage then services browse to messenger and click disable (easier way than above if this dont work follow above)

also run this little app http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm and disable it if its enabled

englishpaul
04-05-2007, 11:42
I have just loaded a laptop with win2000 pro and my father in law had added broardband to his virgin account to use this laptop. I had no trouble in setting up his account which included pc guard install from the CD, the problem I am having is from time to time he gets pop ups (messenger windows) 3 of 4 an hour, saying there are issues with the registery or problems with file system and suggesting he go to a web site to down load some clean up software.

I have run the scanning software within PC guard and it finds no spam or virus's on the pc.

Today I download a spam and virus from microsoft and this scaned the PC and found no issues

Could it be these are getting through the PC Guard software or is it more likley the are on the PC any ideas?

You need to disable the Messenger Service.

Windows 2000:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Messenger Service > Stop button
[In the drop down box select] Startup Type = DISABLE
OK to close everything

Please note that his disables the Messenger Service only and does not affect Windows/MSN Messenger.

zing_deleted
04-05-2007, 11:43
wish I thought of that

englishpaul
04-05-2007, 12:20
wish I thought of that

LOL!

:blush:

fireman328
05-05-2007, 18:11
This may seem a silly question but, I am on VM with adsl, I have a .NET e-mail address.
Could I download PCGuard as my anti virus etc.

zing_deleted
05-05-2007, 18:27
dont anyway use avast

englishpaul
05-05-2007, 18:31
This may seem a silly question but, I am on VM with adsl, I have a .NET e-mail address.
Could I download PCGuard as my anti virus etc.

Possibly, but I reckon you'd be better served by AVG 7.5 Free (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-virus/uk/crp/2).

fireman328
05-05-2007, 18:55
Thanks for the advice guys, I will bear them in mind when my renewal of Norton comes up

PAYNEARDO
05-05-2007, 19:02
yep avg free with either zone alarm or comodo for your firewall (if XP) or just avg free with built in vista firewall with vista (for now)

Put the PC guard on my mums PC when she went on broadband and it was more trouble that it was worth, kept crashing, caused the pc to slow down and eventually the anti-virus service just wouldn't start. Now the PC is running Ok again with AVG Free, AVG anti-root (Free), AVG anti-spyware (Free) & zone Alarm Free version. What was that saying ?? "The best things in life are free" :) :)

blade85
06-05-2007, 15:29
I used to get that massage. For me it turned out to be a spyware and its one bad spyware to get rid of. The software it directs you to, just google that and type spyware after and you'll see a lot of sites giving you long explanations to get rid of it....if it is infact a spyware.

Oh by the way, if you have spyware doctor, then i think that gets rid of those.

ahu
07-05-2007, 17:48
Thanks Guys
Stopping the windows messenger server has solved the issue